PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with new music

Effem
12-06-2010, 16:52
I'm currently up a blind alley with regards to any new musical purchases.

I am currently leaning more and more towards instrumental music and without realising it am shying away from anything with lyrics. No, I don't have any idea why, but I get more pleasure from fast melodic music than listening to banal vocals. I am into Roger Waters at the moment - until he opens his gob.

I have an awful lot of CDs that have ONE decent track and yearn for some music I can listen to end to end without resorting to the skip track button!

I was going to say I have a penchant for electronica, but, there is so much out there that is repetitive drivel with no composer or performer skills involved. Jazz funk I like, provided it is performed well of course.

I have tried asking folks a few times what floats there boat, but that may not necessarily float mine. A good example is Sphongle which was raved about by a mate, but after a couple of plays it has been in the rack ever since.

Some good ideas please :)

Rare Bird
12-06-2010, 17:23
Hi Frank
Well this is the place to watch, watch carefully tho cos some members play some right old ''Bull poo'' (Dave R tought me that wurd) :lolsign:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10&page=501

Covenant
12-06-2010, 17:29
Porcupine Tree

Beechwoods
13-06-2010, 08:23
Ozric Tentacles

UVZxpoq166Q 3Kxr3N2ht6Q

Check out Steve Reich's stuff as well:

JW4_8KjmzZk -miz7cmsKyw

The Vinyl Adventure
13-06-2010, 14:53
Get spotify, type in stuff you like then click related artists... I'm listening to a cd I bought based on doing that right now!

Effem
13-06-2010, 15:08
Ozric Tentacles is a good call, I have one of their albums and I really enjoy it.

Will check out spotify

DSJR
13-06-2010, 15:13
With many Ozric albums, if you have one, you have 'em all (a bit like modern TeeDee IMO), but the snippets of the later ones I've heard have progressed a bit I think.

System 7's "Mirror System" CD is very pleasant and can be played regularly I found.

Spotify, as Hamish suggested, is the place I reckon... saves you buying loads of bull-poo :D

The Vinyl Adventure
13-06-2010, 16:16
Napster has an even better related artist feature in fact... It's just a bi shit otherwise...
The other way is to search on hmv or amazon or whatever and look at the "people who bought that also bought this" section but that can be highly hit and miss ime

The Vinyl Adventure
13-06-2010, 16:18
Oh, and buy Four Tet 'rounds' ... I know I'm always banging on about it... But I bloody love it and I think everyone should own a copy!

John
13-06-2010, 16:44
Also worth doing the same with Last FM

The Vinyl Adventure
13-06-2010, 16:46
Yeah, and I find shazzam on my phone really good for those times you hear a song in a shop or on tv you like the sound of but don't know what it is!

Beechwoods
13-06-2010, 17:13
Oh, and buy Four Tet 'rounds' ... I know I'm always banging on about it... But I bloody love it and I think everyone should own a copy!

I got mine when it came out -- great album, I have to agree :)

His stuff as 'Fridge' is a bit more post-rock but also worth checking out.

Alex_UK
13-06-2010, 21:11
Not sure when you say "new music" if you mean that literally, or if you mean new to you? Well, here's an album to try on Spotify that scores on both (Minimal lyrics, mainly instrumental, so fits that bill, but may not be your thing) - let me know if you like it, and I'll manually scrobble you from there! :)

spotify:album:412m7Fq2zFtCB9uwNNxNM0

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61GCYvrChQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Alex_UK
24-06-2010, 14:36

Sorry for the off topic meander - this arrived today, thanks for the tip, Hamish. Loving the huge soundstage on track 6 (Unspoken) - it's MASSIVE - how do they do that?

How are you getting on Frank, with some of the suggestions/Spotify?

magiccarpetride
24-06-2010, 19:43
I'm currently up a blind alley with regards to any new musical purchases.

I am currently leaning more and more towards instrumental music and without realising it am shying away from anything with lyrics. No, I don't have any idea why, but I get more pleasure from fast melodic music than listening to banal vocals. I am into Roger Waters at the moment - until he opens his gob.

I have an awful lot of CDs that have ONE decent track and yearn for some music I can listen to end to end without resorting to the skip track button!

I was going to say I have a penchant for electronica, but, there is so much out there that is repetitive drivel with no composer or performer skills involved. Jazz funk I like, provided it is performed well of course.

I have tried asking folks a few times what floats there boat, but that may not necessarily float mine. A good example is Sphongle which was raved about by a mate, but after a couple of plays it has been in the rack ever since.

Some good ideas please :)

Boards of Canada? Not new, but good.