PDA

View Full Version : recommend a good brand electrolytics for tt psu

karma67
27-10-2019, 09:08
as above,im thinking about replacing the 43yr old electrolytics in my turntables power supply.
whats you choice of good quality caps for this area?
im wary to do it as its working fine,should i do it a a preventative measure?
opinions welcome both fore and against.

https://i.postimg.cc/RhWMzJ2M/IMG-3737-1.jpg

killie99
27-10-2019, 09:31
Without spending a fortune either Panasonic or nichicon

Ali Tait
27-10-2019, 09:40
I would buy from somewhere like Hi Fi Collective rather than EBay, might cost a little more but at least you are sure you’re not getting fakes.

Jazid
27-10-2019, 16:28
Nichicon, Panasonic, Elna, and I'd get them at Mouser or Farnell. Avoid Chinese stuff as a general rule.
One of the little grey fellas looks a bit swollen, don't know if it's the pic or not. But other than that there's arguments both ways. I personally can't see why not recap ageing electrolytics, it costs little and buys surety, but electronic engineers love to get sniffy about waste and will rightly dissuade you from fixing what ain't broke.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

karma67
27-10-2019, 16:34
hi,
yes i was planning on going with either panasonic or nichicon,the trouble is there are so many series made by both i would be grateful for which type,in particular nichicon,the panasonic fm have been recommended.

Jazid
27-10-2019, 16:53
Oh boy, for that you'll need a circuit diagram and a visit to DIYaudio. I don't even know what deck you have!
You can try to swap like for like with ranges that still haven't changed, or Google for equivalent new ranges from the same manufacturer. Too many variables!

karma67
27-10-2019, 17:00
well thats over my head to start with,i have the circuit diagram and the cap values match with the ones on my board,are you saying i have to know the ripple current/esr values etc? :scratch:

Bigman80
27-10-2019, 20:56
well thats over my head to start with,i have the circuit diagram and the cap values match with the ones on my board,are you saying i have to know the ripple current/esr values etc? :scratch:Leave it alone. Its working perfectly, so why upset it. Its an old pcb and age could've made it slightly brittle or the Next thing is you've stuck too much heat on it and lifted a track.

Honest, I love modding but your speed is accurate so what will it bring, especially when it's already spot on.

Tbh, if you 100% want it done, I'd give it to a pro to do. Can't buy spare PCBs for that tt

Jazid
27-10-2019, 21:09
Are we allowed to know what it is, O Illuminati?

karma67
28-10-2019, 18:06
Are we allowed to know what it is, O Illuminati?

its in my sig,sony tts-8000

karma67
28-10-2019, 18:07
Leave it alone. Its working perfectly, so why upset it. Its an old pcb and age could've made it slightly brittle or the Next thing is you've stuck too much heat on it and lifted a track.

Honest, I love modding but your speed is accurate so what will it bring, especially when it's already spot on.

Tbh, if you 100% want it done, I'd give it to a pro to do. Can't buy spare PCBs for that tt

id gladly give it to angus to do but i fear he's snowed under and i dont like to ask to be honest.