PDA

View Full Version : Keep them soundhifi/herbies mats clean!

The Vinyl Adventure
13-06-2010, 15:48
Someone touched on this in a thread no so long ago but I thought I would point out my experience of the day
whilst doing all the bits and bobs to my tt my soundhifi mat has taken a bit of abuse. It's not been damaged, but it's been taken of and plopped on the sofa a few times and had gathered quite a lot of dust...
I noticed not ao long ago that it wasn't gripping the platter well at all, gave it a little bit of a wipe with a cloth and it was slightly better.
Well this morning prior to what I knew was going to be a fairly lengthy listening sesion this avo (hannah is at work until 9.30) I thought I'd give it a proper wash.
Warm running water was all I used, then placed it to dry on the lid of the turntable.
It is now holding the vinyl to the turntable so tightly I can grab the edge of the vinyl and it completly stops the rotation... Previously even after a wipe down with a cloth it would slip slightly.
I had actually forgotten that these mats were that efective, but when clean they really are!
So my advice, if your not already doing it, is wash that soundhifi mat with warm water once in a while ... It makes it do what it was intended to do!

My turn table now sounds tight as a ducks bum... :)

Steve Toy
13-06-2010, 15:54
Naah Hamish, you should just buy a more expensive turntable with an elastic band on it. :lol:

The Vinyl Adventure
13-06-2010, 16:07
Elastic band... Sorry steve, I don't follow, you mean to tell me there is an alternative to direct drive that are band driven? Sounds a bit daft to me!

Steve Toy
13-06-2010, 16:26
It does but lots of people swear by it and regard anything else as grossly inferior. For DJs not proper hi-fi.

The Vinyl Adventure
13-06-2010, 16:45
Well my turntable would be shit for a dj - the slip mat doesn't slip for one, and they might find them selves getting quite poor quite quickly useing and buying replacment oc9's!

colinB
13-06-2010, 17:54
Well my turntable would be shit for a dj - the slip mat doesn't slip for one, and they might find them selves getting quite poor quite quickly useing and buying replacment oc9's!
:lol: Good one.
Actually ive just given my mat a shower and sure enough, apart from a few limescale spots its come up treat.