PDA

View Full Version : Rega Planar 3

sarnies
05-06-2010, 12:31
I've recently beefed up my system, added new inter-connects and dusted down my Rega, not having played vinyl for years.

The Rega is out-of-the-box bog standard just as it was when I bought it 20 years ago and I notice that the connecting cable supplied appears of questionnable quality compared to modern cable.

Would there be any benefit in replacing this cable? If so, what would you recommend? And, is it easy to replace for someone who doesn't know one end of a soldering iron from another?:rolleyes:

Looking forward to your comments.

Rare Bird
05-06-2010, 12:34
I've recently beefed up my system, added new inter-connects and dusted down my Rega, not having played vinyl for years.

The Rega is out-of-the-box bog standard just as it was when I bought it 20 years ago and I notice that the connecting cable supplied appears of questionnable quality compared to modern cable.

Would there be any benefit in replacing this cable? If so, what would you recommend? And, is it easy to replace for someone who doesn't know one end of a soldering iron from another?:rolleyes:

Looking forward to your comments.

Is it a RB200 or RB300? im asuming it's the arm cable your refering too. If it's the RB200 that white woolen covering looked poor from day one, had horrible moulded phono connectors.

sarnies
05-06-2010, 12:51
Andre, I'm talking about the connection to the phono stage.

Stratmangler
05-06-2010, 12:55
Which model Planar is it ?

Scrub question - I missed the Planar 3 bit in the thread title.
20 years old - it'll probably have an RB300 on it.

Rare Bird
05-06-2010, 12:58
Andre, I'm talking about the connection to the phono stage.

Yes the arm leads! Is the arm 'RB200' or 'RB300' being a Planar 3?

sarnies
05-06-2010, 13:08
The arm leads, yes. How do I identify the RB300 arm from the 200? There doesn't seem to be any indication on the deck other than visual and I don't know how the appearance differs.

Stratmangler
05-06-2010, 13:12
Is the arm tube straight ?

More to the point, does the arm look like this ?

http://members.home.nl/koerts/rb300_goldring_1042.JPG

Rare Bird
05-06-2010, 13:14
RB250 were fitted to Rega 'Planar 2' so it's not one of those. 'RB200' is a 'S' shape silver arm, The 'RB300' a straight black armtube like Chrises above

sarnies
05-06-2010, 13:20
Andre, it's the RB300 - we got there in the end!

sarnies
05-06-2010, 13:21
Thanks Chris, that's the one!

Stratmangler
05-06-2010, 13:24
I rather liked the results of the incognito rewire - http://www.britishaudio.co.uk/incognito.html

Rare Bird
05-06-2010, 13:25
Well the problem straight away apart from the cabling is the arm doesnt have a dedicated earth lead, it is a good idea to have the arm rewired IMHO...

I'll leave you with Chris he's faster at posting than me :lolsign:

sarnies
05-06-2010, 13:39
Thanks Chris, that kit is waaaay beyond my capabilities! I think I'll leave well alone, it's not a priority. If I have it done I'll have it done professionally.

Thanks to you also Andre appreciate your input.

hifi_dave
05-06-2010, 18:46
It is possible to re-wire a Rega RB300 but for someone who can't solder it is likely to be a nightmare and could end with the arm being wrecked.

You could return the arm to Rega for it to be fitted with the latest arm cable. Shouldn't cost much.

DSJR
06-06-2010, 11:14
Rega use a rubber gland inside the arm which can be dislodged with botched amateur (and some pro) re-wires... Moth Marketing (Mike Harris) have the tools, Rega jigs and Rega training to do the Incognito properly (I've known Mike for over thirty years and he's a good guy).

Actually, Rega were non-plussed about audiophoolery w@nky tonearm cables. They used a Hitachi internal wire which was apparently a high quality one and the exit leads use good quality screened copper, the RB300 adopting a dumbell grey custom lead which actually makes a fine interconnect if terminated with phonos both ends.

Rega are firm supporters of Klotz wires and the RB700 was exit-wired with one of these cables (similar to the Couple interconnect, which sorted the sound of the Planet/Apollo IMO).

As hifi dave suggests, a call to Rega would be fruitful and i ought to add that if you're using a Planar 3, the last thing you should worry about is tonearm wiring!!! Firstly, get the thing on a suitable support (their wall bracket was the best IMO), check everything for sensible tightness, check and add a few drops of EP80 gearbox oil to the bearing. Furthermore, the motor upgrade kit makes a SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT to the pitch stability and speed accuracy of the Planar decks and if you have some money burning a hole in your pocket, I'd do this.

IMO, re-wiring an RB300 only becomes relevant if the arm is used beyond its original station and on a "superior" turntable system.

Hope you take my comments in the genuine spirit they're intended :)

sarnies
10-06-2010, 18:40
Thanks to everyone for a very comprehensive set of replies. I'll have a check round it as advised and do the motor upgrade at some point.

I still have the original cartridge in place. What would you recomend as a cartridge upgrade?

DSJR
10-06-2010, 21:03
Back in my day, the Goldring 1042 was a hugely popular choice, along with the 1012GX, as at that time, Rega's own pickups were a bit soggy (except the unfairly ignored Exact) and the Grado's to me sound dull and rather bland in these turntables.

Today, Rega's own cartridges have been breathed on a bit, the Goldrings have priced themselves out of the running IMO, Ortofon have a good but "slurpy for them" range of MM's, Grado's are as dull as ever BUT, the Denon DL110 or 160 have found a firm following at their still good prices and Audio Technica have the AT120E and 440MLa.

Obviously the RB300 will mechanically work with a huge range of high spec (and high price) cartridges, but TBH the Planar 3 will get in the way if you go over £200 for the cartridge (use the rega Exact as a maximum).

One final cartridge if you want the sound smooth but *not* bland. the Stanton 681EEE mk3 is well under £100, used to be Shure V15III price in the 70's (£350 today) and sounds surprisingly good today with modern and better decks and tonearms.

sarnies
13-06-2010, 15:23
Thanks Dave, the AT120 seems to have good reviews and under £100 so I've ordered one. The Denons also have a good following and I may give those a try sometime.