PDA

View Full Version : PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC and I2S

Dawg
02-10-2019, 22:59
Hi Folks, so im getting closer to purchasing the above DAC, ive chosen this for a few reasons, home theatre mode, (a big selling point for me) a very interesting analogue preamp, IE no actual attenuation device and does not rely on digital volume out from DAC, another analogue input for my TT and finally the heritage of PS Audio, I just wish it wasnt so expensive! Oh well, im told its a bargain!

So I noticed one or 2 users of it here and I wondered if you had any gripes, any niggles or things you wish it didnt or indeed did do? It will mainly be used as the HT front left and right channels connected to my Monos. I was wondering how smooth the whole process was using it like this, I have a logitech Harmony Elite so I expect it all to be easy for the wife, at present it is not. Ive been looking and havnt actually seen a picture of a remote control for it but its been mentioned in a few reviews so im guessing it does have one or thats going to kill it!

Next I wondered if anyone is using the I2s input, as I wont be able to use my squeezebox touch in USB mode (as I couldnt with my Teac) I am looking at a Rpi with add on boards. Now I like the look of Ian Canadas, something like the ultimate fifo plus his I2S over HDMI, there are other options like Audio Gd and a few ready made units but most of those are a bit too rich for my wallet, the DAC is going to clean me out. Has anyone tried Ian Canadas I2S HDMI card into this or any other DAC with compatible input?

Any views positive or negative on the above products most appreciated.

struth
03-10-2019, 05:59
Gazjam uses a directstream Ps one. And he uses the is2 connection..

Gazjam
03-10-2019, 06:28
Hi Alan,
As Grant says I use a PS Audio dac with i2s, so mibbay can help a bit.

Not the Stellar dac I have, but I use tbe i2s input on mine with my Oppo 203 running Roon as a network streamer.
Its a great way to hookup your kit if you can, on paper the BEST way to connect digitally, and PS Audio are one of the few manufacturers who offer it, in fact, they wrote the standard.

From my own use, can vouch for it being perhaps my Dacs best sounding input, so going i2s with the pi is the way to go Id say.

Never heard your Stellar Gain Cell dac, but by all reviews Ive read and its functionality, looks a great piece of kit.
Its PS Audio, so it'll sound great too.
lots of great reviews here.
https://www.psaudio.com/products/stellar-gain-cell/#tab-reviews

Never used a Pi setup, so can't assist with that, but lots of guys on here have, and they are a helpful bunch. :)

Dawg
03-10-2019, 07:20
Hi Alan,
As Grant says I use a PS Audio dac with i2s, so mibbay can help a bit.

Not the Stellar dac I have, but I use tbe i2s input on mine with my Oppo 203 running Roon as a network streamer.
Its a great way to hookup your kit if you can, on paper the BEST way to connect digitally, and PS Audio are one of the few manufacturers who offer it, in fact, they wrote the standard.

From my own use, can vouch for it being perhaps my Dacs best sounding input, so going i2s with the pi is the way to go Id say.

Never heard your Stellar Gain Cell dac, but by all reviews Ive read and its functionality, looks a great piece of kit.
Its PS Audio, so it'll sound great too.
lots of great reviews here.
https://www.psaudio.com/products/stellar-gain-cell/#tab-reviews

Never used a Pi setup, so can't assist with that, but lots of guys on here have, and they are a helpful bunch. :)

Thanks Gazjam, i guess you used one of the 200 dollar i2s cards on ebay? I see those players are very well sought after and still go for good money second hand. Did you have to do anything else or does that card drop straight in using existing connections? I think ive read every review on the internet waiting for my bank balance to increase. :)

Gazjam
03-10-2019, 09:39
No bother Alan.

I got my i2s board (and all the other Opp mods I did directly from a company called Oppomod in Korea.

Big thread on what I did with my stock Oppo 203 here:
https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?56087-Hey-guess-what-I%92m-about-to-do-Major-Oppo-mods

I did all my mods mostly around the same time, but re: the i2s board, aside a bit of ultraviolence with a dremel on the rear of the case, it was mostly plug n play.

See the thread I linked to for more info.

Dawg
03-10-2019, 12:13
Very nice, I will have a read thanks, I think my budget will be limited to RPi though looking at all the bits, I always want every mod you can buy for a given product.

Gazjam
04-10-2019, 09:54
same, we must be obsessed!