PDA

View Full Version : Sounds and Favours of Ortofon SPU Stereo Cartridges

Ammonite Audio
30-09-2019, 14:33
I often get asked "what do Ortofon SPU cartridges sound like?"

To answer that, from a personal perspective, I've written up my thoughts and recommendations on stereo SPUs on my Ammonite Audio website here https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/sounds-and-flavours-of-ortofon-spu-stereo-cartridges/. I hope you enjoy reading my reflections on these cartridges, which really do all have somewhat different characters. I'll do another piece on the SPU mono cartridges in due course.

I have most SPU models in stock, including the limited edition SPU Century, for next day delivery. See them here https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/product-category/ortofon-spu/

Mike Reed
02-10-2019, 14:25
An exhaustive and informative essay, Hugo. I enjoyed reading it, and wonder how comparison with the other higher end Ortofons would fare. It is unusual, I think, for a manufacturer to have two distinct model ranges ostensibly vying with each other. I guess one difference would be the predilection of SPUs to be attached to a head-shell (as it was conceived?) which may explain it, but I'd imagine that the difference would be equally apparent in tonal terms.

scotty38
02-10-2019, 16:01
Nice write up. Looking forward to hearing my 850L and (almost) bottom of the range SPU once my Lenco comes back to me... Already looking and thinking "What shall I try next?" :-) :-)

Ammonite Audio
03-10-2019, 06:13
An exhaustive and informative essay, Hugo. I enjoyed reading it, and wonder how comparison with the other higher end Ortofons would fare. It is unusual, I think, for a manufacturer to have two distinct model ranges ostensibly vying with each other. I guess one difference would be the predilection of SPUs to be attached to a head-shell (as it was conceived?) which may explain it, but I'd imagine that the difference would be equally apparent in tonal terms.

The SPUs are characterful things that will never be 'mainstream' and they do sit nicely alongside Ortofon's other cartridges without being in competition. I would point out that the most expensive SPU variant (SPU Century) is £3995 while their Anna MC models are substantially more, so while £4k for a cartridge is hardly peanuts, SPUs are broadly speaking sensibly priced. Yes, there are major differences in tonal terms between most SPUs and 'modern' MC cartridges from Ortofon and others, but therein lies much of the appeal of SPUs - they have character and musical character at that. Not all SPUs are wedded to removable shells - the Royal and Classic models are available in 'N' forms which can be fitted to any tonearm using a suitable SPU N adapter; however most people do actually want the old fashioned SPU shell and I can understand that since, while not being totally immune from setup neuroses, shelled SPUs are almost plug and play.

Nice write up. Looking forward to hearing my 850L and (almost) bottom of the range SPU once my Lenco comes back to me... Already looking and thinking "What shall I try next?" :-) :-)

I think you'll enjoy the musical ride!