PDA

View Full Version : SME Leaves the Tonearm Business

jandl100
04-12-2019, 14:39
https://www.stereonet.co.uk/news/sme-leaves-the-tonearm-business?fbclid=IwAR0MIArzk-nNZJjxi9GYqMBC9d48l9PRt1pNgJPKR2_D4K3B5UgFuh9u684

SME arms only to be sold as a package with their turntables from now on.

take5
04-12-2019, 14:50
That’s a shame.

Ive had many 3009s and 3012s and enjoyed them a lot.

I only owned one modern one, a “5”.

I loved it. It looked really great, and as it was used on a fantastic turntable, a VOYD 3 motor, it sounded fantastic too.

If a big company such as this decides it isn’t viable any more, then the end really is near for turntables. Do you think?

Wir a’ doomed I tell ye....dooomed !

hifi_dave
04-12-2019, 14:56
Plenty of other makes selling in the UK but because of their price hikes, SME is very expensive here and so they have limited their market.

walpurgis
04-12-2019, 15:04
I expect that will boost second hand prices. Not that they are exactly low.

YNWaN
04-12-2019, 15:41
If a big company such as this decides it isn’t viable any more, then the end really is near for turntables. Do you think?

Audio is only a small part of SME as a whole and I wouldn’t read into this decision the negative connotations you suggest.

In fact the statement from SME would seem to contradict you suggest that the end of the turntable is near - quite the opposite in fact; “The company states that this decision is based on the growth of its turntable business and commitment to higher production levels”.

Pigmy Pony
04-12-2019, 18:47
That’s a shame.

I loved it. It looked really great, and as it was used on a fantastic turntable, a VOYD 3 motor, it sounded fantastic too.

Not necessarily, it could just be that with growing numbers of high quality tonearms available at more realistic prices they are seeing their market share shrinking - and have decided to jump before they were pushed. Just my uneducated opinion of course.

Pigmy Pony
04-12-2019, 18:49
Or maybe they're trying what Heinz did with their salad cream a few years ago, and are now just waiting for the outcry to begin.

JohnG
04-12-2019, 19:04
It is now to be, that certain individuals who wish to aspire to a SME Tonearm will either be buying a used tonearm as many have, or buying a SME TT > Tonearm Combination if they wish to own one new.
A used SME Tonearm as a purchase can be a very wise purchase, many own a used purchase SME and have not looked back, with the added bonus of having funds remaining to attach a quality cartridge, this as the option has its attraction when compared to a new purchase price.
I can't see all SME TT customers wanting to buy into a high end Tonearm from SME.
I'm sure there will be other preferences being considered long before monies are exchanged with SME.

As for Vinyl being a lost cause, I think that the present market presented to Artists, is making the Vinyl Medium a very attractive option.
There are Market Surveys now available showing just how much a Artist has to sell on a Digital Streaming Media Platform to match a return on a low volume sale item such as vinyl.
I also know that well known artists are not releasing material on a Digital Streaming Media Platform, until a sales figure of around 100 000 copies of a traditional media are created.
Vinyl is at present a ascending market, with sales figures, slowly creeping towards parity with CD, which has descending sales figures and is losing its position in the market.
It is today believed that Artists are very interested in releasing material on Vinyl.

Pigmy Pony
04-12-2019, 19:28
It is now to be, that certain individuals who wish to aspire to a SME Tonearm will either be buying a used tonearm as many have, or buying a SME TT > Tonearm Combination if they wish to own one new.
A used SME Tonearm as a purchase can be a very wise purchase, many own a used purchase SME and have not looked back, with the added bonus of having funds remaining to attach a quality cartridge, this as the option has its attraction when compared to a new purchase price.
I can't see all SME TT customers wanting to buy into a high end Tonearm from SME.
I'm sure there will be other preferences being considered long before monies are exchanged with SME.

As for Vinyl being a lost cause, I think that the present market presented to Artists, is making the Vinyl Medium a very attractive option.
There are Market Surveys now available showing just how much a Artist has to sell on a Digital Streaming Media Platform to match a return on a low volume sale item such as vinyl.
I also know that well known artists are not releasing material on a Digital Streaming Media Platform, until a sales figure of around 100 000 copies of a traditional media are created.
Vinyl is at present a ascending market, with sales figures, slowly creeping towards parity with CD, which has descending sales figures and is losing its position in the market.
It is today believed that Artists are very interested in releasing material on Vinyl.

I'm betting that for many artists, the intangible presence of their efforts on hard drives and streams does not shout LEGACY, while a substantial physical media with nice artwork does. And long may it continue :)

JohnG
04-12-2019, 19:59
I'm not a vinyl collector, I am a vinyl user.
Apart from a few recent purchases I have not stripped of their cellophane yet.
I only have one purchase from yesteryear in cellophane that now causes me a dilemma, it is the original Pink Floyd the Pulse. I forgot I owned it, I put it away for a rainy day, and it never surfaced to recently, it still had the £50 receipt in the bag.
That is now a difficult one to devalue by giving it a spin.
That type of experience is far from a reality with any digital medium I know off.

A more recent experience in the last 18 months was with Lee Harvey Osmond ' Beautiful Scars', I wanted it as Xmas gift but bought a alternative album, then a few months on, I attempted to purchase it as my Birthday Treat,
the £30 Album was discovered to now be a out of print £600 purchase, if one can be found.
I was Gutted that a fave album was so cruelly torn from my vinyl experience.
Again I don't know of anything like that taking place with a digital medium.

Vinyl deserves support, and if those who support it can tell a tale or two like mine then I'm sure the wild fire will take hold and many more will want once more to take part.

Plus the Artist we so much enjoy will find easier riches on their career paths, rather than be ousted by a wannabee thrusting their fannies or ab's into a lens to achieve 100's of 1000's of hits in the social media sense.

graham67
04-12-2019, 21:15
The impending all new Garrard turntable is likely to be another factor in this decision. I understand that Garrard will be priced under SME, with, i suspect, many being sold with a supplied tonearm.

mbic
06-12-2019, 19:43
I pity the person who has just finished restoring a Garrard 301 or 401 and was looking to buy a new SME tonearm to complement the finished turntable.
Hopefully, they wouldn’t have cut the arm board out for an SME, unless the are going to buy a used one!

montesquieu
06-12-2019, 19:54
I pity the person who has just finished restoring a Garrard 301 or 401 and was looking to buy a new SME tonearm to complement the finished turntable.
Hopefully, they wouldn’t have cut the arm board out for an SME, unless the are going to buy a used one!

New prices have been utterly ridiculous for a long time, I doubt many people here would be traipsing off to buy a new one anyway. And it's not as if there's a shortage of arms out there, SME or otherwise.

prestonchipfryer
06-12-2019, 20:31
I doubt many people here would be traipsing off to buy a new one anyway. And it's not as if there's a shortage of arms out there, SME or otherwise.

As I understand it they have almost 800 arms on back order alone. Not a huge amount but at their prices a substantial amount of money involved. But as you say probably not many on here.

YNWaN
06-12-2019, 20:31
The way this news has been received by the audio forums (in the UK at least) makes me smile ruefully as it has, almost universally, been interpreted as a negative move for SME and the analogue market in general. However, what SME actually appear to be saying is that, contrary to predictions of impending analogue gloom, they intend to significantly step up production of turntables, also including new models (quite possibly including associated brands) and they need their arm production to supply these new products. So, in essence, they don’t think they will have sufficient ‘spare’ arms to supply their OEM customers. So far from being a negative for future analogue support, I see this as an affirmation of continued, and growing, support for all things analogue :).

prestonchipfryer
06-12-2019, 20:32
The way this news has been received by the audio forums (in the UK at least) makes me smile ruefully as it ha, almost universally been interpreted as a negative move for SME and the analogue market in general. However, what SME actually appear to be saying is that, contrary to predictions of impending analogue gloom, they intend to significantly step up production of turntables, also including new models (quite possibly including associated brands) and they need their arm production to supply these these new products. So, in essence, they don’t think they will have sufficient ‘spare’ arms to supply their OEM customers. So far from being a negative for future analogue support, I see this as an affirmation of continued, and growing, support for all things analogue :).

That I would say is pretty much what is happening. :)

chris@panteg
07-12-2019, 18:19
That’s a shame.

I got hold of another Voyd last summer and at the same time an offer for a V I couldn't refuse!
And yes it does sound marvellous, very happy and this is going nowhere anytime soon.

Mike Reed
08-12-2019, 14:29
The way this news has been received by the audio forums (in the UK at least) makes me smile ruefully as it has, almost universally, been interpreted as a negative move for SME and the analogue market in general. However, what SME actually appear to be saying is that, contrary to predictions of impending analogue gloom, they intend to significantly step up production of turntables, also including new models (quite possibly including associated brands) and they need their arm production to supply these new products. So, in essence, they don’t think they will have sufficient ‘spare’ arms to supply their OEM customers. So far from being a negative for future analogue support, I see this as an affirmation of continued, and growing, support for all things analogue :).

Makes a lot of sense, esp. if their arm manufacturing capacity is fixed. Amazing, though, that they're expecting vastly increased complete record player sales at those prices; maybe okay now, but when the £ appreciates.......?

Vrajbasi
08-12-2019, 16:09
I have been told that there will be some major revisions to the turntables in the near future with a new power supply and motor etc, the problem is that the turntables were left unchanged for years and certainly makes it hard for average joe bloggs to justify the price increase. The new revisions may help the main problem I see that for many with 30k to spend on a turntable the model 30/2 just seems like old hat been there done that kind of thing. If the turntables were launched today they could be accepted at the new prices as not many can offer there level of build. I have many friends who do drop that kind of money on a record deck, but sme generally there first call as it looks kind of dated and too conservative. The brand have never really appealed to the real big spenders in my opinion those guys would rather buy a Tech Das or a Kronos which is my opinion are no better and in many cases just not as good especially in terms of fit and finish.

Maybe a refresh will help considering some of many flaky new kids who offer very little in the way of fit and finish and support there are alot worse ways to spend ones money. Somehow the current line up needs to be refreshed an re introduced, I wish them well as there is certainly something in the brand. I am one of the few who love the turntables and would be very happy to pay the current prices when I investigate what is actually on the market.

gwernaffield
08-12-2019, 16:30
the arm tubes are made in the usa may be the pound V dollar may have finaly hit home,not every one can pay out 10k on a deck , i think it is a mistake,one which sme my regret ,after all they own garrard now as well,
pete

Vrajbasi
08-12-2019, 17:39
the arm tubes are made in the usa may be the pound V dollar may have finaly hit home,not every one can pay out 10k on a deck , i think it is a mistake,one which sme my regret ,after all they own garrard now as well,
pete

Good point I was told recently that the arm tube supplier was changed a few years back and prices went up drastically.

JohnG
09-12-2019, 19:49
After a little fumbling I have come across a report on the recent history of SME as a Company.
In 2016 SME were purchased by a Corporation called Cadence.

I seem to getting the idea Cadence were intending on capitalising on SME Engineering name by using it for producing parts for other renowned industries.

Cadence have bought up a few Single Component Audio Companies, one being the British Company Spendor, one being a Dutch Company Siltech and another Company Crystal Cables.

SME had their marketing removed from their control, and sales and sales strategies were to be handled by a Company called Padood.

Maybe trying to second guess SME, 'as one thinks they know them', for their future marketing strategy is an impossibility, as it might not be theirs in the first place ?

gwernaffield
09-12-2019, 20:33
Cadence audio , is owened by one person who has a 75% stake in SME , so you could say he owns that as well , as garrad, etc ,, Ajay Baburao SHIRKE( companies house ) he owns at least 75% of the compnies ,
www.cwmdiecast.com these are the people that were supplying the casting for the arm tubes ,
pete

struth
09-12-2019, 20:39
Must be a very rich person then

gwernaffield
09-12-2019, 20:47
grant you could say that, he seems to own a lot of audio companies, sme did this when he first took over and then put the prices up,i would take a guess that is what may happen again, after a couple of years thay will come back with a stupid price tag,
if you have forked out 30k on one of their tables well 10k for a 309 will seem cheap

JohnG
09-12-2019, 21:13
Sound like a Electric Razor Advert from yesteryear, Back to the days of being bombarded with Brut and Black Magic at Christmas.

" I Liked it so much, I bought the Company " :D

montesquieu
09-12-2019, 21:17
Cadence audio , is owened by one person who has a 75% stake in SME , so you could say he owns that as well , as garrad, etc ,, Ajay Baburao SHIRKE( companies house ) he owns at least 75% of the compnies ,
www.cwmdiecast.com these are the people that were supplying the casting for the arm tubes ,
pete

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajay_Shirke

loheswaran
09-12-2019, 22:24
This is pretty bizarre.
They've always made tonearms - in fact they were often found on Garrards.
They buy the Garrard name which they then sell at over £15,000 and intend to re-tool for that.

Edward
09-12-2019, 22:36
Ajay Shirke was at the recent HiFi show at Ascot. Seemed like a friendly guy.

Selling a souped up £18k 301 TT would make me friendly as well. :)