PDA

View Full Version : Transfiguration cartridges: Phoenix S and Axia S

petrat
14-01-2020, 11:39
For sale: Transfiguration Axia S and Transfiguration Phoenix S cartridges

Although bought new by the seller back in the summer of 2018, these cartridges have had little use since (I bought a Proteus D shortly after).

The company making Transfiguration cartridges (Immutable) went out of business when the founder died in 2018, so this is a rare chance to buy these cartridges in 'lightly used' condition. I keep a log of the sides played (clicker/tally), and the Phoenix S has played 286 sides (approx. 80 hours) and the Axia S 158 sides (approx 55 hours). Originally, the Phoenix S sold for £2795 and the Axia S was £1995.

Selling for:

Axia S £1200
Phoenix S £1750

Price includes UK delivery.

https://i.imgur.com/NTD6Q6t.jpg

petrat
19-01-2020, 23:25
Top class cartridges, low mileage, one careful owner.

petrat
23-01-2020, 17:01
There are many reviews of Transfiguration cartridges available, all praising them, especially for their clarity and neutrality. I had a Spirit 3 on a SME 10+IV for many years, and can confirm that these more modern cartridges carry on the Immutable tradition of 'getting out of the way' and presenting exactly what's on the vinyl. They work well with most normal (medium-mass) tonearms, and are not in any way 'difficult' in their demands. They are both good 'all-rounders', ime shining on everything from electronica through to Lieder. Both generate a healthy 0.4 millivolt output and work best into a standard 100 Ohm load. They have very similar presentations, quick and dynamic, with the Phoenix S offering slight improvements in sound-staging, finer detail and micro-dynamics. Barely run-in ... they have more than 97% of their expected lifetime still ahead of them.

petrat
25-01-2020, 20:47
Axia S now reserved.

Phoenix S still available ... price reduced to £1600

WESTLOWER
25-01-2020, 22:15
Really surprised either is still here tbh.
Rarely up for sale and these top quality cartridges are amazing.
Peter is Also fastidious with his kit especially his cartridges.
I ribbed him about the multiple clicker counter thingies next to his TTs. :)

petrat
26-01-2020, 08:50
Clickers work fine ... it's my maths that's dodgy. Of course, 286 sides is more like 90-100 hours, not 80 :doh:

Anyway, Phoenix S still available at £1600.

Happy to demonstrate if you're within striking range of M1/M6 junction ... it's a class act, and I'm sure it won't disappoint.

Kneesup
26-01-2020, 12:59
PM sent

petrat
31-01-2020, 11:21
Now SOLD

Wakefield Turntables
07-02-2020, 18:16
Hi have you sold both?

petrat
08-02-2020, 12:32
PM sent, Andrew

petrat
29-02-2020, 08:35
The situation indicated in post 4 has now changed, and the Axia S is available again.

Price reduction to £1100

Lurch
29-02-2020, 17:57
I picked up an Axia S a couple of weeks back after missing out on this one (or so I thought). Thought I would see what all the hype was, and DAMN!!! it made my Sumiko Pearwood Celebration2, which is no slouch, sound like a rusty nail by comparison, it really does deserve all its accolades.
Unless you've got lots of ££s to play with this really is all the cart you'll ever need. Deep textured bass, open detailed Mids, open airey sweet table, without sounding etched or putting a spotlight on any frequency, it really is beautifully balanced.
Also very very easy to install, took me 10 mins to have it playing followed by about 30 mins of tweaking to get it spot bollock, using an Avid mirrored protractor, clear vta/azimuth block and digi scales.
Do your ears a favour and put your hand in your pocket.

petrat
05-03-2020, 15:49
Thanks, John for the wise words :thumbsup:

Long shot I know, but if anyone interested in the Axia S has an Edwards Audio MC3 phonostage they're not using, then PM to discuss a deal. (Only interested in the MC3, not other phonostages).

Kneesup
06-03-2020, 11:38
I picked up an Axia S a couple of weeks back after missing out on this one (or so I thought). Thought I would see what all the hype was, and DAMN!!! it made my Sumiko Pearwood Celebration2, which is no slouch, sound like a rusty nail by comparison, it really does deserve all its accolades.
Unless you've got lots of ££s to play with this really is all the cart you'll ever need. Deep textured bass, open detailed Mids, open airey sweet table, without sounding etched or putting a spotlight on any frequency, it really is beautifully balanced.
Also very very easy to install, took me 10 mins to have it playing followed by about 30 mins of tweaking to get it spot bollock, using an Avid mirrored protractor, clear vta/azimuth block and digi scales.
Do your ears a favour and put your hand in your pocket.

What a generous and wonderful affirmation and recommendation. Proper forum contribution. Great post, John.

petrat
01-04-2020, 13:06
Axia S still available.

Final price reduction: £950

Superb cartridge, now less than half price - less than 60 hours.

petrat
12-04-2020, 19:37
Sunday evening bump.

petrat
30-04-2020, 08:07
Still available at £950 ovno

petrat
03-05-2020, 14:24
Now SOLD