PDA

View Full Version : New Whest PS.30RDT SE arrives today!

Snoopdog
19-06-2010, 08:19
Got up earlier than usual on a Saturday morning to drive to Brentford to exchange my PS.30RDT for a brand spanking new 'SE' edition in black:)

Spoke to James at the Heathrow Show back in April about upgrading my unit to the new spec (from Whest website):-

PEP - PS.30RDT

The ultimate performance upgrade for all PS.30RDTs.
PS.30RDT to PS.30RDT SE spec.
Audio reproduction increased by 70%

1. Larger, wider soundstage
2. Pin-point and ultra stable imaging
3. More rhythmic and musical
4. Valve-like presentation with ultra low noise and high speed
5. Resolution comparable to units costing £7000 ( $10,000US)

All new fully discrete transistor, ultra low noise front end
Ultra matched ClarityCap output capacitors
Re-worked RIAA section using 0.3% matched capacitors
DC coupled front end

James has decided to swap my unit for one of the finished production run models. It's all black and has the new June 2010 rear panel and casework. The new casework allows you to change load and gain settings
without taking the lid off. The access panel is underneath.

Should be back home early this afternoon with a 'first impressions' report and some photos to post!

John
19-06-2010, 08:30
Knowing the quality of James work I preume this will sound awesome and you have the equipment to get the most out of it too

Snoopdog
19-06-2010, 08:35
Thanks John.

I'm rather excited about seeing the new casework with the access panel underneath for adjusting gain and load settings. This should be a major improvement on having to remove the 9 screws in the top panel!

Gotta go now. Back later with my new toy!

chris@panteg
19-06-2010, 09:56
Superb phono stage' i had a good listen at the London show.

Very impressive system you have to go with it .

Marco
19-06-2010, 10:04
Hi Steve,

Great news on your new toy! Have a nice day with James and I look forward to hearing all about said new toy on your return with a full report and pictures in Strokes of Genius :cool:

Enjoy!

Marco.

Snoopdog
19-06-2010, 13:12
Thanks Chris.

I had a very enjoyable two hours in James' workshop at Brentford. Now back and having a sandwich before setup and listening commences.

Marco, I will start a new thread, complete with artwork in Strokes of Genius!

Marco
19-06-2010, 13:14
Lurvely jubbly! :smoking:

Marco.

tom
18-01-2011, 17:26
Would be interested to hear how you are getting on with this phono stage. Did you try out any other phono amps, nagra for instance? I am investigating a new phono myself so any feed back would be useful. Did you consider the very expensive whest reference?:)

John
18-01-2011, 17:51
If you invested in spending that kind of money be worth speaking to Lurcher (Nick) by all accounts he makes amazing phono stages