PDA

View Full Version : SME 301 Review

Spectral Morn
30-12-2019, 12:29
https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-204-new-garrard-301

'Cadence now continues to manufacture Loricraft record-cleaning machines, but has shut down Loricraft's repair and restoration business, as well as their business of commissioning and supplying spare parts for the 301 and 401. According to Shirke, the Cadence Group will make spare 301 parts available to purchasers of new Garrard 301s, as needed.' Art Dudley

'Garrard is back. The new owners have not only bought the name but have also earned the right to use it (from here on there'll be no more SME this and Cadence Group that when writing about the contemporary 301)' Art Dudley

Price and value Art is not willing to talk about, but the price for what is here, imho, is simply ridiculous and makes Audio Grail and the Classic Record Companies products now look much better value, but will Cadence go after these companies to stop them. With Loricraft gone the new spares market will have a much higher price, Cadence/SME's greed already established.

Curious what others think about this. Potentially a good thing for AG and CRC, and other Garrard restorers/plinth builders, if Cadence don't shut them down.

Wakefield Turntables
30-12-2019, 15:55
It's not hard to restore these decks. More business for AG & CRC when you see the crazy prices they want for a refurbed 301.

Barry
30-12-2019, 22:33
If you own a 301 or 401, you can do with it what you will. You are free to sell it on to whom you see fit.

There is nothing SME/Cadence can do about it. The only thing they own is the Garrard name, logo and trademark; so you would not be able to have new labels made as it is copyright.

There are plenty of wealthy customers in Asia and the Middle East who will easily be able to afford the absurd charges being asked by SME. They are only interested in the name; performance and value for money mean nothing to them. SME/Cadence are aspiring to Veblen status, almost to the exclusion of former reputation.

Audio Al
30-12-2019, 23:16
What happens to my 5 year PRC 3 guarantee :scratch:

Wakefield Turntables
31-12-2019, 10:47
SME/Cadence are aspiring to Veblen status, almost to the exclusion of former reputation.

He means that they being very very greedy at the expense (do you like the pun) of people being caught up in the 301 Euphoria.

Alfonzo
31-12-2019, 11:32
What happens to my 5 year PRC 3 guarantee :scratch:

I believe that Loricraft still deal with the record cleaner side of things so you and I should be ok

Spectral Morn
31-12-2019, 12:27
I believe that Loricraft still deal with the record cleaner side of things so you and I should be ok

Not according to that review, Loricraft no longer exist, so I guess Cadence might honour the warranty, you will need to ask.

Chas B
31-12-2019, 18:08
https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-204-new-garrard-301

'Cadence now continues to manufacture Loricraft record-cleaning machines, but has shut down Loricraft's repair and restoration business, as well as their business of commissioning and supplying spare parts for the 301 and 401. According to Shirke, the Cadence Group will make spare 301 parts available to purchasers of new Garrard 301s, as needed.' Art Dudley

Not sure I like the part where he says 'the Cadence Group will make spare 301 parts available to purchasers of NEW Garrard 301s'.

graham67
31-12-2019, 18:53
That is correct, I spoke to a senior SME guy at the Ascot show and they are not making spare parts available to Joe public ☹ . An opportunity lost as it would bring some economies of scale to the business benefitting new buyers too.

Wakefield Turntables
31-12-2019, 19:03
The cost of the parts will be SME expensive. :eek:

Dr Henry Jones
28-01-2020, 13:44
all these companies were started by men with a passion for what they built, quad,leak,garrard ect but when these people stopped working the companies that took over and did not realy care, look what happened when plessy took over garrard ...... not the best thing to happen to garrard . now that sme own the name we will gave to look further for spares and expect garrards to be produced that will be beyond what we could pay. a garrard made by sme....the east will go frantic

Spectral Morn
05-02-2020, 12:45
all these companies were started by men with a passion for what they built, quad,leak,garrard ect but when these people stopped working the companies that took over and did not realy care, look what happened when plessy took over garrard ...... not the best thing to happen to garrard . now that sme own the name we will gave to look further for spares and expect garrards to be produced that will be beyond what we could pay. a garrard made by sme....the east will go frantic

Some will, but I have the impression that they will mostly want original items restored, not modern versions.

mbic
07-02-2020, 07:53
Alistair Robertson-Aikman is turning in his grave! SME will no longer supply their tonearms as separate products either. What is the business behind this?
Customers maybe could afford a tonearm but not a turntable as well.

Dr Henry Jones
09-02-2020, 09:43
Some will, but I have the impression that they will mostly want original items restored, not modern versions.

i hope your right neil, the name sme carries a lot of weight but now not for the right reasons