PDA

View Full Version : New Vinyl

Made in 1968
10-01-2020, 23:49
In the early 80's i noticed a sudden decline in LP sound quality etc, basically downgrading a good format. No suprise that CD was on the take over. With all the promotion of CD being apparently fantastic, the best thing sinces sliced bread..Scratch em, put your fags out on em, even wipe your arse on em they will still play, No Crackles, Pops or distortion un like on a record.

Nowadays that so called poor sounding Vinyl format is the in thing again, Masses of stuff is being pressed, CD is on its last legs etc etc, Like a total reverse of back when CD was becoming fash

:scratch:

Pigmy Pony
11-01-2020, 07:42
Except that much of the new vinyl is still crap, but for different reasons.

Pierre De Grenoble
11-01-2020, 12:31
or even albums that are advertised as 180g but when you weigh them they turn out to be 165g :scratch:

Made in 1968
11-01-2020, 12:49
I call em CD's on vinyl. The thing is they have that many issues you may as well buy the CD..

Good old Greg you tell em

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/greg-lake-on-why-elp-reissues-wont-be-on-heavyweight-180g-vinyl/

AJSki2fly
11-01-2020, 17:27
In the early 80's i noticed a sudden decline in LP sound quality etc, basically downgrading a good format. No suprise that CD was on the take over. With all the promotion of CD being apparently fantastic, the best thing sinces sliced bread..Scratch em, put your fags out on em, even wipe your arse on em they will still play, No Crackles, Pops or distortion un like on a record.

Nowadays that so called poor sounding Vinyl format is the in thing again, Masses of stuff is being pressed, CD is on its last legs etc etc, Like a total reverse of back when CD was becoming fash

:scratch:

My understanding from what I have been told is there are various reasons.

Poor source material i.e. not the original master and worse of all an old and not very good digital master from the first CD version.
Using a digital re-mix that has been done for modern on the go listening with headphones, which has serious compression and loss of dynamics as a result.
Lack of care by the engineer when cutting the new acetate, or even in-experienced.
Re-cycled vinyl used that has not had the paper labels removed properly before being melted down.
Too much carbon added to the vinyl, causing high levels of static on playback.

I expect that there are many other reasons as well. Having said all that I have some very new vinyl from new artists and also some re-releases that are great, but it is a bit of a lottery, I try and go by recommended re-releases from friends or magazines(not always accurate though). If I can I try and source original pressings that are NM.

Shovel_Knight
11-01-2020, 18:01
I think I'm just about to give up on new vinyl.

In December/January I bought 5 new records and 6 used records in EX/NM condition (from the 70s or earlier).

Out of 5 new records, one is slightly decentered on both sides, one is severely decentered on one side, one is severely warped and one is warped and decentered. 1 out of 5 is good.

6 used records: 5 are perfect, 1 is ever so slightly warped.

AJSki2fly
11-01-2020, 18:08
I think I'm just about to give up on new vinyl.

In December/January I bought 5 new records and 6 used records in EX/NM condition.

Out of 5 new records, one is slightly decentered on both sides, one is severely decentered on one side, one is severely warped and one is warped and decentered. 1 out of 5 is good.

6 used records: 5 are perfect, 1 is ever so slightly warped.

Strange and annoying, I have not experienced that level of poor quality, I have one record from Mondo, Prometheus (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack), annoyingly there are some clicks on side 3 which is due to poorly re-cycled vinyl.

struth
11-01-2020, 18:15
If you know goid secondhand sellers at least you know they have been tested/checked.
New can be a lottery, and some unscrupulous sellers could sell returns again by resealing them.
When I bought second hand I had a few good sellers I could rely on

Shovel_Knight
11-01-2020, 18:27
Strange and annoying, I have not experienced that level of poor quality, I have one record from Mondo, Prometheus (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack), annoyingly there are some clicks on side 3 which is due to poorly re-cycled vinyl.

It was some really bad luck. 2 records went back to Amazon, the rest were unfortunately bought online while I was on vacation, so I have to live with them. The slightly decentered one plays OK since it doesn't contain any piano music, and the warped one is playable with a clamp.

Made in 1968
11-01-2020, 21:13
My last new Vinyl buys before i jacked in last time was the Pink Floyd albums. Out of the twelve i bought the same amount went back for exchange.

In addition to that i just could not hack the sound of them, they sounded no different to the same editions on CD with added noise, which seems a very odd thing to do adding noise & distortion on to what is suppose to be a perfectly clear digital programme .So people who say they sound great is just the same impression they would get from the same the CD.. Other factors are things like The first three of their albums had back flap construction, this detail has obviously been recognised but just printed on the back of the sleeves as an imitation . They cannot be arsed to construct the sleeves properly to make this detail close to the original. Charge a couple quid more ffks & do a real job. However the D.S.O.T.M, W.Y.W.H , Animals & The Wall sleeves & labels are good but again the sound is very CD to my ears, they even had the very same glitches i can hear on the CD versions .. & because of that it has to be original Analogue pressings from now..

I doubt im wrong if i say the largest percentage of new record buyers are younger people that have never bought a pre CD all analogue vinyl pressing in their lives.. Call it hip to own vinyl but in all truth they are listening to what is nothing but a CD behind a vinyl smoke screen. If these new vinyls never existed you can bet your bottom dollar they would not be buying old Vinyls because they would not hack the sound compared to CD.

AJSki2fly
11-01-2020, 21:54
Charge a couple quid more ffks & do a real job. However the D.S.O.T.M, W.Y.W.H , Animals & The Wall sleeves & labels are good but again the sound is very CD to my ears, they even had the very same glitches i can hear on the CD versions .. & because of that it has to be original Analogue pressings from now..

By coincidence I was listening to DSOTHM today, I put on my 1st press 5th run, so from the year of release. I also have a re-release version, to be honest I cannot differentiate between them. I will have another listen tomorrow and do some back to back comparisons.

Shovel_Knight
11-01-2020, 21:58
To be fair, I have some 80s pressings which were recorded digitally in the first place. Some sound like crap, but some (e.g. Passion, Grace & Fire by McLaughlin, Di Meola and Paco de Lucía) are very good indeed.

Made in 1968
11-01-2020, 23:50
By coincidence I was listening to DSOTHM today, I put on my 1st press 5th run, so from the year of release. I also have a re-release version, to be honest I cannot differentiate between them. I will have another listen tomorrow and do some back to back comparisons.

Ok but i can hear the difference straight away..

Made in 1968
12-01-2020, 00:35
To be fair, I have some 80s pressings which were recorded digitally in the first place. Some sound like crap, but some (e.g. Passion, Grace & Fire by McLaughlin, Di Meola and Paco de Lucía) are very good indeed.

Early Digital multitrack machines were used in the begining of the 80's but the giant costs were mind blowing only accessable to the very few major artists. Mitsubishi 'X800' & Sony 'PCM 3324' were the early machines .. But still using Analogue tape.

Sony PCM processors with U-Matic machines were also how Analogue was transfered to CD.. So you see Early digital recordings were not 100% Digital as CDs were not 100% Digital in nature. The first commercial cheap studio multitrack machines were Alesis ADAT' 8 Trackers in the early 90's which could be Connected together in multiples to give more tracks but still used S-VHS tapes, DAT Machines were also tape. i think the first True multitrack digital recording was not until the mid 90's Otari 'RADAR' system which used multiple Hard Drives for storage..

AJSki2fly
12-01-2020, 17:49
View Post

Ok but i can hear the difference straight away..

So I had a listen and to be completely honest I find their is only a slight difference, between the 2 vinyl copies I have, 1st press 5th run and 2016 5099902987613 180gm re-release. I also have it on CD neither Vinyls sound like the CD.

The later version has been re-mastered and in my opinion it sounds slightly warmer than the original release, but this is very subjective IMHO, and it certainly does not sound inferior in any way.

Can you give me and example of an Album where you have experienced a noticeable difference.

Made in 1968
12-01-2020, 17:58
I think ive not come across correctly, I on about the latest Floyd Vinyls & their accompanying CD releases. The Vinyl & CD sound the same to me, Vinyl have that tad of hard edge the same yet the 1st issue sounds more mellow how a record should.. Im also a headphone listener a tad more insight to boot

Wakefield Turntables
12-01-2020, 20:37
OK lets cut the shit. If your going to be a vinyl purist you should only seek AAA recordings, otherwise stop whinging.

prestonchipfryer
12-01-2020, 21:42
:lol:

Made in 1968
13-01-2020, 00:32
OK lets cut the shit. If your going to be a vinyl purist you should only seek AAA recordings, otherwise stop whinging.

You clearly bypassed half what im on about on this weeks posts.. Please keep up ;)

Jac Hawk
07-03-2020, 23:30
Recorded music in all varieties be it LP, CD etc. is a minefield, some stuff recorded in the 70's sounds great some sounds crap and the same can be said for more modern stuff from the 80's, 90's and brand new re release or new music, pretty much everything i have by Joe Bonamassa on vinyl sounds heavily compressed all U2's music with the exception of live under a blood red sky sounds thin and overly bright.

i'd say the best ever sounding vinyl recordings were done at the end of the 70's and early 80's, i think this has more to do with the engineers understanding of the format and how to mix the music in a way to get the best sound from that format, i think nowadays that "art" has been lost. Personally speaking if i can get a good original pressing i would buy that before entertaining a new 180g re issue, having said that i recently bought a new re release of Elton John "Captain Fantastic & the Brown Dirt Cowboy" and was pleased to find it is as good as my original release, less the snap crackle and pop, more surprising still was that the LP's had the same centre stickers and it even came with the booklet and poster.

At the end of the day crap engineering = a crap finished product that's the same back then as it is now, this isn't helped by many re releases being pressed from a CD master, i'd agree with what other have said that a lot of the new LP's being made aren't aimed at the vinyl audiophile but at the nostalgia seekers looking to remind themselves of yesteryear.

Made in 1968
07-03-2020, 23:44
I disagree. The best recording were late 60's/ early 70's before over dubs & all that shit killed the sound. A lot of bands basically played live in the studio & recorded, no messing about. I think only today getting hold of those original master tapes bringing them to the Digital fold clearly shows how good those recordings really were.

Barry
08-03-2020, 08:26
So I had a listen and to be completely honest I find their is only a slight difference, between the 2 vinyl copies I have, 1st press 5th run and 2016 5099902987613 180gm re-release. I also have it on CD neither Vinyls sound like the CD.

The later version has been re-mastered and in my opinion it sounds slightly warmer than the original release, but this is very subjective IMHO, and it certainly does not sound inferior in any way.

Can you give me and example of an Album where you have experienced a noticeable difference.

The later versions are also a remix - just listen to the voices in the background.