PDA

View Full Version : New member based in Hong Kong

ben_hong_kong
30-09-2019, 13:23
Hello all,

I'm from the UK originally, now living in Hong Kong. Have joined this forum as after a bit of a hiatus due to family commitments, my interest in Hi-Fi equipment has definitely returned.

My current core system is about 15 years old, purchased in my early 20's. I still really like the way it sounds but interested in how modern equipment will sound in comparison.

CD Player: Arcam CD72
Amp: Marantz PM7200 (run in class A mode)
Speakers: Quad 11L
Streamer: Sonos Connect.

I've recently subscribed to Tidal and the first priority for me is to replace the Sonos Connect with a better quality product. Trying to do as much background research on streamers, DACs etc. I'm a technically minded person but I'm still finding it a little confusing.

Would also like to get all of my CDs ripped into FLAC. Realised the other day that I don't have a computer at home with a CD drive. So will need to look at options around that.

Looking forward to learning from the wealth of experience on here and very likely getting tempted to buy some new equipment!

Spectral Morn
30-09-2019, 13:36
Welcome to AoS :cool:

southall-1998_mk2
30-09-2019, 20:02
Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.

Alex_UK
30-09-2019, 20:32
Hi Ben, and welcome to AoS. You can get USB CD drives on Amazon for a tenner that will do the trick no problem, so don't let that put you off. Having said that, I ripped my 3,500 odd CD's to FLAC but rarely play them now with Tidal and Spotify subscriptions... If you have decent broadband speed, may not be worth the bother... Whatever, hope you enjoy the forum.:)

walpurgis
01-10-2019, 06:55
Hello Ben. Welcome to AOS.

If you want to rip CD's you can get an external 'plug & play' USB CD drive cheaply that may suit your needs.

Anyway, join in and chat with everybody, it's a friendly place.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Hibster_2000
01-10-2019, 08:01
Personally, I would get a USB Blu-Ray writer so that once you have created all your FLAC files, you can back them up, so that you only have to go through this relatively tedious process once.

I put all my FLAC files on an m-disc, so they are a good back-up for my lifetime.
Normal CD, DVD and Blu-Ray writable discs last around 10 years, apparently.

ben_hong_kong
02-10-2019, 12:01
Thanks everyone for the welcome and the suggestions on external USB based drives for the purpose of ripping my CD collection to FLAC. The reason I'm considering doing it is there are sections of my collection that I can't find on Tidal or Qobuz. CDs produced by venues such as Fabric and the Notting Hill Arts Club were only produced in limited runs and aren't available to stream or buy any more.

walpurgis
02-10-2019, 12:31
Well if you're buying a CD drive, make sure it is 'plug & play', otherwise it will come with an installation disc, which of course you won't be able to use without an existing CD drive installed. :)

Lawrence001
02-10-2019, 15:27
I've got an Innuos Zen which is much faster than a PC in my experience. My early version gives you no control over the track/album data but later versions may do.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Barry
05-10-2019, 22:09
Welcome to AoS Ben,

Sorry I can't help you with ripping options as I'm so 'old school' (read neo-Luddite :lol:) I still put up with thousands of LPs and CDs.

Nice system by the way. :) What are your tastes in music?

Enjoy the Forum
Barry

Light Dependant Resistor
06-10-2019, 00:41
Hello all,

I'm from the UK originally, now living in Hong Kong. Have joined this forum as after a bit of a hiatus due to family commitments, my interest in Hi-Fi equipment has definitely returned.

My current core system is about 15 years old, purchased in my early 20's. I still really like the way it sounds but interested in how modern equipment will sound in comparison.

CD Player: Arcam CD72
Amp: Marantz PM7200 (run in class A mode)
Speakers: Quad 11L
Streamer: Sonos Connect.

I've recently subscribed to Tidal and the first priority for me is to replace the Sonos Connect with a better quality product. Trying to do as much background research on streamers, DACs etc. I'm a technically minded person but I'm still finding it a little confusing.

Would also like to get all of my CDs ripped into FLAC. Realised the other day that I don't have a computer at home with a CD drive. So will need to look at options around that.

Looking forward to learning from the wealth of experience on here and very likely getting tempted to buy some new equipment!

Hi Ben
There are many ripper pieces of software in Linux ( both meanings entertained ) linux mint https://www.linuxmint.com/ enables you to use conversion software to FLAC
Here is a screenshot from part of the software packages download page, showing part of what is available. Linux mint is free, but you can donate to them for being so clever. 26782
Mint can be installed too on earlier computers, perhaps saving you quite a bit. That's a nice system you have.

Audio Al
06-10-2019, 06:56
I Ben , good to have you on the forum , enjoy :)

ben_hong_kong
12-11-2019, 12:47
Welcome to AoS Ben,

Sorry I can't help you with ripping options as I'm so 'old school' (read neo-Luddite :lol:) I still put up with thousands of LPs and CDs.

Nice system by the way. :) What are your tastes in music?

Enjoy the Forum
Barry

Thanks Barry,

I still think my system sounds good, 16 years after I put it together.
Putting a CD player based separates system was so simple back then. I'm currently trying to add a high quality streaming solution into my system and I'm still no closer to deciding on which way to go. As some have mentioned, it really does seem to be a rabbit hole.

My tastes in music are quite varied but the main genres I listen to are: indie rock, ambient techno, jazz and some classical.