Here are some of my fav guitar solos in no real order
pYHLVjzf1PY 2cLWO-8RBes
4Inr22ZBmdw Ua-MWLJvGvM
ClbE6YEO6e0 aUZDRPd9g_w
5hSW67ySCio 1qP_OqOJ8ug
tbPTeFta4lw ag14mqNPJiU

Pete The Cat
19-06-2010, 21:28
Mentioned in dispatches - Steve Stevens' slot on "Look In Her Eyes" on the Vince Neil solo album. So fast, so fluid and so over the top that you don't notice he's suddenly begun playing a toy spacegun in the middle of it.

Pete

John
19-06-2010, 22:45
Yeah Steve can play well

Spectral Morn
20-06-2010, 10:33
David Gilmour/Pink Floyd-Comfortably Numb (the Wall)
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tkJNyQfAprY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tkJNyQfAprY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Craig Chaquico/Jefferson Starship-The Awakening (Freedom At Point Zero)
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a6BKc0-lF34&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a6BKc0-lF34&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Regards D S D L

John
20-06-2010, 10:37
Both nice and melodic solos Neil

The Grand Wazoo
20-06-2010, 11:06
Watermelon In Easter Hay (Joe's Last Imaginary Guitar Solo)

mfY3BhYNIjg

Music starts at about 1 minute in. Hairs on back of neck, tingles up & down spine every time I hear it.

Watch him play it here.........
kBQPkLuwy80

But the best live performances of this were by the band that had Steve Vai & Ray White in.

John
20-06-2010, 11:59
Beautiful guitar tone Chris Very cool guitar solo

shane
20-06-2010, 13:32
Has to be Jimmy Page's wonderful outpouring in You Shook Me on Led Zeppelin 1. (Can't get onto youtube at the mo to see if it's there :( )

shane
20-06-2010, 13:35
...and going from the sublime to the ridiculous, The Carpenters Goodbye To Love.

Neither of these show incredible instrumental virtuosity, but boy do they make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!

The Grand Wazoo
20-06-2010, 14:23
Most of my favourite solos tend to be more lyrical types of things like that. Though I do love to have my fillings rattled out, widdly widdly plank spanking for the sake of it bores me a bit nowadays.

Some old favourites of mine (apart from, of course the aforementioned 'Maggot Brain'):

Love - 'Maybe the People Would Be the Times or Between Clark and Hilldale'
This is the solo that made me want to learn to play guitar. I love the way that the guitar works with the horns.

pbmGpvLaf1U

Fleetwood Mac - 'Jumping at Shadows'
in fact almost everything Peter Green has ever played on! But this version is brilliant and the sound quality's pretty good too.

nB6zg05CxYg

Wishbone Ash - 'Persephone'
(3 great solos)

RjPi9Z13eSg

Robin Trower - 'Daydream'
(though it's a bit of an excercise in 'Little Wing-ism'!)

IkY0PGGxjJM

Led Zeppelin - 'Communication Breakdown'

I love the way this solo just explodes out the mix. There's just enough time a moment before it starts to make you realise something extraordinary is on it's way -solo at about 1'20"

CNip8ZEesow

I like this one for the same reasons:
Black Sabbath - 'Wicked World'

start listening out for the solo at about 2'45". Just when you think the track's finished...............

AMkgiJSnYLI

Neil Young - 'Cortez the Killer'

6GDIkb5CDUY

MC5 - 'Looking at You'
Solos from both Wayne Kramer & Fred Smith.......

5sG23tmoWmg

Santana -'Europa' and 'Samba Pa Ti'

frcA6Hk7MfoACdwCIld3kE

Love this one too!

........basically a great big queue of solos
geLR_0_mLYM

shane
20-06-2010, 14:38
Yuo've no idea how frustrating it is reading this thread on a work computer with no sound card!

John
20-06-2010, 14:46
Some cool blues based lick from Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top
ABGHGLvkPcY

The Grand Wazoo
20-06-2010, 15:29
Some cool blues based lick from Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top

~Ah yes, one of the great misheard lyrics of all time -

'I done ran into my baby,
and finally found my aubergine.......

...........If I ever get back my aubergine,
Lord, how happy could one man be.
If I ever get back my aubergine,
'Cause if I get back those aubergines
you know, my baby be bringin' 'em home to me.

John
20-06-2010, 15:38
~Ah yes, one of the great misheard lyrics of all time -

'I done ran into my baby,
and finally found my aubergine.......

...........If I ever get back my aubergine,
If I ever get back my aubergine,
'Cause if I get back those aubergines
you know, my baby be bringin' 'em home to me.

So he is not singing about cooking Aubergine !:)

The Grand Wazoo
20-06-2010, 15:40
I always loved this one too.........

Rory Gallagher - 'Overnight Bag'

IfNBBofS1b4

Themis
21-06-2010, 06:46
Along with some others mentioned already:

10cc - Feel the benefit

Spectral Morn
21-06-2010, 09:02
I always loved this one too.........

Rory Gallagher - 'Overnight Bag'

IfNBBofS1b4

I feel very blessed to have seen Rory live three times.

He just lived to play live and was fabulous at it. Rory would play 30 min encores and come back on again and do another almost complete set. You could see venue management clock watching during the encores.

Regards D S D L

The Grand Wazoo
21-06-2010, 18:08
Yes, I saw him 3 times too - one of the best performers I ever saw. Great gigs every one of them.
I knew a band who were recording in the same studios as him during a period towards the end of his life and was saddened to hear of the effect that his 'poison of choice' seemed to be having on him.

aquapiranha
21-06-2010, 18:50
Watermelon In Easter Hay (Joe's Last Imaginary Guitar Solo)

mfY3BhYNIjg

Music starts at about 1 minute in. Hairs on back of neck, tingles up & down spine every time I hear it.

Watch him play it here.........
kBQPkLuwy80

But the best live performances of this were by the band that had Steve Vai & Ray White in.

Forgot about that one! Fantastic track, I really like Frank Zappa.

Pierre De Grenoble
22-06-2010, 20:52
...and going from the sublime to the ridiculous, The Carpenters Goodbye To Love.

Neither of these show incredible instrumental virtuosity, but boy do they make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!

deffo not ridiculous... deffo sublime

magiccarpetride
22-06-2010, 23:21
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/89zM9pZzt0U&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/89zM9pZzt0U&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The Grand Wazoo
26-06-2010, 15:09
Davey Graham's 'Anji'
Three well known versions...........

5n8cxvzol3E

RqjUWJtH88c

hyIShkta9Rs

I prefer Bert Jansch's version for the dynamic attack on the begining of some of the runs he plays.

Joe
26-06-2010, 15:22
QeOKj5XdVAE

John
26-06-2010, 15:29
Randy Rhodes solos on Mr Crowley 2nd solo at end
XSnj8X1zAZI
Revelation Mother Earth
ZM06TRcFnJE