PDA

View Full Version : Quad 63s or 2805s?

awkwardbydesign
13-11-2019, 15:41
I have been looking for a pair of 2805s, as my posts in the classifieds will show, and when a pair came up, with the seller claiming they were recently serviced by One Thing Audio, I rang them to check. And yes, it seems they were.

But, OTA aren't thrilled by them, and suggested a pair of 63s, serviced and improved by them, would be better. Electronics on 3 boards, not one, easier and cheaper to service, the same panels and electronics as the 2805s, etc. As I have to let the seller of the 2805s know by Friday whether I am going to buy them next week (I will delivering my Troels to Croydon on Tuesday), I need advice pretty sharpish.

Life is so complicated. :)

My current power amp is a Parasound Halo A21 (250w+ into 8 ohms) and the room is 5.2m x 4.3m, 2.3m ceiling. I can make almost any type of stand/bracing needed.
I am asking this question everywhere I can, as time is so short.

Firebottle
13-11-2019, 15:58
Third world problems eh?

I would be tempted to go with the more modern 2805, though I haven't heard either sufficiently long to choose.. How old are the 2805's?
Having a recent service can only be a good thing?

hifi_dave
13-11-2019, 16:26
Never been a fan of the 63s and would opt for the more exciting and modern sound of the 2805.

montesquieu
13-11-2019, 16:41
For me I'd have the later ones, panels may be the same but the frames will be better and the electronics far newer.

Speccy4eyes
13-11-2019, 19:12
Had both , no contest 2805’s.

anubisgrau
13-11-2019, 19:35
Is it already a time for 2805 service or they were fried?

awkwardbydesign
13-11-2019, 21:48
Is it already a time for 2805 service or they were fried?
Don't know, but either way if they have been seen to by OTA, they should be good to go. I think they were made from 2008 to 2012, so a service after 10 years is not unreasonable, no?

Mike Reed
14-11-2019, 12:20
I'd also be inclined to the 2805s; I have 2905s and my friend has the 2812s, which I thought were amazing. As the 2812s are almost identical, and the 63s were a more modern update on the 57s and now electronically dated, I think this is a no-brainer, except that One Thing's treatment of 57s are not universally liked, but if just a service on the 2805s, then fine.

awkwardbydesign
14-11-2019, 13:00
Thanks for the input. I think the 57s were a completely different configuration from the 63s. OTA said the 2805s were an updated 63, and they could bring the 63s up to 2805 performance. But I needed some independent views. So unless anyone can give a detailed comparison of 2805s and OTA 63s, I think I will go for the 2805s.

wee tee cee
14-11-2019, 18:13
I have 57s and 63s both benefit from being raised about 18 inches off the floor.

I found the 63s a bit fragile....dont leave a teenager at home with 300w monoblocks attached and a penchant for radiohead at krackatonian levels!!!!

I would go for the 2805s in a heart beat....

hornucopia
14-11-2019, 22:48
Just for reassurance
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/quad-esl-2805-loudspeaker/
which I'm sure you've already seen.
You lucky man; i had 57s for a while before i got my Klipschorns, in 1980, and still recall how great they sounded.

awkwardbydesign
15-11-2019, 15:16
I've bought the pair on ebay. When he responds, anyway. I'll be picking them up on Tuesday; the packing and strapping in the back of my MPV will be fun!

awkwardbydesign
20-11-2019, 13:00
I took my big Troels speakers to the buyer in Croydon, set them up for him, picked up the 2805s and drove back to Plymouth! My son came down from Manchester and helped me, otherwise I would have been stuck.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49094866332_fd87f4dffd_c.jpg

struth
20-11-2019, 13:17
i do like the rich, yea olde colours and style of the room. it reminds me of better times.. must be nice place to sit

Firebottle
20-11-2019, 13:20
Give them a little more space to breath behind.

awkwardbydesign
21-11-2019, 10:29
One of them is faulty. The dustcover membrane on the front of one is torn, and its top mounting strip is loose. I played some music with a double bass and it started farting! Only double bass, not drums, or even some electronic dance music, just double bass. Of course I didn't play any of that when I listened to them at the vendor's house, so it didn't show up. Now there will be the fun of trying to sort it, probably myself, as it is a long way to Quad or OTA.
I have found out how to remove the covers, at least, but the screws have been butchered, and on the back of one, four out of five are missing, plus there are three types of screw used. The vendor claimed these had recently been serviced by OTA!

Opti-cal
21-11-2019, 10:50
Hi Richard,

I'm sorry to hear about your woes. I have recently had a similar experience with my purchase of some 63's. (Although not the sellers fault at all in my case I suspect). Listened to them at the sellers house and they were fine. He was a lovely guy who could not have been more courteous and even if the problem was already with the speakers he did not know about it. Got them home, farting from a bass panel on low bass notes.

As mentioned, my situation differs from yours in that it sounds like yours had issues before you bought them judging from the missing screws etc (I don't think OTA would leave them like that).

Is it the actual panel that is torn or just the dust cover/membrane working loose? I believe it is the latter in mine and is apparently not the most difficult fix in the world. (This info from my seller who has actually very kindly offered to help me sort them when we have the time). It basically involves removing the socks and gently heating the dust cover until it re-seats itself (or something similar to that explanation).

The diagnosis of it being the dust membrane rather than the panel/diaphragm is only from what I've read, it sounds like an audible buzz/fart from a specific area near where the bass meets the treble panel.

Even though I've owned quite a few I've never actually been inside a pair of Quads, I might be biting the bullet soon though.

As I've mentioned before though, unfortunately this is one major caveat of ownership as they are delicate. However when properly setup, working and looked after they can run problem free for years even decades.

They are worth getting right.

Of course there is always OTA and Quad repair route to go but as I know for-well this is galling having just spent money for what you assumed were a fully working serviced pair.

Best of luck.

Chris

scotty38
21-11-2019, 11:37
I thought you said OTA had confirmed they had serviced the 2805s?

Firebottle
21-11-2019, 12:43
One of them is faulty. The dustcover membrane on the front of one is torn, ...

The dust cover membrane can be repaired with tape. Magic tape is best as it doesn't harden or yellow with age.

Opti-cal
21-11-2019, 13:02
The dust cover membrane can be repaired with tape. Magic tape is best as it doesn't harden or yellow with age.

Can you come and do mine Alan?? . . . . :wah:

Lawrence001
21-11-2019, 17:27
One of them is faulty. The dustcover membrane on the front of one is torn, and its top mounting strip is loose. I played some music with a double bass and it started farting! Only double bass, not drums, or even some electronic dance music, just double bass. Of course I didn't play any of that when I listened to them at the vendor's house, so it didn't show up. Now there will be the fun of trying to sort it, probably myself, as it is a long way to Quad or OTA.
I have found out how to remove the covers, at least, but the screws have been butchered, and on the back of one, four out of five are missing, plus there are three types of screw used. The vendor claimed these had recently been serviced by OTA!

Have you contacted the seller via eBay messaging? If he has any decency he will get this sorted for you. If you paid by PayPal he'll have no choice.

awkwardbydesign
21-11-2019, 19:35
i do like the rich, yea olde colours and style of the room. it reminds me of better times.. must be nice place to sit

The hall is even more olde.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49096388477_a4185f519b_c.jpg

struth
21-11-2019, 19:42
Very nice. I like those styles and colours in right house

awkwardbydesign
21-11-2019, 19:44
Hi Richard,

I'm sorry to hear about your woes. I have recently had a similar experience with my purchase of some 63's. (Although not the sellers fault at all in my case I suspect). Listened to them at the sellers house and they were fine. He was a lovely guy who could not have been more courteous and even if the problem was already with the speakers he did not know about it. Got them home, farting from a bass panel on low bass notes.

As mentioned, my situation differs from yours in that it sounds like yours had issues before you bought them judging from the missing screws etc (I don't think OTA would leave them like that).

Is it the actual panel that is torn or just the dust cover/membrane working loose? I believe it is the latter in mine and is apparently not the most difficult fix in the world. (This info from my seller who has actually very kindly offered to help me sort them when we have the time). It basically involves removing the socks and gently heating the dust cover until it re-seats itself (or something similar to that explanation).

The diagnosis of it being the dust membrane rather than the panel/diaphragm is only from what I've read, it sounds like an audible buzz/fart from a specific area near where the bass meets the treble panel.

Even though I've owned quite a few I've never actually been inside a pair of Quads, I might be biting the bullet soon though.

As I've mentioned before though, unfortunately this is one major caveat of ownership as they are delicate. However when properly setup, working and looked after they can run problem free for years even decades.

They are worth getting right.

Of course there is always OTA and Quad repair route to go but as I know for-well this is galling having just spent money for what you assumed were a fully working serviced pair.

Best of luck.

Chris

I've had them apart (not hard, but getting the side strips back on can be, they are very tight) and replacing the dust cover should be easy enough. I think it is too stretched to re-use, and the top fixing strip isn't seated. I need to test it without the damaged dust cover to tell if that is the only fault. OTA say they did service these two months ago, and replaced the bass panels, but are both of these speakers the same ones? I've written to the seller, and I'll see what he says.

awkwardbydesign
22-11-2019, 09:30
Have you contacted the seller via eBay messaging? If he has any decency he will get this sorted for you. If you paid by PayPal he'll have no choice.

I paid by bank transfer, which is reasonable, as ebay won't protect the seller unless the item is delivered by courier to the buyer's registered address. I did contact him, with details and photos, and he said they worked fine at his house. But I have now put the info into ebay's system for further action if needed. If it's just the dust cover I won't bother, but if it's expensive I will. First thing is to refix the mounting strip and then use a hairdryer to tighten the membrane. If that works, it's job done.

mikeyb
22-11-2019, 12:10
If it's been serviced and they've left screws out that's a pretty poor job, can't believe they don't keep a note of serial numbers either, sloppy. How the heck do they know it's one they've worked on if it has to go back to them if a fault is found after a service ?

My thoughts are that perhaps there been a swap somewhere, but then again I trust no one.

awkwardbydesign
22-11-2019, 13:32
I did ask the seller if he had two pairs, and could there have been an inadvertent swap. He said no, only one pair which came back from OTA and were then put on sale. To be honest, I would doubt a swap occurred*, or even that he fiddled with them. So it would seem that OTA are responsible. I have messaged him again, as I suspect he thinks I am trying to scam him, but I said if it is a reasonably cheap fix, ie. dust cover repair or replacement, I am happy to do that myself. But if it is masking deeper problems I will be back! All this is via ebay, so I have it all on record just in case. At the moment I am still waiting for Quad to reply to my email about a new dust cover.
And my wife says she likes the look of them, now she has had a couple of days to get used to them.
* Consecutive serial numbers.

Lawrence001
22-11-2019, 13:41
Something doesn't feel quite right here as I thought OTA were highly respected. Hard to say what the truth is though with the information you have.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Mike Reed
22-11-2019, 15:44
Strange situation, but surely ANY company servicing goods must keep a record. Besides, where's the invoice and service doc's. One doesn't have this kind of work done and not keep the paperwork, esp. if there's a chance of selling them on. Baffling!

JohnG
22-11-2019, 16:11
I have had many conversations with OTA about refurbished 57 models.
If they have carried out works and not supplied the parts only, they can offer valuable info on the works carried out.
There are many private jobs on the market with OTA parts referring to the items as OTA rebuilds.
A play of words to 'Caveat Empor'

awkwardbydesign
22-11-2019, 19:13
I have had many conversations with OTA about refurbished 57 models.
If they have carried out works and not supplied the parts only, they can offer valuable info on the works carried out.
There are many private jobs on the market with OTA parts referring to the items as OTA rebuilds.

The seller advertised them as serviced by OTA. I phoned OTA and they confirmed they had done so, replacing bass panels on both speakers. They were dropped off and picked up (by the seller, I presume).

Mike Reed
22-11-2019, 21:19

Think you missed the 't' out.:)

Richard, wasn't there any paperwork? I also wonder why the seller chose One Thing rather than Quad. One thing's reputation is from souping up 57s, and even that has been open to controversy on sonic grounds; possibly be purists? I wouldn't consider One Thing for my 2905s; I'd return to the manufacturer, as I would for any of my kit, if feasible.

Lawrence001
23-11-2019, 13:41
And without serial numbers how would they be able to confirm they serviced this pair, by his address? In the hyper data protection world we live in I'd be surprised if they would be willing to confirm such a thing, although maybe they don't have such a concern about this as bigger outfits.

awkwardbydesign
23-11-2019, 14:35
And without serial numbers how would they be able to confirm they serviced this pair, by his address? In the hyper data protection world we live in I'd be surprised if they would be willing to confirm such a thing, although maybe they don't have such a concern about this as bigger outfits.

I rang them, gave the sellers name, and they confirmed that they had been serviced, plus bass panels replaced, on 6th September.
I have just messaged the seller again (through ebay) and asked for a copy of the service report, as I forgot at the time, and would need it if I have to deal directly with OTA. Also I would need it if I ever decided to sell them.
This is what I said.

Hello again *****,
I have just realised I forgot to ask for a copy of the service report from One Thing Audio. I'm not used to buying such expensive items, so it slipped my mind. Could you send me a copy please? As it looks likely I may have to deal directly with them over the loose dust cover I will need it. Also if I ever decide to sell them there will be a record of the work they have done.
Regards,
Richard

awkwardbydesign
26-11-2019, 16:29
The seller said there was no paperwork. I have since removed front and back dust covers, and discovered it is the lower bass panel that is buzzing. Shining a torch upwards at that spot shows a wrinkled diaphragm. The seller says he is awaiting a reply from OTA. Tomorrow, if there is no news, I will ring them myself.
BTW, asking folk on diyAudio has elicited a mine of info. and help. It seems half the world is experienced in repairing and rebuilding these things!

jandl100
29-11-2019, 07:02
I'm folowing this tale of woe with sadness and concern.
It's horrible when things go wrong like this.
Good luck getting it sorted, Richard. :thumbsup:

awkwardbydesign
29-11-2019, 12:45
Thanks Jerry. I have just spoken to Steve at One Thing Audio, and their work is under warranty, so I just have to remove the bass panel and send it to them. It will be a priority job, so i would hope to have it back in about a week. Watch this space!

antonio
29-11-2019, 16:16
Good luck with that, hope the repair is done quickly

awkwardbydesign
02-12-2019, 09:44
Bass panel out, and ready to post. It looks sad with two panels out! :(

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49156446503_911065be26_c.jpg

jandl100
02-12-2019, 11:17
Yes, kind of desolate. :(

Mike Reed
02-12-2019, 17:43
Sad is an understatement; I wouldn't have recognised them !:scratch:

awkwardbydesign
02-12-2019, 17:50
I just spoke to Steve at OTA. Apparently they are the same panels as the 63s, and he says the electronics are the same too, just squeezed onto one board instead of three.
Once they are working I will look at changing the grille cloths, and maybe a ripole subwoofer.

awkwardbydesign
14-12-2019, 14:50
Fixed now, even the loose dust cover is fitting since I squeezed the side rails enough to grip. Hopefully that is the end of it.

jandl100
14-12-2019, 16:18
:thumbsup: