PDA

View Full Version : New Thorens Td160 Super plinth

Papa Dee
30-08-2019, 11:32
Have been meaning to change the plinth on my t/t for some time and happened to mention it to the other half .. she has presented me with an early Christmas pressy

Papa Dee
30-08-2019, 11:39

Barry
30-08-2019, 12:22
Looks great Dee! Looking forward to seeing photos of the 160 fitted in the plinth. :)

Papa Dee
31-08-2019, 11:41
Hi Barry..just got it operational, needs some fine tuning but love the way it looks.. it’s bigger ,wider and deeper than the previous marble plinth

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190831/d0f67f4a0bf343240387757016f607d2.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190831/da58a789d3633668e49c18bb75fc0164.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/922/28mBvh.png

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190831/cc0b7ca4eef9a1b73f50e24e1e9c267f.jpg

struth
31-08-2019, 11:51
looks great dee.. good decks these all the better for a good box

Idlewithnodrive
31-08-2019, 15:18
That looks gorgeous :thumbsup: I:drool:

Papa Dee
31-08-2019, 18:10
Thanks for all the positive comments...one thing I’ve also noticed..is the sound has changed.Its warmer...
as detailed as before but in a more analogue fashion.Has anybody transitioned from a stone to wooden
plinth and noticed a similar change.
When I originally changed from the standard plinth to the marble one I also wall mounted the deck,added
a thicker base board...renewed the springs etc so wasn’t sure what to attribute the new sound to.
This time all I’ve changed is the plinth itself.Not using the previous isolation feet ..have it raised on the
little white plastic spacers from the old plinth.Will experiment with different feet at a later date...Right now she’s
rock steady...and I’ve never had any isolation or feedback issues.

tlscapital
31-08-2019, 20:10
Why do you use a straight tonearm headshell making your cartridge alignement adjustment impossible ? At first it was bugging me with it's "red" ness... But then, it striked me; it's the angle of the headshell that was mesmerizing. As for the "warmer" touch in sound your new plinth brought, I don't get the "warmer" qualification. Can you please elaborate some ?

Doing my tweaks one by one, on a very tight budget, I could evaluate each tweak separately. Swapping my TD160 'Super' plinth to a tailor made one made by a wood craft friend of mine out of thick solid beechwood (spare bits of an old dismantled stair case) evidently enhanced it's looks. But sonic wise I also heard "focus" improvement. Likely due to the TT extra inertia.

The fact that the whole sub chassis benefit from better isolation and dampening could also participate into that improvement. Thus allowing less "noise" pollution from the outside in and from the inside in. That's how I understood that on mine. Adding some spare chunks of marble in the destined thick multiplex base plate afterward as well. Allowing the cartridge to "work" more and more precisely.

Papa Dee
01-09-2019, 07:45
Good morning Tim,I read your SNIFFY comments regarding my headshell and how it’s “redness” offended you and blinded you to the angle of the cartridge that made decent alignment impossible.At first I was minded to just ignore you and your comments but have decided that to do so would merely convince you that it’s ok to deliver contributions in a disrespectful manner.If you weren’t aware that you caused offence
...you are now.If you would like me to elaborate on SNIFFY..look it up. Dee

Marco
01-09-2019, 08:11
Hi Tim,

Not a very friendly or nice attitude to adopt when commenting on someone's pride and joy! I'm sure you wouldn't like someone making such negative remarks towards the things that you own. Therefore, please be more respectful in future towards someone's equipment and their choices.

Marco.

moodybuilder
01-09-2019, 08:13
Hi I had a custom made plinth made from 22mm oak about 40mm deeper with a 11mm MDF base board, I also noticed more bass and more musicality, I found 35mm spikes the best feet. Yours looks great by the way

mikeyb
01-09-2019, 08:40
Head shell does look like it’s aligned at an odd angle though [emoji6]

By the time it gets to the end of a side it’s going to be miles out, no?[emoji848]

Papa Dee
01-09-2019, 09:03
Hi Mike, lol...the picture makes the angle look far worse than it is..believe me the sound is fine...I use this particular combination to play reggae 12” ..the Dl-110 has a great ability to track well but lose crackles and pops from records that haven’t always been treated with tlc.The headshell was a gift because somebody saw it and knew that I love all things red ...it would have been churlish not to accept it in the vein it was
given.Everyday duties carried out with Shure v15 111 in original Sme headshell.

struth
01-09-2019, 09:04
Head shell does look like it’s aligned at an odd angle though [emoji6]

By the time it gets to the end of a side it’s going to be miles out, no?[emoji848]

Yup it is using a angled at shell, that is meant for straight arms. ats it is its hitting record close to twice the angle it should. But hey if it works for Dee then ok..
I'd put a straight headshell on and try it and see if its any better...it should be.

mikeyb
01-09-2019, 09:12
Hi Mike, lol...the picture makes the angle look far worse than it is..believe me the sound is fine...I use this particular combination to play reggae 12” ..the Dl-110 has a great ability to track well but lose crackles and pops from records that haven’t always been treated with tlc.The headshell was a gift because somebody saw it and knew that I love all things red ...it would have been churlish not to accept it in the vein it was
given.Everyday duties carried out with Shure v15 111 in original Sme headshell.

No worries, that’s what it’s all about, personal preference.

I did wonder if camera angle made it look more than it is.

walpurgis
01-09-2019, 09:16
Have you used an alignment protractor?

scotty38
01-09-2019, 09:34
Have you used an alignment protractor?

My thoughts too, if it's right it's right...

amati74(Artur)
01-09-2019, 10:15
26594265932659226591Beautiful thing

p147
01-09-2019, 11:06
Beautiful turntable and finish, is it lacquered and what wood is it?

Papa Dee
02-09-2019, 18:26
Hi I had a custom made plinth made from 22mm oak about 40mm deeper with a 11mm MDF base board, I also noticed more bass and more musicality, I found 35mm spikes the best feet. Yours looks great by the way

Thanks for the vote of confidence...any chance of a picture of the spikes and a possible cost.
Cheers Dee

Papa Dee
02-09-2019, 18:29
Beautiful thing

Your too kind....Cheers

Papa Dee
03-09-2019, 08:08
Beautiful turntable and finish, is it lacquered and what wood is it?

Thanks.. it is lacquered and it’s made from Palisander.. I believe that this is a rosewood and probably
a Brazilian rosewood but I could be wrong about the Brazilian side of things.

Chivas
03-09-2019, 19:32
Hang on to the Mrs, she’s a keeper! And the TT a looker! Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Papa Dee
03-09-2019, 20:01
Hang on to the Mrs, she’s a keeper! And the TT a looker! Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passed your comments onto the Missus and she said to tell you thank you...and she told me she might kill
me but she’ll never leave me....I’m cool with that ..lol

moodybuilder
04-09-2019, 14:39
Here’s a few pics and I think the spikes were about £12 from eBay. If possible can one of the mods enlarge these please.

struth
04-09-2019, 14:43
https://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26619&d=1567607848

https://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26620&d=1567607863

moodybuilder
04-09-2019, 15:02
Thanks Grant.

Papa Dee
07-09-2019, 13:19
The plinth base material is HQ
Birch Plywood with a palisander rosewood veneerhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190907/387eaaaf65b926bbbdf9cd4f91d0fc71.jpg

struth
07-09-2019, 13:26
palisander is German for Rosewood, so the word before the word palisander will give an idea where it was from..all as far as I know

tlscapital
07-09-2019, 21:42
Hi Tim,

Not a very friendly or nice attitude to adopt when commenting on someone's pride and joy! I'm sure you wouldn't like someone making such negative remarks towards the things that you own. Therefore, please be more respectful in future towards someone's equipment and their choices.

Marco.

Hi Marco, never meant to sound offensive in the first place. So sorry if I ever "sounded" so. Although after re-reading my post, I still don't get where it is "disrespectful" as such. It's rather direct that I reckon. Written as I was realizing that it was the angled headshell beyond it's 'red' color that captivated my attention. It manifests that I guess. Afterwards others pointed out that "angle" and alignement factor as well...

Matt_J
08-09-2019, 09:34
It would be interesting to know which alignment it lines up with, it does look rather odd.

Papa Dee
08-09-2019, 10:06
Can we please stop focusing on solving a problem that doesn’t exist..I have always been aware of the limitations of the head shell and if people had read the thread in full instead of picking up midstream they would have seen I explained it’s a gift .. it’s not a problem for me .. normal duties carried out with Sme headshell and shure v15 111.As for comments from other members it doesn’t matter whether they are positive or negative.. to each his own. But the manner in which they are delivered and their purpose is crucial .Contributions from Struth and Mikey b. sought to assist and were I believe in the spirit of this forum.. read #13
I objected to Tim’s comments not because of the content but because of the delivery.. I found his tone haughty...superior..mocking and snide..So Matt I hope that clears things up for you..
Cheers Dee

Papa Dee
08-09-2019, 10:36
Hi Phil.... thanks for the post...they happen to be the exact ones I’ve been using on my previous
plinth....and you’re right they do work well...adding focus and definition especially to the bass.

moodybuilder
08-09-2019, 10:39
Yes I agree I’ve tried several types of feet and spikes but for me these are the best by quite along way which is great considering the cost.

walpurgis
08-09-2019, 11:36
Can we please stop focusing on solving a problem that doesn’t exist.

I'm afraid that is not right. There is a problem. If you choose not to acknowledge it, fine, it's your deck. But there is no way your cartridge can be tracking properly, as that headshell has incorrect geometry for the arm, meaning that the cartridge is off proper alignment by a large degree. Which is what members were trying to advise you of.

Papa Dee
08-09-2019, 11:59
I'm afraid that is not right. There is a problem. If you choose not to acknowledge it, fine, it's your deck. But there is no way your cartridge can be tracking properly, as that headshell has incorrect geometry for the arm, meaning that the cartridge is off proper alignment by a large degree. Which is what members were trying to advise you of.

Hi Geoff your guilty of the issue I’m trying to alleviate...I have never failed to acknowledge the incorrect geometry of that particular setup and have explained my reasons for its use..Please read the thread in full.When I say it’s not a problem I mean I have always been aware of the misalignment hence advice to correct it is not needed.I did ask that the thread be read in full before responding .Its like telling someone
their sweaters too big and they say I know..but it’s a present and you don’t want to cause offence by never
wearing it....I’ve gone to lengths to clarify the situation and I hope you and I aren’t going to fall out over this post...Thanks Dee

Bigman80
08-09-2019, 12:06
Geoff has said what you've just said.

Your alignment (in this picture) is wrong.

You dont care, you are using a gift from a friend.

Members were pointing it out believing they were helping.

You are aware of the issue but have no desire to correct it because you use an SME headshell which is fit for purpose, so there is no issue on a daily basis.

The photo you shared was for aesthetic purposes.

That's about it, ye?

Papa Dee
08-09-2019, 12:09
Geoff has said what you've just said.

Your alignment (in this picture) is wrong.

You dont care, you are using a gift from a friend.

Members were pointing it out believing they were helping.

You are aware of the issue but have no desire to correct it because you use an SME headshell which is fit for purpose, so there is no issue on a daily basis.

The photo you shared was for aesthetic purposes.

That's about it, ye?

Bang on ...simples ... Thanks

Bigman80
08-09-2019, 12:28
Bang on ...simples ... ThanksExcellent.

Now that's sorted,

Beautiful looking turntable. I hope you enjoy it.