PDA

View Full Version : Wtd: amplifier with mono switch!

Pigmy Pony
26-08-2019, 20:39
For my daughter's "suntan" shop, I'm after an amp that will drive four separate speakers, one in each room. I was thinking of getting a couple of pairs of Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 speakers (£39 per pair at Richer Sounds).

My thinking is that I could perhaps put all the speaker cables to the stereo outputs and if the amp had a 'mono' switch we could get the same signal going to all speakers. What do you think? It doesn't want to be expensive (say between £50-£100) and it would be hidden under the counter.

walpurgis
26-08-2019, 20:53
Sounds like a job for a moderately beefy Jap integrated from the eighties. Something from Trio, Rotel or Denon maybe?

Firebottle
26-08-2019, 21:03
Didn't NAD have mono switches?

Metlor
26-08-2019, 21:56
Rotel ra 820 bx4
Has mono switch and speaker outs
Suppose the impedance would be the thing to watch.

Pigmy Pony
26-08-2019, 22:13
Sounds like a job for a moderately beefy Jap integrated from the eighties. Something from Trio, Rotel or Denon maybe?

I was thinking along those lines. Anyone got one to sell?

Edward
26-08-2019, 22:19
What will the source be? Try getting the signal into mono format before it gets to the amp. For example via DSP by mixing the channels. If your daughter will be streaming stuff (say from a notebook) then I'm sure you can use same notebook to mixdown the stereo to mono.

Or perhaps use an AV amp, I think most have a mono mixdown function.

I have a Sony AV amp you can have for free. I need to check if it has a mono function.

Pigmy Pony
27-08-2019, 05:50
What will the source be? Try getting the signal into mono format before it gets to the amp. For example via DSP by mixing the channels. If your daughter will be streaming stuff (say from a notebook) then I'm sure you can use same notebook to mixdown the stereo to mono.

Or perhaps use an AV amp, I think most have a mono mixdown function.

I have a Sony AV amp you can have for free. I need to check if it has a mono function.

Thanks for the kind offer Edward, but I would give you something for it, I'm happy to pay (or rather I'm happy for my daughter to pay!) I need to speak to her again to find out where she will site the amp, and how much space she is able to give it.

Edward
27-08-2019, 07:38
Just been looking at the instructions for the Sony amp and I don't see a stereo to mono switch (or logic that does the same) - only a mono to (quasi) stereo image. Have a look here (https://1drv.ms/b/s!Arf68P30ulKQkT-COr0Awr7T83nu?e=FaEc9Z). This amp has front and rear speaker functionality (A, B and A+B) so easy to drive all four of the speakers with one amp channel per speaker.

You did not say what your source is. If your daughter will simply be streaming from the internet from a computer just change the signal to mono. For example under Windows the mono setting is under 'ease of access'.

If your source is say CD then one idea of changing the stereo to mono is something like this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003WGQUXA). Or alternatively just build one for yourself. Looks like a simple resistor network. Perhaps Alan Firebottle is a mate of yours? :eyebrows: :)

Anyway feel free to have the Sony amp for free (you would be doing me a favour of freeing up some space!). Just arrange a courier for pick up. Or AoS taxi?? The amp whilst old is in good nick and I have the remote as well. It was, in its time, quality kit.

struth
27-08-2019, 07:43
The amps I use have a mono switch to make them monoblocks. Not maybe what your after tho. they are fairly inexpensive.... A lot of pro amp stuff can do these things so asearch on ebay under pro gear should find an amp suitible

Pigmy Pony
28-08-2019, 20:05
Just been looking at the instructions for the Sony amp and I don't see a stereo to mono switch (or logic that does the same) - only a mono to (quasi) stereo image. Have a look here (https://1drv.ms/b/s!Arf68P30ulKQkT-COr0Awr7T83nu?e=FaEc9Z). This amp has front and rear speaker functionality (A, B and A+B) so easy to drive all four of the speakers with one amp channel per speaker.

You did not say what your source is. If your daughter will simply be streaming from the internet from a computer just change the signal to mono. For example under Windows the mono setting is under 'ease of access'.

If your source is say CD then one idea of changing the stereo to mono is something like this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003WGQUXA). Or alternatively just build one for yourself. Looks like a simple resistor network. Perhaps Alan Firebottle is a mate of yours? :eyebrows: :)

Anyway feel free to have the Sony amp for free (you would be doing me a favour of freeing up some space!). Just arrange a courier for pick up. Or AoS taxi?? The amp whilst old is in good nick and I have the remote as well. It was, in its time, quality kit.

Thanks again Edward for your kind offer, but I'm really too lazy to be buying add-ons to make an amp suitable for her needs, I just wanted a simple (for me) option.

After a poke round the Bay I have settled on a NAD 7225PE, which is a receiver. It has a Mono switch, and also a selector for 4/8 ohms, for if you were to use more than one pair of speakers. Should do the trick. Mr Firebottle put the name NAD into my head, so if it turns out to be a pile of cack it'll be his fault :D

My mate has had a NAD amp (3020) since about 1981 and it still works fine, so fingers crossed I'm that lucky :)

Edward
28-08-2019, 20:12
Cool!

I cut my teeth on a NAD 3020 driving a pair of Leak 3020 speakers. Easy to remember model numbers. :) Great sounds from NAD, your daughter will be most happy.

Shoot me a PM if you change your mind on the Sony.

Firebottle
28-08-2019, 20:19
Mr Firebottle put the name NAD into my head, so if it turns out to be a pile of cack it'll be his fault :D

Glad to be of help Steve :ner:

Pigmy Pony
28-08-2019, 20:26
Cool!

I cut my teeth on a NAD 3020 driving a pair of Leak 3020 speakers. Easy to remember model numbers. :) Great sounds from NAD, your daughter will be most happy.

Shoot me a PM if you change your mind on the Sony.

Thanks Edward, will do!