PDA

View Full Version : Compare kenwood Kp990 and pioneer pl560

Papa Dee
13-08-2019, 20:05
I’m interested in venturing into the realms of direct drive and singled out the above two t/t’s .Has anyone got direct experience of either of these decks or better still previous or current ownership of both.

spikeyfaz
14-08-2019, 18:10
I've got a Kenwood KD990 which sounded pretty good to my ears. I haven't used it for a while as I acquired a virtually new Technics 1210 mk5g and I've been using this for the last few years. I can't say I noticed any real difference in sound between the two decks. Make what you like of that! :)

The Kenwood boasts a skeletal sub-chassis and what appears to be more substantial bearing than the Technics. The Kenwood also has an end of record auto lift on its arm.

The above is probably not much help but feel free to ask me questions about the Kenwood and I'll do my best to answer.

Mike

Ammonite Audio
15-08-2019, 07:36
I love my KD-990 which is run 'naked' eg without its plinth. These Kenwoods are really graceful, musical decks with a good sense of 'drive' and 'propulsion' married to unerring speed stability - sonically not unlike an upper range Nottingham Analogue deck but with a more propulsive sound character.

Here is a picture of mine, with a 12" Reed 3P tonearm fitted. That combination was so lovely that I have just ordered another 12" Reed 3P for demonstration stock.

http://i.imgur.com/x1RdTu1.jpg

mikeyb
15-08-2019, 07:39
You're just missed one that sold on eBay this week for £495, I nearly bought it myself even though I didn't need it

Papa Dee
16-08-2019, 03:17
Hi Mike
I saw it,it was what made me start this thread.All the feedback has been positive ,very positive.I’ll keep
looking there’s no rush

Papa Dee
16-08-2019, 11:37
Hi Hugo... great pictures.. I think the skeletal option is a thing of beauty and
its what attracted me to the 990 in the first place.Ive done my research
and not found any detractors yet ...Thanks Mike (Spikeyfaz) for your input
I’m familiar with the sound of the technics you have ,as a close friend has the
exact deck and so I have a guide of some kind as to the sound ...although
amplification,cartridge and many other factors have to be considered.
I have a Thorens Td160 Super that I have modified and fettled over the years
and I a very happy with where I’m at with that.. just fancy a change.

karma67
16-08-2019, 12:11
You're just missed one that sold on eBay this week for £495, I nearly bought it myself even though I didn't need it

Me too! Thank god it sold quickly

spikeyfaz
16-08-2019, 20:53
Hmm. I might have to dig my KD990 out and put it up for sale as I can't see it's going to get much use now. There's a spare (non-working) one in the loft which might have to go as well. If so, I'll get some pictures and stick them in the for sale part of the forum.

Mike

Papa Dee
20-08-2019, 05:51
Hi Mike, are the 990 ‘s reliable and are the replacement parts difficult to obtain ....I ask this because you
have a working table and a non working one..perhaps for spares

spikeyfaz
20-08-2019, 09:06
Hi Mike, are the 990 ‘s reliable and are the replacement parts difficult to obtain ....I ask this because you
have a working table and a non working one..perhaps for spares

I'm afraid I have no idea as to reliability or parts availabilty. The one I bought for spares was cheap and had a nicer lid than the one I had. I only got the Technics as I preferred the look! I really must pull my KD990 out and fire it up.

Mike

NRG
20-08-2019, 12:19
They should prove reliable as long as the microprocessor and associated logic chips don’t give up the ghost. The PSU uses zener diodes to regulate the voltage and the transformer is rated for 220v. Given that I run mine from a ‘bucking transformer’ that knocks 20v off the main supply on UK voltage. Our mains can reach 255v :stalks:

Papa Dee
22-08-2019, 07:16
Hi Neal,correct me if I’m wrong...a bucking transformer will regulate the supply at a fixed value that is set
to reduce the supply by a given amount...Do they come set at a fixed value or are they variable.Possible cost..
Thanks Dee

SteveW
25-08-2019, 06:03
In case it helps..
I have a kd750, which was originally Hugo’s (Ammonite)
It died on me and was completely sorted by Chris known as Reddish75 on here.
https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?49644-Wtd-Faulty-broken-amps-other-audio-equipment

He spent a lot of time sorting out components and very reasonable costs.

The deck now runs beautifully

Cheers Steve

Hmm. I might have to dig my KD990 out and put it up for sale as I can't see it's going to get much use now. There's a spare (non-working) one in the loft which might have to go as well. If so, I'll get some pictures and stick them in the for sale part of the forum.

Mike

spikeyfaz
25-08-2019, 07:10
In case it helps..
I have a kd750, which was originally Hugo’s (Ammonite)
It died on me and was completely sorted by Chris known as Reddish75 on here.
https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?49644-Wtd-Faulty-broken-amps-other-audio-equipment

He spent a lot of time sorting out components and very reasonable costs.

The deck now runs beautifully

Cheers Steve

Thanks Steve. If I had the money and inclination I'd look into getting it fixed but nowadays I just prefer to fire up the Technics. ☺

I'll probably get shot of both of them as soon as I can get some pictures sorted.

Cheers, Mike.

NRG
26-08-2019, 08:45
Hi Neal,correct me if I’m wrong...a bucking transformer will regulate the supply at a fixed value that is set
to reduce the supply by a given amount...Do they come set at a fixed value or are they variable.Possible cost..
Thanks Dee

Yes, to a point IE +/- <2%

I built my own following this article https://sound-au.com/articles/buck-xfmr.htm

Not sure of any commercially available units though...

Papa Dee
30-08-2019, 12:27
Hi Mike,if you’re seriously thinking of offloading one or both of your 990’s Pm me ..some pictures would be great if you can find time

spikeyfaz
30-08-2019, 17:56
Hi Mike,if you’re seriously thinking of offloading one or both of your 990’s Pm me ..some pictures would be great if you can find time

I've tried PMing you, but not sure if it's gone through.

Mike

Papa Dee
30-08-2019, 21:53
Hi Mike ,
thanks...have responded.
Dee

spikeyfaz
31-08-2019, 19:34
Well, that didn't go according to plan!

Got my KD990 out from under the bed and took it downstairs and gave it dust and a polish. Plugged it into the Faz hifi and straight away I thought this sounds better than my Technics. Swapped my cartridge back and forth between the two decks (the benefit of detachable headshell) and the Kenwood is definitely warmer and fuller sounding. It's not a night and day difference but the slightly edgy sound that I've experienced with the Technics is not there in the Kenwood. Some of the recent reissued records by the Rolling Stones were a bit in my face before, but now they're more listenable.

I honestly didn't think I'd notice any difference, so just goes to show. I'm wondering if the Kenwood tonearm is responsible as I know some folk have said the Techics arm is a bit resonant.

Anyway, that does mean the Kenwood is not now going up for sale. Sorry Papa Dee.

Mike

Papa Dee
31-08-2019, 20:23
Does that mean that the other unit isn’t up for sale either..
Dee

Ammonite Audio
01-09-2019, 06:16
The Kenwood's arm is much better than its tacky 1980s looks might suggest; indeed it is probably better than the Technics arm, but I've never done that comparison. But, your observations about the Technics' 'slightly edgy sound' are most likely a reflection of its drive system - Technics themselves admitted that the old direct drive system had inherent 'cogging' and their new motor designs solve that. Funnily enough, Technics have now adopted the same overlapping flat-wound motor coil topology that Kenwood (and others) used long ago, to very good effect in your deck (and my KD-990). The old Technics cogging was clearly seen on the polar speed plots done by PaulR over at PFM, which I can't find for the moment. That cogging is a form of jitter which is not measurable by normal W&F techniques, but the tiny rotational stability variations are easily picked up by the human auditory system; and time purity is a key component of musical enjoyment. Your Kenwood does not suffer from such time anomalies and if it performs like mine is by any standard a superb musical deck that would most likely give some very expensive high-end turntables of today a lesson in playing music.

Well, that didn't go according to plan!

Got my KD990 out from under the bed and took it downstairs and gave it dust and a polish. Plugged it into the Faz hifi and straight away I thought this sounds better than my Technics. Swapped my cartridge back and forth between the two decks (the benefit of detachable headshell) and the Kenwood is definitely warmer and fuller sounding. It's not a night and day difference but the slightly edgy sound that I've experienced with the Technics is not there in the Kenwood. Some of the recent reissued records by the Rolling Stones were a bit in my face before, but now they're more listenable.

I honestly didn't think I'd notice any difference, so just goes to show. I'm wondering if the Kenwood tonearm is responsible as I know some folk have said the Techics arm is a bit resonant.

Anyway, that does mean the Kenwood is not now going up for sale. Sorry Papa Dee.

Mike

spikeyfaz
01-09-2019, 11:50
Hi Hugo

That's really interesting stuff. Especially that Technics appear to be using that 'old' Kenwood technology in their new decks!

Ammonite Audio
01-09-2019, 11:51
Not just Kenwood's technology, but a better way to design and build a direct drive motor!

spikeyfaz
01-09-2019, 15:06
I'll have to try and get to listen to one of the new Technics one day. In the meantime I'm going to hang on to both of my KD990s.

hermit
01-09-2019, 16:53
The Kenwood's arm is much better than its tacky 1980s looks might suggest; indeed it is probably better than the Technics arm, but I've never done that comparison. But, your observations about the Technics' 'slightly edgy sound' are most likely a reflection of its drive system - Technics themselves admitted that the old direct drive system had inherent 'cogging' and their new motor designs solve that. Funnily enough, Technics have now adopted the same overlapping flat-wound motor coil topology that Kenwood (and others) used long ago, to very good effect in your deck (and my KD-990). The old Technics cogging was clearly seen on the polar speed plots done by PaulR over at PFM, which I can't find for the moment. That cogging is a form of jitter which is not measurable by normal W&F techniques, but the tiny rotational stability variations are easily picked up by the human auditory system; and time purity is a key component of musical enjoyment. Your Kenwood does not suffer from such time anomalies and if it performs like mine is by any standard a superb musical deck that would most likely give some very expensive high-end turntables of today a lesson in playing music.

I think the Kenwood's superb cast alloy chassis also contributes to it's reputation for being a cut above the average dd deck of the period.

Ammonite Audio
01-09-2019, 17:30
I think the Kenwood's superb cast alloy chassis also contributes to it's reputation for being a cut above the average dd deck of the period.

Well, yes that too! Mine should be sporting its 12" Reed 3P very soon.

spikeyfaz
08-09-2019, 18:50
Another thing I've noticed is that I'm not having to turn the volume knob up on my NAD amp so much. It didn't need to go up much before with the Technics (small room and reasonably efficient speakers I guess) but it's noticeably less now. Not sure why though! :scratch:

Papa Dee
15-09-2019, 15:29
When I originally started this thread I had wanted to make a sideways move to a direct drive deck as opposed to the Thorens Td 160 Super which is my stalwart ,favourite and long term principal front end.
I have owned the Thorens for over 30 years and just fancy a change.
I had narrowed the field down to the kenwood Kd 990 and the pioneer Pl560.I have had a lot of very positive input regarding the kenwood but nothing,one way or another regarding the Pioneer. Is there anyone out there familiar with both decks and thus able to provide a valid comparison and I mean real world evaluation.Not just web based reviews.The field is extended to the Pl590.. Im not sure if there is a massive difference between the two Pioneers.Currently I’m leaning very heavily towards the Kenwood.Any advice greatly appreciated...