PDA

View Full Version : Can’t hear a difference between filter settings?

Mr Neds
07-01-2020, 20:01
Sorry, raised this within an older post to no avail ! What am I listening for here? Is it so subtle that it passes some people by? I’m not criticising the seg/ dorado combo, which, at its best, sounds amazing. I’ve got my filter set on 4, I.e. three flashes, which seems to be the most popular

Alp
07-01-2020, 20:43
It may be input/source dependent. I use one flash (USB input from RPI4 with reclocker) but used three flashes with SPDIF streaming FLAC from my NAS but one flash was better when streaming Radio Paradise FLAC. I have no idea why.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Mr Neds
07-01-2020, 20:46
Thanks Alastair, but when you say “better”, in what way?

CageyH
07-01-2020, 21:19
The SEG30 manual states:

The Caiman SEG firmware is capable of processing the incoming digital data in four different ways, which in turn can produce a different sound signature and signal stability from individual source equipment.
How to change signal processing modes:

Press and hold down the SELECT button for about two seconds. Release the SELECT button as soon as the RED STATUS LED lights up. The firmware will now automatically switch to the next data processing option.

 One LED blinks = Mode-1 = DAC chip XTAL Clock signal. Suitable for external clocks
 Two LED blinks = Mode-2 = Signal Data Clock processing Suitable for CD/DVD players, PC
 Three LED blinks = Mode-3 = Signal Data processing Suitable for streamed music, TV
 Four LED blinks = Mode-4 = DATA recovered Clock processing Suitable for everything, but clock tracking errors may occur when the data and the clock are out of sync.

It does not speak about filters, which alter the sound.

StanleyB
07-01-2020, 21:48
Sorry, raised this within an older post to no avail ! What am I listening for here? Is it so subtle that it passes some people by? I’m not criticising the seg/ dorado combo, which, at its best, sounds amazing. I’ve got my filter set on 4, I.e. three flashes, which seems to be the most popular

They are not filters, but clock settings. It is possible that you can't hear the difference. . In that case just leave it on anyone you are happy with, or the default setting, which is 1.

Mr Neds
07-01-2020, 22:01
Thanks Kevin and Stan. Much clearer now as to how to use the modes. Sorry, didn’t mean to say filters!