PDA

View Full Version : Can't find it!

walpurgis
22-12-2019, 16:20
I've got a house full of electrical and Hi-Fi bits, but half the time I can't find what I'm looking for. I need capacitors to try out a set of recently arrived tweeters. I know I've got hundreds of the bleedin' things, but can't find a single one! :scratch:

It was the same when I wanted some Van Damme interconnect cable the other week. I've got about twenty metres tucked away, but no trace!

Anybody else got stuff that hides from you?

Puffin
22-12-2019, 16:45
All the time....it drives me mad! I end up buying some of the stuff I can't find and end up.......yup you've guessed it.

walpurgis
22-12-2019, 16:48
I end up buying some of the stuff I can't find and end up.......yup you've guessed it.

Yup. I do that too and sometimes find what I'd been needing when I put away any left over of what I'd bought! :D

walpurgis
22-12-2019, 16:59
I did just find a pack of four vintage style wood speaker feet whilst rummaging. Only thing is, there should be two packs and the other is nowhere to be seen. Bloody typical.

Frazeur1
22-12-2019, 17:34
I sold my house and moved into an apartment last May. Best thing I ever did. Got rid of tons of stuff, down sized hugely, now what little I really need, is easily gotten to, no fussing around, and I feel better for it. Radical, yes, and obviously not everyone’s solution to finding those little bits stored away! Ahhh well. I got nothing else.

Firebottle
22-12-2019, 17:52
It's happening too often Geoff. i know I have had a 10m Ethernet lead but can't find it. Bought another now.

struth
22-12-2019, 18:00
its called old age;) ... Why, I Go In And Out Of Comas All The… Zzzzz

ianlenco
22-12-2019, 18:20
Not being able to find things is a way of life for me but a variation on this theme is not being able to find the right number of things. Three screws when I need four, two footers when I need three etc - that's even more frustrating somehow.

walpurgis
22-12-2019, 18:25
its called old age;) ... Why, I Go In And Out Of Comas All The… Zzzzz

OK Grandpa.............Oh, hang on. You're younger than me! :D

southall-1998_mk2
22-12-2019, 18:58
Geoff, I can still remember seeing a large ball of bubble wrapping in your listening room. Do you still have it?

S.

Sixty2
22-12-2019, 21:51
Y’up. Just before moving house last August, I went looking for a 1m Auditorium A23 interconnect I’ve owned for years. It’s vanished! T’is a complete mystery.

walpurgis
22-12-2019, 21:56
Geoff, I can still remember seeing a large ball of bubble wrapping in your listening room. Do you still have it?

S.

I think there's some left, but in the shed now.

Alex_UK
22-12-2019, 22:16
Moved house in September - chucked out tonnes and tonnes of stuff - all good in theory, but now can't remember what was binned and what i kept, still packed in numerous boxes... Guess if i can't find it, it must have been dumped :scratch:

mikeyb
22-12-2019, 22:44

S.

Just don’t tell him to pop it in the corner, he’ll be there for hours [emoji23]

struth
23-12-2019, 02:32
As long as it doesn't start rolling across room like a tumbleweed

Pigmy Pony
23-12-2019, 07:11
Long lost items always turn up while searching for something else. Go hunt for that tin of .22 air pellets, and your capacitors will come to you :)

antonio
23-12-2019, 10:30
I can manage to lose my glasses in less than 30 seconds.

walpurgis
23-12-2019, 10:41
I can manage to lose my glasses in less than 30 seconds.

That can be awkward if you need a pair of glasses to find your glasses.

Spectral Morn
23-12-2019, 10:47
iPad Mini, can't find it. Know I put it away for safe keeping :doh:

struth
23-12-2019, 10:49
I stopped putting stuff away as I couldnt find it again, now i still cant find stuff, coz its hidden in plain sight or under something else.. cant bloody win

hifi_dave
23-12-2019, 11:08
Best way I have of finding anything lost/hiding is to ask my Wife. She will find it in seconds and give me a lecture about not looking further than my nose..:doh:

Mike Reed
23-12-2019, 12:08
You're lucky ! I occasionally lose my wife, but she is small. Nor does she tell me where she is. Just can't see eye to eye sometimes !

Oddball
23-12-2019, 18:20
Whilst doing a job , I tend to wander about with an item I need for that job , and as I perhaps am reminded there is something else I need , I put the first thing down ,in a random absent minded way.

Then a few seconds later I am looking for the first thing I had !!! WTF , wheres that gone ?? Many a time I find said object a few days later doing another random job or hunting for the next first thing I have lost , but at a later date !!

I always recall a family friend moved to town and when he dies a couple of years later , I was given a couple of new Stanley knives he had collected , because apparently evrey time he went to B&Q or Homebase , he picked up a new Stanley Knife or 3 , because he had obviously mislaid them or forgotten completely he had a new one (or 20 ):rolleyes:

All part of getting over 60 I dare say :)

Barry
23-12-2019, 22:39
I mislaid my mobile phone several weeks ago. I had it in London, but on my return to Essex I couldn't find it in my coat pocket. So we went back to my partner's place in London to find it, thinking it might be in a pocket of a different coat.. Did so, but no it wasn't where I hoped it might be.

So did the obvious thing (in retrospect!): asked my partner to phone me. And what did we find? - my mobile was in the same jacket I had worn leaving London and back again: it just wasn't in the pocket I thought it was! So my absentmindedness cost me £15 and two days concern! :doh:

Oddball
23-12-2019, 23:24
Tonight I defo thought I had gone completely mad !!!

Went to Mothers - took phone , into house with carrier bags ,2 bags for life ,same colour same bag one inside tother.
Mother loads me with pressies , drink coffee , and I put them in said bag/s and into car.
Head down Sainsburys , cant find phone . Back to Mams and look around -no phone .
Ask her to ring - she did - no sound - no phone .
Down Sainsburys , turn car upside down , look in bag still no phone -headtorch assisted still no !!
Just about to go into store and as I open back door for a bag ,think I hear last bit of a ring !!!!

Ahhh !!!!! :) , turn car upside down -no phone .
Go instore ,Grumpy , get stuff , check under car on way out in case I dropped it .
Get home , get house phone and ring the barstewarding thing !
Ring ring ,its in there somewhere :x

Quess what , only between the inside of the one bag and the other with the pressies in ,that I thought the phone was in all along !!

I still wonder who my mother rang when I first wanted her too!!! FFS

You love your mother ,but you cant always trust your mother (as Lou Reed famously said !!! )