PDA

View Full Version : 383 Back From Repair

Ninanina
21-12-2019, 17:04
Well the 383 is now back from repair... it cost a total of £840 :stalks:

It was £480 to fix the crackle and selector knob problem and £360 for recommended reliability upgrades, however the £480 was paid for by the seller. All parts ordered from ML USA so took a few weeks

I've just got it back in the system and now using the Atlas Elektra XLR's purchased from Vince.... loving it ;)

RobbieGong
21-12-2019, 17:21
Back in action Bev, nice one ! :)

Ninanina
21-12-2019, 17:31
Back in action Bev, nice one ! :)

Thanks Robert.. I've so missed my toons... luckily the 383 is as good as I remember it. which is nice.. :)

I'm just wondering if all the new bits would need running in. ..they replaced 20+ resistors/capacitors.. they included all the old ones with the amp and there's a bag full :eek:

RobbieGong
21-12-2019, 17:37
Yeah, When Angus sorted my Sansui 919, same thing, literally everything got done, upgraded etc, including re-capping.

I remember he gave a me clear plastic bag of all the untold old bit, as a token :)

Ninanina
21-12-2019, 17:39
Yeah, When Angus sorted my Sansui 919, same thing, literally everything got done, upgraded etc, including re-capping.

I remember he gave a me clear plastic bag of all the untold old bit, as a token :)

So do you think there is a running in period for the new bits Robert ? The 383 sounds just fine but was wondering

RobbieGong
21-12-2019, 17:59
So do you think there is a running in period for the new bits Robert ? The 383 sounds just fine but was wondering

I'd say so Bev, As with these things, there'll be a 'burn in/ settling' period, so get some hours on and see.

Some people dont believe in it, pretty much like some folk don't believe in cables, interconnects making a difference etc but hey ho.

Another thing is all these little bits inside also have a bit of 'sound' of their own, hence some people get into using particular and different types of resistors and electronics bits ie: Nichicon etc

Either way, any difference can be fairly subtle sometimes and not obvious to some ears :)

Ninanina
21-12-2019, 18:09
I'd say so Bev, As with these things, there'll be a 'burn in/ settling' period, so get some hours on and see.

Some people dont believe in it, pretty much like some folk don't believe in cables, interconnects making a difference etc but hey ho.

Another thing is all these little bits inside also have a bit of 'sound' of their own, hence some people get into using particular and different types of resistors and electronics bits ie: Nichicon etc

Either way, any difference can be fairly subtle sometimes and not obvious to some ears :)

Great thanks Robert that was my thoughts as well

All the bits were from ML US so a match for the old parts I guess

It's been so long that to be honest I forgot how the 383 'sounded' but I'm pleased that it sounds amazing as it is, maybe better now I'm using the XLR's, I was using pretty cheap phono's before it went for repair. I really like how secure the XLR's seem to be too

Spectral Morn
21-12-2019, 18:13
Nice to see you back Bev, sorry to hear the ML caused you some problems. Glad its sorted out now.

Ninanina
21-12-2019, 18:17
Nice to see you back Bev, sorry to hear the ML caused you some problems. Glad its sorted out now.

Thanks Neil, it's good to be back.. ;)

I actually don't mind that the ML gave me some problems as I am seeing it as a keeper, so any upgrades etc is a bonus.. a rather expensive bonus mind...:doh:

Pigmy Pony
21-12-2019, 18:24
Nice that a big chunk of the cost was borne by the seller though :) The ML should be pretty bomb proof for many years now, fingers crossed.

Ninanina
21-12-2019, 18:34
Nice that a big chunk of the cost was borne by the seller though :) The ML should be pretty bomb proof for many years now, fingers crossed.

Yes the seller was fantastic to be honest... and eBay seller from Spain.. he was lovely about it

My thoughts exactly about it being bomb proof for some years now it's been repaired & upgraded

Ninanina
21-12-2019, 19:14
Now I just need to make some decent speaker cable... it will be cable from Furutech as well as their plugs & spades. My current cable is pretty cheapo

I can't decide which Furutech cable to purchase as it ranges from £8 p/m right up to about £300 odd.. I'll probably opt for something in the £30 p/m range

hornucopia
21-12-2019, 20:45
Try this instead?
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/nanotech7/1.html

Ninanina
21-12-2019, 20:54
Try this instead?
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/nanotech7/1.html

Thanks for that Chris..

Unfortunately I couldn't even give it a go as it's green... I am not superstitous really but I just can't have anything green ....

walpurgis
21-12-2019, 21:06
Thanks for that Chris..

Unfortunately I couldn't even give it a go as it's green... I am not superstitous really but I just can't have anything green ....

Must make it a bit tricky if you want a lawn in the garden. :)

Ninanina
21-12-2019, 21:09
Must make it a bit tricky if you want a lawn in the garden. :)

I don't mind lawns etc but I just can't have anything green to wear or cables for that matter...

hornucopia
21-12-2019, 22:01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRZ-IxZ46ng

also done by Van Morrison

Ninanina
21-12-2019, 22:06
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRZ-IxZ46ng

also done by Van Morrison

Nice one Chris...

Ninanina
21-12-2019, 22:49
The 383 has been playing for hours now and I'm loving it....

I totally forgot how it sounded as it's been so long without it

I know what made me think it's a 'keeper'... I will happily live with it for years as well as the 390 player

Ninanina
05-01-2020, 01:07
Is it possible that the 383 sounds better then before it was "serviced"?

Maybe it's because I've been without the ML for so long but I'm finding it sounding so much better than I remember..

I'm just loving the 383's sound with the .7's and, of course, the 390 in the mix

Frazeur1
05-01-2020, 01:16
I imagine not having for awhile, things would sound great getting it back! Hopefully you will be good to go for a long time on it!

Ninanina
05-01-2020, 01:44
I imagine not having for awhile, things would sound great getting it back! Hopefully you will be good to go for a long time on it!

I think so Tim.... certianly the original fault/s have been fixed... and some I reckon... :)

They replaced 18-20 odd bits so I'm sure I'll be good for a few years now..

Barry
05-01-2020, 22:25
Who did the work for you Bev? Was it Karma AV?

Ninanina
06-01-2020, 18:58
Who did the work for you Bev? Was it Karma AV?

Yes it was Karma AV... they ordered all the bits needed from Harman USA

I dealt with Tom at Karma and he was really good..

Ninanina
06-01-2020, 20:04
Just wondering if you were going to tell me Karma are no good Barry.... :doh:

The problems seem to be fixed so I'm a happy bunny... I was worried that they wouldn't find what the little crackle was about, as it was very faint, but that's gone now...;)

tapid
06-01-2020, 22:01
Just wondering if you were going to tell me Karma are no good Barry.... :doh:

The problems seem to be fixed so I'm a happy bunny... I was worried that they wouldn't find what the little crackle was about, as it was very faint, but that's gone now...;)

Yup, apparently Karma are crap Bev. lol JOKE. Glad its all sorted. Enjoy

Ninanina
07-01-2020, 19:58
Yup, apparently Karma are crap Bev. lol JOKE. Glad its all sorted. Enjoy

Thanks for that Brian :eek::eek:

Ninanina
28-01-2020, 20:05
I'm now convinced that the 383 is sounding better than it did before the repair's

Karma AV did replace a load of parts and completely re-soldered some boards as well

The amp is now completely silent so I know they've sorted the original problem/s

I am also sure that the 383 and the 390 cd player are keepers... I never thought I'd get to that position to be honest

Ninanina
17-02-2020, 01:51
It's nice for me to say that I'd not change anything in my current set-up

I reckon I've got to the 'diminishing returns' position and that I'd have to spend a lot of money to better the system I currently have so all the 'parts' of my system are definitly keepers..

The only thing I can do now is improve on the cables which I'm about to do

Pharos
17-02-2020, 17:03
That's a good place to be Bev, and you have good quality well built stuff.

IMO a part of that for me was that with diminishing returns, the constant chase and bother becomes both stressful and expensive.