PDA

View Full Version : Bakeoff in SE Cornwall, mid January 2020

nonuffin
01-11-2019, 23:12
I have got permission to use my local community centre for a bakeoff :eyebrows:

Hoping to hold it on a Saturday in mid January.

Please register your interest to attend.

Radford Revival
01-11-2019, 23:45
Hmm could be fun!

Hypnotist
04-11-2019, 21:44
couple of us could be interested, where is the location St Austell area ?

awkwardbydesign
04-11-2019, 23:25
I'm in.

Audio Al
05-11-2019, 03:47
Does make me chuckle slightly
Secret squirrel stuff , Location Cornwall well that narrows it down ?
No location in profile

:eek: they may be able to track me down if i include a town name :eek: :lol::D

AJSki2fly
05-11-2019, 06:50
Is this buns, cakes or pies, I don't do French stuff?

jandl100
05-11-2019, 07:32
No location in profile

I see another possible attendee is in the "South West of England".
Hmm, that seems a bit definite to me.
I must change my location to The Milky Way Galaxy. :lol:

Good luck with the bake off. :thumbsup:

walpurgis
05-11-2019, 08:21
No location in profile

Somewhere between Lands End and Plymouth I reckon. :)

nonuffin
05-11-2019, 08:46
Sorry chaps the location is sunny Callington in south east Cornwall (As it says in the title). If you had read my other recent thread post it did mention the location :ner:

nonuffin
05-11-2019, 08:49
Is this buns, cakes or pies, I don't do French stuff?

We don't do that foreign muck here. Goodness me, there would even be a revolt if the cream went on the scone before the jam :eek:

nonuffin
05-11-2019, 08:56
Somewhere between Lands End and Plymouth I reckon. :)

Lands End aint in SE Cornwall is it ya wilbur? Dunce cap, corner of room for you my lad :ner:

AJSki2fly
05-11-2019, 09:44
We don't do that foreign muck here. Goodness me, there would even be a revolt if the cream went on the scone before the jam :eek:

Well you won't want a Devon interloper attending then, sounds like you would be expelling me.:eyebrows:

nonuffin
05-11-2019, 09:46
Well you won't want a Devon interloper attending then, sounds like you would be expelling me.:eyebrows:

You won't be the only one Adrian, as Akwardbydesign (Dick) says he is coming so the Devon massif is very welcome :)

We have a Seaton here in Cornwall, so nobody will question that anyway.

Just be careful when doing your scone dressing :lol:

walpurgis
05-11-2019, 09:52
Well I don't eat scones or pasties, but I do spend time in Cornwall, so there's a possibility I may be around in the new year. An hour or two away down near Helston though.

awkwardbydesign
05-11-2019, 10:37
You won't be the only one Adrian, as Akwardbydesign (Dick) says he is coming so the Devon massif is very welcome :)

I may even be the closest, in Plymouth.

AJSki2fly
05-11-2019, 12:22

Looking at the map its about 75 mile not too far, do you know what day of the week?

Not sure what gear I would bring, lugging the Tannoys about requires a very large car or van and two people. Maybe amp, phono stage and SUT.

PS I am definitely not getting dressed up as a scone, Devon or Cornish.

nonuffin
05-11-2019, 15:46
Looking at the map its about 75 mile not too far, do you know what day of the week?

Not sure what gear I would bring, lugging the Tannoys about requires a very large car or van and two people. Maybe amp, phono stage and SUT.

PS I am definitely not getting dressed up as a scone, Devon or Cornish.

It will be either the 18th or the 25th January (both are Saturdays), depending upon people being able to attend either dates.

Bring whatever you like Adrian, but bear in mind I don't have a turntable at the moment, so keep an eye on whatever others are bringing along.

Audio Al
05-11-2019, 15:57
It will be either the 18th or the 25th January (both are Saturdays), depending upon people being able to attend either dates.

Bring whatever you like Adrian, but bear in mind I don't have a turntable at the moment, so keep an eye on whatever others are bringing along.

WHAT !.....:eek::D

awkwardbydesign
05-11-2019, 16:58

I should be OK either day.

AJSki2fly
05-11-2019, 17:45

WHAT no TT, I presume you traded it in for yet another pair of squeekers:lol: I'm not too keen lugging an expensive TT around with expensive cartridge, a bit too easy to get damaged, shame I don't still have the Project Xperience II.

Mmm hopefully someone will bring one along, I don't suppose there is any WIFI their, I could then bring the RPI/Hifiberry and Caiman SEG, otherwise if could be CD's.

paul(555)
05-11-2019, 19:51
I’d be keen to join in and both dates are OK at the moment. Happy to bring some kit if there is anything you’d like to hear from my list.

nonuffin
05-11-2019, 21:19
I’d be keen to join in and both dates are OK at the moment. Happy to bring some kit if there is anything you’d like to hear from my list.

Looking at your kit list Paul, the VRDS10 and turntable would be perfect to bring along. The TT should keep Adrian from moaning there isn't one available :lol:

AJSki2fly
05-11-2019, 21:34
Looking at your kit list Paul, the VRDS10 and turntable would be perfect to bring along. The TT should keep Adrian from moaning there isn't one available :lol:

I don’t mind what we use for input as long as its not a mobile phone playing some low-fi MP3 or any other lossy crap, and remember I am imbedded with technology. I just think a TT with a good needle and a nice black disc has a certain je ne sais quoi, oops I gone all Francois. :eek::rolleyes:

nonuffin
05-11-2019, 22:26
I don’t mind what we use for input as long as its not a mobile phone playing some low-fi MP3 or any other lossy crap, and remember I am imbedded with technology. I just think a TT with a good needle and a nice black disc has a certain je ne sais quoi, oops I gone all Francois. :eek::rolleyes:

The Devon part I can live with, but not that kind of foul language :lol:

paul(555)
05-11-2019, 22:45
No probs bringing the VRDS10 but as it’s missing its internal DAC I can bring a couple to play with.
I’ll have to think a bit harder about the TT, it hasn’t moved for ten years or so and is surprisingly heavy.

awkwardbydesign
05-11-2019, 23:41
I'd bring my speakers, but they weigh 100kg! There's a Benchmark DAC3 HGC, a #26 DHT pre, a Concordant valve pre, a couple of little valve power amps (Ming Da MC84-C and a 6 watt SET thingy) and if you really want, a pair of Heybrook HB3-2s. And a portable USB hard drive with nearly 1TB of music on it.

nonuffin
06-11-2019, 09:07
My system is in complete upheaval at the moment as I have sold my Rotel pre and using an FX Audio valve one right now, have bought a Yamaha integrated and another one from France but the seller isn't being very communicative. so that might go tits up worse luck. I have my Vincent CD player up for sale and so is my Lyngdorf power amp, so their replacements are an unknown right now. I want a really good CD player next.

My lovely Quadral speakers are going nowhere :)

Radford Revival
11-11-2019, 15:43
Well I hope people are interested in very big and and very linear valve amps because that is what I have! :D

nonuffin
11-11-2019, 15:52
No probs bringing the VRDS10 but as it’s missing its internal DAC I can bring a couple to play with.
I’ll have to think a bit harder about the TT, it hasn’t moved for ten years or so and is surprisingly heavy.

As part of the swap around process I have bought a DAC which is long overdue. Prompted by the lousy review that What Hifi gave the player I have just bought so an external DAC might be in order.

My seller in France has been in hospital so the amp is on it's way now :yay:

nonuffin
11-11-2019, 15:54
Well I hope people are interested in very big and and very linear valve amps because that is what I have! :D

I for one am very keen for a listen. Heard a Radford pair at a bakeoff some years ago and was very impressed.

paul(555)
11-11-2019, 19:17

That sounds delightful!

nonuffin
14-11-2019, 17:14
Apparently the 25th January is Burns Night, so I have decided to go with the 18th so there is no clash.

I am not a very happy bunny at the moment as my replacement system is not living up to expectations. I bought an Exposure CD player and neither of the digital outputs is working :( Salt into the wounds as I bought a Shanling DAC 50 specifically to run off it :steam: Just arrived is the Cairn integrated amp I also bought that has a wonky volume control for good measure :steam::steam::steam:

Knitting is an attractive hobby at the moment :lol:

Hypnotist
15-11-2019, 09:05
I know the feeling, nothing worse than a demo on a new item and its faulty, I have to walk away sharpish the red mist comes down lol

nonuffin
15-11-2019, 10:15
I agree, there is nothing worse than getting new kit and it's faulty.

Exposure are not being all that helpful either, although at least they are communicating with me on a low level. They asked me if a jumper link on the PCB was in place and I said yes, to which they replied am I sure that both pins are contacted and not just one :scratch: :confused: I dislike being treated like an idiot :steam:

They only provide one email answer per day it seems so it could be a long road ahead.

nonuffin
28-12-2019, 20:25
Right then, Saturday the 18th January is now confirmed and only 3 weeks away, so let's get moving on this.

Looking for a 10.00am start and it finishes when it does.

Tea and coffee will be available and some nibbles too. I might cook up a pot of bolly for lunch and summat for the vegetabelists if any are coming.

Please put your name down if you are attending and note any dietary requirements you may have.

Radford Revival
29-12-2019, 21:10
Sounds good, have some interesting bits and pieces to bring.

paul(555)
31-12-2019, 16:38
Confirm I’m planning to be there.

AJSki2fly
01-01-2020, 15:54
Hi Dom,

If I am OK then I intend to come along. Is anyone taking a TT? I could bring my LFD MMC(set to MM) which is hooked up to Rothwell MCX SUT for MC use and they sound rather good together.

By the way where/what is the venue?

Cheers

Adrian

nonuffin
01-01-2020, 17:53
Hi Dom,

If I am OK then I intend to come along. Is anyone taking a TT? I could bring my LFD MMC(set to MM) which is hooked up to Rothwell MCX SUT for MC use and they sound rather good together.

By the way where/what is the venue?

Cheers

Adrian

The venue is in Harrowbarrow near Callington. The venue itself is our local community centre with two rooms we can use, one of which is a bar that serves no booze so bring your own if you wish to get your nose wet :)

Full directions how to get here will be sent out a week before the date.

nonuffin
12-01-2020, 21:16
Directions have been sent out to all those who have said they will attend.

Still some room for a few more :)

nonuffin
18-01-2020, 23:07
Well with only 3 of us attending the bakeoff it went surprisingly well I think, so a BIG thank you to Paul and Will for a great music session and a big fat raspberry to those who said they wanted a meet up and couldn't be arsed to attend despite initiating the need for the event to happen :ner:

Had to go out to friends this evening so will do the full report tomorrow.

p147
19-01-2020, 10:48
Well with only 3 of us attending the bakeoff it went surprisingly well I think, so a BIG thank you to Paul and Will for a great music session and a big fat raspberry to those who said they wanted a meet up and couldn't be arsed to attend despite initiating the need for the event to happen :ner:

That's a real shame, but look forward to your write up and pics.

Radford Revival
19-01-2020, 14:01
Many thanks for a nice afternoon out, had a nice time :) Gave the STA100 its first actual workout, was the first time I'd actually listened to the thing since its been done!

Should be a nice little meeting point for future bakeoffs for those interested too, the room seemed to have pretty good acoustics as well, those Quadral speakers seemed to fill a surprisingly large space despite their form factor.

Radford Revival
19-01-2020, 14:05
Ps these were the wire strippers Paul ;)

Everyone needs a set of these:

https://www.rapidonline.com/weicon-51000005-professional-wire-stripper-no-5-86-0320

struth
19-01-2020, 14:10
used to have a set very similar to these years ago.. got nicked lol

nonuffin
19-01-2020, 14:15
I think that people who have never hosted or even attended a bakeoff may have a misguided notion that it is a giant willy waving fest with endless comparisons designed to humble or embarass anyone who hasn't spent many thousands on shiny boxes with famous badges on. Not so, in fact the best sounding gear at the bakeoffs I have been to have been items that fall way under the mainstream radar and have probably never even been reviewed, usually bunged into a heap of tangled wires for good measure and many having their origins in late night soldering projects in a loft or shed. I take my hat off to these DIY pioneers.

And so to yesterday's small gathering which didn't begin too well, with Paul's beautiful TEAC VRDS player having a major sulk. It would load the CD, spin the disc and read the TOC so the laser was working, but no play beyond that and what a massive shame. I took along my AVI player and my Marantz CD63 as a back up so at least we weren't going to be short of sources. I took my Shanling DAC 50 and Paul brought 2 DACs so my Shanling sat on a table the entire time. I wanted at some point to see whether the Shanling DAC was worth keeping given the quality of the AVI internal DAC so that will be on the to do list for a while.

My Quadrals were the only speakers there and although I thought the room size overwhelmed them, they did just fine according to Paul and Will.

As I said above, sometimes it looks a bit of a mess and this is one of those times:

https://i.postimg.cc/853vJLjf/bakeoff-jan-20-1.jpg

Began with my Yamaha amp and soon replaced with Will's STA-100 power amp and fed by my tiny little FX Audio valve pre. For a measly £28 delivered it really did shine coupled up to the Radford Revival power amp and to me had exceptional detail and clarity at the top end. Talking of which. here is a picture of the aforesaid power amp, freshly rebuilt and yet to be run in:

https://i.postimg.cc/rz2tgcG8/bakeoff-jan-20-2.jpg

and the little FX Audio pre in action:

https://i.postimg.cc/WpCCm4KM/bakeoff-jan-20-3.jpg

My little 6 way block/mains conditioner sating what the mains input voltage is:

https://i.postimg.cc/CxH2VsKN/bakeoff-jan-20-4.jpg

Will brought in his 'home brew' pre-amp and although it sounded good, it did seem to lack that crisp sparkle in the upper treble that the FX Audio has:

https://i.postimg.cc/3w8cr04H/bakeoff-jan-20-5.jpg

Paul brought along his self built DAC which gave a very good account if itself so was left in for the whole time, plus a carrier bag full of CDs to play. Added to that I brought along a box full of CDs that we managed to get through most of them during the day. Top stuff.

My missus did the coffee making and other catering during the day and I am very grateful that we were able to use the community centre. A couple of the other local residents popped in for a listen and were mighty impressed so I am told :)

AJSki2fly
19-01-2020, 14:50

Hi Dominic, Apologies for not attending but unfortunately I have been struggling with my health for the past few weeks and was not up to it. If there is another one arranged in the future and I am healthier I would be happy to come along.

Glad you had a good day.

Adrian

nonuffin
19-01-2020, 15:21
Hi Dominic, Apologies for not attending but unfortunately I have been struggling with my health for the past few weeks and was not up to it. If there is another one arranged in the future and I am healthier I would be happy to come along.

Glad you had a good day.

Adrian

Hi Adrian, yes I am fully aware that your health issues meant you couldn't attend, so my raspberries were aimed at the people who wished for a west country meet up yet kept very low when one was actually set up!

I'm looking to hold another one possibly in March, so let's hope you are fighting fit for that one :)

AJSki2fly
19-01-2020, 15:23
Hi Adrian, yes I am fully aware that your health issues meant you couldn't attend, so my raspberries were aimed at the people who wished for a west country meet up yet kept very low when one was actually set up!

I'm looking to hold another one possibly in March, so let's hope you are fighting fit for that one :)

I certainly hope so, they are playing around with my drugs to see if it can improve my day to day stability. Let’s hope so[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paul(555)
19-01-2020, 17:38
Enormous thanks to Dominic for organising the day and to his wife for keeping us fed, watered and well behaved.

As Dom reported, despite some stripping, my CD player stubbornly refused to play ball. However Dom’s AVI performed very well and of course faultlessly.

Will’s STA-100 power amp is a serrious bit of kit and when matched with his hybrid pre amp provided the core for most of the days listening. So pleased to have the opportunity to hear these!

Perhaps the biggest surprise was the ability of Dom’s Quadral speakers which performed well beyond my expectations from first sight.

Clearly Dom’s efforts deserved greater support and I was disappointed not to meet more like minded enthusiasts. However, it was great to meet Dom and Will and I look forward to the next opportunity. Now, I just have a CD player to fix.....

struth
19-01-2020, 18:18
Shame it wasn't better used by members.. Hope the next one is.

Lawrence001
20-01-2020, 09:13
Pity there wasn't a larger turnout, but there were some excellent amps there, and by having Will there you had one of the UK's most respected valve amp engineers present so still a very good event, wish I could have been there.

I wanted to comment on Will's pre amp as I heard it a while ago, in fact I suspect my old RCA 6SN7GTs might still be in it unless Will has switched them.

It was the best pre amp I think I've heard, I asked my friend who was borrowing it off Will to ask him if he would sell it to me but unfortunately he had other plans for it.