PDA

View Full Version : Cassette Deck Disaster

Rare Bird
02-06-2010, 17:52
Last week i bought myself a Tandberg 'TCD3034' from overseas (Same as this)
http://www.analogstereo.com/images/deck/tcd3034.jpg

. It was sold as new condition & fully functioning. It's arrived this morning, i opened the box with baited breath, at first glance wow i thought. till i gave it a close inspection to find the head cover plastic side clip has been broken off, the whole right side cover fixed to the facia with a couple dabs of glue. Shit i thought but surely i could pick another up sometime.

Plugged the machine in VU's light up al the logic controls work, pops a tape cassette in presses play, heads engague but nothing not turning, wont ff rew nothing but i cansee the controls working telling the machine.

Lid off checked the belts: look fine, tried again the DC motors not moving.Doesnt take a brain surgeon to work out it's like owning a Nakamichi :lol: Obviously the motors duff or even the power supply for it..

While the lid was off i was just admiring what a piece of shit this machine is inside..Straight on the net searching for a service manual i bumped into a bit of info i never knew about, seems this model was built in the far east which stands to reason.

I once borrowed one of these for a week & found for a 2 head machine it sounded excellent, better than some 3 headers i've had in my time! reason i decided i wanted it, sure enough the outside is up to the glorious high quality finish of the Tandbergs.

The burning question being, is it worth repairing!or even bothering, make a nice door stop.

Don't think there's much chance sourcing another motor, service manuals are not worth what they charge to download, it's certainly not worth sending into a service engineer to look at (cos i really can't be bothered with it)..I have complained to the seller but i doubt i'll hear anything, paypal will ask me to foot the bill shipping it back which will kill the cost straight away...

More junk. Boy am i fuming like a man possesed
:steam:

hifi_dave
02-06-2010, 18:49
If you bought it on E-Bay you can raise a complaint and get a refund if necessary or put it down to experience.

I've bought several bits of vintage gear which was supposed to be 'mint' but was really just passable. Either that or it arrives damaged in transit because of inadequate packing. I bought a lovely Ferrograph Series 6 which arrived with a broken head cover because the sender had enclosed the hard back manual inside the lid and it had skidded around inside.

To help take the edge off this, I have just got an absolute mint Sony TC-177SD, in it's original packing, it looks like new. The buyer also enclosed a Sony portable cassette deck as a freebie.

Not everyone is an ass*le....:)

Spectral Morn
02-06-2010, 19:46
Been there guys, been there.

One damaged Revox A77.....nice seller sorted it out.

Sony tuner...broken from the off (duff stereo decoder), rubbish packing... seller not nice... lets not go there again....

Sansui tuner packed with bloody newspaper, thin bubble wrap around the tuner but very little extra packing. I gave advice on how to pack. It arrived working but the fascia was out of alignment, a bulb dead and when I said how disappointed I was about the packing the seller went off in a huff and has not replied to any emails even when I told them I had sorted it out.

Andre complain. Why should this shit seller get away with selling you a pile of crap ? They knew it was crap. Leave suitable feedback if you can't get it sorted and name and shame them here on AOS (if that's okay Marco ?). So no one else buys from them and gets ripped off. I hate this sort of thing it makes my blood boil.

Regards D S D L

Beechwoods
02-06-2010, 20:20
Damn shame Andr'e - nice looking deck that. I can see why you wanted to check it out. You can't take it lying down though - at least hold the seller accountable, even if he chooses not to do the right thing.

Same too about the internal build quality. Poor quality engineering is not what you expect from Tandberg gear.

Marco
02-06-2010, 20:41
Andre complain. Why should this shit seller get away with selling you a pile of crap ? They knew it was crap. Leave suitable feedback if you can't get it sorted and name and shame them here on AOS (if that's okay Marco ?). So no one else buys from them and gets ripped off. I hate this sort of thing it makes my blood boil.

No problem at all; in fact I would encourage it!

Andre, sorry to hear of your bad news :(

Marco.

John
02-06-2010, 20:43
Andre contact seller tell him the condiction its in and that you take action look through the help section around disputes when Neil had trouble with his Marco was Ok with naming and shaming
Its a real shit when this happens

DSJR
02-06-2010, 20:53
I very much doubt it's a blown motor unless the rotor won't rotate. A quick check round with a multi-meter may be all it needs to find a bad connection or regulator (or summat).

Rare Bird
02-06-2010, 21:27
I very much doubt it's a blown motor unless the rotor won't rotate. A quick check round with a multi-meter may be all it needs to find a bad connection or regulator (or summat).

i'm thinking it could be a zener diode or something on the motor power supply.i'll get a circuit & check around, i've told the seller hes got a week to comply before i open a dispute..

Rare Bird
06-06-2010, 15:47
Ok had a shufty inside, changed a few Electrolytics the machines motor is now spinning :eyebrows:

I'm gonna change all the Electrolytics on the PCB, also the Belt wants a change is perished..

I'm also looking for a top & bottom cover (Facia covers above & below the cassette) as the plastic lugs inside have broken, also a set of wooden side cheeks which are probably the same ones used on the 'TCD 910'/'911'/'3014'..Looking for a clear plastic dust cover, instead of the smoked one (Sat ontop)

It's a nice machine with brushed Stainless steel facia, i'll keep this til i get my hands on a black 'TCD 3014'

All's not lost in the end..It does proove one thing, it was not fully operational when it arrived.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/LIVING-SIN/30342.jpg

Spectral Morn
06-06-2010, 16:04
Hi Andre

I am glad you have been able to sort something out but that does not change the fact that the sellers description did not match what you got. Therefore this seller is imho a hood and should be outed. Would you put up with that if it was a UK audio retailer or any king of purchase elsewhere. Should we put up with this kind of crap just because it's Ebay....I don't think we should.

Regards D S D L

Rare Bird
06-06-2010, 16:13
Hi Andre

I am glad you have been able to sort something out but that does not change the fact that the sellers description did not match what you got. Therefore this seller is imho a hood and should be outed. Would you put up with that if it was a UK audio retailer or any king of purchase elsewhere. Should we put up with this kind of crap just because it's Ebay....I don't think we should.

Regards D S D L

The problem is it's been imported from Germany. What they will decide is i'll have to ship the machine back over there out of my own pocket (like you have to) before i can be refunded! Shipping will cost me £25+, tracking never works when it gets out of the UK so i have no proof it will have been recieved. If i did get a refund i've still got the £25 import duty anyway. It's just not worth it, they have you by the balls..I would be happy with part refund to cover the parts etc, but yeas he does want outting.. So in the end i'll have lost two lots of shipping charges + duty, the reason i decided to fix it.You can NEG a seller but he can't you, he'll be getting one thats for sure

Spectral Morn
06-06-2010, 16:47
Hi Andre

Yes I know what you mean I guess I am feeling frustrated on your behalf.

The Sony tuner I bought, that was knackered cost £25 + postage it would have cost at least £15 to send it back...what was the point ?

Regards D S D L

Beechwoods
06-06-2010, 19:43
It's a nice looking machine Andr'e. I'd be happy to have that in my collection, though not to have gone through what you have to get this far.

Thanks for the pic :)

When you get a 3014 I'll be asking to come round and have a listen :)