PDA

View Full Version : Audiolab 8000cd / Filter setting ??

Gbeer7
17-06-2010, 11:42
Good afternoon,

I own an Audiolab 8000cd player. Just been reading some reviews on it and one article stated this

"One interesting feature of the DAC used here is that it has two filter settings available, 'slow' and 'fast' attenuation types with the former allowing more ultrasonic distortion through. Audiolab has taken the opportunity to offer both of these to the user of the 8000CD.
Audible difference

Most people who have experimented with filter selection will agree that the differences between them can often be quite significantly audible, but strictly speaking, the slower roll-off types are less accurate.

Unfortunately, as is almost invariably the case, even the 'fast' filter here is not quite up to the mark by our reckoning but, given that, it's actually good when compared with the general run of digital audio components. We used 'fast' for most of our listening, finding it a little clearer generally."

Can i switch between a 'fast' and 'slow' setting ? If so, how do i do that ? Be interested to try it !

Thanks,

Gbeer7
19-06-2010, 16:59
Anybody know ?

Thanks,

Spectral Morn
19-06-2010, 17:03
Anybody know ?

Thanks,

Sorry I don't. I liked the transport and Dac when they first came out back in the early 90's but we never (I worked in a HiFi shop) had a one box player in that I can recall, so can't help you.

Be patient someone will see this and maybe join AOS to offer advice assuming no one here knows.

Regards D S D L

trane
19-06-2010, 17:07
if the player's from the '90s UK-designed and made series then there's NO way to change any setting for that was a fixed filter design. however, i believe your 8000cd dates from the new post-2000 era, thus, it is the recent version you're speaking about. (btw, where/when's the quote from, i wonder?) in this case there should be something about changing the filter setting written in the manual, or a button on either on the player itself or on the remote, or on both, should give a clue to it

Gbeer7
22-06-2010, 12:23
The player itself was bought from new and is almot 2 years old.
Couple of reviews on the web seem to suggest you could change filter settings.

DSJR
22-06-2010, 13:28
Please check the instruction manual, as here is where you'll get the answers. if the manual isn't to hand, phone Audiolab and ask them...

It's not that the filters are there, but the EFFECTS of these filters that are the issue. Some bandwidth limited amps with simple hf filters of their own (older Quad preamps/older and cheaper Naim preamps) react badly with either the CD player filters, or the ultra-sonic noise from some older players..

If I were you, and baring in mind you have a modern Audiolab amp system, I'd give it a try on some delicate acoustic music and see which you prefer, as the 8000 amps over the decades have a pretty wide bandwidth as I remember and are stable with it to boot.