PDA

View Full Version : 401 idler wheel question

da2222
19-12-2019, 06:00
Hi

I need to remove the clip holding the the lower bushing that sits under the idler wheel. How is it done? The idler wheel itself comes off easily but the clip seems to be screwed in from below. Can it be done from under the platter or do I have to access it from below the TT? Thanks!

Wakefield Turntables
19-12-2019, 08:27
Send us all a photo. I totally rebuilt mine. I suspect your going to have to remove a fact portion of the motor before you can get to that part. My memory isn't that great!!

graham67
19-12-2019, 22:31
I maybe misunderstanding the issue, but the idler alloy assy is held in place by a circlip that sits at the base of the chromed shaft it rotates on. Put a clear plastic bag around the assy to capture the circlip which will ping off at high speed. With the circlip removed you can lift the idler assembly free of the timetable. You will see there are 2 brass pins that hold the thin metal plate under the bottom bush that stops it dropping out. It is possible to prise these free but they will distort slightly. It would be worth getting spare brass pins from perfect sound. It is an irritating design which doesn't lend itself to frequent Disassembly. I would try to reuse the existing pins until you're happy that the bush is the correct size. There are different bush sizes available on epay.

graham67
19-12-2019, 22:34
Ps forgot to mention there are two springs U need to detach before pulling the idler assembly free. It is worth noting which holes the spring ends attach to as it is not obvious when you reassemble it ��

da2222
22-12-2019, 09:49
Great info, thanks very much indeed. All taken apart now and ready for new idler wheel and bushings to be fitted by Ray at CTC...