PDA

View Full Version : Somrthing has got me !

Audio Al
09-01-2020, 00:33
Started on the way home from work Tuesday , emptied my stomach into a Tesco carrier bag :spew:

Shivering , Sweating , feeling like sh-t :doh:

Daughter recons its neurovirus :(

Hay Ho , All part of life , Hopefully it will sort its self soon :)

Alex_UK
09-01-2020, 00:43
Hope you're better soon Al. Hopefully a "bag for life" and it won't split! :spew:

mikeyb
09-01-2020, 05:57
Fingers crossed it doesn't last, my wife has been in bed with gastric flu since the 26th, hoping to return to work today.

Pigmy Pony
09-01-2020, 08:25
Hope you're better now Allen :) Most people you speak to will predictably say, "Well there is a bug going round". I won't, but I will say there's a fair bit of kimchi going round - you've not been trying that have you?

tapid
09-01-2020, 08:27
Hope you're better soon Al. Hopefully a "bag for life" and it won't split! :spew:

:lol:. Lets hope its not that horrible bug you mentioned Al. Get well soon.

tapid
09-01-2020, 08:28
Hope you're better now Allen :) Most people you speak to will predictably say, "Well there is a bug going round". I won't, but I will say there's a fair bit of kimchi going round - you've not been trying that have you?

Whats Kimchi ?

Pigmy Pony
09-01-2020, 08:36
Whats Kimchi ?

Have a look elsewhere in "Abstract Chat". It's a new thread.

Audio Al
09-01-2020, 09:13
Day 3 and still feel like sh-t :(

Marco
09-01-2020, 09:14
Aids?

Marco.

Audio Al
09-01-2020, 09:26
I dont recall having sex with you :scratch::eek:

Marco
09-01-2020, 09:47
It was Bessie the sheep, during those farmyard frolics in the summer;)

Marco.

struth
09-01-2020, 09:52
hope you shake it off soon, and get back to work:eek:

dave2010
09-01-2020, 09:58
Sorry to hear about this - but we don't want all the gory details (OK - maybe Marco and Pigmy do ...).
Are you going to wash out the bag for life, or bin it?

Hope you feel better soon.

Pigmy Pony
09-01-2020, 17:39
I dont recall having sex with you :scratch::eek:

That'll be the Rohypnol. He's a right rum tinker that Marco :eyebrows:

Audio Al
14-01-2020, 05:29
7 Days later I am now worse :(

I now have all the flu simptoms and huge amounts of snot :rolleyes:

1 infected eye now looks more like a tomato and only opens half way , also squirts out cream puss

Chest infection along with a nagging cough , and the obligitary coughing up chunks :(

I have had enough of this now :steam:

Firebottle
14-01-2020, 07:01
I can commiserate Al. I once had flu plus a throat infection at the same time, I felt like death warmed up.

Get well soon mate.

Audio Al
14-01-2020, 07:08
I can commiserate Al. I once had flu plus a throat infection at the same time, I felt like death warmed up.

Get well soon mate.

Thanks Alan
;)

walpurgis
14-01-2020, 08:48
See the doctor Al. Sounds like an initial viral infection has prompted a bacterial one.

Marco
14-01-2020, 08:53

Get well soon mate.

Yeah, +1 daftee! I could send round nursey with her 'magic sponge', if you like?:eyebrows:

Marco.

dave2010
14-01-2020, 10:11
Sounds to me as though you should seek medical help pronto. Don't want that eye infection getting worse. A&E if all else fails - though I know that many medical places specifically ask patients not to go there if they have a cold or flu type infection. In days of old a doctor would come out to you.

Marco
14-01-2020, 10:28
1 infected eye now looks more like a tomato and only opens half way , also squirts out cream puss

Have you tried it in your coffee?:D

Seriously though dude, that sounds *really* nasty. Defo docs, ASAP, or indeed A&E if it's quicker!

Marco.

struth
14-01-2020, 10:29
sounds like you need antibiotics tbh al.. go see the quack mate

Oddball
14-01-2020, 16:14
I wondered if that turntable you bought a while back had made you feel green Al?? :)

Seriously , get it looked at mate !!

Pigmy Pony
14-01-2020, 17:03
I wondered if that turntable you bought a while back had made you feel green Al?? :)

Seriously , get it looked at mate !!

+1. Sooner rather than later, and don't take any crap from the gatekeepers, aka reception staff. You need to get someone to look at your eye, because if you try to you'll just appear crossed-eyed :(

Audio Al
15-01-2020, 14:59
Went to see the gate keepers who said ( No appontments sorry )

I asked when will you have some more , " Come back at 14.00 "

I went back at 13.59 and managed a appointment at 14.30

The Doc said , You will get better naturally , I said thats what I was told 4 days ago and I now feel worse ,

Can I have a course of antibiotics PLEASE

OK said the Doc , its a 5 day course starting now or when I pick them up

Hopefully now things will start improving :)

Sherwood
15-01-2020, 15:06
If you are suffering a viral infection then your doctor is doing you no favours. In fact, you will be at far greater risk from future bacterial infections. I have a lot of sympathy from grossly overworked GPs who are under pressure from patients to prescribe counter to prescribing guidelines. Did you have a blood test to check for viral infections?

Audio Al
15-01-2020, 15:15
If you are suffering a viral infection then your doctor is doing you no favours. In fact, you will be at far greater risk from future bacterial infections. I have a lot of sympathy from grossly overworked GPs who are under pressure from patients to prescribe counter to prescribing guidelines. Did you have a blood test to check for viral infections?

My 1st appointment was 7th and I was told get on with it , This i did for the next 7 day gradually getting worse

I am not able to work as I feel that bad , Its not normal for me , This is a last resort

Or are you suggeting I just keep getting worse and worse ? :scratch:

Wasent offered a blood test just told to get on with it

Sherwood
15-01-2020, 15:29
What I am saying is that the chronic underfunding of the NHS and GP practice in particular is forcing GPs to take short cuts. My GP practice is down to a single doctor and they cannot recruit a replacement or even find a locum.

Prescribing antibiotics without a proper diagnosis simply puts one at risk from future infections.

Audio Al
15-01-2020, 15:40
I fully understand how A B's work , They wipe out your imune system

I hardly EVER take any medication , Normall just get on with it in a big ruffty tuffty way , this is really getting me down
now 7 days and things getting worse , no signs of any improvement :(

Time to take some action

Stryder5
15-01-2020, 16:34
It’s a popular misconception that the NHS problems are mainly financial. It’s just not true!

I’ve been unfortunate to have spent a fair amount of time since 1992 in various hospitals and departments.

I have been fortunate that during my working life I have had a wide range of employment, I am a trained System Analyst/Architect. For quite a period of time I was lead in proposals leading to the Transition and Transformation of various major Government and Private Corporate companies. Analysing current systems and proposing better use of equipment and processes, the NHS being one.

So from personal and corporate views, I feel I am qualified to comment, rather than accept false information and news, propagating myths.

In most, if not all, Primary Care Trusts there are five layers of highly paid management, this in itself in inefficient and ineffective, their salaries while contributory, finance wise irrelevant.

Currently NHS processes are rooted in the 1960’s.

I’ll come back to this post shortly......food calls.

Gary

Stryder5
15-01-2020, 17:41
Continued from my previous post......

I’ll give you some examples:-

My current Cancer Clinic building was purpose built probably 5 years or so ago. It’s work flow totally bemuses me. Files are kept 2oo metres from Reception. When you enter Reception someone has to go and retrieve your file for distribution to phlebotomy or treatment, probably returning the same 200 metres. The file has to be returned the same distance to Consultant, then back to file store. That’s about 4 different people handling the same file over distance. If the files were stored at the back of Reception ( still in a secure environment). The phlebotomists located next to Reception etc etc....

My cardiac department is kinda chaotic. When you see your Consultant and lets say ( as in my case Pacemaker) some treatment is required the Consultant will use a dictaphone to dictate a letter for his Secretary (think old fashioned) to type. This letter is distributed INTERNALLY to various functionaries. This goes to Coronary dept. that put you on a LIST for appointment. The updated list is sent to Booking for them to confirm and allocate dates and times. This confirmation may not be relayed back to Coronary Dept or to patient. It’s difficult to find out if your on a list as there’s no Governance on the process.

I’ll now refrain from further examples, but it’s true to say that the NHS is dated, mismanaged and out of control on spending. Throwing money at it is a total waste.

Staffing levels and allocation is farcical.

Gary

Made in 1968
15-01-2020, 18:18
I would rather suffer than see a doctor.

dave2010
15-01-2020, 19:41
I’ll now refrain from further examples, but it’s true to say that the NHS is dated, mismanaged and out of control on spending. Throwing money at it is a total waste.

Staffing levels and allocation is farcical.
I think it depends where in the UK you are. When my parents were still alive, I would take them down to their doctors' surgery. There was a reception area with some form of tickets. I assumed that these were to somehow allocate time with the doctors, but no - they were to allow you to speak to the receptionists. If you didn't take a ticket you'd not even be able to talk to the people behind the desk. Never seen anything like that before or since - totally rubbish. When we eventually managed to see doctors, the doctors were actually rather good. This is often the way, but the admin in some GP clinics/surgeries in many areas is really very poor.

struth
15-01-2020, 19:56
You book yourself in on a touch screen at mine. Appointments are getting harder to get now since the area got a lot bigger with new housing and no new practice to handle the thousands extra folk.. Plus a lot of foreign folk who slow things down too.
A few years ago u could get an appointment same day pretty much any day.
They won't come to house either now

Made in 1968
15-01-2020, 19:59
I was off work for a bit with my Knee, i could not walk without a bad limp & a lot of walking was involved. You would not believe how many different causes the doctor came up with everytime i complained. The laughable thing is i went on a diet [Without a recommendation] & soon as i lost a stone it was like gone.. Symptoms from a text book thats all they are. Frikin useless

dave2010
15-01-2020, 22:32
I would rather suffer than see a doctor.I think that approach can be disastrous, though it depends. Several of my friends have felt ill, then gone to hospital, then died. From this my view is that going to hospital is not a good idea.

OTOH sometimes doctors can be really helpful, and get things fixed. People who are in pain, or have other difficult problems should probably give doctors a try. Deciding that you're never going to do that might turn out to be really stupid. In the case of "our" patient, he really does need to get his eye looked at. If antibiotics can clear the problem up it should be relatively painless, and a fairly quick solution. Ignoring problems like that can create really serious issues.

Audio Al
15-01-2020, 23:30
The chemist advise I use Optrex infected eye drops , Looks to have helped as the red is reducing along with the discharge

Barry
15-01-2020, 23:37
The chemist advise I use Optrex infected eye drops , Looks to have helped as the red is reducing along with the discharge

That's good news Al. I'm really surprised your doctor didn't do anything for you.

The last time I went to my surgery for a flu jab, the nurse said I had an eye infection and prescribed some ointment for it. It was pretty powerful stuff (it contained mercury) and the infection cleared up in three days.

Audio Al
16-01-2020, 05:00
2 tablets into the 5 day course and I think I am coming out the other side :)

Pigmy Pony
16-01-2020, 06:25
That's the ticket, you'll be back to your regular insomnia before you know it :)

Marco
16-01-2020, 08:41
Good stuff, daftee. Shows you then you were right to ask for the antibiotics!:)

Marco.

tapid
16-01-2020, 10:00
That's the ticket, you'll be back to your regular insomnia before you know it :)

Lets him just sleep on that !

Pigmy Pony
16-01-2020, 17:11
Lets him just sleep on that !

;););););););););););););););););););););););););) ;););););););););););););););)

Sherwood
16-01-2020, 18:07
Good stuff, daftee. Shows you then you were right to ask for the antibiotics!:)

Marco.

Not so. The father of British Epidemiology - Archie Cochrane - was a young doctor in a Japanese POW camp. He observed that many conditions were self limiting and that "patients" typically recovered from infections without any medical treatment or drugs. He spent his life challenging the effectiveness, appropriateness, and safety of many established treatments and to advocate for the scientific testing of medical interventions. If the OP had a viral infection, it is likely that he would have started to recover after a week or so and antibiotics would have had no effect. His book "Efficiency and Effectiveness .." recounts his wartime experience and his advocacy for randomised control trials. https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lancet/PII0140-6736(92)93154-F.pdf

Overuse of antibiotics and antibiotic resistance is an existential threat to humanity. Unless new antibiotics are developed we will be back to the situation where one could die from a minor infection from a wound.

Pigmy Pony
16-01-2020, 19:05
Overuse of antibiotics and what it will eventually mean for humankind is well documented, but Allen was getting worse - how bad does it have to get before you intervene? That kind of brinkmanship does not sit well with me, and besides we need Al for his inventive and amusing threads :)

Pigmy Pony
16-01-2020, 19:12
And his eye was about to fall out. What would Audio Al be with a missing eye? Audo Al that's what. That would work better spoken than written :(

Marco
16-01-2020, 19:17
Not so. The father of British Epidemiology - Archie Cochrane - was a young doctor in a Japanese POW camp. He observed that many conditions were self limiting and that "patients" typically recovered from infections without any medical treatment or drugs. He spent his life challenging the effectiveness, appropriateness, and safety of many established treatments and to advocate for the scientific testing of medical interventions. If the OP had a viral infection, it is likely that he would have started to recover after a week or so and antibiotics would have had no effect. His book "Efficiency and Effectiveness .." recounts his wartime experience and his advocacy for randomised control trials. https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lancet/PII0140-6736(92)93154-F.pdf

Overuse of antibiotics and antibiotic resistance is an existential threat to humanity. Unless new antibiotics are developed we will be back to the situation where one could die from a minor infection from a wound.

I completely agree, Geoff. I'm all for 'self-healing' and/or natural/herbal remedies, rather than pumping yourself with drugs, *but* as Piggurs says Al was getting worse, and in this case antibiotics did the job. Therefore, for me, it's good to keep all your options open:)

Marco.

Sherwood
16-01-2020, 19:37
I completely agree, Geoff. I'm all for 'self-healing' and/or natural/herbal remedies, rather than pumping yourself with drugs, *but* as Piggurs says Al was getting worse, and in this case antibiotics did the job. Therefore, for me, it's good to keep all your options open:)

Marco.

Antibiotics may have done the job but it is equally likely that the condition was self limiting and the timing of the recovery was coincidental. The public do not seem to have grasped the danger of antibiotic drug resistance which is responsible for 700,000 deaths annually worldwide with this figure projected to grow exponentially in coming decades. Doctors have even stopped prescribing antibiotics for many bacterial infections because of the dangers of drug resistance.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/antibiotics/antibiotic-antimicrobial-resistance/

Stryder5
16-01-2020, 21:49
Antibiotics may have done the job but it is equally likely that the condition was self limiting and the timing of the recovery was coincidental. The public do not seem to have grasped the danger of antibiotic drug resistance which is responsible for 700,000 deaths annually worldwide with this figure projected to grow exponentially in coming decades. Doctors have even stopped prescribing antibiotics for many bacterial infections because of the dangers of drug resistance.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/antibiotics/antibiotic-antimicrobial-resistance/

I don’t believe in statistics without validation or source (or even then, I would like to see the compilation data) so if 700,000 deaths have been attributed to drug resistance what is the source? How many peoples lives have been saved by antibiotics annually?

Statistics can be manipulated, by their very nature they depend on how they are collected and how the questions are phrased or loaded.

Being a cynic there is a cost to providing antibiotics, good saving if not provided.

There are many theories based on “facts” that become popular only to be disproved later.

There are people who need daily antibiotics because they have compromised immune systems, so a broad brush approach to antibiotics can only be guidance and not considered absolute.

Gary

walpurgis
16-01-2020, 22:05
Strange that you don't hear any mention of Bacteriophage and Virophage research these days.

They were once anticipated to be of huge ultimate benefit in tackling infectious deseases. Maybe there is work being done in this area, but I'm not aware of it. I know the Russians were very involved years ago.

Effective phages could certainly compliment antibiotic treatment and possibly supersede it in some aspects.

Sherwood
16-01-2020, 22:35
I don’t believe in statistics without validation or source (or even then, I would like to see the compilation data) so if 700,000 deaths have been attributed to drug resistance what is the source? How many peoples lives have been saved by antibiotics annually?

Statistics can be manipulated, by their very nature they depend on how they are collected and how the questions are phrased or loaded.

Being a cynic there is a cost to providing antibiotics, good saving if not provided.

There are many theories based on “facts” that become popular only to be disproved later.

There are people who need daily antibiotics because they have compromised immune systems, so a broad brush approach to antibiotics can only be guidance and not considered absolute.

Gary

Would you consider the World Health Organization and the National Institute for Clinical Excellence to be reliable sources?

https://www.nice.org.uk/Media/Default/About/what-we-do/Into-practice/measuring-uptake/NICEimpact-antimicrobial-resistance.pdf

https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/29-04-2019-new-report-calls-for-urgent-action-to-avert-antimicrobial-resistance-crisis

They draw from this 2016 study https://amr-review.org/sites/default/files/160525_Final%20paper_with%20cover.pdf

Of course antibiotics are a major lifesaver worldwide. The point is that poor prescribing and compliance risk a major failure of antibiotic effectiveness so that current antibiotics may be all but useless in a matter of decades.

Sherwood
16-01-2020, 23:01
I fully understand how A B's work , They wipe out your imune system

I hardly EVER take any medication , Normall just get on with it in a big ruffty tuffty way , this is really getting me down
now 7 days and things getting worse , no signs of any improvement :(

Time to take some action

That is not how antibiotics work! They work either by killing the bacteria causing an infection or by stopping or impairing the growth of the bacteria. Some people may believe that antibiotics have impaired their immune systems but the fact is that if the antibiotic does not kill the bacteria it is targeting then the bacteria can become "immune" to that antibiotic.

Oddball
16-01-2020, 23:21
Of course , Al could have visited the farm here where we could have injected him in the arse with some cow medicine :eek:

dave2010
16-01-2020, 23:28

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/antibiotics/antibiotic-antimicrobial-resistance/Glad to hear about Al's improvement, whether the improvement is due to antibiotics or self limiting maladies. However, sometimes the choices are a bit stark. The son of one of my friends was scratched by a cat. He ignored it for days, doing "obvious" things like keeping things clean and antiseptcis etc., but eventually things did start to go really quite bad. Finally he went for treatment, and was told that he was within 24 hours of potentially fatal sepsis. Fortunately he did recover. He did not, however, think that he should wait another 24 hours to see if the "theory" was correct.

Sherwood
17-01-2020, 00:05
Glad to hear about Al's improvement, whether the improvement is due to antibiotics or self limiting maladies. However, sometimes the choices are a bit stark. The son of one of my friends was scratched by a cat. He ignored it for days, doing "obvious" things like keeping things clean and antiseptcis etc., but eventually things did start to go really quite bad. Finally he went for treatment, and was told that he was within 24 hours of potentially fatal sepsis. Fortunately he did recover. He did not, however, think that he should wait another 24 hours to see if the "theory" was correct.

That's a ridiculous example. Cat bites and scratches are bacterial stews and antibiotic treatment is standard and urgent if any infection develops. If your friend left it untreated for days that is their fault. The overuse of antibiotics means that in the future any minor bacterial infection may be life threatening to to antibiotic resistance. That was the reality in the days before penicillin. We may be returning to those days again.

Pigmy Pony
17-01-2020, 06:30
How often will you have heard it said of antibiotics: "Well I started to feel better so I stopped taking them". In this way the surviving bacteria could become immune surely? If I'm right then we should be better educated in their use. And doctors need to be prepared to write about their correct use and the consequences of not completing the course onto a piece of paper and staple it to the patient's forehead if they look like they may be a bit stupid. Sterilised staples of course :)

Macca
17-01-2020, 08:14
That's a ridiculous example. Cat bites and scratches are bacterial stews and antibiotic treatment is standard and urgent if any infection develops. If your friend left it untreated for days that is their fault. The overuse of antibiotics means that in the future any minor bacterial infection may be life threatening to to antibiotic resistance. That was the reality in the days before penicillin. We may be returning to those days again.

Given that 99% of people don't know what antibiotics actually are it is unlikely that they are cultivating their own. So the only way they can get them is if they are prescribed by a doctor or dentist.

Therefore if antibiotics are being over-used or wrongly prescribed that is 100% the fault of the doctors and dentists. There's no point lecturing us about it.

Macca
17-01-2020, 08:17
Unless you can buy antibiotics in the toilets at a nightclub or something. Not been to a nightclub in many years so maybe that is a thing nowadays. 'Got any Tetracyclines mate? Yeah? How much?'

Stryder5
17-01-2020, 08:48
Unless you can buy antibiotics in the toilets at a nightclub or something. Not been to a nightclub in many years so maybe that is a thing nowadays. 'Got any Tetracyclines mate? Yeah? How much?'

Prefer Cefaclor nowadays.

Gary

Macca
17-01-2020, 08:53
Junkie.

Stryder5
17-01-2020, 08:53
Would you consider the World Health Organization and the National Institute for Clinical Excellence to be reliable sources?

https://www.nice.org.uk/Media/Default/About/what-we-do/Into-practice/measuring-uptake/NICEimpact-antimicrobial-resistance.pdf

https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/29-04-2019-new-report-calls-for-urgent-action-to-avert-antimicrobial-resistance-crisis

They draw from this 2016 study https://amr-review.org/sites/default/files/160525_Final%20paper_with%20cover.pdf

Of course antibiotics are a major lifesaver worldwide. The point is that poor prescribing and compliance risk a major failure of antibiotic effectiveness so that current antibiotics may be all but useless in a matter of decades.

The answer to your question is NO. Read my previous text.

Gary

Marco
17-01-2020, 09:12
Guys, can we all chill out a bit please? I don't like the aggressive/combative tone of some of the posts here, simply because someone is failing to think how you want them to think, so please learn to express your opinion on the subject without the need to 'lecture'. Cheers!:cool:

Marco.

dave2010
17-01-2020, 09:55
Guys, can we all chill out a bit please? I don't like the aggressive/combative tone of some of the posts here, simply because someone is failing to think how you want them to think, so please learn to express your opinion on the subject without the need to 'lecture'. Cheers!:cool:

Marco.Hi - I didn't think we'd started a war! I just wanted to help Al to get better.

Many drugs/antibiotics can be obtained via the internet - I'm told, so it's not always necessary to go do UK doctors. This is not advised, but it happens. Also some people come from other home countries, or have friends there, and get drugs/antibiotics from them.

Is that really you in the new avatar - or some other smart fellah?

bws

Stryder5
17-01-2020, 10:18

Marco.

I’m probably as much to blame as anyone I’ll refrain......

Stryder5
17-01-2020, 10:23
Hi - I didn't think we'd started a war! I just wanted to help Al to get better.

Many drugs/antibiotics can be obtained via the internet - I'm told, so it's not always necessary to go do UK doctors. This is not advised, but it happens. Also some people come from other home countries, or have friends there, and get drugs/antibiotics from them.

bws

It can’t be Marco it looks......almost human.:scratch:

struth
17-01-2020, 10:33
Too many antibiotics have been prescribed in past, no doubt but in Al's case im inclined to think Conjunctivitis, and if its thick yellow then the bacterial version, and needed them.. Doc was maybe too keen to not prescribe. Used to have a warrior in my wifes practice whos attitude was for pretty much anything, "just get back to work".. or "nothing to worry about".
Go to another doc and they got worried.. nothing was ever done about him as far as I know and he is still dishing out his wisdom.
When my oldest went complaining that he was hearing voices etc, he was told to get a job.... he hung himself later that week..

Sherwood
17-01-2020, 10:43
Too many antibiotics have been prescribed in past, no doubt but in Al's case im inclined to think Conjunctivitis, and if its thick yellow then the bacterial version, and needed them.. Doc was maybe too keen to not prescribe. Used to have a warrior in my wifes practice whos attitude was for pretty much anything, "just get back to work".. or "nothing to worry about".
Go to another doc and they got worried.. nothing was ever done about him as far as I know and he is still dishing out his wisdom.
When my oldest went complaining that he was hearing voices etc, he was told to get a job.... he hung himself later that week..

The NHS has issued revised antibiotic prescribing guidelines to limit overprescribing. Evidence based prescribing now favours the much more cautious use of antibiotics. It has also embarked upon a national health education campaign with TV commercials aimed at changing patient knowledge, attitudes and practices. It is still early days and there are massive regional variations in the number and type of antibiotics prescribed. Unfortunately, too many gps ignore the new guidelines and faced with huge patient workload succumb to patient pressure to prescribe.

walpurgis
17-01-2020, 11:03
Strange that you don't hear any mention of Bacteriophage and Virophage research these days.

They were once anticipated to be of huge ultimate benefit in tackling infectious deseases. Maybe there is work being done in this area, but I'm not aware of it. I know the Russians were very involved years ago.

Effective phages could certainly compliment antibiotic treatment and possibly supersede it in some aspects.

It seems nobody had a clue what I was getting at.

This may be enlightening: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/yGJ6MtYrP2S0gjssltQBS2/could-viruses-called-bacteriophages-be-the-answer-to-the-antibiotic-crisis

Marco
17-01-2020, 11:05
Hi - I didn't think we'd started a war! I just wanted to help Al to get better.

Indeed, no 'wars', please. Just helpful and constructive advice.

As for the latter, read my signature!;)

I look about 20 years younger...:eyebrows:

Marco.

Marco
17-01-2020, 11:06
It can’t be Marco it looks......almost human.:scratch:

Hahaha... You reckon? I plucked it from a magazine for SAGA holidays:D

Marco.

Firebottle
17-01-2020, 11:18
You have been doing some trawling Marco, SAGA indeed.
You do know that stands for Sex Annually Generally August.

He 'looks' like a respectable fellow but having read some of the bile he post rather proves look aren't everything.

Sherwood
17-01-2020, 11:39
It seems nobody had a clue what I was getting at.

This may be enlightening: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/yGJ6MtYrP2S0gjssltQBS2/could-viruses-called-bacteriophages-be-the-answer-to-the-antibiotic-crisis

Not long ago I was recruited to evaluate a major initiative by the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation. This compromised a massive global fund designed to stimulate greater investment in pharmaceutical research and development. The fund was supported by the major global pharma companies and several national development agencies. I was somewhat shocked to learn how little was being done to develop new antibiotics. Less than 5% of venture capital pharmaceutical research and development goes towards antimicrobial development and spending has been declining rapidly in recent years. Over the period 2003 to 2013 spending amounted to a mere $1.8 billion. To put this into context, the typical cost of developing a new drug and bringing it to market is around $2 billion. Most of the classes of antibiotics currently in use were discovered 50 years ago or more, and there are relatively few novel antibiotics in development. Phage therapy has been neglected by much of the western world but is gaining renewed interest with the failure of established antibiotics.

Marco
17-01-2020, 11:44
You have been doing some trawling Marco, SAGA indeed.
You do know that stands for Sex Annually Generally August.

Lol... In his case, it would be NEVER (self-confessed, too)!:D;)

Marco.

Audio Al
17-01-2020, 12:02
Dr Geoff Sherwood , do me a big favor and start your own thread on how people should heal themselves

" Acording to you "

As you are pissing me off big time , I didn't mention I was feeling unwell for you to latch on and give your comments on what I should of should not do , weather I should or should not take A Bs :doh:

Please just go away :rolleyes:

Sherwood
17-01-2020, 12:13
Dr Geoff Sherwood , do me a big favor and start your own thread on how people should heal themselves

" Acording to you "

As you are pissing me off big time , I didn't mention I was feeling unwell for you to latch on and give your comments on what I should of should not do , weather I should or should not take A Bs :doh:

Please just go away :rolleyes:

You are right. When someone posts an ill informed comment I should ignore it. Clearly you posted your health status and treatment because you wanted to keep it to yourself. As it happens, I made no comment on what you should do. My point is that antibiotics are being misprescribed and the serious consequences of antibiotic misuse.

Marco
17-01-2020, 12:22
Geoff, with respect, and I'm guessing it's not intentional, but your advice/input on the subject is coming across rather like lecturing/and a little arrogant, and isn't helpful, so I'm not surprised Al has reacted that way.

Just lighten up a bit and put your points across as being merely your opinion, rather than fact, unless of course you're a trained medical professional and speaking from a position of authority? Even then, I'd suggest you improved your 'bedside manner';)

Marco.

Sherwood
17-01-2020, 12:38
Geoff, with respect, and I'm guessing it's not intentional, but your advice/input on the subject is coming across rather like lecturing/and a little arrogant, and isn't helpful, so I'm not surprised Al has reacted that way.

Just lighten up a bit and put your points across as being merely your opinion, rather than fact, unless of course you're a trained medical professional and speaking from a position of authority? Even then, I'd suggest you improved your 'bedside manner';)

Marco.

I am not a doctor, I am an economist with postgraduate training in epidemiology who has worked in the field of international health four nearly 40 years. If my posts sound like lecturing it's because I feel very strongly about this subject and because I was challenged to provide evidence of the points I was making. BTW, it is not about my opinion. I have done no more than cite the conclusions of rigorously conducted research and report on a widely held consensus in the scientific community.

Furthermore, none of the posts I made were personal or insulting. The same cannot be said of the OP. Surely, the purpose of posting on this forum is to invite a response.

I will end my posts as it is just not worth the hostility.

Marco
17-01-2020, 13:04
I am not a doctor, I am an economist with postgraduate training in epidemiology who has worked in the field of international health four nearly 40 years. If my posts sound like lecturing it's because I feel very strongly about this subject and because I was challenged to provide evidence of the points I was making. BTW, it is not about my opinion. I have done no more than cite the conclusions of rigorously conducted research and report on a widely held consensus in the scientific community.

Furthermore, none of the posts I made were personal or insulting. The same cannot be said of the OP. Surely, the purpose of posting on this forum is to invite a response.

I will end my posts as it is just not worth the hostility.

Firstly, there is nothing whatsoever personal or insulting about the opening post. If you mean the poster himself, then that's different. However, you've clearly upset him (and I can understand why). He's unwell, and when you're unwell you can get a little narky, so I'd suggest you cut him some slack.

End your posts if you so chose, but a more reasonable response might be to lighten up a bit, be less dour and serious in future (don't think that only your opinion matters), and consider apologising to Al for upsetting him? The tone of your responses to others has also been rather haughty and argumentative from the off.

Marco.

struth
17-01-2020, 13:53
Back to the op..

Hows you doin' Al anyway?

Audio Al
17-01-2020, 14:03
Not good Grant , still vomiting daily , still have a very snotty nose , feel drained , , not been dead yet but there is a saying " I feel like death warmed up "

This has really knocked me sideways even with the antibio's , 3 day in today on the 5 day course

Still time for something to happen hopefully or I will be back to see the Doc for the 3rd time :(

Audio Al
17-01-2020, 14:03
I'm off to bed again :rolleyes:

Pigmy Pony
19-01-2020, 11:34
How's it going today Allen? Any improvement?

tapid
19-01-2020, 11:49
How's it going today Allen? Any improvement?

Posting elsewhere, so he s still around lol. Good luck with the recovery Al.

Audio Al
19-01-2020, 15:07
I think my comment 3-4 days ago re feeling better was more wishfull thinking ,

I am now a lot better but still not 100% :( time will tell

Thanks for asking :)

AJSki2fly
19-01-2020, 15:20
I think my comment 3-4 days ago re feeling better was more wishfull thinking ,

I am now a lot better but still not 100% :( time will tell

Thanks for asking :)

Glad to see you have re-surfaced and may be improving. :)

hifi_dave
19-01-2020, 16:32
Glad you are feeling better.

Sounds like proppa Flu, not Man Flu.

Audio Al
19-01-2020, 16:48
I wouldn't wish what I have / Had on anyone , Its really awful :(

Marco
21-01-2020, 12:00
Is it worse than what you went through when you had your sex change, and your bollox went for a burton?

Marco.

Audio Al
21-01-2020, 14:09
Is it worse than what you went through when you had your sex change, and your bollox went for a burton?

Marco.

And after you talking me into it , Then staying loyal to Del , I'm keeping quiet now ;)

Its official , I can confirm14 days later I appear to be back to normal ( Although what is normal for me :D )

Anti bio's completed , Hardly any nasal mucas , Coughing up chunks now ended , I'm good to go :D

I have 100% sympathy for anyone with a illness that won't get better , God it must be so demoralising trying to keep your chin up and look positive :)