PDA

View Full Version : Hi Res Music Player for Mac

steve-z
21-10-2019, 14:15
I’ve just ordered a Topping D10 DAC basically to dip my toe into the pool which is Hi Res music. I store all my music on my Macmini in itunes or as it’s called now in OS Catalina, just “Music”. Unfortunately “Music” does not have support for Hi Res music files so I need to add a new music player application that does, preferably a free rather than subscription service. I looked online and the most recommended one was Vox, so I downloaded it, unfortunately when I tried to open the program an error message came up, “It is not possible to open this program as Apple is unable to check if it contains any malicious software”
I’m wondering if any Mac using forum member can suggest a suitable Hi Res player that will run ok with OS Catalina, I don’t mind a one off payment to buy it but not a subscription service, any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bosa
21-10-2019, 18:24
Hi,

I use JRiver on a Macbook via USB to an Audiolab M-Dac and pleased with it’s performance on all file types. Interface is easy to use. The optional remote software for phone or tablet is also easy to use and can be used to control the server or locally so you can listen e.g. on headphones or stream to another system.

I have heard the latest version of Audirvana is also good. I have an early version and the interface is a bit primitive but the sound quality good.

steve-z
21-10-2019, 20:31
Hi,

I use JRiver on a Macbook via USB to an Audiolab M-Dac and pleased with it’s performance on all file types. Interface is easy to use. The optional remote software for phone or tablet is also easy to use and can be used to control the server or locally so you can listen e.g. on headphones or stream to another system.

I have heard the latest version of Audirvana is also good. I have an early version and the interface is a bit primitive but the sound quality good.

Thanks for the recommendation, a couple of friends use JRiver and like it particularly for the Hi Res compatibility, if my intention was to change from using the new Music application on the Mac and using JRiver for everything it would probably be worth the expense but I only intend to use it as an additional just to handle Hi Res files which “Music” can’t. Since starting this thread I managed to find an Apple certified download of Vox and I’ve installed it on my Macmini, the UI is pretty basic from what I can see, I downloaded a free sample Hi Res music track (labelled FLAC1206 kbps 24bit 96khz) which it played and sounded very good, although not being familiar with the content I didn’t have anything to compare it with. Just need to get hold of some Hi Res versions of some music I’m familiar with so I can assess if there is a perceptively better SQ with the Hi Res versions and also to compare the Wolfson DAC in my CXA60 to the Topping D10 which is on its way.

struth
21-10-2019, 21:14
I'm on windoz but use both audirvana and jriver.
Jriver is more adaptable and AV probably just has the edge sound wise. AV probably uses more pro essor and memory.
Jriver is cheaper and has rip capability plus lots of extras.

steve-z
05-11-2019, 19:01
Just as an update, I’ve finished up downloading the JRiver Media Centre 25, there’s enough difference between it and the Music app in Catalina that it will take me a while to get used to “driving” it. I’d be interested to hear from others who use both players as to whether they think there’s any difference in the SQ of the 2 players. As I only setup JRiver a few hours ago I don’t think I’ve used it enough to make a solid judgement call but my initial impression is that JRiver “may” give a slightly bigger and weightier sound although doing a really accurate AB is not easy as the 2 players output at slightly different volumes so my observations are purely subjective.
I think the real-time bitrate readout is interesting, I thought ALAC was about 800-900kbps but I’ve just been listening to one of my favourite albums, Gaucho by Steely Dan and noticed peaks at 1200+kbps, surprising [emoji848]

Slawts
12-11-2019, 21:55
I use a PC but have Foobar which is free and plays all high res files. You can also use foobar on your phone and use it to rip CD's.

AJSki2fly
13-11-2019, 19:43
I’ve just ordered a Topping D10 DAC basically to dip my toe into the pool which is Hi Res music. I store all my music on my Macmini in itunes or as it’s called now in OS Catalina, just “Music”. Unfortunately “Music” does not have support for Hi Res music files so I need to add a new music player application that does, preferably a free rather than subscription service. I looked online and the most recommended one was Vox, so I downloaded it, unfortunately when I tried to open the program an error message came up, “It is not possible to open this program as Apple is unable to check if it contains any malicious software”
I’m wondering if any Mac using forum member can suggest a suitable Hi Res player that will run ok with OS Catalina, I don’t mind a one off payment to buy it but not a subscription service, any advice would be appreciated.

Personally I use Audirvana on Mac and its great, reliable. simple and easy to use. It a one of $75 payment I believe.

struth
13-11-2019, 19:59
Both great players, Jr has a lit more in it tho.

Liffy99
20-11-2019, 15:29
I use Logitech Media Server on my Mac.
But now trialling Audirvana (30 day free trial). One benefit I hope to see is that it natively supports my streaming service, Qobuz, and means I can manage playlists from my IPad whilst listening downstairs.
But hi res - please, save your money and don’t bother. You will not hear a difference between that and CD standard unless you have the ears of a bat. Trials have clearly shown that the vast, vast majority of people cannot tell the difference in any reliable way when comparing THE SAME RECORDING in the two formats. Most people struggle to differentiate MP3 320 from CD.
Hi res is just a scam to get us paying more for the same music, again. Far more important is how the music has been recorded and mastered.

AJSki2fly
20-11-2019, 15:35
I use Logitech Media Server on my Mac.
But now trialling Audirvana (30 day free trial). One benefit I hope to see is that it natively supports my streaming service, Qobuz, and means I can manage playlists from my IPad whilst listening downstairs.
But hi res - please, save your money and don’t bother. You will not hear a difference between that and CD standard unless you have the ears of a bat. Trials have clearly shown that the vast, vast majority of people cannot tell the difference in any reliable way when comparing THE SAME RECORDING in the two formats. Most people struggle to differentiate MP3 320 from CD.
Hi res is just a scam to get us paying more for the same music, again. Far more important is how the music has been recorded and mastered.

You are not wrong IMO:clapclapclap:

steve-z
20-11-2019, 19:12
Since I got hold of hi res versions of some of my favourite albums I’ve been making quite a lot of comparisons, in many instances there have been noticeable improvements in quite a few of them. Of the ones I’ve listened to 2 albums stand out, Rumours by Fleetwood Mac and Diamond Life by Sade, both easily improved on their original CD versions, I’m under no illusions that this is caused purely by being converted to hi res files, that would be ridiculous, no doubt it is the skilful remastering of the original masters that’s probably where most of the improvement comes from, but what does seem clear is that when the intention is to produce an album in a more advanced digital format then all efforts are made to make the result as good sounding as possible. I’ve always considered Rumours in its original form to be a rather bland and dull sounding album although the content is superb, the version I’ve heard now is far superior, more dynamic, improved clarity with the brilliance the original recording lacked, if other albums get the same sort of treatment, then whether or not hi res in itself is better is irrelevant, if the music sounds better then the hi res versions are worth seeking out.

hornucopia
21-11-2019, 14:26
I recall reading that you could get an earlier iTunes download, but I'm no expert.
I've always used Lossless iTunes, via my filterless 'Redbook' dac-MHDT Havana (with Sodders upgrades)

?? Are the LPs you mention 'remastered'? Would explain the changes.

steve-z
21-11-2019, 14:44
I recall reading that you could get an earlier iTunes download, but I'm no expert.
I've always used Lossless iTunes, via my filterless 'Redbook' dac-MHDT Havana (with Sodders upgrades)

?? Are the LPs you mention 'remastered'? Would explain the changes.

I’ve never bought a download in my life and I doubt I ever will, all the music that’s on my Mac has been ripped to ALAC from my own CDs collected over the last 35 years or so, some of my favourites have been bought more than once when remastered versions appeared, eg Brothers in Arms and Love Over Gold. The 24bit version of BIA has had a further remastering and whoever did it must have been drunk cos’ it’s crap, the first (and only) time I played it, it made me cringe [emoji51], it sounds like the volume was set to normal and then the loudness button on the amp has been pushed, result, bloated boomy bass and ear piercing treble, a superb album totally destroyed, needless to say I deleted it smartly.

hornucopia
21-11-2019, 17:47
But iTunes system isn't 'bought'is it? I seem to recall Srajan on 6 moons sticking to an earlier version of iTunes
I agree; I've never bought music, just put my own CDs on to a HDD.
I know what you mean about variable quality. Shades of 'names' being treasured at mastering stage.