PDA

View Full Version : FS: Fully Loaded BigBottle MM/MC Switchable PCB

Bigman80
04-09-2019, 19:02
Hi all,

As some of you may be aware, Alan, Andy and I, have been working on a new phonostage pcb for the DIY community.

The prototype board you can see here was built with the purpose of testing and fault finding.

This process is now complete and I have no use for this rather lovely pcb.

Its electrically sound and the signal measurements are very acceptable. Although fine tuning (riaa) is possible if you have the requisite skills.

All resistors are 1% Vishay and every capacitor except the electrolytic are Close tolerance Polypropylene, may as well call them matched!

Silver solder used everywhere. Its not been budget built!

Its using the same level of components I use in my personal unit, except for the Wima caps. They were hand selected and measured to ensure their performance was satisfactory. They are well matched, as are the others! The Wima are 10.17nf on the left channel and 10.18nf on the right. Like I said, I've been thorough lol.

I had intended to fit this Into the DCB1, hence the HQ build spec, but I just can't bring myself to mess with the DCB1 yet. I want to wait for a production version of the board.

Also, having no intention of ever using a SUT or MM cartridge, it seems entirely pointless to swap this board for the original BigBottle MC PCB, in my stand alone phonostage.

As this is essentially the exact same circuit as used on the MC version, minus a 1800 Mica Cap which has been swapped for a 10nf Wima, I can presume to say the performance should be equally as excellent, as anyone who has heard the MC phonostage will confirm.

The PCB itself is of production quality but a few little cosmetic aspects will change of the production run. Nothing performance related. Addition of the logo etc.

Anyhow,

I'll sell this for the cost of the parts which is £185

If you want some Mundorfs for the board in the 2.2uf position, add £10 and I'll chuck them in the box for you. Nice upgrade for very little money.

Ill include UK mainland delivery too, coz in nice like that.

Collection : £175

All you need to finish this off is some rca sockets (6), a transformer and something to keep it all in and protected from little fingers.

Any help required on the build process will be available to the new owner.

DISCLAIMER:

As this is a PCB, the sale must be classified as 'parts or not working' which means the onus is on you to be sensible and stay safe. I accept no responsibility for any injury you may cause to yourself.

SOLD!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190904/79c5a0d42d0f2ac924f46dc253014697.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190904/a6e6b1cbd5aa00fbe9fbc90b02ff8194.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190904/2c70780a21aaa1453c36fe36b2c87e6c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190904/28ff90216c432dec420ff368ca284dc1.jpg

Firebottle
04-09-2019, 19:42
Absolute stonking bargain for someone DIY minded.

Jazid
04-09-2019, 20:14
Well you guys would say that wouldn't you [emoji16]
I am independent but doing a trial build as an adequate solder monkey, and I concur. The board is very well made, solid, and parts cost is at least asking price, I have paid more for my (no grander) components. PCC88 and a single ECC83 are the valves, so available and two at least are still relatively affordable.

As mine is not yet complete (we are in prototype territory here) I cannot vouch SQ just yet, but Alan has designed the circuit so...

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bigman80
04-09-2019, 20:14
Absolute stonking bargain for someone DIY minded.I'd say so!

But we would, wouldn't we lol

Bigman80
04-09-2019, 20:17
Well you guys would say that wouldn't you [emoji16]
I am independent but doing a trial build as an adequate solder monkey, and I concur. The board is very well made, solid, and parts cost is at least asking price, I have paid more for my (no grander) components. PCC88 and a single ECC83 are the valves, so available and two at least are still relatively affordable.

As mine is not yet complete (we are in prototype territory here) I cannot vouch SQ just yet, but Alan has designed the circuit so...

Sent from my BLA-L09 using TapatalkHaha, you beat me to it.

Thanks James. The pcb is high quality and yes, sonically it will be a surprise for the new owner, hopefully a good one lol.

Alan knows what he's doing when it comes to valves and phonostages, so that should give some indication of what's in store.

Lurch
05-09-2019, 11:15
Having heard the BB mc stage that Barrington has brought to a couple of my bake offs and put up against my Tron Seven/MFA SUT combo, I would love to have this.
Unfortunately my soldering skills are below that of the average chimpanzee, so I couldn't complete the build.
Barringtons BB held its own against my phono rig, with the only differences being the BB having better bass (extension & definition) whilst I beat the BB on upper detail, extension & air. So it was more a case of different flavours despite the huge cost disparity (BB circa £600, Tron/MFA £4900).
Somebody is in for a treat, a very cost effective treat if they grab this.

Bigman80
05-09-2019, 12:04
Having heard the BB mc stage that Barrington has brought to a couple of my bake offs and put up against my Tron Seven/MFA SUT combo, I would love to have this.
Unfortunately my soldering skills are below that of the average chimpanzee, so I couldn't complete the build.
Barringtons BB held its own against my phono rig, with the only differences being the BB having better bass (extension & definition) whilst I beat the BB on upper detail, extension & air. So it was more a case of different flavours despite the huge cost disparity (BB circa £600, Tron/MFA £4900).
Somebody is in for a treat, a very cost effective treat if they grab this.Wow, that's great feedback!

Who have thought it lol.

Barrington has the very early version of this phonostage. We made a couple of slight changes after that build (Red PCB)

It did have quite astonishingly good bass and LF detail.

The newer MC version (Blue board) has better balance now but retained the bass power and detail. I think it would compare equally as well, if not better.

This MM/MC, board is unheard, as of yet. BUT it could do with a bit of refinement in the RIAA so probably not one for the absolute beginner. I will hopefully get the refinements done (with some help) in the future so that'll mean changing a couple of resistors. If that's out of the comfort zone, I'd leave it.

As I say, that's great feedback. Thanks for sharing [emoji4]

sondale
05-09-2019, 13:22
Pm sent for board plus mundorfs.

Bigman80
05-09-2019, 13:52
Now sold.

Lurch
05-09-2019, 19:49
As I say, that's great feedback. Thanks for sharing [emoji4]

My pleasure Oli. And I look forward to you bringing this new version to one of my BOs in the not to distant future.

Bigman80
05-09-2019, 19:55
My pleasure Oli. And I look forward to you bringing this new version to one of my BOs in the not to distant future.I'll need to build one lol.

Sold the PCB and my only other fully built unit is out on loan. That may not come back lol.