PDA

View Full Version : Potential GL75 Lenco plinth build

John
10-06-2010, 19:41
I am really missing vinyl serious withdraws symptons
I was thinking of getting a GL75 and then getting a plinth built
Something like this http://homepage.ntlworld.com/maddogmcq/myart/lencoheaven/tommcq01.htm
Not sure what material to use Buthcher block layers of birch ply or slate
Would upgrade the bearing
Use the Terminator arm with 103 cartridge and bronze headshell
Or could just be paitent I still plan to get a Salvation when I can afford

DSJR
10-06-2010, 21:12
In some ways, I'd get a GL75, restore the existing tonearm and continue to use it (it's snobbery that slates it often enough, it's not that bad). As seen in the pic, the Decca International arm looks like a drop fit in the arm-hole and you can continue to use the cueing device and arm rest as well.... the Decca arm will take modern mm's (and "Podded" Decca's too).

Beechwoods
10-06-2010, 22:05
Remember this chap, John. His work looks gorgeous.

http://www.layers-of-beauty.co.uk/page7.php

John
11-06-2010, 04:48
Dave
The Terminator is a Fantastic arm ot totally desatroyed my old SME4 silver wired and James from Whest said it was better than the Graham Phamton when he heard it on my TT I was using a ZXY at the time so should not had been synergy issues
Agree slate works well on the lenco
Nick yes some amazing work thanks for the link

Clive
11-06-2010, 07:50
John,

Why not do a Lenco on the cheap now, don't go for an expensive plinth, just an effective one. Then save up for the Salvation. You'll be able to sell the Lenco without loss when you get the Salvation.

ReggieB
11-06-2010, 09:54
I too fancy a DIY project based on a Lenco. Being a lapsed geologist, I'd like to use a stone plinth. I notice slate is often quoted as good material for a TT plinth. What are other rock types like? Granite or Marble for example?

Clive
11-06-2010, 10:11
I too fancy a DIY project based on a Lenco. Being a lapsed geologist, I'd like to use a stone plinth. I notice slate is often quoted as good material for a TT plinth. What are other rock types like? Granite or Marble for example?
Marble seems to be quite zingy, possibly reflecting vibrations. Slate is said to be good due to it's structure being similar to what people try to achieve with Constrained Layer Damping (CLD). Slate seems the best in terms of these sorts of materials.

Clive
11-06-2010, 11:57
John,

Another comment re your dilemma, as you know I have a Salvation sitting next to my 301. The 301 is a great deck and an appreciating asset but it's the Salvation that I use. A Lenco doesn't sound the same as a 301 but they are in the same ballpark with some differences. The Salvation is even better now than when you originally heard it. When you were working on your speakers you probably didn't you didn't get a chance for another listen to Vic's deck. Did you at least see it? Did it have the latest platter installed? I think this is the final development, the gestation period should now be reaching the end.

DSJR
11-06-2010, 12:11
I don't doubt the terminator arms at all, but with a GL75??????

I wasn't trying to compare the L75 arm with a Terminator, but as the deck comes first, my thinking was to aim as high on this as possible. The Lenco motor unit is excellent on pith & timing, but there is midrange "noise" caused by the idler and I don't think any mounting will get rid of it (bass rumbles certainly, but not noise transmitted directly into the platter and out of phase with the music (cancels out in Mono...).

Clive
11-06-2010, 12:20
I don't doubt the terminator arms at all, but with a GL75??????

I wasn't trying to compare the L75 arm with a Terminator, but as the deck comes first, my thinking was to aim as high on this as possible. The Lenco motor unit is excellent on pith & timing, but there is midrange "noise" caused by the idler and I don't think any mounting will get rid of it (bass rumbles certainly, but not noise transmitted directly into the platter and out of phase with the music (cancels out in Mono...).
I suspect John wants to use a Terminator as he's had one before and seems to be hankering after one again.

There are plenty of Lencos around with Terminators installed, you can see a couple here: http://www.trans-fi.com/clientscorner.htm
Also Lenco Heaven has threads where the Terminator is discussed in glowing terms. Actually I was thinking less about the arm and more about the deck, Lenco vs Salvation.

Have you done your modded X10D write up yet? Any lumberjack jokes? (you may remember my comment about the logging saw...)

DSJR
11-06-2010, 13:36
I'll finish me lunch guv and then get typing :lol:

John
11-06-2010, 16:23
John,

Why not do a Lenco on the cheap now, don't go for an expensive plinth, just an effective one. Then save up for the Salvation. You'll be able to sell the Lenco without loss when you get the Salvation.
Yes good idea The Salvation is just in another league

John
11-06-2010, 16:36
John,

Another comment re your dilemma, as you know I have a Salvation sitting next to my 301. The 301 is a great deck and an appreciating asset but it's the Salvation that I use. A Lenco doesn't sound the same as a 301 but they are in the same ballpark with some differences. The Salvation is even better now than when you originally heard it. When you were working on your speakers you probably didn't you didn't get a chance for another listen to Vic's deck. Did you at least see it? Did it have the latest platter installed? I think this is the final development, the gestation period should now be reaching the end.

I have not heard with the new platter but totally agree about the Salvation its in a total different ball park to my ears best TT I heard regardless of price
I never heard the Salvation on my system just Vic system but he did compare to the Verus drive and I thought at the time it just had a tiny bit more resolution I know the new platter makes a difference and he done some motor mods too so can only imagine what it sounds like now
In some ways I think I should be paitent but going through a missing vinyl stage

John
11-06-2010, 16:39

Its about how inert its going to be a simple test is tap with a spanner and see if it rings ..........less is more

John
11-06-2010, 16:42
Dave I plan to get a Salvation with a Terminator arm anyway
I heard a few of Vic Lenco and not much wrong to my ears around the mid
Clive: As for Lenco vs Salvation none of Vics Lenco's get close to my ears but not heard Jean reference Lenco

Clive
11-06-2010, 16:51
Clive: As for Lenco vs Salvation none of Vics Lenco's get close to my ears but not heard Jean reference Lenco
My 301 doesn't get close either....especially at the frequency extremes, detail, ambiance, background noise, drive & dynamics, imaging. Someone said to me recently, this is what they promised CD would be like and for the first time I've heard what they promised.....via vinyl!

John
11-06-2010, 16:54
Yes love the way music explodes from the speakers its such an addiictive sound

John
11-06-2010, 16:55
Ahhh dammn it I just wait I never going to be happy unless I get Vic new deck so will have to wait

Rare Bird
11-06-2010, 17:05
In some ways, I'd get a GL75, restore the existing tonearm and continue to use it (it's snobbery that slates it often enough, it's not that bad). As seen in the pic, the Decca International arm looks like a drop fit in the arm-hole and you can continue to use the cueing device and arm rest as well.... the Decca arm will take modern mm's (and "Podded" Decca's too).

The arm is not that bad your right but the bloody headshell is

Barry
11-06-2010, 19:39

Is anyone interested in an unused Decca London International pick-up arm? It is mint and has only been taken out of the box once. Complete with original packaging, damping fluid, installation and operational instructions and alignment protractor.

Regards