PDA

View Full Version : 40 inch TV deals - Recommendations

RobbieGong
29-12-2019, 17:55
Hi

The Mrs is after a 40 inch tv. I'm not clued up on all the current must have techie stuf when it comes to tv's but:

- tv needs to be 40 inch with as much of that as possible being the screen itself as needs to fit in a particular space.
- Slim as in minimal depth
- good deals..........

Sherwood
29-12-2019, 18:16
I would recommend one of the LG 4k models. The picture quality is very good and the operating system is excellent. My model has both satellite and tv inputs. There is a smart remote available that adds voice control. Only downside is that the Freesat guide takes a couple of seconds to load.

Ian7633
29-12-2019, 18:46
+1 for the LG TV's. I used to be a Samsung fan but my 50" tv developed, as it turns out, a very well known fault of purple splodges on the screen. Samsung are fully aware of the issue but refuse to help once the tv is out of warranty, mine is 3 years old. I was told by Samsung customer services that it would need a new screen as the LED array was failing but they no longer make that screen so it cannot be repaired. You'd imagine a company as huge as Samsung might offer some sort of good will gesture as this is a fault that has been reported globally.
I've read many reviews on LG tellies and there seems very little on the negative side. Definitely be my next tv purchase.

Sherwood
29-12-2019, 18:55
This is 43" but has very narrow bezels. I have the 49" model and I am very pleased with it. https://www.johnlewis.com/lg-43um7500pla-2019-led-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-43-inch-with-freeview-play-freesat-hd-ultra-hd-certified-black-titan/p4115212

A useful feature is that by plugging in a HDD or USB stick you can record from Freeview and Freesat

InThe Sticks
29-12-2019, 20:05
I bought the bigger version of this a few weeks ago..

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-ue43ru7470uxxu-43-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-with-bixby-10191734-pdt.html

For ease of use, features and picture quality it’s fantastic and has a proper metal remote that not only looks nice, but accesses every function of the TV with ease..

https://i.imgur.com/U8Df0K1.jpg

The volume and channel buttons are actually rocker switches and its just a nice thing to use.
Maybe a bit nerdy of me, but its the little things that count. Or so the wife keeps telling me.

Mikeandvan
13-02-2020, 14:26
I need a new TV, my old tube portable is crap, been meaning to buy one for ages but its even more complicated than buying hifi these days! I only want a smallish tv, but reviews of those suggest the quality is crap, I like the quality of the old tube tvs, never got any motion issues with those, or nasty pixellation.

struth
13-02-2020, 14:33
was looking at this one myself.. looks a good buy...https://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-tx-43gx680b-2019-led-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-43-with-freeview-play-silver-trim-bezel-black/p4263108?sku=238123878&s_ppc=2dx92700051275074830&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInf6tlN_O5wIVS1XTCh2nuwt8EAQYAiAB EgJ38PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Made in 1968
13-02-2020, 18:00
I will buy nothing else but Samsung. Last year i tried three different brands as i fancied a change from Samsung, Tried Toshiba, Sony & LG, none had a patch on Samsung so that what i buy.. Even the cheap ones are superb..

struth
13-02-2020, 18:42
ive 2 samsung and 1 lg. the lg has best picture i'd say. they are all fairly old tho.. 8+ years

Mikeandvan
13-02-2020, 19:38
This is 43" but has very narrow bezels. I have the 49" model and I am very pleased with it. https://www.johnlewis.com/lg-43um7500pla-2019-led-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-43-inch-with-freeview-play-freesat-hd-ultra-hd-certified-black-titan/p4115212

A useful feature is that by plugging in a HDD or USB stick you can record from Freeview and Freesat

Thanks for the link, just bought one, seems the smallest decent tv you can buy nowadays is 43".

Made in 1968
13-02-2020, 19:48
ive 2 samsung and 1 lg. the lg has best picture i'd say. they are all fairly old tho.. 8+ years

Well Samsung just get better & better. The last Sammy before this new one was about 2-3 years old. This new one is a massive massive improvement. Shame that a vast amount of channels are still broadcasting in SD.. Hampering new TV potential.

Mikeandvan
13-02-2020, 20:43
Shit, 43" is too damn big, don't think I'll bother collecting this tomorrow! Seems the smaller tvs aren't available in the same quality.

struth
13-02-2020, 21:41
Apparently the Panasonic TX-40GX800B

Is the best, and one of the few 40" tvs of late, coming out last year. Not cheap tho

Made in 1968
14-02-2020, 12:01
I remember making a right prick of myself shopping up Sheffield city centre. Walking in a TV shop i noticed they were all Panasonic, so very loudly i said to to Chez, ffks this all they sell 'Panasonic'? I got a few looks from other people only to walk out chez saying quietly to me, its a 'Panasonic' show room

:lol:

Mikeandvan
14-02-2020, 14:48
Got the LG one, its actually measures 38", so why they call them 43" is beyond me.

struth
14-02-2020, 15:45
its a diagonal measurement of viewable screen

Made in 1968
14-02-2020, 16:00
Ours is 42" Diagonal size. Bought as a 43" cos they clearly measuring the TV itself diagonally

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-qe43q60r-2019-qled-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-43-with-tvplus-freesat-hd-apple-tv-app-charcoal-black/p4045754?s_ppc=1dx43700042873557984&tmad=c&tmcampid=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAp5nyBRABEiwApTwjXheauVBwMQuSnVVtQjzD 5rvi-BbrxrbgBKjpJP-JC9jXAIa3y4VnORoCZ58QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

struth
14-02-2020, 16:02
must be cheating if adding bezel.. it should be viewable screen... it always was

Mikeandvan
14-02-2020, 19:37
its a diagonal measurement of viewable screen

Oh right, thanks, thought it was width. Glad its smaller!

Made in 1968
14-02-2020, 21:10
Depending on the Bezel width you can maybe knock 4" off that

Mikeandvan
14-02-2020, 22:14
The definition is good but I prefer the old tube style TV, where the motion flowed more naturally, this is not progress in my view, only benefit is the physical dimensions of the actual tv - flat so it can be hung on the wall. Is there any way to change settings so its more analogue! Weirdly watching on my laptop is more like tube TV, I'm confused. Surely there must be connoisseurs out there for the old tube 'analogue' TVS, you know the big fuck off massive ones that us removal men love carrying! I absolutely don't have the room in my flat, which is why a wall mount flat screen is great for me, but I want a natural picture with seamless flowing motion, is that possible with these new TVs? The one I've bought was £400, and is supposed to be good. LGum7500pla, very high pixilation.

struth
14-02-2020, 22:25
Just what ur used to. Yes there will be plenty setting in it. Playing direct from a pc into it needs to be set up too, if you are that is.
If it's smart then maybe speed issues.
There are setups on u tube

Made in 1968
14-02-2020, 22:57
I bought the first Samsung LCD TV, the picture was more like an old kinda TV, funny how it said HD ready on the front :D I gave it the mother-in-law & she still uses it to this day. I generally buy a new TV every two years, this is by far the best although when i first got it the fast motion was making me dizzy, but ive sorted the setting out & its ok now..

I do sit down & say to myself, that is one super clean & detailed picture but in all reality does it actually look natural, well no in the way that High resolution sound on a stereo does not. Just our brains being overwhelmed.

I do sit down hours sometimes playing with Tones & thinks making the picture look less well HD :rolleyes:

Mikeandvan
14-02-2020, 23:43
I bought the first Samsung LCD TV, the picture was more like an old kinda TV, funny how it said HD ready on the front :D I gave it the mother-in-law & she still uses it to this day. I generally buy a new TV every two years, this is by far the best although when i first got it the fast motion was making me dizzy, but ive sorted the setting out & its ok now..

I do sit down & say to myself, that is one super clean & detailed picture but in all reality does it actually look natural, well no in the way that High resolution sound on a stereo does not. Just our brains being overwhelmed.

I do sit down hours sometimes playing with Tones & thinks making the picture look less well HD :rolleyes:

Yeh its the motion I have a problem with, its almost like the definition is so sharp you feel the characters are in the room with you, but then the edges of each character seems to have a hardness which is odd. But with motion its more pronounced with old tv programs, I really liked the old tube tvs, would have one but don't have space. What setting do you change to deal with motion issues? Sometimes parts of the picture - i.e. a hand waving - will judder and to me that's just rubbish, as I said earlier, weird this doesn't happen on laptops, but I'm new to all this stuff. The choice is exasperating.

Made in 1968
15-02-2020, 00:01
On our TV go to Expert settings within the Picture settings . You can alter Auto motion from there.. Its for things like fast moving Action movies etc..

Barry
15-02-2020, 00:30
The 'old' CRTs (and I had one for 37 years), had a very natural colour palette, good contrast (though that relied on a psychological
'trompe d'oiel'), zero motion blur, but only adequate resolution. It was, however, the culmination of nearly a century of development.

Modern (back lit) LCD or LED displays have much, much better definition (just look at, say, a discussion programme where the contributors have a glass of water each available for them to drink. With modern TVs you can see 'through' the glass and see the distorted image behind. You couldn't do that with the old 625 system.)

But they are not 'plug and play'. You have to 'calibrate' the display: set the colour gamut so that the blacks are black, whites are truly white without any tint, and flesh tones are natural. Don't use any animated cartoons for this, and avoid natural history programmes; unless you have been to the places visited, the colours may look impressive, but they can be unnatural if you rely on the set manufacturer's settings. Also check for unnatural contrast and the 'black line' around profiles set against a bright background.

Personally I don't find motion blur a problem - but then I don't watch football or rugby on TV.

Modern TVs are a revelation, but they do need setting up to achieve their best.

Gazjam
15-02-2020, 09:44
OLEDs are a genuine step change up in quality imo.
Replaced my previous plasma, and was a lot better.

Never got on with LCDs because of iffy backlighting.

OLED
Incredible picture out the box, but they do still benefit from calibration.

Made in 1968
15-02-2020, 14:06
I have suffered with Back lighting with LCD. but this is Jet black.. No signs of patchy back lighting..

Mikeandvan
16-02-2020, 20:52
Yeh the back lighting can be really off putting, characters faces often look like there is light reflecting off them. Watched a few old films last though and they were good, Robocop from 1987, that was amusing.

Mikeandvan
22-02-2020, 20:25
Been watching a few days now and getting used to it, the sound is quite nice for a TV, I don't go in for hooking it up to hifi, I prefer sound not to dominate too much when watching films, thanks to whoever recommended it, a good buy for £400 I think.

Made in 1968
22-02-2020, 20:43
£4/500 -s all you need to spend on a good TV. People that go buying pointless massive TV's to show off, i have zero time for.

Mikeandvan
22-02-2020, 21:23
£4/500 -s all you need to spend on a good TV. People that go buying pointless massive TV's to show off, i have zero time for.

I did a removal for a guy the other week, massive TV into a narrow room, sofa about 4 feet away from it!! Talk about immersive experience.

struth
22-02-2020, 21:28
Mine are 32" big enough I guess

Made in 1968
22-02-2020, 21:52
I bought a 55" by mistake it looked so stupid & because it was so big the picture looked shit. I got a 42" now which is ok but anything bigger in a real world living room is uncalled for.

struth
22-02-2020, 22:00
Gary's one is 60 odd I think and it's truly impressive but his toom is fairly minimal and modern.
Mine is olden in style so too bight might not be great. Tbh I really could do with bigger as eyesight isn't as good, but I agree 40 ish is probably the ideal for normal rooms. Mind you with no real bezels now the bigger tvs don't take up any more room

Barry
16-01-2021, 18:03
My partner has been pestering me for months now to get a 'smart' TV, so she can watch YouTube etc., as well as all the usual crap available.

Well today I relented and ordered an LG 43" Smart Full HD HDR LED TV. LG have a pretty good reputation, so I hope I have chosen wisely.

Marco
16-01-2021, 19:32
Not that LG aren't good mate (they are), but I thought you'd have gone for a Sony?:)

Anyway, as a technophobe, you've got the fun to look forward to of connecting it successfully to your network...:eyebrows: It should be a piece of piss, though.

Oh, and when set up, you'll be able to use it to view the forum, quelle joie!

Marco.

P.S Next she'll want the sound to come through the Quads (or some other speakers where the TV is), it's only a matter of time:D

Jac Hawk
16-01-2021, 21:33
Not that LG aren't good mate (they are), but I thought you'd have gone for a Sony?:)

Sony aren’t what they once were in the world of TV’s, LG are probably world leaders in flat panel technology at the moment, Sony don’t even make screens anymore it’s all bought in tech which at most they assemble and write the software, a shame really as Sony made some truly superb TV in years gone by.

Barry
16-01-2021, 23:40

Anyway, as a technophobe, you've got the fun to look forward to of connecting it successfully to your network...:eyebrows: It should be a piece of piss, though.

Oh, and when set up, you'll be able to use it to view the forum, quelle joie!

Marco.

P.S Next she'll want the sound to come through the Quads (or some other speakers where the TV is), it's only a matter of time:D

Well it was a bit of a punt and a simple matter of expediency. The new TV will be to replace the 37" (?) 'un-smart' TV in her place, which will be moved into the bedroom (!)

My Sony HD telly may or may not be "smart" (in fact, I don't really know exactly what a 'smart TV' is), save some of the channels it can receive come via a wi-fi link to the BT broadband hub. For example, should I subscribe, to Netflix. TV catch-up via iPlayer will be more convenient than using my computer or laptop.

I have never had a TV in the same room as my audio system, and that is not about to change. So there will be no connection to the Quads, despite strong hints! :nono: The TV is upstairs and audio enhancement is provided by a pair of B&W DM2a speakers, powered by a Quad 520 amplifier. I'm strictly 2.0. :lol:

Sherwood
17-01-2021, 00:36
My partner has been pestering me for months now to get a 'smart' TV, so she can watch YouTube etc., as well as all the usual crap available.

Well today I relented and ordered an LG 43" Smart Full HD HDR LED TV. LG have a pretty good reputation, so I hope I have chosen wisely.

If your set does not come with the LG smart remote it is worth buying one. It adds voice control to the smart functions which is much easier than using the on screen menu for searching.