PDA

View Full Version : M.A Recordings - Group Buy

Bigman80
26-09-2019, 16:18
Hi all,

I have recently discovered an Audiophile recording label run by Todd Garfinkle. M.A recordings are using some really interesting venues and musicians for their album releases.

Unfortunatly, the price for the sale of an individual 2LP album & Postage are quite prohibitive.

For instance, "La Segunda" by Sera Una Noche works out to about £80 before tax, vat and handling.

I have been speaking to Todd about this and he suggested a group buy may help reduce the cost somewhat and has offered me a discounted FedEx delivery if a group buy is managed.

There is no minimum order or maximum but if there is someone here, who has considered one of their pressings and been put off by the cost, maybe we can put something together.

Here is a link to the MA page:

https://www.marecordings.com/main/index.php?cPath=61&osCsid=2vchhegbmb3d06mbk8o28alkl5

Spectral Morn
26-09-2019, 17:07
And how is this about hifi? Its music, not equipment. Please try and start threads in the proper place. Thread moved from Blank Canvas.

Bigman80
26-09-2019, 17:16
And how is this about hifi? Its music, not equipment. Please try and start threads in the proper place. Thread moved.Ffs, who knows where to post anything with the ridiculous frigging titles!

mikeyb
26-09-2019, 17:20
Ffs, who knows where to post anything with the ridiculous frigging titles!Watch or you'll get your botty smacked too [emoji23]

Spectral Morn
26-09-2019, 17:21
Ffs, who knows where to post anything with the ridiculous frigging titles!

Oliver you strike me as being intelligent, the sections of the forum are clearly labelled and this isn't the first time you have dumped a music related OP in Blank Canvas. Pause and think about where before you post. Thank you and less of the language please.

Spectral Morn
26-09-2019, 17:24
Watch or you'll get your botty smacked too [emoji23]

I reserve that for very naughty boys and he hasn't crossed that line yet :cool:

Jimbo
26-09-2019, 17:45
I had a lot to do with Todd last year Oli as he helped me out a lot. Even bought some records over to Europe for me on his way to Munich so he could post them too me cheaper so he is a top guy to deal with and a really decent chap.

His vinyl is second to none quality wise and he really goes to amazing places to record stuff and his technique produces some extraordinary good recordings as you found from Nublado.

I have another LP from him which is equally stunning which you will have to hear sometime. :)

Bigman80
26-09-2019, 17:48
I had a lot to do with Todd last year Oli as he helped me out a lot. Even bought some records over to Europe for me on his way to Munich so he could post them too me cheaper so he is a top guy to deal with and a really decent chap.

His vinyl is second to none quality wise and he really goes to amazing places to record stuff and his technique produces some extraordinary good recordings as you found from Nublado.

I have another LP from him which is equally stunning which you will have to hear sometime. :)Ye, he seems like a good guy.

I might ask if he's in Europe soon lol

montesquieu
26-09-2019, 18:05
Useful site! Had never heard of it.

Wish a few more of the recordings listed were available on vinyl. Put me down for the Ito Ema Goldberg Variations. There's a few others I'm interested in notably Ensemble Mare Nostrum's transcription of the Organbuchlein, but it's not clear what the format is - SACD? Dual layer I hope? (as I don't have a SACD player). Web site definitely could use a little work! Have to shoot out but will look again later.

Bigman80
26-09-2019, 18:36
Useful site! Had never heard of it.

Wish a few more of the recordings listed were available on vinyl. Put me down for the Ito Ema Goldberg Variations. There's a few others I'm interested in notably Ensemble Mare Nostrum's transcription of the Organbuchlein, but it's not clear what the format is - SACD? Dual layer I hope? (as I don't have a SACD player). Web site definitely could use a little work! Have to shoot out but will look again later.Awesome.

Jazid
26-09-2019, 20:52
I'll take a punt on the Goldberg Variations too, can't have too many interpretations of that [emoji16]

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bigman80
26-09-2019, 21:45
I'll take a punt on the Goldberg Variations too, can't have too many interpretations of that [emoji16]

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Cool,

Lokking at Todds email again, looks like once we get over 5kgs in weight, we can order. I think we may need a few more lol

montesquieu
26-09-2019, 21:48
Cool,

Lokking at Todds email again, looks like once we get over 5kgs in weight, we can order. I think we may need a few more lol

I'm up for some CDs too (I figured out how to get CDs rather than SACDs) but you really need vinyl for the weight. But not much vinyl that I fancy. The viola da gamba set possibly but $60 for music I mostly don't know is a bit of a punt. Need to do some exploring.

Bigman80
26-09-2019, 21:53
I'm up for some CDs too (I figured out how to get CDs rather than SACDs) but you really need vinyl for the weight. But not much vinyl that I fancy. The viola da gamba set possibly but $60 for music I mostly don't know is a bit of a punt. Need to do some exploring.

yup, it's a big gamble.

I am talking myself out of the vinyl too. I may just order the CD to see what exactly what i'd be buying.

Jimbo
27-09-2019, 05:25
How does it work Oli, does todd send whole order as 5kg or individually because if this is the case you will have to factor in sending everything by post to those who have ordered which is extra expense.?:scratch:

Bigman80
27-09-2019, 07:02
How does it work Oli, does todd send whole order as 5kg or individually because if this is the case you will have to factor in sending everything by post to those who have ordered which is extra expense.?:scratch:Yup, I was hoping it would be cheaper to do that than buy individually.

Looks like that may not be the case.

Think I'll have to knock it on the head

Jimbo
27-09-2019, 07:06
Yup, I was hoping it would be cheaper to do that than buy individually.

Looks like that may not be the case.

Think I'll have to knock it on the head

Unfortunately I think it is still going to be expensive. Todd does usually travel to quite a few European shows to sell his vinyl and CDs so maybe he could let us know when he is going and send products to us from there which is a lot cheaper. He only uses top airfreight companies to ship to the UK from USA and it almost doubles the price of the merchandise!:eek:

Bigman80
27-09-2019, 07:10
Unfortunately I think it is still going to be expensive. Todd does usually travel to quite a few European shows to sell his vinyl and CDs so maybe he could let us know when he is going and send products to us from there which is a lot cheaper. He only uses top airfreight companies to ship to the UK from USA and it almost doubles the price of the merchandise!:eek:Yup, the CD is $16 and postage is $13

I am sure its worth it but damn that's pricey.

struth
27-09-2019, 07:38
you want quality, you pay a quality price. such is the way it goes, but remember the product has a high resale value as well, so its not money down the drain:)

Bigman80
27-09-2019, 07:47
you want quality, you pay a quality price. such is the way it goes, but remember the product has a high resale value as well, so its not money down the drain:)Yes, that's true. Might br better buying 5 copies myself and selling them on lol

struth
27-09-2019, 08:08
Yes, that's true. Might br better buying 5 copies myself and selling them on lol

could use money worse :lol: