PDA

View Full Version : Thorens TD 125 Problem

glenann
12-08-2019, 18:08
Hi All,

Don’t know if you can help, but I certainly need it! I bought a MKII 125 from a guy a couple of weeks ago and just managed to set it up now. It has my old RB250 on it. When I start it up the motor spins, but the platter is very, very slow. The strobe reads about right, but it’s as though it hasn’t the power to spin the platter or the belt is slipping. It came with a couple of spare belts, which I’ve tried and it’s still the same! Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong please? Obviously I’m a little bit annoyed and thinking I might have been diddled, but Petrat on here who sold the TT to the guy I bought it from said he’s pretty straight up..
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

glenann
12-08-2019, 18:19
Just taken the sub platter out and the oil is thick and green in colour! What is the correct oil for the bearing?

struth
12-08-2019, 18:23
No expert on these but I believe there are 3 biggish 40v ekectrolitics. Up around 1000mf. They say replacing these is often needed.
But if you just got it and it was working then it might be more simple.
Has the motor or platter been secured and is maybe rubbing. Are the surfaces the belt runs on clean. Are the belts stretched.

Best I can think of, but I'm not all that knowledgeable of the 125. Plenty folk here are

glenann
12-08-2019, 18:28
No expert on these but I believe there are 3 biggish 40v ekectrolitics. Up around 1000mf. They say replacing these is often needed.
But if you just got it and it was working then it might be more simple.
Has the motor or platter been secured and is maybe rubbing. Are the surfaces the belt runs on clean. Are the belts stretched.

Best I can think of, but I'm not all that knowledgeable of the 125. Plenty folk here are

I’ve cleaned off some of the thick oil. But the platter seems not to be free. When I spin it without the outer platter it spins maybe twice then stops. Is it in need of a clean out and fresh oil?

struth
12-08-2019, 18:36
Oil is another thing. If its been moved etc. Clean out all the oil then put a little in hole and pop the shaft back in. Lightly oil it first. Don't need much oil. If it starts coming out there's too much in.
That saying I'm assuming it's an oil bearing like the 150/60
You can use earbuds to get old oil out

glenann
12-08-2019, 18:38
Oil is another thing. If its been moved etc. Clean out all the oil then put a little in hole and pop the shaft back in. Lightly oil it first. Don't need much oil. If it starts coming out there's too much in.
That saying I'm assuming it's an oil bearing like the 150/60
You can use earbuds to get old oil out
There was oil out of the hole. What oil is best by the way?

glenann
12-08-2019, 18:44
I’ve just read that with the platters on and no belt it should spin for over 60 seconds with a good push. Mine struggled to do 30...

struth
12-08-2019, 18:47
Don't need much. Maybe 5ml or so. If it starts leaking with spindle in wipe the spindle and all oil leakage and put spindle back. Spin it a bit and it will find its own position. It should spin freely. It shod also sink a bit etc. It should be silent too.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F 112161568018
Something like this.

glenann
12-08-2019, 18:52
Don't need much. Maybe 5ml or so. If it starts leaking with spindle in wipe the spindle and all oil leakage and put spindle back. Spin it a bit and it will find its own position. It should spin freely. It shod also sink a bit etc. It should be silent too.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F 112161568018
Something like this.
Ordered, thanks Struth, much appreciated..

glenann
12-08-2019, 18:57
Whatever has been used has gone like soft green blue tack in the bottom of the spindle well.. I take it that’s not normal?

glenann
12-08-2019, 20:05
Phew! Looks like it’s all sorted! I cleaned out the green gunk and until the oil I’ve ordered arrives, I’m using some light oil from the local petrol station. It’s now running very well. I did the spin test again and it went for over 2 minutes... result. Thanks again Struth.

struth
12-08-2019, 21:03
Good it's working. Sounds like there's been a reaction in the well. Maybe an engine oil been used. They work for a while then cause corrosion as there are additives in them for engine cleaning etc. Be OK for a short time tho

Barry
12-08-2019, 21:34
If the TT is running slow, how come the stroboscope indicates the correct speed? Or do you mean the TT takes a long time to reach the correct speed? If the latter, then clean out the bearing well and replace the oil. A new belt may also help.

A well maintained TD125 ought to reach the correct speed (according to the strobe) within one revolution of the platter.

Barry
12-08-2019, 21:40
Oops - seems you have already found the problem. Well done! :)

Even so, I would use the correct oil which can be obtained from Schopper in Switzerland. They are experts in the maintenance of vintage Thorens TTs. https://www.schopper.ch/index.php?page=thorens-td125-spareparts