PDA

View Full Version : Scotland,Inverness,help needed

retro
17-06-2010, 22:31
If someone lives near I need help in checking the accuracy,truth of this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sansui-G-33000-Stereo-Receiver-/160444923271?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Consumer_Professional_RL&hash=item255b433d87) sale on eBay.I might be interested.
Smells to me that it is fraud.

Thanks in advance,

The Grand Wazoo
17-06-2010, 22:55
If I was interested in buying this myself I'd be asking a few pertinent questions.
Serial number?
One thought is that you could ask whether the connector cable is included in the sale and in good condition. If the seller really has this receiver in their possession, and has used it (they say they'd hate to see it go), they'd know the significance of that question. If they just found a photo of something they don't own, they'll not know what the hell you're talking about and will assume you mean the power cable, normal interconnects or speaker cables.

Good luck!

Rare Bird
17-06-2010, 22:57
There one thing that stands out like a sore thumb..

The Grand Wazoo
17-06-2010, 23:06
Well there are a few things that ring alarm bells, but if it is genuine, it's not a clever way to go about selling something. Two options that I see:
1.) Plenty of questions or
2.) The barge pole remains safely tucked up in it's fur lined barge pole caddy (with leather trim and brass buckles).

Option 1 could lead to option 2!

retro
17-06-2010, 23:31
If I was interested in buying this myself I'd be asking a few pertinent questions.
Serial number?
One thought is that you could ask whether the connector cable is included in the sale and in good condition. If the seller really has this receiver in their possession, and has used it (they say they'd hate to see it go), they'd know the significance of that question. If they just found a photo of something they don't own, they'll not know what the hell you're talking about and will assume you mean the power cable, normal interconnects or speaker cables.

Good luck!

You saw that a similar receiver I have at home.Therefore, there is a lot of questions that I may ask.Taught by the earlier experience fraudsters know a lot about the things thay sell.So it is not impossible to invent a serial number that corresponds to year of production.
I thought that someone from the forum lives near and can check things.

2.) The barge pole remains safely tucked up in it's fur lined barge pole caddy (with leather trim and brass buckles).

Chris,sorry but this sentence above I do not understand.
In any case, thanks to the efforts.

Regards,

Effem
18-06-2010, 05:14
You saw that a similar receiver I have at home.Therefore, there is a lot of questions that I may ask.Taught by the earlier experience fraudsters know a lot about the things thay sell.So it is not impossible to invent a serial number that corresponds to year of production.
I thought that someone from the forum lives near and can check things.

Chris,sorry but this sentence above I do not understand.
In any case, thanks to the efforts.

Regards,

He's talking about the mythical barge pole that he wouldn't touch it with ;)

retro
18-06-2010, 07:15
Understood.
We have a similar expression in Croatia: "I wouldn't touch that with a stick" :)
Thanks Frank

Regards,

John
18-06-2010, 07:39
I really would stay away from this the person has no record, unless you picking up by cash its not worth the effort

gazcarts
18-06-2010, 10:08
All sellers have to start with zero feedback at some point.

I'd be very surprised if this is a scam because:

1. It's a highly unusual item, not something that will attract much interest so not the usual scammer gear,
2. It's an auction, not a Buy Now. Not the sort of thing a scammer would do; what if it sold for £5?
3. The photo appears to be of the actual item for sale, not a library shot or someone else's photo (back to number 1, hard to find photos of something like this)
4. It's in Inverness, hardly a crime blackspot!
5. No other classic scammer tactics, eg, contact me at different email address because ebay one is full, call me on this number, etc, etc

I'm quite sure if you email the seller it will be a genuine sale and you can probably pay cash on collection. I do have work colleagues who live in Inverness so I could always ask them to check it out.

Regards

Marco
18-06-2010, 10:21
Excellent post, Gary. I'm incined to agree.

I'm quite sure if you email the seller it will be a genuine sale and you can probably pay cash on collection.

There's just one small-ish problem with that. Have you noticed where Robert lives? ;)

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
18-06-2010, 10:37
There are other problems with the listing of this auction & Robert has been alerted to them. He will, I'm sure, make the best decision for him given the information he is now in possession of.

Cheers

retro
18-06-2010, 11:59
All sellers have to start with zero feedback at some point.

I'd be very surprised if this is a scam because:

1. It's a highly unusual item, not something that will attract much interest so not the usual scammer gear,
2. It's an auction, not a Buy Now. Not the sort of thing a scammer would do; what if it sold for £5?
3. The photo appears to be of the actual item for sale, not a library shot or someone else's photo (back to number 1, hard to find photos of something like this)
4. It's in Inverness, hardly a crime blackspot!
5. No other classic scammer tactics, eg, contact me at different email address because ebay one is full, call me on this number, etc, etc

I'm quite sure if you email the seller it will be a genuine sale and you can probably pay cash on collection. I do have work colleagues who live in Inverness so I could always ask them to check it out.

Regards

OK guys,Thank you for your comments and discussion.
One of the reasons why I have doubted in this auction is the image I've already seen somewhere.Finally found
The case is closed :)
So Gary,all except the first sentence does not stand.Europe is full of fraud.Just my experience :steam:

PS-just receive respond from seller:Interested in a quick sale?

Regards to all,

gazcarts
18-06-2010, 13:10
Excellent post, Gary. I'm incined to agree.

There's just one small-ish problem with that. Have you noticed where Robert lives? ;)

Marco.

Hi Marco,

No I hadn't noticed, but it's often worth asking the seller as it will quickly expose them as a fraudster if they're unwilling to let you collect such a heavy item personally.

OK guys,Thank you for your comments and discussion.
One of the reasons why I have doubted in this auction is the image I've already seen somewhere.Finally found
The case is closed :)
So Gary,all except the first sentence does not stand.Europe is full of fraud.Just my experience :steam:

PS-just receive respond from seller:Interested in a quick sale?

Regards to all,

Good spot. It seems their methods are becoming less predicatable so I stand corrected. Have you informed Ebay because the auction is still active?

Regards

retro
18-06-2010, 13:32
eBay has been informed by the good soul .:)

Regards,

gazcarts
18-06-2010, 13:39
I personally hadn't heard of the Sansui so had no idea of its value. It isn't unusual for sellers to use photos they find on the internet, but I suppose combined with zero feedback this is one auction to be wary of.

It still strikes me as a very unusual item to try to con people with; surely only a handful of people know its value, and they're likely to have expert knowledge of the item as well.

Regards

retro
18-06-2010, 14:50
I do not know what is your age Gary,but it is pretty incredible to me that you have not heard of Sansui.:eek:
Here's (http://www.sansui.us/History.htm) one web site to learn something.In short, some products from the seventies and eighties today achieving astronomical prices,and are also very frequent target of scammers.
In this auction is the biggest receiver of all time.
50 kg,over 300 W/RMS per channel into 8 ohms,in two piece (who would have otherwise raised)...built 1978.Beast in one word.
In the last year only two have appeared on eBay.

Regards,

Rare Bird
18-06-2010, 14:59
I do not know what is your age Gary,but it is pretty incredible to me that you have not heard of Sansui.:eek:
Here's (http://www.sansui.us/History.htm) one web site to learn something.In short, some products from the seventies and eighties today achieving astronomical prices,and are also very frequent target of scammers.
In this auction is the biggest receiver of all time.
50 kg,over 300 W/RMS per channel into 8 ohms,in two piece (who would have otherwise raised)...built 1978.Beast in one word.
In the last year only two have appeared on eBay.

Regards,

Robert:
I think Gary meant he's not heard of that particular model..:)

retro
18-06-2010, 15:05
Still can't believe :lolsign:

Regards,

gazcarts
18-06-2010, 15:13
Still can't believe :lolsign:

Regards,

Of course I've heard of Sansui, but as with many manufacturers, they seem to have made all their best stuff decades ago, so I wasn't aware of it. Maybe I need to put the rest of my life on hold as I clearly don't spend enough time hanging around on hifi forums! :lol:

Best wishes

Rare Bird
18-06-2010, 15:18
but as with many manufacturers, they seem to have made all their best stuff decades ago

Absolutly correct

retro
18-06-2010, 15:25
It's my fault Gary.Last year I have dedicated research for Sansui,so I propose that the others have more knowledge about. :doh:
My advice is to leave Sansui alone.Disease is incurable. :lolsign:

Regards,

The Grand Wazoo
18-06-2010, 16:22
Strictly speaking this model is not a receiver because the power amp unit is seperate. The pre & tuner are in the same chassis - pre-ceiver & power amp, but sold as one product. Powerful, heavy beast of a thing. The cable I referred to earlier is the special cable that connects the two units together. Someone who doesn't really know the model wouldn't have a clue about that sort of thing.
Well dodged, Arthur!

retro
18-06-2010, 18:10
Strictly speaking this model is not a receiver because the power amp unit is seperate. The pre & tuner are in the same chassis - pre-ceiver & power amp, but sold as one product. Powerful, heavy beast of a thing. The cable I referred to earlier is the special cable that connects the two units together. Someone who doesn't really know the model wouldn't have a clue about that sort of thing.
Well dodged, Arthur!

Chris,with all respect this is receiver.:)
I'll try to explain.

1.Sansui claim this receiver is separable construction for reason to avoid mutual interference between the power and preamp section or between the power and tuner section.
And for the the obvious practical reason.Dimensions of connected units are 636 x 227 x 553 mm (w/h/d).How many people can move receiver of such weight that something is not destroyed?
Or who has a shelf of these dimensions?:scratch:

2.Tuner/preamp unit can work alone,but it is not fully functional.

3.Power amp unit can not work alone (without some major modifications).

4.Special cable (umbilcal cable is Sansui term) is fixed to tuner/preamp so that the devices could be located from one to another or one above another.

Regards,

The Grand Wazoo
18-06-2010, 20:35
Robert,
I'd certainly class it as a receiver because that's the tidiest category it fits into and yes, Sansui marketed it as one, but a receiver is an amplifier and tuner in a single chassis.
And that is not what this is!
No worries, it's just a label.

gazcarts
18-06-2010, 22:03
Ebay still haven't pulled the auction and the bids are still coming in.

They'll normally pull it immediately if you refer them to the auction the pic and description was stolen from.

Regards

retro
18-06-2010, 22:46
Robert,
I'd certainly class it as a receiver because that's the tidiest category it fits into and yes, Sansui marketed it as one, but a receiver is an amplifier and tuner in a single chassis.
And that is not what this is!
No worries, it's just a label.

It is receiver.That's it. :lolsign:

Ebay still haven't pulled the auction and the bids are still coming in.

They'll normally pull it immediately if you refer them to the auction the pic and description was stolen from.

Regards
I saw. :(

...Thanks for letting us know about a listing or seller you'd like us to
investigate for potential fraudulent activity. eBay is very concerned
about this type of activity. We'll review your report as soon as
possible, usually within 72 hours...

I gave my best.

Regards,

Rare Bird
18-06-2010, 22:51
It is receiver.That's it. :lolsign:

I saw. :(

...Thanks for letting us know about a listing or seller you'd like us to
investigate for potential fraudulent activity. eBay is very concerned
about this type of activity. We'll review your report as soon as
possible, usually within 72 hours...

I gave my best.

Regards,

24 hours you mean ;)

retro
18-06-2010, 22:58
You crucify me. :lolsign: I can not write so fast.
This is copy/ paste from received mail. I know you know Andre :)

Rare Bird
18-06-2010, 22:59
You crucify me. :lolsign: I can not write so fast.
This is copy/ paste from received mail. I know you know Andre :)

I had the same but 24Hrs

retro
18-06-2010, 23:02
And do you know where is Croatia? :lolsign: far, far away for pigeon carrying a letter

Rare Bird
18-06-2010, 23:03
:lolsign:

Volante
19-06-2010, 06:41
I can't see the item that ws being discussed as it's no longer on the fleabay but if it was a Naim tuner and power unit a fellow on another forum flagged this up as the picture showing the units was of similar units he had previously sold with his his own kitchen in the background - not that that is conclusive because some sellers use another picture cos they can't be bothered to take a new one themselves but.....

also many of these scams seem to have addresses in the far north of scotland (sometimes the orkneys) or Anglesey to put off anybody wanting to inspect the goods first and pay on collection - no disrespect to those genuine sellers in those parts but taking that with other suspicious aspects of an ad is often a warning to beware.

gazcarts
19-06-2010, 08:02
I can't see the item that ws being discussed as it's no longer on the fleabay but if it was a Naim tuner and power unit a fellow on another forum flagged this up as the picture showing the units was of similar units he had previously sold with his his own kitchen in the background - not that that is conclusive because some sellers use another picture cos they can't be bothered to take a new one themselves but.....

also many of these scams seem to have addresses in the far north of scotland (sometimes the orkneys) or Anglesey to put off anybody wanting to inspect the goods first and pay on collection - no disrespect to those genuine sellers in those parts but taking that with other suspicious aspects of an ad is often a warning to beware.

It was for a Sansui G-33000. I also emailed Ebay last night and the auction was removed shortly afterwards. If you refer them to the auction/photo that the scammer copied they'll normally remove the offending auction quite quickly.

Regards

retro
19-06-2010, 10:01

I encountered many classifieds in Germany and address of these scams was mainly London.I informed the Scotland Yard also and a response was....you do not want to know.:steam:
Was very disappointed with all but the speed of response.They answered me in half an hour.

Regards,