PDA

View Full Version : WTF???

icehockeyboy
08-10-2019, 18:17
Not sure whether this should have gone in the Abstract Chat section, but it is Hifi related, so here goes.

Firstly to set the scene, small items have gone missing out of my kitchen cupboards, a jar of Pataks mixed pickle, and a can of soup, but, and here’s the Hifi link, I have a set up in the kitchen, an Onkyo amp, fed by a Logitech Bluetooth adapter, fed into the Aux input, all I do when I want music in the kitchen is switch the power on, make sure the Logitech unit is linked via my iPad, and then just select what music I want on.

Except today, I could not hear anything, music was being sent from the iPad, I could see the timer going, but not a sound!

I went through all the usual things, made sure other Bluetooth stuff wasn’t connected etc, but still no music.

Rebooted the iPad numerous times, gues what? Still nothing!

I even swapped out the iPad and used my iPhone to see if that helped...nothing!

No matter what I tried, I could not get anything to come out of the speakers!

Now, the amp has a remote control that isn’t used, ever since I did the initial set up..volume level, which was fine by the way, and the input, which as I said earlier, was set to the Aux input, so the remote was just lying there next to the amp atop the kitchen units, way out of reach of anyone.
For some reason I decided to wind the input selector to a different input, and instantly music ebbed forth from the speakers!

Now, my question is this, and bear in mind the remote was out of sight , hidden by the top part of the cabinet woodwork, so how did the input manage to change itself from the Aux setting, to the CD input?
With the guarantee that no human being had touched either the remote, or the amp itself?

Gazjam
08-10-2019, 18:27
With the guarantee that no human being had touched either the remote, or the amp itself?

And you know this...how? :)

icehockeyboy
08-10-2019, 18:32

And you know this...how? :)

Only 2 of us live here, the wife would have to know the amp has a remote, she doesn’t, she isn’t even aware that there is an amp hidden above the kitchen units, and she’d have to stand on one of the stools around the island to reach it! ��

icehockeyboy
08-10-2019, 18:33
I’m still seeking an explanation about the foodstuff that has disappeared too...

Pigmy Pony
08-10-2019, 18:38
Sleepwalking. Or a little mouse with clogs on. Where? There on the stair.

Barry
08-10-2019, 18:42
A poltergeist. :rolleyes:

struth
08-10-2019, 18:45
Power dropout caused amp to reset to cd output?

Pigmy Pony
08-10-2019, 19:00

That sounds likely - CD may be default position

southall-1998_mk2
08-10-2019, 19:14
A poltergeist. :rolleyes:

Calling Derek Acorah :)

S.

mikeyb
08-10-2019, 19:16
You've not noticed a box of OMO under the kitchen sink have you?

Pigmy Pony
08-10-2019, 19:51
You've not noticed a box of OMO under the kitchen sink have you?

Eh?

icehockeyboy
08-10-2019, 20:05

Nah, would have affected the oven , microwave, alarm etc

scotty38
08-10-2019, 22:39
Sounds to me like your wife had some mixed pickle soup whilst she was going round with the feather duster..

Pharos
08-10-2019, 22:55
One of the things I find irksome about the digital side of Hi-Fi is the vulnerability of it to become changed.

We had a power out in Seaford a week or so ago, and thought at that time it may have been only local, but when I got home it had caused my FM tuner to default to standby, but not my preamp or my irDAC.

All are prone to errors from mains anomalies, the tuner switches on text at random without a power cut, and all of them have differing fault time-defaults so that what is affected varies.

Audio Al
09-10-2019, 02:41
Aliens :eek:

struth
09-10-2019, 03:48
Nah, would have affected the oven , microwave, alarm etcSome equipment is more sensitive to very short dropouts where power just blips. If no memory is present a short on off so fast say, the light just flickered, can be enough to clear it and default.
Not saying it was but its possible for one bit of gear to drop out and others not to

icehockeyboy
09-10-2019, 08:47
Can’t I just stay with my original thoughts of something paranormal? :)

Edward
09-10-2019, 09:15
A hole in the space-time continuum opened up between Area 51 and Torquay through which an imprisoned alien is trying to communicate with you Craig. It has an important message to relay to you. Highly recommend that when you are not listing to music you switch back to CD input otherwise you are silencing the important message.

Now you know. :)

struth
09-10-2019, 09:28
A hole in the space-time continuum opened up between Area 51 and Torquay through which an imprisoned alien is trying to communicate with you Craig. It has an important message to relay to you. Highly recommend that when you are not listing to music you switch back to CD input otherwise you are silencing the important message.

Now you know. :)

na, its stick on that shawadywady cd again:lol:

walpurgis
09-10-2019, 09:32

No. It's all down to sleepwalking I reckon. :)

Barry
09-10-2019, 11:53
Eh?

It's an Armed Forces wives' thing. Putting a box of OMO washing powder on the kitchen window sill, to inform others that the "Old Man's Out", and therefore an available 'window of opportunity' for 'a bit on the side'. :eyebrows:

Explained to me by a friend who worked for the MoD, and was based in Rheindahlen, Germany.

Macca
09-10-2019, 12:20

It's an old house isn't it? I'd say that's your problem right there. Borrow a dog off a neighbor and take it round, see if there's any rooms it won't go in.

icehockeyboy
09-10-2019, 12:41
It's an old house isn't it? I'd say that's your problem right there. Borrow a dog off a neighbor and take it round, see if there's any rooms it won't go in.

Yes it’s over 150 years old, but we have a dog, and she’s happy to go into any room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

southall-1998_mk2
09-10-2019, 14:03

Nah! Craig needs to hire Derek Acorah.

:D

S.

southall-1998_mk2
09-10-2019, 14:05
Or even better - Yvette Fielding. All she needs to do is walk in and scream!

S.

Macca
09-10-2019, 17:51
Yes it’s over 150 years old, but we have a dog, and she’s happy to go into any room.

Scratch that theory then. I once lived in a house where the neighbours dog and my mate's dog would not even go upstairs at all. The next door cat would but only to stand up there meowing endlessly at nothing.

Pigmy Pony
09-10-2019, 18:13

Does your dog like soup? Course she does, the spicier the better. And what are her tastes in music?

icehockeyboy
09-10-2019, 18:14
Does your dog like soup? Course she does, the spicier the better. And what are her tastes in music?

She’d have to be a very clever dog to reach the cupboard where food is kept! [emoji23]

Pigmy Pony
09-10-2019, 18:25
She’d have to be a very clever dog to reach the cupboard where food is kept! [emoji23]

I would have expected changing function to play CDs on your hifi to be more of a challenge for her. By comparison, nicking a tin of soup should be a doddle. So if it's not the dog, and it's not sleepwalking, maybe it's your dog sleepwalking :)

legb4rsk
13-10-2019, 22:07
I assume it's on the same circuit as other kitchen devices.Some of these are very noisy when switching on & off.Kettle,toaster,microwave,washing machine etc.

I sometimes hear a click on my system in the lounge when stuff is switching in the kitchen.My best guess would be a mains noise spike.

jandl100
14-10-2019, 06:26
Craig, honestly ... it's obvious.

The wife knows all about the amp on top of the cupboards. Wives know everything.
She's taken out a life insurance policy on you with a special insanity clause. If you end up in the loony bin she cops a £bundle.

It's all a sneaky plan to drive you (even) mad(der). :facepull:

AJSki2fly
14-10-2019, 08:44
You are probably sited right over the top os a lay line and gateway to a parallel universe, how do you think I got here?:eek:

Barry
14-10-2019, 12:24
I assume it's on the same circuit as other kitchen devices.Some of these are very noisy when switching on & off.Kettle,toaster,microwave,washing machine etc.

I sometimes hear a click on my system in the lounge when stuff is switching in the kitchen.My best guess would be a mains noise spike.

I'm inclined to go with this explanation, especially if the amp is within close proximity of the fridge/freezer etc., and hence offering two paths for interference: mains borne switching spikes conveyed through the wiring and radiated due to the thermostat contacts arcing.