PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone buying vinyl?

rmcin626
17-08-2019, 11:17
Just wondered if anyone was still buying new vinyl, nothing in the new purchase thread for several weeks.
Is everyone streaming now or just playing their old albums.

struth
17-08-2019, 11:22
Ive bought quite a few strangely enough. Hardly play records but still buy them; its a bad habit im going to get out of...honest:eyebrows: been saying that for 50 years :lol:
of those i bought only one was used

rmcin626
17-08-2019, 11:27
Ive bought quite a few strangely enough. Hardly play records but still buy them; its a bad habit im going to get out of...honest:eyebrows: been saying that for 50 years :lol:
of those i bought only one was used

Just wondering Grant, I knew you would respond. It’s interesting that if you post about turntables or cables for instance there are lots of responses, is the music getting forgotten?

struth
17-08-2019, 11:33
There are a lot of vinyl enthousiasts here but we have lost a lot to streaming, no doubt. I prefer vinyl but with no stick in hand im not very stable and have dropped records before because of it so I have to think whats best for me and the records as i hate damage to my lovely vinyl.
i really need to bite bullet tbh and do it, but its hard to see them drift away bit by bit. Also here, folk are not keen to spend serious money on music i find, yet happy to drop a fortune on gear. Most of my money is in vinyl not gear

struth
17-08-2019, 11:39
i guess im saying that record collectors are not hifi collectors in general.

rmcin626
17-08-2019, 11:41
I’m with you Grant, my hifi exists to play my music. My hifi was all purchased to my budget and what my ears tell me. I much prefer vinyl although I didn’t buy any for about 10 years mainly due to the fact that a lot of the music I like was not being released on vinyl, however now that there is greater availability I have for the last few years been buying again. But of course cds are so much cheaper. I usually listen on Apple Music or Tidal and if I like the album will buy the vinyl release.

YNWaN
17-08-2019, 11:53
I buy a lot of new vinyl - in fact I have to ration myself because otherwise it’s easy to spend more than I can afford!

Two of my recent ones are ‘Yawny Yawn’ by Bill Ryder-Jones:

https://f4.bcbits.com/img/a3238366618_10.jpg

And ‘Anima’ by Thom Yorke:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71HhTG4Vr1L._SX425_.jpg

rmcin626
17-08-2019, 11:56
I buy a lot of new vinyl - in fact I have to ration myself because otherwise it’s easy to spend more than I can afford!

Two of my recent ones are ‘Yawny Yawn’ by Bill Ryder-Jones:

https://f4.bcbits.com/img/a3238366618_10.jpg

And ‘Anima’ by Thom Yorke:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71HhTG4Vr1L._SX425_.jpg

I agree it’s easy to overspend, I bought The Delines latest release the other day and was best part of £25

p147
17-08-2019, 12:05
Not only new vinyl but a new cassettes this week (First one in 30+ years).

Vinyl - Fleetwood mac - Rumours £16
Cassette Tape - Guardian of the Galaxy vol2 £15 :eek:

Both very pleased with.

rmcin626
17-08-2019, 12:07
Not only new vinyl but a new cassettes this week (First one in 30+ years).

Vinyl - Fleetwood mac - Rumours £16
Cassette Tape - Guardian of the Galaxy vol2 £15 :eek:

Both very pleased with.

Cassette that’s interesting, It’s been a few years since I had a cassette player.

Ali Tait
17-08-2019, 12:13
Still buying a bit, but all my vinyl gear is in storage so I’ve nothing to play it on at the moment lol.

rmcin626
17-08-2019, 12:19
Still buying a bit, but all my vinyl gear is in storage so I’ve nothing to play it on at the moment lol.

After changing my turntable, I’m now in the process of bringing the rest of my vinyl out of storage, which has been interesting, finding a few dodgy purchases and some I had forgotten I had bought.

Jimbo
17-08-2019, 12:34
I still buy vinyl but quite selective over what I buy. I buy old and new depending on what I am looking for. I found some second hand old vinyl in even better condition than new!. Modern pressings are very much hit and miss I am afraid.

I only listen to digital music via Spotify which I use for research.

You would be surprised how many hifi journalists and reviewers listen to vinyl and still buy records.

rmcin626
17-08-2019, 12:43
I still buy vinyl but quite selective over what I buy. I buy old and new depending on what I am looking for. I found some second hand old vinyl in even better condition than new!. Modern pressings are very much hit and miss I am afraid.

I only listen to digital music via Spotify which I use for research.

You would be surprised how many hifi journalists and reviewers listen to vinyl and still buy records.

I agree new vinyl is very much hit and miss

scotty38
17-08-2019, 13:34
Been buying the Blue Note Tone Poet series as well as the 80th anniversaries too. That soon adds up along with the other stuff I buy too so my answer is definitely yes....

Spectral Morn
17-08-2019, 13:56
Yes, but not often. Last vinyl I bought was Tosca - No Hassle, Rain Tree Crow, Donna Summer - love to love you Baby.

enrae8
17-08-2019, 15:06
Yes, but not often. Last vinyl I bought was Tosca - No Hassle, Rain Tree Crow, Donna Summer - love to love you Baby.

Rain Tree Crow - Fantastic album !
I buy vinyl all the time - New and Old it's all I bother with, apart from warming up the valves with a laptop playing Youtube or iTunes library

Matt_J
17-08-2019, 17:09
I've had to rein it in a bit with new vinyl, there was more music I wanted to buy than money I had to pay for it! Now I use Qobuz to help ration the spending.

Last couple of years I shudder to think what I've spent on new vinyl.

ReggieB
17-08-2019, 19:31
Since I put a new arm on my turntable, I've been buying vinyl again. Mostly second hand, but some new too. I'm loving playing records. I have a decent streaming system, and buy FLAC files regularly too. I even still buy CD.
I've always wanted to avoid being limited by the media I can play, when getting hold of the music I want to listen to. I've never been someone who has only one source in their system.

I still have minidisc and cassette players in my home office system, but haven't bought any media for them for a long time.

YNWaN
17-08-2019, 19:38
I don’t feel limited by my media - but I only buy and listen to records

mik_rik
17-08-2019, 19:52
https://media1.jpc.de/image/w600/rear/0/0190758273518.jpgDoes this count . Bought for me as a Fathers Day present. Devin Townsend boxed set

AJSki2fly
18-08-2019, 06:12
I am still buying vinyl, but have slowed it down quite a lot, quite a lot of my collection is from 2nd hand or charity shops over the last 3 years and I was given about 350 albums from three friends. I have started to purchase some new, but am quite selective due to cost and quality can be hit and miss. I have recently found Pure Pleasure Records who take the masters and re-release on high quality vinyls, very good IMO, some great Jazz and rock/pop.

rmcin626
18-08-2019, 08:28
I am still buying vinyl, but have slowed it down quite a lot, quite a lot of my collection is from 2nd hand or charity shops over the last 3 years and I was given about 350 albums from three friends. I have started to purchase some new, but am quite selective due to cost and quality can be hit and miss. I have recently found Pure Pleasure Records who take the masters and re-release on high quality vinyls, very good IMO, some great Jazz and rock/pop.

Just checked out a Pure Pleasure Records, very interesting selection, could be spending a few pounds with them soon. Was very interested to see the Sam Dees release, one of the great Southern Soul singer songwriters.

struth
18-08-2019, 08:37
Pure pleasure are dare i say it, a pleasure to use. Some great listings, although not cheap

rmcin626
18-08-2019, 08:41
I agree Grant, not cheap but if the quality is there happy to pay a little extra.

oldius
18-08-2019, 13:30
The price of vinyl dissuades me and that's a shame.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

rmcin626
18-08-2019, 14:30

Unfortunately new vinyl can be expensive

AJSki2fly
18-08-2019, 15:59
Pure pleasure are dare i say it, a pleasure to use. Some great listings, although not cheap

I don't thing they are too bad price wise considering the quality, there are even a few as low as £12.40. I purchased The Groundhogs first album for £12.40 and it's great, I also purchase a few more and have some I still would like.

Wakefield Turntables
18-08-2019, 16:04
Yep still a vinyl buyer. Slowed down a bit, now a lot more selective. I can never resist a charity shop special!!!!

struth
18-08-2019, 16:07
I don't thing they are too bad price wise considering the quality, there are even a few as low as £12.40. I purchased The Groundhogs first album for £12.40 and it's great, I also purchase a few more and have some I still would like.

aye but average is about 25 quid. i dont mind the premium for a good repress tho, like speakers corner

AJSki2fly
18-08-2019, 16:12
But the Pure Pleasure records are re-mastered from the original master tapes to get the best from the recording or at least I thought so. All the ones I have purchased have been excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

struth
18-08-2019, 16:17
yup, thats what i mean

Idlewithnodrive
18-08-2019, 16:46
Still buy about 2 LP's a week, just don't post it, as it tends to fall outside of AoS' usual listening fare.

rmcin626
18-08-2019, 16:53
Still buy about 2 LP's a week, just don't post it, as it tends to fall outside of AoS' usual listening fare.

Does AOS have a usual listening fare?

Idlewithnodrive
18-08-2019, 16:56
From what I see, the majority tends to be Prog, late 60's early 70's Rock / Blues / Jazz, JMJ / Peter Gabriel etc type.

rmcin626
18-08-2019, 17:09
From what I see, the majority tends to be Prog, late 60's early 70's Rock / Blues / Jazz, JMJ / Peter Gabriel etc type.

You might be right, although someone like Grant has pretty wide taste. I’m bringing the rest of vinyl out storage just now which is interesting, a few strange purchases I didn’t realise I had bought. Personally I just like good music, usually people with soul. My last few purchases have all been kinda soulful.

Pigmy Pony
18-08-2019, 17:14

I don't think vinyl prices are that bad, in real terms. When I bought my first album (T.Rex 'Electric Warrior') in 1972, it cost £2.10, at a time when average wage was probably about £25 per week. So a week's pay would get you 12 albums. With an equivalent purchase now (single album, not double) costing less than £20, a wage greater than £240 per week would have you quids in :)

It's the unpredictable quality of new records that put me off a bit though. Having said that I buy more new vinyl than new CDs, my CD purchases tend to be car boot finds.

Idlewithnodrive
18-08-2019, 17:25
You might be right, although someone like Grant has pretty wide taste. I’m bringing the rest of vinyl out storage just now which is interesting, a few strange purchases I didn’t realise I had bought. Personally I just like good music, usually people with soul. My last few purchases have all been kinda soulful.

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no problem at all with other people's music tastes or those genres, probably 10% of my collection would fall into them, and all music is good music.

It's just that, bearing that in mind, I don't think my own tastes would be of great interest to most here.

struth
18-08-2019, 17:50
I take it in turns with genre I guess. Country. Jazz, blues, rock etc. Even classical.
But not into electronica or weird stuff lol

Idlewithnodrive
18-08-2019, 17:57
I take it in turns with genre I guess. Country. Jazz, blues, rock etc. Even classical.
But not into electronica or weird stuff lol

Whereas most of my stuff is Electronica and weird stuff lol

struth
18-08-2019, 18:06
Oops.. No offence. I just like a tune etc. Blues were my fav when young along with zep, Family, Groundhogs etc.
Always was classical and folk(bro), beatles(sis), around too plus big band stuff (dad)
Mum liked Sinatra and I got that off her.
Jazz was fairly new to me in comparison.
I guess what you hear when young can shape the styles u like

rmcin626
18-08-2019, 18:09
For me in no particular order, soul - various different types but not hip hop, country, Americana, singer songwriter, jazz funk, jazz, some mainstream rock,70 / 80’s power pop, I also have some reggae but not much in the way of classical

Idlewithnodrive
18-08-2019, 18:28
For me, it's Psych, Electronica, Dub and Roots Reggae and World / Leftfield Jazz, followed by Alt Indie, Punk and Death / Black Metal.

struth
18-08-2019, 18:39
For me, it's Psych, Electronica, Dub and Roots Reggae and World / Leftfield Jazz, followed by Alt Indie, Punk and Death / Black Metal.Not heard of half those lol

Idlewithnodrive
18-08-2019, 18:43
Not heard of half those lol

Lol !

Wouldn't do for us all to be the same Grant :)

Kit1cat
18-08-2019, 19:12
Not at today's prices, I can get a months Tidal subscription for the price of one LP. Luckily I kept all my vinyl's from the 70's and 80's.

struth
18-08-2019, 19:19
I just cancelled tidal. I wasn't using it enough.

AJSki2fly
18-08-2019, 19:27
I just cancelled tidal. I wasn't using it enough.

I considering doing the same, initially I used it a lot but know just dip in and out. I prefer to put a vinyl on.

rmcin626
18-08-2019, 19:33
I considering doing the same, initially I used it a lot but know just dip in and out. I prefer to put a vinyl on.

I don’t use tidal a great deal either so might be time cancel it

struth
18-08-2019, 19:40
Qoboz have a download sale on at moment

brian2957
18-08-2019, 19:51
I use Spotify quite a lot , however , recently got the GL75 out of the loft and am listening to vinyl again . back on the buying trail again , however I try to limit myself to a monthly trip into Glasgow when I get paid to buy one or two albums . Today , just bought two albums from Amazon though :rolleyes:

rmcin626
18-08-2019, 19:59
I use Spotify quite a lot , however , recently got the GL75 out of the loft and am listening to vinyl again . back on the buying trail again , however I try to limit myself to a monthly trip into Glasgow when I get paid to buy one or two albums . Today , just bought two albums from Amazon though :rolleyes:

Similar to my buying habits, usually in Glasgow one a month and will pick up something

Oddball
21-08-2019, 14:37
I buy a bit of second hand vinyl off the Bay . Mainly albums I always intended to buy or wished I had , Rush ,Yes , Marilllion ,the odd Genesis album I havent got etc
Nothing too minty , or first pressing , just something that looks reasonable enough that I can listen too :)

But I dont expect to be buying new releases somehow :scratch:

Slawts
25-08-2019, 12:13
Still buying and playing vinyl but mostly second hand.

Bought Living in the Past - Tull, Silver Skies - Peter Green, Incredible String Band - 5,000 Spirits etc and the Mysterious Rhinestone Cowboy by David Allen Coe most recently.

I have reservations about the quality of new records and often when I get them play them a few times and listen mostly to the download that comes with them.

I tend to have a large download/ CD collection that I will listen to on the tube or away from home and then play the vinyl I don't have recorded at home.

I have a small but growing collection of high res classical which I enjoy listening to when working from home. Most of it came from B&W's download site when I subscribed. I only stopped because I wasn't listening to it enough but it has some very good music on it.

Joe
25-08-2019, 20:06
Just wondered if anyone was still buying new vinyl, nothing in the new purchase thread for several weeks.
Is everyone streaming now or just playing their old albums.

I gave up on buying new vinyl a couple of years ago, mainly because I was running out of storage space.