PDA

View Full Version : Show us your hi-if graveyard!

Alex_UK
08-09-2019, 18:41
So, we’re hopefully moving house in the next couple of weeks, and starting to pack. Had some stuff in the garage, some in the loft, some in the summer house, and a system in the spare room. Anyway, most of it now together in my “hi-fi graveyard”. A few boxes not yet on the shelves, and another six pairs of large speakers not in the photo. Anyone else this bad with hoarding stuff?! :eek: or am I a lost cause?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190908/7d5caa5eff99a68da26bffa63bdf549d.jpg

mikeyb
08-09-2019, 18:53
Exactly the reason prices are continually rising.

Bloody hoarders

:eyebrows:

:D

Edward
08-09-2019, 18:58
I thought I was bad, but you have the affliction in a very bad way Alex. But I gotta hand it to you your neatness is an example to follow.

mikeyb
08-09-2019, 18:59
Even worse!

An OCD Hoarder

:lol:

montesquieu
08-09-2019, 19:01
My policy is to keep next to nothing I don't use regularly. Leaves more room for records. I keep a small amount 'consumables' like tubes, cartridges/styli and certainly have far more cables than I need (as well as too many boxes full of screws, connectors and other random bric-a-brac), but in general components not in regular use don't hang around.

Alex_UK
08-09-2019, 19:06
I thought I was bad, but you have the affliction in a very bad way Alex. But I gotta hand it to you your neatness is an example to follow.

Just looking at the picture I want to go out there an reorganise the shelves, but can’t decide if they should be ordered by age, manufacturer or component type... :lol: who mentioned OCD? :RFL:

mikeyb
08-09-2019, 19:07
Just looking at the picture I want to go out there an reorganise the shelves, but can’t decide if they should be ordered by age, manufacturer or component type... [emoji38] who mentioned OCD? :RFL:Lol

Alex_UK
08-09-2019, 19:07
My policy is to keep next to nothing I don't use regularly. Leaves more room for records. I keep a small amount 'consumables' like tubes, cartridges/styli and certainly have far more cables than I need (as well as too many boxes full of screws, connectors and other random bric-a-brac), but in general components not in regular use don't hang around.

I took about two square metres of cables to the tip. Still have about the same “just in case”...

walpurgis
08-09-2019, 19:19
Just waiting for Audio Al to chip in. :D

mikeyb
08-09-2019, 19:22
Just waiting for Audio Al to chip in. :DPlease nooooooooooo [emoji23]

Edward
08-09-2019, 19:57
Looks like a lot of Sony gear in there. Are you the new Sony Man?

Alex_UK
08-09-2019, 21:14
Looks like a lot of Sony gear in there. Are you the new Sony Man?

That is true, but I don't really know how it happened! The amp was deliberate, but the receiver and cassette player were accidental in "job lots".

I too am waiting to see Audio Al's response! :D

Ian7633
08-09-2019, 21:18
I've got exactly the same Sony VCR gathering dust, I plugged it in recently to transfer an old video of the band and it still works perfectly, not bad for being the best part of 30 years old. From a time when things were made properly I guess.

Audio Al
08-09-2019, 21:59
Just waiting for Audio Al to chip in. :D

Dont tempt me :eek:

And yes boy do I have some :doh:

Alex_UK
08-09-2019, 22:15
Dont tempt me :eek:

And yes boy do I have some :doh:

Do it! Do it! Do it! :lol:

Macca
09-09-2019, 07:11
Posted this before. In the spring I consolidated a number of smaller graveyards into one big one, couldn't fit all of it in though. Not enough shelves.

https://i.imgur.com/urC6pVx.jpg

dantheman91
09-09-2019, 09:18
Jeez where to start fair bit scattered about everywhere all still in rotation weekly..������

Collected a bit but I haven't looked to buy anything as of late

Graveyard is a while room full������������

walpurgis
09-09-2019, 09:21
We should start another thread. 'Confessions of an Audioholic'. :lol:

struth
09-09-2019, 09:32
Ive got a few things in spare room. 3 sets of speakers, 3 amps, 3 cd players a cassette and a reel to reel...a few other bits... 3 laptops .. em ...not much really ;) shame overload

AJSki2fly
09-09-2019, 09:37
So, we’re hopefully moving house in the next couple of weeks, and starting to pack. Had some stuff in the garage, some in the loft, some in the summer house, and a system in the spare room. Anyway, most of it now together in my “hi-fi graveyard”. A few boxes not yet on the shelves, and another six pairs of large speakers not in the photo. Anyone else this bad with hoarding stuff?! :eek: or am I a lost cause?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190908/7d5caa5eff99a68da26bffa63bdf549d.jpg

I think you have a problem!:rolleyes:

Just think if you sold them all and consolidated it into some nice cash what lovely bit of upgrade kit you could add to you system, if you are not using it what's the point, unless it is for nostalgia.

hornucopia
09-09-2019, 09:56
once had 4 cars.....
though i seem to have sound in 4 rooms now.

Cutting back to 3 currently, if the Ocellias find a home.

walpurgis
09-09-2019, 09:59
once had 4 cars.....

I once had seven. :)

Alex_UK
09-09-2019, 10:43
Just think if you sold them all and consolidated it into some nice cash what lovely bit of upgrade kit you could add to you system, if you are not using it what's the point, unless it is for nostalgia.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking Adrian. Six CD players in there, and I never play CDs anymore... Two cassette decks and two VHS players and don't own any tapes for either! And not had a surround system since 2002!

A lot of it is junk really, but it is fairly pointless it just sitting in a garage not being used... Brings it into perspective when you see it all in one space!

Barry
09-09-2019, 10:58
Spare gear:

2 turntables

5 pickup arms

25 cartridges (at least, maybe more!)

5 tuners

5 preamps

10 power amps

2 cassette decks

1 CD player (with another one on its way!)

but no spare speakers!

AJSki2fly
09-09-2019, 11:01
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking Adrian. Six CD players in there, and I never play CDs anymore... Two cassette decks and two VHS players and don't own any tapes for either! And not had a surround system since 2002!

A lot of it is junk really, but it is fairly pointless it just sitting in a garage not being used... Brings it into perspective when you see it all in one space!

Well to me ignoring what each box is you have I think 20 (excluding speakers) and 2 TT's. So say each one is on average sells for £75 then that is quite a chunk to put to a bit of an upgrade for your existing system. I suspect you may get a a bit more for some of those items. :)