PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations needed for helpful and trustworth dealers in the London area.

twelvebears
15-06-2010, 06:49
No it's not for me, but a friend who is *finally* getting a decent system sorted out.

Embarrassingly, his a composer and conductor who set up an orchestra in Canary Wharf and now works for Universal Music on their classical music digital distribution programme AND YET DOESN'T HAVE A PROPER HIFI!!

Anyway, it seems my constant abuse, combined with the fact he's now bought a flat, means he's now sorting his act out.

Obviously the preference would be for me to help him cherry-pick a VFM system from pre-owned kit but he needs to get SHMBO on-board with the idea as he's planning to spend a fair chunk and want's to take her along to any auditions.

So then, in need honest, trustworthy dealers in the London area (neither of them drive) who also offer home demo services, as I've told him that he really MUST make his final decision after hearing it at home.

Suggestions please gents.

The Grand Wazoo
15-06-2010, 07:04
I'd be giving Howard at Stereo Now a call.
I've never bought anything from him, or met him, but I respect a man who puts this on his website:

Three out of every 11 encounters leads to a no-sale:
By:

telling the truth
sticking to the facts
avoiding the jargon
ignoring the snake oil and . . .
offering verifiable evidence as a consequence demonstrating the claims means that . . .

three out of every 11 encounters with potential buyers result in me telling them that I really can't take their money. This is usually because there's nothing wrong with the current system and/or it will cost far too much (e.g. beyond their budget) to gain an improvement rather than a difference.

And this would seem to fit the bill rather well:

Risk free 28-day home trial

For UK buyers, every item, except customised items which are classed as special orders, is on 28-days sale or return subject to the usual conditions re working condition, cosmetic condition and so on. If you return it, I usually pay the return carriage and it’s only under exceptional circumstances that I don’t. Unlike other retailers, there's no 'transfer fee' or 'paper work' fee or 'admin' fee.

Many of his customers remain his customers for the very long term.

StereoNow Ltd, Rowlandson House
289-293 Ballards Lane
London N12 8NP
Tel: 0208 369 6047
Email: enquiries@stereonow.co.uk

John
15-06-2010, 07:04
Grahams in North London do home demos http://grahams.co.uk/index.php
The others I suggest MAD Tim a really decent guy He is more a manufacturer these days but should be able to help set up a home demo http://www.madengland.com/catalog.loudspeaker.php
Purite Audio Keith is very decent but his gear is not cheap
http://www.puriteaudio.co.uk/
Howard's Stereonow http://www.stereonow.co.uk/
Also found Richard of Harrow Audio quite decent to deal with

John
15-06-2010, 07:05
I'd be giving Howard at Stereo Now a call.
I've never bought anything from him, or met him, but I respect a man who puts this on his website:

Three out of every 11 encounters leads to a no-sale:
By:

telling the truth
sticking to the facts
avoiding the jargon
ignoring the snake oil and . . .
offering verifiable evidence as a consequence demonstrating the claims means that . . .

three out of every 11 encounters with potential buyers result in me telling them that I really can't take their money. This is usually because there's nothing wrong with the current system and/or it will cost far too much (e.g. beyond their budget) to gain an improvement rather than a difference.

And this would seem to fit the bill rather well:

Risk free 28-day home trial

For UK buyers, every item, except customised items which are classed as special orders, is on 28-days sale or return subject to the usual conditions re working condition, cosmetic condition and so on. If you return it, I usually pay the return carriage and it’s only under exceptional circumstances that I don’t. Unlike other retailers, there's no 'transfer fee' or 'paper work' fee or 'admin' fee.

Many of his customers remain his customers for the very long term.

StereoNow Ltd, Rowlandson House
289-293 Ballards Lane
London N12 8NP
Tel: 0208 369 6047
Email: enquiries@stereonow.co.uk

Howard larger than life but decent

DSJR
15-06-2010, 07:22
O'Briens in Wimbledon? Right below the Absolute Sounds offices, but don't let that put you off. A good range from someone who's been there and done that for decades..

Does Howard sell "real world" gear?

Grahams - you...will...do...it...our...way.......

KJ - if there's a day when Richard Davies is there

Walrus - as long as your friend doesn't find them too "wacky"

Oranges & Lemons - I've known Evelyn for decades and he's a good chap

twelvebears
15-06-2010, 08:18
O'Briens in Wimbledon? Right below the Absolute Sounds offices, but don't let that put you off. A good range from someone who's been there and done that for decades..

Does Howard sell "real world" gear?

Grahams - you...will...do...it...our...way.......

KJ - if there's a day when Richard Davies is there

Walrus - as long as your friend doesn't find them too "wacky"

Oranges & Lemons - I've known Evelyn for decades and he's a good chap

Cheers Dave, I'll stick O&L, O'Briens and Walrus on the list. Would avoid KJ as it's a very mixed bag and Tris is a complete 'newbie'

Spectral Morn
15-06-2010, 08:48
I would second Howard at Stereonow.

Also have a chat with Simon Bennett at Absolute Analogue http://www.absoluteanalogue.co.uk/. He's a distributor and retailer and one of the finest guys in audio. He does like to talk a bit though but in a good way, he is very passionate about music and the equipment he represents.

Regards D S D L

John
15-06-2010, 16:24
Just a quick thought about Howard he will generally use the equipment he sells in his own system

The Grand Wazoo
15-06-2010, 17:44
QUOTE DSJR: Does Howard sell "real world" gear?

That depends what you call real world. NAD, LFD.....?

DSJR
15-06-2010, 19:37
LFD is NOT real world, but equipment up to lower-caste naim is IMO.

How much does Tris wish to spend?

I think a trip up the M11 is called for - to HiFi Dave at Radlett Audio near Saffron Walden... :) (can someone provide a lift?) He has good things from Rega (their entire range is good with both vinyl AND CD sources), Croft, LFD (oh yes indeedy), Puresound, Naim and speakers from Kudos, Neat, Heco Celan, Rega and my beloved Harbeth (possibly the least "HiFi" passive speakers around). As you guys should know, Dave has no "attitude" unlike some big ego's in what remains of the audio industry and he has the expertise to suggest a good musically enjoyable system you'll want to keep for years...

colinB
15-06-2010, 20:36
Have to give Unilet in New Malden a shout because they are the nicest guys ive dealt with in London, and ive tried a few. Massive range of kit and very relaxed for first time buyers.

DSJR
16-06-2010, 16:53
I forgot them - if they're anything like several years ago, they carry a HUGE stock and seem to know what they're about.

colinB
16-06-2010, 17:31
They sell loads of cool new vinyl as well which is why i try not to go in there to often.

Mr. C
17-06-2010, 12:06
I would agree Vernon @ Ulitlet and Simon @ Infidelity are two decent guys

Effem
17-06-2010, 14:22
I would agree Vernon @ Ulitlet and Simon @ Infidelity are two decent guys

Crikey, are Unilet still going? I used to venture in there quite a bit way back in the 70's. I can visualise that distinctive smell of Japanese components when they are fresh out of the box and the darkened rooms with rows of gorgeous tuner/amp tuning dials all lit up from the likes of Pioneer, Akai and Marantz. A huge great big Comparator dominated one of the shelves with girt big speakers squeezed in all together underneath.

I bet it aint like that now! :)

Mr. C
17-06-2010, 14:26
Hello Frank,

They have updated the listeneing rooms upstairs very nicely, though being honest a 70's shop feel still reamins downstairs.
Good bunch of guys in there