PDA

View Full Version : Album Club, December 2019: Alan Parsons Project - 'I Robot'

Album Club
01-12-2019, 00:27
The Album Club choice for December comes courtesy of Adrian (AJSki2fly) with the Alan Parsons Project - 'I Robot'. As always, please listen to the album in its entirety before you comment and vote.

Alan Parsons Project - I Robot

https://img.discogs.com/2-ei1_5UeN1Z0_NnoGceUETVnQM=/fit-in/600x600/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():qualit y(90)/discogs-images/R-773190-1463242797-8144.jpeg.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Robot_(album)

So this is Alan Parsons second album, I have chosen it as I purchased it just after it was released when I was 19, I knew nothing about him and it was the cover that caught me. I took it home put it on and thought wow, what a record, what super production and great music. I then rushed round to my best friend and said you have to hear this, we sat and listened and we both became hooked buying virtually every subsequent Alan Parson Project album.

I suspect some of you may know it or maybe not, if not I hope it gives you a similar experience I had the first time I heard it. It is quite well known in the HiFi listening world as a LP to go to, to listen to a system due to its range of dynamics and mixture of textures a superb recording. I have had it over the years in many media forms, I believe the best experience for it is a good vinyl copy of it, but if you are a digital listener then I would advise as hi-res as possible.

I think all the tracks shine and find it difficult to highlight any, I will let you be the judge of that.

On TIDAL there are 3 versions, the original, the expanded, and the Legacy edition. You may want to listen to some of the additional legacy tracks as it give an idea how some were built up.

Happy listening, Adrian :)

I Robot - Spotify (https://open.spotify.com/album/2vtMi0d0613jhp85klO9eb?si=NM-NdkSATtK4__4CKLPO3g)

I Robot - youtube (https://youtu.be/vB8dweYCLes)

If you are into Digital then its available to buy here or stream you have an account:-

the-alan-parsons-project-i-robot-remastered on High Res Audio (https://www.highresaudio.com/en/album/view/22rok5/the-alan-parsons-project-i-robot-remastered)

YNWaN
01-12-2019, 21:59
I see that nobody, other (disappointingly) than myself, has responded to this but it does, for me, raise the whole question of the ‘point’ of this thread. So, if we look at the last three suggestions we have (I think) one by Eddie Brickell, one by Thomas Dolby and now one from the Alan Parson’s Project. Now the first two are from classic 80’s audiophile artists. Anyone around at that time would likely have found both artists in many audio demo rooms (I certainly did). Turning to the APP recording; well although my own heyday of prog enjoyment has largely passed (though I still enjoy bits of King Crimson and Peter Hammill) I can’t say I was ever particularly keen on the APP and found their work rather derivative and a bit ‘prog lite’ in nature - but, rather like Thomas Dolby and Eddie Brickell, I would expect most readers to be familiar with their work. So my point is, rather than revisiting past ‘glories’, should we not be looking at music that experienced music lovers/audiophiles are unfamiliar with? On the other hand I realise that some previous suggestions have been so ‘left field’ as to almost guarantee exclusion of most musical tastes.

Lawrence001
01-12-2019, 23:12
I'm planning to have a listen on my next commute with Tidal.

Barry
02-12-2019, 02:10
I see that nobody, other (disappointingly) than myself, has responded to this but it does, for me, raise the whole question of the ‘point’ of this thread. So, if we look at the last three suggestions we have (I think) one by Eddie Brickell, one by Thomas Dolby and now one from the Alan Parson’s Project. Now the first two are from classic 80’s audiophile artists. Anyone around at that time would likely have found both artists in many audio demo rooms (I certainly did). Turning to the APP recording; well although my own heyday of prog enjoyment has largely passed (though I still enjoy bits of King Crimson and Peter Hammill) I can’t say I was ever particularly keen on the APP and found their work rather derivative and a bit ‘prog lite’ in nature - but, rather like Thomas Dolby and Eddie Brickell, I would expect most readers to be familiar with their work. So my point is, rather than revisiting past ‘glories’, should we not be looking at music that experienced music lovers/audiophiles are unfamiliar with? On the other hand I realise that some previous suggestions have been so ‘left field’ as to almost guarantee exclusion of most musical tastes.

This Album Club choice suggestion has only been up for one day, so it is not surprising that there has not been much of a response as yet. The poll is open for 30 days, which gives those interested plenty of time to comment and vote.

The whole 'point' of the Album Club is to either introduce music that although popular, might have passed Members by, or to introduce them to new music; something that is, as you say, 'left field' and perhaps challenging.

You say you have responded, but as of this post no vote has been registered. If you think little of this month's Album Club choice, say so and vote.

We look forward to your Album Club choice in February 2020. From your comments so far I'm expecting it to be something unfamiliar to Members, and something to shake us out of our stupor and lack of imagination.

AJSki2fly
02-12-2019, 08:06
This Album Club choice suggestion has only been up for one day, so it is not surprising that there has not been much of a response as yet. The poll is open for 30 days, which gives those interested plenty of time to comment and vote.

The whole 'point' of the Album Club is to either introduce music that although popular, might have passed Members by, or to introduce them to new music; something that is, as you say, 'left field' and perhaps challenging.

You say you have responded, but as of this post no vote has been registered. If you think little of this month's Album Club choice, say so and vote.

We look forward to your Album Club choice in February 2020. From your comments so far I'm expecting it to be something unfamiliar to Members, and something to shake us out of our stupor and lack of imagination.

I quite agree Barry.

I could have easily chosen something completely new, challenging or otherwise, but I decided after some careful thought to choose a record that stands on its own merits and has done not only for me but many others, and hopefully will give those that have not heard it before some listening pleasure. As for Mark(WYNaN) classifying Alan Parson Project as Prog Rock I would urge others to disregard that unsympathetic classification, there are some excellent songs on the album and a couple of very good instrumentals on it. It would be nice if people just participated, listened, and made comments on what they heard and refrained from being negative about what has been chosen just because it is not this or that, or what they would choose.

Lawrence001
02-12-2019, 11:06

The clue is in the title [emoji38]

Didn't see anything about a vote, I take it Tapatalk doesn't have that option?

AJSki2fly
02-12-2019, 15:55
The clue is in the title [emoji38]

Didn't see anything about a vote, I take it Tapatalk doesn't have that option?

Have to do vote accessing AoS from web browser:)

gninnam
02-12-2019, 19:37
Will be travelling tomorrow for a few hours so will listen and give my feedback in the next few days.

Ashmore
03-12-2019, 08:38
Never heard any APP before. I tried to like this. Started promisingly enough, but with every subsequent track it felt more and more like an album of its era, but not one I’d want to commit time getting to know. 4

high.spirits
03-12-2019, 12:31
Well I'm finding it hard to comment on this album, such a mixed bag. From the first track i robot, I thought "this is not for me", but then track 2 was different.

The Voice track reminded me of The Temptations - Papa Was A Rolling Stone (All Directions LP version). The bass line and clapping is so similar. A confused 6/10.

YNWaN
03-12-2019, 16:19

I can see my vote - it was a 4 (and I voted before I wrote my previous post). I didn’t realise the thread had only been up for a day though, so apologies for that.

I like the idea of an album club but I just don’t see the point of posting albums (or artists) that the majority probably already know (or should do). For example, I like a bit of Hawkwind* and the Velvet Underground**, but I wouldn’t post albums by either of those artists as they are really well known and I would expect most here to have already formed a view as to whether they are the sort of thing they like, or not.

* I haven’t listened to any Hawkwind in ages, I must give my copy of PXR5 a spin, also Hawklords :).

**Although I recently requested Velvet Underground tracks at two different audio shows (I was asked what I would like them to play) and in both cases the people running the rooms had never heard of them!
——-

I note your sarcasm Barry, a bit low for a moderator don’t you think? It’s you who is referring to a ‘lack of imagination’, not me! However, if you wish to take umbrage at a comment not even referring to a post of yours then please feel free!

struth
03-12-2019, 16:25
not heard this, or i dont recall if i have. app was never on my menu but will give it a spin later as i have tidal at moment. i doubt i will like it but you never know:eyebrows:

YNWaN
03-12-2019, 16:30
I quite agree Barry.

I could have easily chosen something completely new, challenging or otherwise, but I decided after some careful thought to choose a record that stands on its own merits and has done not only for me but many others, and hopefully will give those that have not heard it before some listening pleasure. As for Mark(WYNaN) classifying Alan Parson Project as Prog Rock I would urge others to disregard that unsympathetic classification, there are some excellent songs on the album and a couple of very good instrumentals on it. It would be nice if people just participated, listened, and made comments on what they heard and refrained from being negative about what has been chosen just because it is not this or that, or what they would choose.

Apologies Adrian if APP do not fit within the descriptor of ‘Prog’, I have always thought of them in that manner. However, earlier requests for ‘Album Club’ comments have been for more contentious posts and my comments were posted with that in mind - no personal slur was intended (and I quite agree that the musicianship is first rate).

AJSki2fly
03-12-2019, 18:49
Apologies Barry if APP do not fit within the descriptor of ‘Prog’, I have always thought of them in that manner. However, earlier requests for ‘Album Club’ comments have been for more contentious posts and my comments were posted with that in mind - no personal slur was intended (and I quite agree that the musicianship is first rate).

Mark, you are muddling me with Barry, I am Adrian. Anyway the point I was trying to make is that in my view or understanding is the Album Club is for anyone to put up any album for others to listen to that they think is worth hearing, and it really shouldn't matter if it is old or new, and can be from and genre, to be honest there is so much out there no one is going to know everything that is put up.

By the way I like Hawkwind as well, I have most of their albums and have seen them 4 times, and met Stacia about 3 years, which was interesting.

Alex_UK
03-12-2019, 19:35
Well, I have this and several other APP albums because well, I thought I should, as they passed me by at the time. I’ll give it a few more listens, as to be honest I haven’t played it much. So, therefore for me, Album Club re-introduces me to this album, for better or worse.

Now, I have just checked my collection, and have no Hawkwind nor Velvet Underground - so an album from either of those would be broadening my horizons. :)

AJSki2fly
03-12-2019, 21:59
Well, I have this and several other APP albums because well, I thought I should, as they passed me by at the time. I’ll give it a few more listens, as to be honest I haven’t played it much. So, therefore for me, Album Club re-introduces me to this album, for better or worse.

Now, I have just checked my collection, and have no Hawkwind nor Velvet Underground - so an album from either of those would be broadening my horizons. :)

Don’t forget to score it Alex, for better or worse. By the way start with Hawkwind Doremi Solfa Latido or X In Search of Space.

AJSki2fly
03-12-2019, 21:59

Don’t forget to score it Alex, for better or worse. By the way start with Hawkwind Doremi Solfa Latido or X In Search of Space.

Edward
04-12-2019, 09:38
APP released various LPs at the time I and a bunch of friends were actively listening and exploring music of a similar style (Supertramp, ELO etc) so IRobot formed part of that time and therefore has emotional appeal. Album very well recorded and mastered (not surprising given Alan Parson's background) and some great layered tracks. However lyrics somewhat overblown/pretentious and parts have very much a 'project' feel (the clue I guess is in the name). Various albums released in DSD format (including IRobot)which shows off the excellent recording/mastering that was done.

These days I tend not to listen to APP but for reasons mentioned above 7/10.

APP apparently are still touring.

YNWaN
04-12-2019, 09:57
Mark, you are muddling me with Barry, I am Adrian. Anyway the point I was trying to make is that in my view or understanding is the Album Club is for anyone to put up any album for others to listen to that they think is worth hearing, and it really shouldn't matter if it is old or new, and can be from and genre, to be honest there is so much out there no one is going to know everything that is put up.

By the way I like Hawkwind as well, I have most of their albums and have seen them 4 times, and met Stacia about 3 years, which was interesting.

Sorry Adrian for mixing you up - I’ve edited the post. It was intended for you but I just (foolishly) used the name in the quote. By the way, I didn’t mean to use the term ‘prog’ to imply anything negative or dismissive (I’ve got loads of prog, Soft Machine, VDG Generator, Peter Hammill, King Crimson, etc.)

I’ve been cogitating on my views regarding ‘album club’ and my conclusion is that I misunderstood its purpose and rather than just being a vehicle to introduce new artists it is more for remembering artists that may have slipped by the listening wayside (as it were). If that is the case then I completely see the point of this APP suggestion and the previous Thomas Dolby and Edie Brickell. However, I think my greater mistake was to assume that all these artists are well known to everyone.

YNWaN
04-12-2019, 10:13

Ha, well you are in for a surprise/shock then because both are truly iconic groups and also nothing like each other! I’ve been ‘in to’ both bands since my teens and still love their music now. In some ways TVU have an advantage in that they have long since disbanded so their legacy is set. Hawkwind are still performing (still touring) and their current music is less to my taste.

Anyway, apologies for the digression, back to the Alan Parsons Project :).

struth
04-12-2019, 10:13
Interesting album. A bit sifi geek in style and inclined to flit all over the place at times. Its not going to grab me enough to make me love it, but after saying that it was pleasant enough for most part, considering it was perhaps a bit self admiring.
Also, I had not knowingly heard it before so a plus.
overall, a 7/10 I think. Maybe a tad high but there were aspects of it I liked..

YNWaN
04-12-2019, 10:18
Apparently it was originally going to be a concept album (you have to admit that is a very prog trope) based on the ‘I, robot’ short stories (later compiled in to a book) by Issac Asimov. However, during the early stages the film rights for the book were sold and the APP had to rename the album by dropping the , and reworked some of the content so it was less literal to IA’s stories.

Discopants
04-12-2019, 17:32
I've just started to listen to this so will report back later with impressions and score. However, I just wanted to say that the last 3 albums were all totally new to me (although I did recognise 1 or 2 singles).
I also highly rated the Thomas Dolby one because of the exceptional production and sound quality of the Spotify version.

On the other hand my offering 1Q next year is within the last 2 years and a first album release to boot!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Barry
05-12-2019, 21:12
Very ‘70s, all of the Alan Parsons Project’s outputs are superbly recorded and engineered audio extravaganzas, so it is not surprising they were often used as test discs at the audio shows.

I used to own a few: ‘Tales of Mystery and Imagination’; ‘The Eye in the Sky’ and ‘Ammonia Avenue’, and they were all LPs with which to show off one’s hi-fi to visitors.

Listening to ‘I Robot’, a recording that had passed me by at the time, I was again reminded of what attracted me to the Alan Parsons Project: interesting subject matter (some of the LPs are conceptual in idea, being based on books); superb recording; superb production; superb musicianship’ and the fun and games of spotting influences.

On hearing the reverse music of the opening track I thought “Ah Soft Machine” and thereafter heard influences of Floyd’s ‘Atom Hart Mother’; Emerson Lake and Palmer, and of the music of Györgi Ligeti.

Despite having intelligent and thought-provoking lyrics, I very much preferred the purely instrumental tracks here – as I do on all the APP records I have heard. Sounding very much of its time, and being a bit of a curate’s egg to my ears, I’m scoring it with an 8/10 – simply because I enjoyed the trip down memory lane. And because of that I re-listened to ‘The Eye in the Sky’ afterwards and wondered why I got rid of the few APP records I used to own!

Good choice Adrian.

AJSki2fly
05-12-2019, 21:24
Very ‘70s, all of the Alan Parsons Project’s outputs are superbly recorded and engineered audio extravaganzas, so it is not surprising they were often used as test discs at the audio shows.

I used to own a few: ‘Tales of Mystery and Imagination’; ‘The Eye in the Sky’ and ‘Ammonia Avenue’, and they were all LPs with which to show off one’s hi-fi to visitors.

Listening to ‘I Robot’, a recording that had passed me by at the time, I was again reminded of what attracted me to the Alan Parsons Project: interesting subject matter (some of the LPs are conceptual in idea, being based on books); superb recording; superb production; superb musicianship’ and the fun and games of spotting influences.

On hearing the reverse music of the opening track I thought “Ah Soft Machine” and thereafter heard influences of Floyd’s ‘Atom Hart Mother’; Emerson Lake and Palmer, and of the music of Györgi Ligeti.

Despite having intelligent and thought-provoking lyrics, I very much preferred the purely instrumental tracks here – as I do on all the APP records I have heard. Sounding very much of its time, and being a bit of a curate’s egg to my ears, I’m scoring it with an 8/10 – simply because I enjoyed the trip down memory lane. And because of that I re-listened to ‘The Eye in the Sky’ afterwards and wondered why I got rid of the few APP records I used to own!

Good choice Adrian.

Great review Barry, interesting how we can move on and forget things we previously experienced and enjoyed. I have always kept listening to APP over the years a bit like a comfy slipper for me, I suspect I am a creature of habit. I find Manfred Mannis similar in how I feel when listening to them, although rather more progie. I have tried to find newer artists that do the same for me but none yet, perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.

gninnam
07-12-2019, 08:44
Listened to the album 3 times over the last few days.
Never really listened to anything by the APP before and with the first track I thought it was going to be electronic-ish - but started to drift into typical guitar based songs from the era (Pin Floyd sprung to mind with a few of the tracks)
But, I did enjoy the album, found it easy to listen to and the production seemed to be on the ball.
Would I listen to it again ? I think I would when I am in a 70's music mood
Nice find and many thanks.

Audio Al
07-12-2019, 12:15
I'm confused by this album , Where does Alan Parsons fit in , 3 tracks in and I cant say I have heard Alan singing yet ? Or is Alan producing other artists on the Album , HELP :help:

AJSki2fly
09-12-2019, 12:59
I'm confused by this album , Where does Alan Parsons fit in , 3 tracks in and I cant say I have heard Alan singing yet ? Or is Alan producing other artists on the Album , HELP :help:

I believe Alan Parson's co-writes(Eric Wolfson), engineers and produces it, which is much the same as the other Alan Parsons Project albums, if you have a look at the liner notes LP on discogs you can see who the artists are. I was going to post the image of it but posting is down for maintenance at the moment.

Ian7633
13-12-2019, 18:13
I'm surprised this band passed me by, just never got round to it I guess. I've had a couple of listens now and also listened to a couple of other albums and I really like this stuff. Rather reminded me of 10cc with the depth of sound and high production values. I'm going to find a good, clean copy on vinyl for a proper old school listen. 9/10 from me, excellent choice.

HackneyRF
15-12-2019, 23:10
I'd never listened to The Alan Parsons Project before so a new one to me. I loved the first few tracks. 'I Wouldn't Wanna Be Like You' is a great track. Don't Let It Show' is the only real dud on this record which for me at least sits somewhere between Roy Ayers and Popol Vuh! Really liked it. I'll buy a copy if one comes up 2nd hand on my travels somewhere. Thanks for the suggestion Adrian. 8/10

AJSki2fly
16-12-2019, 10:20
Thanks for all the reviews so far which is 8 I think so we should see another 4 from the signed up participants, but don't let this stop others the more the merrier and you never know you may like it.:christmas:

Discopants
17-12-2019, 17:14
Like a few other earlier posters APP is a new one on me and not my usual musical tipple. Ive “spun” this on Spotify 4 times now and I have to agree that its beautifully produced.

I read this book when l was 18 (30 years ago) and thought it was an excellent novel for its day on the subject matter but l cant remember anything much about it now to be fair. The concept of producing an LP inspired by a book is very novel [emoji12].

I really enjoyed it and I think I will check out some of the other material on the back of it. I’m also scoring this one 8/10.

Thanks, Martin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AJSki2fly
18-12-2019, 10:37
Like a few other earlier posters APP is a new one on me and not my usual musical tipple. Ive “spun” this on Spotify 4 times now and I have to agree that its beautifully produced.

I read this book when l was 18 (30 years ago) and thought it was an excellent novel for its day on the subject matter but l cant remember anything much about it now to be fair. The concept of producing an LP inspired by a book is very novel [emoji12].

I really enjoyed it and I think I will check out some of the other material on the back of it. I’m also scoring this one 8/10.

Thanks, Martin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You may want to try APP- Tales of Mystery and Imagination (Edgar Allan Poe), and another favourite of mine is Stereotomy.

Cheers

Adrian

AJSki2fly
26-12-2019, 11:19
Only a few days left to get your December album club review in, come on chaps its not that hard to do, and you might like it.

Audio Al
26-12-2019, 17:28
Sorry guys im going to pass on this one as I can't see how it's relevent being different artists :scratch:

It's a bit like me posting a greatist hits from all different bands album
or a Top of the Pops album from 1979

Barry
30-12-2019, 23:22
What a curious attitude. Either you like the album or you don't. To pass it by and not comment, because session musicians are used and there is no "Alan Parsons' group" of musicians as such, seems a most peculiar position to take - and somewhat against the spirit of the Album Club.

Audio Al
30-12-2019, 23:33
Barry , if you had saved that comment until 1/1/2020 that would have been your first snide comment of the year :rolleyes:

I have a opinion and I used it , or is that against your judgment , I also have freedom of speech also used .

Hope I have not spelt anything wrong ? as you like humiliating people who have issues with spelling also

Dissapointing as a MOD :doh:

AJSki2fly
31-12-2019, 15:21
Barry , if you had saved that comment until 1/1/2020 that would have been your first snide comment of the year :rolleyes:

I have a opinion and I used it , or is that against your judgment , I also have freedom of speech also used .

Hope I have not spelt anything wrong ? as you like humiliating people who have issues with spelling also

Dissapointing as a MOD :doh:

Shame you didn't give it a go Al, you might have enjoyed it, it is a very well thought after album (and not just by me). Never mind its your choice, you'll never know if you missed a GEM!:eyebrows: