PDA

View Full Version : Interest Check - Sheffield Bake-Off

Pages : [1] 2

YNWaN
06-08-2019, 19:57
A friend recently introduced me to a ‘space for hire’ in Sheffield (very near the Sheffield United football ground). It’s a really nice space that is reclaimed from a very old building. There is seating available for a potential 60 people. The best thing about it though is the sound of the room which is very well controlled with very little flutter echo and bodes well for the sound of systems. In addition, there is easy access (the train station is a 10-15 minute walk away, or a short £5.00 taxi ride, and busses also run from the station to nearby streets) local parking (free on a Sunday which is what I am proposing) and no issue with noise annoying the neighbours. There are also separate men’s and ladies toilets and the potential to use an extra space that has a small meeting room and a kitchen. Finally, there is a high quality projector and motorised screen if any use can be made of it. All in all it is probably the best demo space I have ever encountered. There are also a number of nearby pubs and lots of places to eat :).

If interest is sufficient I propose a meeting in a few weeks - cost should be zero to minimal. There is a cost to renting the space but it is quite reasonable and it is likely ‘mates rates’ can be negotiated - so I expect the cost to attendees to be zero or, at worst, under £5.00. I should add this is fun, hobbyist, zero profit undertaking - any charge will simply be to cover room hire.

So, if seriously interested, please post below and please also say what you would like to bring, or hear :).

————

Edit and update (23rd August)

The following link (to a spreadsheet) and text has been provided by one of my compatriots in this affair (the planning of all this is down to three friends - but I’m the only one who is a member of this forum).

Link to spreadsheet is here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15uobiiEKbiTrDw_qejRJTWNGSxKTtH-y9Hdbpg-VTd8/edit?usp=sharing

You can add a line for yourself to the live doc.

If we end up being oversubscribed we may have to make restrictions on numbers and gear. Hopefully not though.

The idea is a to get a great spread of quality gear, classic, diy and bought stuff. Ideally variants in each field, valves, solidstate, cd, dac and file source, vinyl, tape, panel and planar speakers, subs, standmounts, compacts, multiway, high sensitivity, single driver, all the options.

We'll work on a format for showing once we have an attendee list and date chosen.

I'll lock lines once they are approved by each attendee.

The Room

The space is located at the Portland Works (the birthplace of Stainless Steel cutlery) Sheffield S2 4SJ.

https://www.portlandworks.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/portlandwork_makerspace3.jpg

https://www.portlandworks.co.uk/roomhire/

The room is 17M long x 5,5M wide and a ceiling height of 3.45 M. with double sockets located every 4.1.M down the long walls.

The room was rewired to it's own consumer unit and the works has it's own substation.

The floor is of suspended timber construction with joists 280 x 70 mm. 30mm thick pine floorboards have been overboarded with 18 mm thick chipboard.

The industrial floor construction and high ceiling gives the room a very neutral acoustic balance.

Mickyricky
06-08-2019, 20:14
Count me in Mark ..I like Sheffield..hopefully no date issues ...I can bring CD player if needed or maybe turntable

Bigman80
06-08-2019, 20:16
I'd happily do the 60 miles for a bake off.

Would bring the SP10, DCB1, BigBottle Phonostage and the Neurochrome 686 and some cables, if that was of interest, if not then they can stay in the car lol

YNWaN
06-08-2019, 22:07
Micky (and others), thanks for your interest but please don’t just say you could bring a CD player - please say exactly what CD player. I can personally organise every type of component, it’s what it is that matters..,,

Mickyricky
06-08-2019, 22:42
Linn cd12

Ali Tait
07-08-2019, 04:17
Yes would be up for it, work permitting. Could bring Bastanis OB’s.

Hap Hazzard
07-08-2019, 06:38
Hi Mark, I'm up for this, could bring a Canary Audio 608 intergrated amp, Living Voice Avatar speakers, a Chevron Audio DDDac 1794 and a Sony transport. If none of this is wanted, I'll attend anyway. :)

The Chevron DAC is worth hearing, it has held its own against dacs many thousands its price at a few bakeoffs.

How big is the space ?

Macca
07-08-2019, 07:18
I'd be interested in attending but would have to come by train so could not bring anything except a DCB1 pre-amp, all my other stuff is too big and heavy now.

mayebaza
07-08-2019, 07:23
Count me in please Mark [emoji1531]

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Blackmass
07-08-2019, 07:30
Hi Mark,
I’m up for it too.

I’d like to hear the Paradise and seeing your thread on PFM it looks like Si (Sq225917) is bring one so I’m happy. The Bigbottle vs the Paradise would be an interesting match-up.

I can bring my witty personality and dazzling good looks?

Jac Hawk
07-08-2019, 07:54
i'm in

maverick2000
07-08-2019, 08:07
date dependant for me, have a few weekends coming up spoken for e.g. 2x FoLs back to Uni, Settle ROff, house hunting with #1 in that there London

YNWaN
07-08-2019, 08:20
How big is the space ?

It’s around 1100 square feet (or 100m2).

https://www.portlandworks.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/portlandwork_makerspace1.jpg

https://www.portlandworks.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/portlandwork_makerspace3.jpg

occasionalthinker
07-08-2019, 08:30
Saw this on PFM first, so have replied there

STD305M
07-08-2019, 08:31
I'd be interested depending on the date.

Steve...

Hap Hazzard
07-08-2019, 08:37
That venue looks cool. Can we commit to a date yet ? That seems to be the question that is getting banded around a lot as people have booked other weekend commitments.

YNWaN
07-08-2019, 08:51
I’ll have to do some checking so it doesn’t clash with a football match (there won’t be any available parking if it did). I’ll check with my friend Paul, he’s in to his football.

Hap Hazzard
07-08-2019, 08:57
Great, sounds wise, football days will be a nightmare for parking, lugging gear etc.

Macca
07-08-2019, 10:27
I’ll have to do some checking so it doesn’t clash with a football match (there won’t be any available parking if it did). I’ll check with my friend Paul, he’s in to his football.

Sheffield at home 18/08, 24/08, 14/09, 28/09

https://www.bing.com/search?q=sheffield+united+fixtures&qs=AS&pq=sheffield+united+f&sk=AS1&sc=8-18&cvid=116B39F1B5A7494E8776B8E67D3F4A8E&FORM=QBLH&sp=2

Spider
07-08-2019, 10:45
I'm interested in coming along.
Just depends on the date.
Put me down for one.
Thanks

gninnam
07-08-2019, 10:51
Depends on the date but should be good.
Could bring a Raspberry PI to show how good it is at playing CD's from an attached transport?
Could also bring some Reiver Jenna speakers.

Qwin
07-08-2019, 12:02
I would be interested in coming Mark, date dependant of course.
My semi active NS-1000 based speakers might be ready by then. Or I could bring just a Nord class D Power amp if they are not.

occasionalthinker
07-08-2019, 13:14
Sheffield at home 18/08, 24/08, 14/09, 28/09

https://www.bing.com/search?q=sheffield+united+fixtures&qs=AS&pq=sheffield+united+f&sk=AS1&sc=8-18&cvid=116B39F1B5A7494E8776B8E67D3F4A8E&FORM=QBLH&sp=2

Only 18/08 is a Sunday, which I think the OP said is the target day. Leave it much later in September and the students will be arriving back in hordes. Lots of Hallam students round that area.

Bigman80
07-08-2019, 13:26
If the bake off kicks off about 10am, parking shouldn't be too badly affected?

Football fans here don't rock up till about 12 at the very earliest

Macca
07-08-2019, 14:07
Only 18/08 is a Sunday, which I think the OP said is the target day. Leave it much later in September and the students will be arriving back in hordes. Lots of Hallam students round that area.

Poxy students. In my day they couldn't afford cars...

occasionalthinker
07-08-2019, 14:21

It's not just the students, it's the fleets of dad taxis descending that cause problems. Sunday is their favourite day for returning.

Edward
07-08-2019, 14:25
I will be one of those dad's dropping of a poxy student in Sheffield around that time. :lol:

walpurgis
07-08-2019, 15:16

They could in my day, but it would be a rusty Morris Minor van or a knackered Austin A35. They weren't worth a carrot back then :).

Hap Hazzard
07-08-2019, 16:30
Hi Mark, just a suggestion, we could do with a list of names up on your first post / topic on who might attend as this has been put across a few forums it might be easier for you to keep track of how many will attend and costs.

YNWaN
07-08-2019, 18:19
Well, I also posted on pfm and my own forum - so not that many. You are right though, I’ll try to do a list. AoS’s forum software doesn’t allow posts to be edited after a day but I’ll see what I can do. I think we will probably need about thirty people to make it worth it.

Floyddroid
07-08-2019, 20:16
Sounds good. I am well up for that as long as it doesn't conflict with HRH Prog in Sheffield. ha ha. I could bring my Sony DDTT if that's not too low fi and may be my Heco's if i can get the loan of a van?

YNWaN
07-08-2019, 20:22
What’s HRH Prog Steve?

Floyddroid
07-08-2019, 20:32
What’s HRH Prog Steve?

Prog Rock festival in Sheffield. it's in October.

Floyddroid
07-08-2019, 20:35
Can you post a link to your forum so i can join?

YNWaN
07-08-2019, 20:52
Blimey, I’ve lived in Sheffield for twenty tears and never heard of the festival - I’ll have to look it up!

My forum is here http://www.audioflat.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php?sid=6c16298b999919a279d1d665a6db7aff

Floyddroid
07-08-2019, 22:12
Blimey, I’ve lived in Sheffield for twenty tears and never heard of the festival - I’ll have to look it up!

My forum is here http://www.audioflat.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php?sid=6c16298b999919a279d1d665a6db7aff

https://www.hrhprog.com/product-category/prog-8-2019-sheffield/

Pepperamip
08-08-2019, 07:37
Now if only I didn't live 3.5 hours from Sheffield I'd love to give this a go. Couldve brought a couple of bits too. Oh well

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Jac Hawk
08-08-2019, 10:47
i'll bring the TT with the Audiomods series 6 and Art 9 cart

willbewill
08-08-2019, 11:45
Prog Rock festival in Sheffield. it's in October.Wife and I will be at HRH prog, plus Rocktober the week before.

Mickyricky
08-08-2019, 13:51
Now if only I didn't live 3.5 hours from Sheffield I'd love to give this a go. Couldve brought a couple of bits too. Oh well

3.1/2 hours isn’t too far ..I’ve known lads do 6/ 7 hours for an event... Sunday’s are generally quite on Motorways ..leave at 8 am and you can be in Sheffield well before dinner ...

Pepperamip
08-08-2019, 14:57
Micky you are right. Actually if any of the Kent contingent what to do a sharesy let me know and we could go up en-masse well 3 more of you maximum

Qwin
08-08-2019, 19:41
i'll bring the TT with the Audiomods series 6 and Art 9 cart

You got the arm fixed then Mike?

YNWaN
08-08-2019, 20:40
Here’s a picture of the space in question that I took with my phone (obviously not an actual camera). You can see Paul is drawing undue attention to himself (no change there ;)) - Si is pretending to be considering something profound and, as usual, I can’t be seen :).

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Assorted/1D18A04F-1988-48E5-A405-07E2E1740130_zpsevls9mel.jpg (http://s62.photobucket.com/user/markemark_2006/media/Assorted/1D18A04F-1988-48E5-A405-07E2E1740130_zpsevls9mel.jpg.html)

YNWaN
08-08-2019, 21:00
Personally, the Audiomods arm and Qwin’s reimagined Yamaha’s really interest me....

Jac Hawk
08-08-2019, 21:05
I get it back the beginning of September Ken

YNWaN
08-08-2019, 21:32
I don’t really understand what has broken? (But sorry it has :()

Jac Hawk
08-08-2019, 21:51
My Audiomods series 5 got damaged in transport going to NEBO 10, it’s been sent off to Jeff to be repaired and while there it’s getting upgraded to the series 6 by the addition of the new arm tube and anti skate mechanism.
The damage wasn’t severe and nothing was actually broken, the arm could have been put back together without the need for any new parts, which pays testimony to Jeffs’ workmanship and design but I thought while it’s there I may as well get it done

Qwin
08-08-2019, 22:04
Personally, the Audiomods arm and Qwin’s reimagined Yamaha’s really interest me....

I'm working on the proper cabinets for them right now, hope to have them finished in time. One cabinet rough built, the second is half way, then they both need veneering/finishing and drivers/stuffing/wiring etc installing. Still a fair amount to do, so fingers crossed.

YNWaN
08-08-2019, 22:04
Umm... okay, I still don’t really understand what was broken, particularly if “nothing was actually broken”, but as long as, in the end, you are happy - that’s all that matters :).

karma67
09-08-2019, 04:27
Hi mark,I’m interested, can bring my turntable Sony TTS 8000 and John wood valve amp

Qwin
09-08-2019, 06:34
Umm... okay, I still don’t really understand what was broken, particularly if “nothing was actually broken”, but as long as, in the end, you are happy - that’s all that matters :).

During transport an IKEA Lack table collided with the arm and when set up it had excessive play around the bearing/mounting point, it kind of floated about. We all hoped something had just popped out and that no real damage had been done. Sounds like the bearing had been dislodged and just needed re-seating, which was good to hear.
Turntables are the worst thing to transport, you can never be over cautious when packing them.

Jac Hawk
09-08-2019, 11:34
I've learned my lesson for sure and exactly right Ken the bearing at the pivot point had pulled out, it looks like it's a press fit into a brass collar but i sent it off to Jeff to give it the once over and makes sure there was no damage, the rest as they say is history.

Qwin
09-08-2019, 13:11
I've learned my lesson for sure and exactly right Ken the bearing at the pivot point had pulled out, it looks like it's a press fit into a brass collar but i sent it off to Jeff to give it the once over and makes sure there was no damage, the rest as they say is history.

Great, looking forward to hearing it with the Art 9 Cartridge, which worked so well in Steve's Sony TT.

Floyddroid
09-08-2019, 13:51
Great, looking forward to hearing it with the Art 9 Cartridge, which worked so well in Steve's Sony TT.

What cartridge? cartridge you say? s this the one in my turntable? I thought it was mine ha ha

JohnG
10-08-2019, 06:17
This is looking like a good day to attend.
I have been wishing to hear my DIGNA Phonostage auditioned alongside a Paradise, as the Paradise is a reference in my mind.
I have recently trialed with my local group, Solid Tech 'Feet of Silence' on Belt Drive and Idler Drive TT's, the positive effect these had was a big talking point, be interesting to see how they work on the DD's.
I also have Audio Technica AT-615 Pneumatic Feet, yet to be trialed.
I can also bring along a PTP Solid 9>Audiomods Series V Micrometer>Hana SL,
also I can bring a Nigel Built NSC and the LDA Quartz Turntable Power Supply MkII, if LDA does not ask for their loan model back before the event.
The LDA Power Supply on the day of trials, bettered my Nigel Built NSC, it has had a very positive improvement on the Idler Drive as well as a Belt Drive.
As it seems at present there will be two TT's both with PMAT 1010's, if I am assuming correctly, one will have a K'b ?, One will have a Vienna Mimic K'b ?.
I can bring along my rebuilt K'b, that was a different option to the Vienna Mimic K'b.
My Cartridge has about 20 hours play time.
I can also bring along 8ft length, Mapleshade Excalibur Double Helix Speaker Cables.
Let me know what will be off interest for the day.

karma67
10-08-2019, 07:53
perhaps johng you can bring some of that phonotherm you were raving about?

JohnG
10-08-2019, 08:55
That was also hovering in my thoughts.
I have done a few deliveries this year at events, so this one will be useful, as another member who wants some is in close contact with another attendee.
I have little feedback on its function as a plinth material, hence it being offered for trial.
It may also end up as Baffle on a OB, as a OB builder has samples.
I seem to muck about with materials of late, more than sit down for extended listening sessions, I do that more at present by attending social HiFi Based get togethers.
I do rate 'Phonotherm' as a Sub Plinth Material and Footer, it has a attenuation effect, but then I really like African Black Wood footers for that effect to, even though they attenuate with a slightly different outcome. Unfortunately to date I have not done comparisons on either, but can only confirm, when the Phonotherm is put into use, the overall presentation, draws on my attention, with more of my favour, as does African Black Woods, but I do recall on one session, using foams and African Blackwood in stacked layers, had a very improved effect .
The 'Feet of Silence' are the most impressive devices I have heard to date used as footers, and their improvement on the SQ of TT's was a unanimous agreement by a the attendees at a day of trials, these elevated the SQ to another level, again these have not been compared to any of the above mentioned methods as a A/B Comparison.
I am happy to make these available, and be shot down on the day, if they fail to deliver with the TT's in use.
The Belt Drive TT owner still has them on loan, and has been auditioning them to other visitors that were not in attendance on the earlier date.
I have read some of the exchanges from emails, and it can be said, these are still being reported as worthwhile additions to the system they are being auditioned in.
As said, it would be good to get them placed under a DD TT for public scrutiny on their contribution.
There has been debate over the past months on AoS relating to two different TT's and there has been preferences for Models stated.
I would like to think that a 30 minute period could be allocated for a mini Bake Off with the SP10 vs TTS 8000.
As these two TT's have been proposed to be brought along, as each of the owners will potentially have the same Tonearm, the PMAT 1010, and the same Cartridge can be used.
As long as the identical Stand and Sub Plinths are used, it should be relatively easy to assess each TT against each other, the SP10 vs TTS 8000, I know this has been done in private in the past, but what was not clear was whether the Two TT's shared the same Stand and Sub Plinth. My personal experiences require this identical mounting as the benchmark condition for any TT Comparisons, as alternative stand types attenuate differently, as well as influence ambient vibration to different effect.
When the audience have been familiarised with each TT and have expressed their preference, the 'Feet of Silence' could be put into service to see how they effect the performance of each TT, and any other TT or Front End up for audition on the day, from my previous experiences, the inclusion of the 'Feet of Silence' will take a minute to add, so these would not delay any proceedings.
As my K'b Cartridge has been professionally aligned for a PMAT 1010, it could be the Cartridge used for the Bake Off.

YNWaN
10-08-2019, 10:25
John, all of that you describe sounds very interesting to me :).

Hap Hazzard
10-08-2019, 11:03
Do we have a date yet ?

YNWaN
10-08-2019, 11:37
No, I’m waiting on input from my two compatriots (one of which has leverage on renting the space) - might see them tonight for a drink and chat (hopefully). I think there seems to be sufficient interest to make it worth pursuing though.

karma67
10-08-2019, 13:09
I would like to think that a 30 minute period could be allocated for a mini Bake Off with the SP10 vs TTS 8000.
As these two TT's have been proposed to be brought along, as each of the owners will potentially have the same Tonearm, the PMAT 1010, and the same Cartridge can be used.
As long as the identical Stand and Sub Plinths are used, it should be relatively easy to assess each TT against each other, the SP10 vs TTS 8000, I know this has been done in private in the past, but what was not clear was whether the Two TT's shared the same Stand and Sub Plinth. My personal experiences require this identical mounting as the benchmark condition for any TT Comparisons, as alternative stand types attenuate differently, as well as influence ambient vibration to different effect.
When the audience have been familiarised with each TT and have expressed their preference, the 'Feet of Silence' could be put into service to see how they effect the performance of each TT, and any other TT or Front End up for audition on the day, from my previous experiences, the inclusion of the 'Feet of Silence' will take a minute to add, so these would not delay any proceedings.
As my K'b Cartridge has been professionally aligned for a PMAT 1010, it could be the Cartridge used for the Bake Off.

its a great idea and one im happy to do,however each headshell will be set up for its own arm/turntable,the azimuth is unique to that headshell,i know mine is,it wont necessarily sound as good in another arm imo

Bigman80
10-08-2019, 13:57
its a great idea and one im happy to do,however each headshell will be set up for its own arm/turntable,the azimuth is unique to that headshell,i know mine is,it wont necessarily sound as good in another arm imoYes, I have to agree. I do have a spare headshell and can bring it with me (date permitting ofc)

However, I'm not dislodging the Kb from my headshell as its far to easy for an accident to happen. John, you'd be welcome to set up your cart (or Jamies cart, which would be my preference so I can hear it) on my TT for the comparisons.

However, I'll just point out that for every one person who likes the Sony, there will be another that prefers the SP10.

Ive done these comparisons in the very conditions you describe. Same Arm, cartridge, cables and platform. I've even had the TTS8000 in a Panzerholtz plinth to see what happened and I'm satisfied with my experiments and results, so if I can lend the TT to cure anyone else if their wonderment, I'm happy to do so.

Whatever they choose!

YNWaN
10-08-2019, 14:06
I think that would be a very interesting comparison.

karma67
10-08-2019, 14:20
i think they are so close it really boils down to how well the arm/cartridge is set up,for the record i wont be removing my cartridge or headshell either. :)

JohnG
10-08-2019, 15:30
The idea of putting the two TT's forward for a comparison is appealing.
I own both, but was happy to bring my PTP Solid 9 and variations on Speed Controllers to add further interest to the TT's on the day.
James is keeping his Headshell firmly fixed to his arm tube, no exchanges are going to happen.
Ollie has a spare headshell, but if he is willing to exchange his headshell for another, then all three availble variants of the K'b can be listened to, as my MS-9>K'b has been set up by Angus for a Angus Serviced SP10>PMAT 1010.
If Ollie is not willing to exchange a headshell, and hearing all three versions of the K'b is seen as the more valued part of the day, over hearing the PTP Solid 9, then I will bring my SP10 along in place of the PTP.
Is somebody else were to bring a Idler Drive, I will be more than happy to continue with making the two types of speed controller available.
Over the past year, I have been involved in proposing a few ideas for a Bake Off, as well as contributing to supplying devices for other organised Bake Offs.
From my end, they have all proved to be great fun, worthwhile attending, and in many cases certain devices, left strong memories through their performances, that are shaping how I perceive a replay should be produced.
Just not to leave the Digital front end out, if a Digital COAX or USB can be used on a front end, I can bring my Custom Built, Valve Power regulated, Valve Output DAC along.
This was getting serious interest at Kegworth when it was attached to a £40 used value CDP.
Note: I have only used the Digital COAX, so can not vouch for the USB, but If it all functions as should, I'm sure it will deliver a performance that will create a interest.

Bigman80
10-08-2019, 17:11
The idea of putting the two TT's forward for a comparison is appealing.
I own both, but was happy to bring my PTP Solid 9 and variations on Speed Controllers to add further interest to the TT's on the day.
James is keeping his Headshell firmly fixed to his arm tube, no exchanges are going to happen.
Ollie has a spare headshell, but if he is willing to exchange his headshell for another, then all three availble variants of the K'b can be listened to, as my MS-9>K'b has been set up by Angus for a Angus Serviced SP10>PMAT 1010.
If Ollie is not willing to exchange a headshell, and hearing all three versions of the K'b is seen as the more valued part of the day, over hearing the PTP Solid 9, then I will bring my SP10 along in place of the PTP.
Is somebody else were to bring a Idler Drive, I will be more than happy to continue with making the two types of speed controller available.
Over the past year, I have been involved in proposing a few ideas for a Bake Off, as well as contributing to supplying devices for other organised Bake Offs.
From my end, they have all proved to be great fun, worthwhile attending, and in many cases certain devices, left strong memories through their performances, that are shaping how I perceive a replay should be produced.
Just not to leave the Digital front end out, if a Digital COAX or USB can be used on a front end, I can bring my Custom Built, Valve Power regulated, Valve Output DAC along.
This was getting serious interest at Kegworth when it was attached to a £40 used value CDP.
Note: I have only used the Digital COAX, so can not vouch for the USB, but If it all functions as should, I'm sure it will deliver a performance that will create a interest.Yep, I'm willing to trade a head shell. Drop me a PM with your Plan, John

Jimbo
10-08-2019, 17:49
Might come along to this one Mark if the date is OK?:cool:

Wakefield Turntables
10-08-2019, 18:13
Mark,

Can I come along?

Thanks

A

YNWaN
10-08-2019, 19:10
Yes, of course, more than welcome.

YNWaN
10-08-2019, 19:32
Well I’ve just done a tally of all those who have expressed interest in attending and we already have thirty, so I think this is definitely a goer :).

Bigman80
10-08-2019, 20:24
Well I’ve just done a tally of all those who have expressed interest in attending and we already have thirty, so I think this is definitely a goer :).Coolio, now all we need is a date!

YNWaN
10-08-2019, 21:39
Working on it

JohnG
11-08-2019, 06:21
If 30 is the head count and all attendees can be available for the date to be offered, with any +1's the attendance could creep up to 40ish :eek:, that's a room full of buzzing anticipation.

FidelityArt
11-08-2019, 19:41
Hi,

Do you have a date, Mark? I’m interested.

YNWaN
11-08-2019, 19:49
Yeah, some will drop out, others will drop in - 30 to 40 does seem likely.

I’ve no date yet Chris, but I did speak to my friend Paul and he is going to speak to the lady who rents out the room and see when is available (you would be very welcome).

FidelityArt
11-08-2019, 19:59
Great! Thanks.

I can bring my TT if you’re interested.

YNWaN
11-08-2019, 22:05
Voyd?

What’s happened to your website Chris - it doesn’t seem to exist anymore?

Matt_J
12-08-2019, 18:53
Date dependant, I could bring one of Kit Ryan's phono stages, I'd love to hear it next to a paradise.

YNWaN
12-08-2019, 19:35
Is that his latest Matt?

Matt_J
12-08-2019, 20:20
Yes his current production unit, which I believe is final, as is the loan unit doing the rounds.

YNWaN
13-08-2019, 11:05
Excellent - that would be a very welcome addition :).

itskeith
16-08-2019, 09:23
Hi Everyone,

I'm interested, depending on the date.
Especially if the front end is an SP10 / Phonomac AT1010 (Big fan of both) :)

freefallrob
16-08-2019, 10:27
I would certainly be interested in attending date dependent of course.

Mickyricky
17-08-2019, 06:10
I would certainly be interested in attending date dependent of course.
With Pavalova in hand I hope ����

Hap Hazzard
17-08-2019, 12:19
With Pavalova in hand I hope ����

Not if he has a Weepin Willie in the other.:lol:

https://youtu.be/FTuULDGCiOc

freefallrob
17-08-2019, 13:43
Not if he has a Weepin Willie in the other.:lol:

https://youtu.be/FTuULDGCiOc

😂

Marco
18-08-2019, 21:42
AoS’s forum software doesn’t allow posts to be edited after a day but I’ll see what I can do.

Scratch that. I've now altered your permissions, so you have unlimited thread/post editing. Please check that it works:)

In terms of the bake-off, I may be interested in coming, in which case I could bring Macca, as I'd have the car [and my T/T and Croft preamp]... BUT. I'd need to know the proposed date, as otherwise mate, it's all just 'pie in the sky'!;)

Marco.

YNWaN
19-08-2019, 11:01
Oh, cool, cheers Marco, much appreciated and the two of you would be quite welcome :). I’m rather waiting on my friend Paul to sort out a date as he knows the lady who rents the space out - I’ll text him and see how he’s getting along....

Marco
19-08-2019, 13:12
Good stuff, Mark. Haven't been to a little hi-fi 'shindig' in ages, so if the date's ok, it could be fun:cool:

Marco.

Hap Hazzard
21-08-2019, 07:25
Do we have a date yet Mark.

Marco
21-08-2019, 07:54
Yeah, with respect mate, waiting for one seems to be dragging on forever!:doh:

I could organise a world tour by bicycle quicker!!:lol:

Marco.

YNWaN
21-08-2019, 08:27
Please see post #88

Marco
21-08-2019, 09:02
Lol... Yes, I read that. That was 2 days ago. So has he received your text, and if so, what was the outcome?:)

Sorry, Mark, I don't get why it has taken over two weeks (from when you started this thread) simply to work out a date....:hmm:

Marco.

YNWaN
21-08-2019, 10:34
Well I’ve had no response to my text so I don’t know is the answer.

With respect Marco (as you say), the organisation of this bake-off isn’t the only thing I’ve got to do (or Paul's no doubt) and, as you mention it, when was the last one you organised? Perhaps you are saving yourself for the long fabled AoS show... have you got a date for that yet, we've been waiting years (not weeks) for that?

Marco
21-08-2019, 10:50
Lol - I knew you'd bring that up!:D

It's slightly different organising a show, on the scale of Scalford, and a small get-together for a few peeps...

IMHO, it would've been better finding out from your mate what dates were available at the venue FIRST, then posting a thread offering those dates to whoever was available, rather than spending over two weeks gauging potential interest, only to be no further forward since.

Anyway, I'll leave it with you:)

Marco.

freefallrob
21-08-2019, 11:23
This is going well then, fine helpful input there Marco.....:doh:

Marco
21-08-2019, 12:28
Ha - just a well-intended little dig, which hopefully will chivvy things along a bit now!;)

Marco.

SAP7
21-08-2019, 12:35
I’m up for this.
I think I’m free in 2021.

I can bring popcorn.

Jac Hawk
21-08-2019, 16:21
Lol - I knew you'd bring that up!:D

It's slightly different organising a show, on the scale of Scalford, and a small get-together for a few peeps...

I would disagree, a large show is easy, you get a venue and then book a Saturday / Sunday not at Christmas or in the middle of holiday season and publicise the hell out of it, knowing that as long as the venue you have booked is relatively easy to get to by most folks then you're on to a winner, whereas a small bake off you really do need to consider the people who would potentially want to come and their calendar, with a big show if 50 people can't make it then it's no big deal, but with a bake off if 5 or 10 people can't attend then it may be a none starter.

Just my opinion

SAP7
21-08-2019, 16:36
So back to the date then...

maverick2000
21-08-2019, 17:11
I would disagree, a large show is easy, you get a venue and then book a Saturday / Sunday not at Christmas or in the middle of holiday season and publicise the hell out of it, knowing that as long as the venue you have booked is relatively easy to get to by most folks then you're on to a winner, whereas a small bake off you really do need to consider the people who would potentially want to come and their calendar, with a big show if 50 people can't make it then it's no big deal, but with a bake off if 5 or 10 people can't attend then it may be a none starter.

Just my opinionunless it snows! most bake-offs are oversubscribed (often with a subs bench) and really no outlay / risk

Bigman80
21-08-2019, 17:37
Oversubscribed and under attended.

Expect half the number that "confirm" as loads drop out nearer the time.

karma67
21-08-2019, 17:52
im hoping to go but need to book a dog sitter for overnight.

maverick2000
21-08-2019, 17:56
Oversubscribed and under attended.

Expect half the number that "confirm" as loads drop out nearer the time.really? which one are you referring to?

Bigman80
21-08-2019, 18:45
really? which one are you referring to?I've been to few matey and there's always an enthusiastic "oh, I'm well up for that" looking like you have 40 people and they'll be queuing outside. By the time it comes round a number of factors just prevent people coming.

As soon as the date is announced 25% will drop off.

Sun is blazing: That's another load that won't come and don't say so.

Last minute issues too, cars breakdown etc.

It's just a fact of get together in general, not specific to bake offs, but I've seen it happen on multiple occasions.

Qwin
21-08-2019, 18:52
I'm glad its taking time to sort.
It means I might get the speakers finished in time.
Got the cabinets built, the veneer arrives tomorrow. Hide glue on Friday. :)

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/Yam_Rev/YamRev_Cabinet.pdf

maverick2000
22-08-2019, 06:38
I've been to few matey and there's always an enthusiastic "oh, I'm well up for that" looking like you have 40 people and they'll be queuing outside. By the time it comes round a number of factors just prevent people coming.

As soon as the date is announced 25% will drop off.

Sun is blazing: That's another load that won't come and don't say so.

Last minute issues too, cars breakdown etc.

It's just a fact of get together in general, not specific to bake offs, but I've seen it happen on multiple occasions.
I'll bow to your greater experience as I've probably been to only just over 30 now over the last 5 years or so, the last one was in blazing sunshine and as far as I know, nobody dropped out.

Bigman80
22-08-2019, 07:20
I'll bow to your greater experience as I've probably been to only just over 30 now over the last 5 years or so, the last one was in blazing sunshine and as far as I know, nobody dropped out.

You must be right, as you've been to so many in a short space of time. I'm glad you're here to advise.

walpurgis
22-08-2019, 07:26
Got the cabinets built, the veneer arrives tomorrow. Hide glue on Friday. :)

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/Yam_Rev/YamRev_Cabinet.pdf

Cabinets look very good Ken. Have you considered veneering or laminating the interior faces to provide an extra contrained layer?

Blackmass
22-08-2019, 07:43
It would be nice if folk could be civil to each other. I think we all could do without the snide remarks too!

I was looking forward to this Bake-off but the attitude of some people on here really piss me off!

Bigman80
22-08-2019, 08:15
im hoping to go but need to book a dog sitter for overnight.Do they do that? I had no idea that was a thing!

Bigman80
22-08-2019, 08:18
It would be nice if folk could be civil to each other. I think we all could do without the snide remarks too!

I was looking forward to this Bake-off but the attitude of some people on here really piss me off!Yup.

Seems to be a bit of it about at the minute. Wonder if it's the lack of decent weather this year or that people are new and don't know the ethos of the site.

smangus
22-08-2019, 08:57
The thread is marked as an intrest check so I wouldn't necessarily expect a date set really. Don't think 2 weeks is a long time either. I'd be interested btw depending on date and train fares! [emoji846]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Marco
22-08-2019, 10:37

I was looking forward to this Bake-off but the attitude of some people on here really piss me off!

Hi Rob,

Please quote examples of what you're referring to, so that something can be done about it. I'm certainly unaware of the behaviour you're referring to, or for that matter, what Ollie has agreed with. I hope it's not the little dig I had at Mark earlier, as that was just banter!

Marco.

Bigman80
22-08-2019, 10:45
Hi Rob,

Please quote examples of what you're referring to, so that something can be done about it. I'm certainly unaware of the behaviour you're referring to, or for that matter, what Ollie has agreed with. I hope it's not the little dig I had at Mark earlier, as that was just banter!

Marco.I agreed with Rob because there has been a bit of it about lately. A few sarcastic or strategically placed digs. The one like "Mavericks" above smacked of sarcasm for instance, it was only lacking a rolling eyes emoji for confirmation, but I was talking on a wider scale than just AoS actually.

If it was anything I felt that strongly about, I'd have reported it or savaged someone, as I'm one to do. So don't worry too much.

Your comment could easily have been taken out of the context it was meant btw. I presume Mark understood it was banter but as we don't know your relationship it could be viewed either way by the populus.

Like I say, I felt robs observation was in line with my own, so agreed.

Marco
22-08-2019, 10:56
That's fair enough, Ollie. Always report real examples of unacceptable behaviour to either myself or one of the mods. Never "savage" anyone, as you'll end up in as much trouble as the initial perpetrator!;)

I await to find out what Rob is specifically referring to. In instances like this, I'd prefer it if folk spat out exactly what they meant, so that something can be done about it, rather than simply made vague references. Or otherwise say nothing, as all it amounts to is a moan. And we don't like moaners!

Yes, what I engaged Mark in earlier was just a little bit of banter between friends, which I'm sure is how he took it. We've known each other for years, so he knows the score!:eyebrows:

And if I'm gently breaking someones balls, or engaging them in banter, then that's between them and me; not for others to judge, especially when they don't know the relationship. And since we're on the subject, one of my pet hates are people who take themselves way too seriously, are often easily offended, and too uptight to have a laugh. Dudes, you need to lighten up!

Remember folks, this is just hi-fi, not life or death;)

Marco.

Bigman80
22-08-2019, 11:17
That's fair enough, Ollie. Always report real examples of unacceptable behaviour to either myself or one of the mods. Never "savage" anyone, as you'll end up in as much trouble as the initial perpetrator!;)

I await to find out what Rob is specifically referring to. In instances like this, I'd prefer it if folk spat out exactly what they meant, so that something can be done about it, rather than simply made vague references. Or otherwise say nothing, as all it amounts to is a moan. And we don't like moaners!

Yes, what I engaged Mark in earlier was just a little bit of banter between friends, which I'm sure is how he took it. We've known each other for years, so he knows the score!:eyebrows:

And if I'm gently breaking someones balls, or engaging them in banter, then that's between them and me; not for others to judge, especially when they don't know the relationship. And since we're on the subject, one of my pet hates are people who take themselves way too seriously, are often easily offended, and too uptight to have a laugh. Dudes, you need to lighten up!

Remember folks, this is just hi-fi, not life or death;)

Marco.Ha, yes, savage may be a bit... Well... Savage lol.

I'd address it there and then anyway.

Thing is when you post on a forum, that comment will always be judged, it's the nature of the beast.

Anyway, like you say, it's only a forum!

Marco
22-08-2019, 11:26
Well, by the same token, if you judge it wrongly, then don't be afraid to be told so!:ner:;)

Marco.

Bigman80
22-08-2019, 12:37
Well, by the same token, if you judge it wrongly, then don't be afraid to be told so!:ner:;)

Marco.Absolutely!

karma67
22-08-2019, 17:05
Do they do that? I had no idea that was a thing!

sorry,what i meant was dog minders,ie you take the dog to them.

Bigman80
22-08-2019, 17:14
sorry,what i meant was dog minders,ie you take the dog to them.Ah I see, I thought it was strange letting dog sitters stay in your house lol

karma67
22-08-2019, 17:27
Ah I see, I thought it was strange letting dog sitters stay in your house lol

especially with all that porn under the bed!

Bigman80
22-08-2019, 17:36
especially with all that porn under the bed!Lmao

Firebottle
22-08-2019, 19:16
Ah I see, I thought it was strange letting dog sitters stay in your house lol

I do know of a couple that do that very thing, it also gives much greater security while the couple are away.

Bigman80
22-08-2019, 19:24
I do know of a couple that do that very thing, it also gives much greater security while the couple are away.What!!! Kipping in me bed! Doing gawd knows what.

Bonkers

Firebottle
22-08-2019, 20:47
They have a spare bedroom .........

Bigman80
22-08-2019, 21:47
They have a spare bedroom .........Ah, makes sense.

Qwin
22-08-2019, 23:37
Cabinets look very good Ken. Have you considered veneering or laminating the interior faces to provide an extra contrained layer?

No I hadn't, I don't know if that would make much difference as the inner Ply is multiple layers, its not something I've come across before. I just went for 12+12mm thicknesses of the MDF/Birch ply. The ply is stiffer, the MDF easier to machine/finish. The combination seems very dead when you give it a wack.

The veneer arrived today, four eight foot sheets, plus the kilo of hide glue also arrived early. I made a glue pot/warmer from a used babies bottle warmer so I'm almost ready to start.

The hammer/hide glue is a new process for me so a bit of practice is required, I have some small full range speakers I use for testing purposes, in plain MDF boxes, they will get some veneer now. I intend to route the edges with a round over bit after veneering, R8 or R10 (sizes I already have). This is why I've gone for hide glue, it machines well without clogging the cutter, wont leave a witness line where it is cut at an acute angle, as its almost invisible being clear, plus it accepts wood stain, unlike most other glues. The small test speakers will also allow me to try out some dying techniques for the exposed MDF edges after the rads are cut. I've seen some of the things they do with MDF furniture by feathering in the edges with a dark stain, it blends the exposed MDF with the veneer and gives an aged look at the same time. Bit like these:

http://www.salksound.com/gallery/Exotica%20Monitors/2.jpg

karma67
23-08-2019, 10:19
ken if you need any advice about veneering using hide glue let me know,i used to use it all the time when making and restoring furniture.
a few pointers though,you dont want your iron too hot,spit on the iron and your spit should just start to bubble.
apply glue to both surfaces,let it tack off before starting.start in the middle and work outwards towards the edges,do one half first then the other.
sorry if you know this already.

Qwin
23-08-2019, 12:44
ken if you need any advice about veneering using hide glue let me know,i used to use it all the time when making and restoring furniture.
a few pointers though,you dont want your iron too hot,spit on the iron and your spit should just start to bubble.
apply glue to both surfaces,let it tack off before starting.start in the middle and work outwards towards the edges,do one half first then the other.
sorry if you know this already.

Thanks Jamie, I've seen lots of Vids on Youtube, they make it look easy, but I know this is not the case. A bit of skill and experience is required. Got myself a veneer hammer with approx 5" blade and have an old electric dry iron for jobs like this. Some folks use an iron some don't, I suppose it depends how quick you can get the glue on to the fairly large surfaces and remain workable. Tips I've picked up are: Pre coat the edges of MDF etc and let it dry before starting, it absorbs a lot of glue and can lift at the edges if you dont. Coat both surfaces and both sides of the veneer, this stops it curling and helps fill any grain/cracks, plus it lubricates the hammer when rubbing down. Like you suggest always start in the middle and work outward in the direction of the grain as much as possible.

I just cut the 8' sheets down into pieces about 1" bigger than the panels, sorted a pair of nice pieces for the fronts and matched the grain to continue over on to the tops.
I have about a foot left from each sheet so can practice a bit first.

There is a member of this parish that has built two sets of my "Upgraded" semi active NS-1000M's, he is in Malaysia. He is very happy with them, though he gave up on the hide glue after a couple of attempts and resorted to contact cement. This was ok for him as he wanted square edges. The finished items look very nice. It was strange advising him on building the cabinets, when I hadn't built my own, but I was using tried and trusted techniques, plus I had built a chip board prototype that worked great.

I shouldn't really be monopolising this thread with my speaker stuff, but it's relevant in as much as I'm hoping to take them to this meeting - and it will keep folks amused till a date is set. I will start a thread when I complete everything and summarise the final design, which has been 3 years work to get to where I am.

karma67
23-08-2019, 13:03
yep it seems like your ready to go, soak the glue granules over night helps too and do let the glue tack off before you start.
remeber if you bugger it up its easy to take it off and start again,one of the benefits of hide glue,i used to buy old knackered chest of drawers purely for the old veneer.

Qwin
23-08-2019, 13:24
yep it seems like your ready to go, soak the glue granules over night helps too and do let the glue tack off before you start.
remeber if you bugger it up its easy to take it off and start again,one of the benefits of hide glue,i used to buy old knackered chest of drawers purely for the old veneer.

Ah, yes of course, I need to soak the glue prior to heating it, looks like my first attempt will be tomorrow.
I have a pickle jar that fits into the babies bottle warmer, I'll use that as a glue pot. The warmer is adjustable and with the rotary control rotated about 2/3 of its movement it maintains about 60 deg C, cycling on the stat between 58 and 62 deg C. I understand 60 deg is the optimum glue temp.
I like your recycling of the old veneer. :D
This seems a very versatile process, which is why I would like to get the hang of it.

Mickyricky
23-08-2019, 15:04
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15uobiiEKbiTrDw_qejRJTWNGSxKTtH-y9Hdbpg-VTd8/htmlview
It seems that we may dates ..this is on PFM..Choose one of 13 Oct or 20 Oct or 17 Nov..

YNWaN
23-08-2019, 16:08
Please see post #1 of this thread which I have now updated to include a few more details and an interactive, on-line spreadsheet that those interested could (please) fill in - thanks :).

JohnG
23-08-2019, 18:41
I'm on the spreadsheet.
A few items I am willing to bring, will be if there is a interest shown for auditioning them, as the day will be a full schedule, so no point in shortening other attendees auditions, by connecting up items that are not on any attendees curiosity list.

gninnam
23-08-2019, 19:16
Please see post #1 of this thread which I have now updated to include a few more details and an interactive, on-line spreadsheet that those interested could (please) fill in - thanks :).

Cannot edit it using my Mac Book.
Plus - I thought the spreadsheet would show things people were bringing and not a list of what you have?
Or have I miss read it?

Macca
23-08-2019, 19:23
Cannot edit it using my Mac Book.
Plus - I thought the spreadsheet would show things people were bringing and not a list of what you have?
Or have I miss read it?

Everyone before me seemed to have just filled in what they were using right now so I just did the same. There wasn't room to list everything. Was that not the idea? And then a shortlist would be made up? Otherwise I don't know.

Qwin
23-08-2019, 19:56
I filled in what I will be bringing.

karma67
24-08-2019, 05:25
I filled in what I will be bringing.

thats what i did,perhaps we should have done what macca said above?

Qwin
24-08-2019, 07:42
No where does it ask you to list what gear you have, I just presumed like other events I've attended, you should list what you want to bring.
Can't see the point in listing things you don't want to bring.

Bit of clarification needed here Mark?

Bigman80
24-08-2019, 08:01
I believe the list is for what you will bring so the organisers can organise some sort of running order for the day.

That's how I read the posts elsewhere.

Seems odd to list stuff that you aren't taking.

Qwin
24-08-2019, 08:11
+1

karma67
24-08-2019, 08:27
yep put like that it becomes obvious :cool:

gninnam
24-08-2019, 08:39
OK - so it is a list of what people are bringing (I thought it was supposed to be that, just that the amount of kit put down so far seemed a lot :doh:).

Will see if I can edit the file on another machine in the house :)

YNWaN
24-08-2019, 08:40
Yep, it’s not to list everything you own - just that which which you could bring so a running order can be created (as Oliver says).

JohnG
24-08-2019, 09:25
The Venue is well described,It looks like it could have a very nice acoustic.
As it is new venue for most showing a interest, a little more local knowledge will help with preparations.
Any updates on how the parking will work?
In my case I will have approximately a 3.5 hr road journey. I'm sure there are a few similar journey's by others.
How Long is it feasible to temporary park next to the Venue to Off Load/Load Devices ? or will individuals bringing devices be encouraged to arrive prior to the start time to ensure them the best chance to get a closer parking space, allowing for a easier logistics of their devices ?
Do the devices being brought have to be carried up stairs to the room ?
Any knowledge available on the locality of where to get Lunch/Dinner ?
I'm easy to cater for, the local Chippie will do :)
As the Spreadsheet is being filled, it is looking like the day will be carrying out a variety of Device Auditions, as well as have the potential for a Bake Off or two with other Devices.
It would seem to fit all the devices in, allowing for a fair assessment,
the day will extend beyond a usual day, that is a 10.00 am - 17.00 pm'ish time table.
A schedule of the days Auditions would help anybody, with a interest to listen to a particular device, have a 'ball park time' on how there attendance, will have to be arranged for, if they wish to audition a specific device.
A common interest device, that is showing as a late in the day time slot, might not be in the right time slot, for certain individuals willing to attend.
I'll butt out now, with my two cents worth.

YNWaN
24-08-2019, 11:01
There is street parking all around the venue as well as a few small car parks. All parking is free on a Sunday (all the proposed dates are Sundays). The room is on the first floor but there is a short spiral staircase, one turn of 180 degrees. The staircase has shallow steps, is wide and open to one side, it’s not difficult to get large items up it. At the bottom of the staircase there are large double doors that lead directly to the street (where a car could be parked to unload with no issue).

The venue is only a few yards from London Road which is Sheffield’s main food and drink street. There are dozens of restaurants and fast-food establishments of all kinds - there are also a number of local pubs.

10:00 am to 5:00 pm is likely to be the proposed time span (perhaps 9:00 till 7:00 - I’ll have to check when they will need us out).

Sorry John but I find the last bit of your post a bit confusing but we can’t really give a schedule for the day yet without having an idea of who is coming and what they are bringing. Three dates are listed but this is for the convenience of attendees, only one of these dates will be chosen, depending on popularity.

JohnG
24-08-2019, 12:16
Hi Mark,
Thank you for the clearer picture of what to expect on arrival, it makes the planning at the Sheffield end a bit easier to arrange for.
You're well on track to bring together a good day of experiencing members choices. It will prove to be a fun day and educational, at the least.
As I said, 'I'll butt out' too much thinking about the little thing can get confusing :scratch:.
I'll sit in the wings, awaiting the selected date :popcorn:

Bigman80
24-08-2019, 13:41
There is street parking all around the venue as well as a few small car parks. All parking is free on a Sunday (all the proposed dates are Sundays). The room is on the first floor but there is a short spiral staircase, one turn of 180 degrees. The staircase has shallow steps, is wide and open to one side, it’s not difficult to get large items up it. At the bottom of the staircase there are large double doors that lead directly to the street (where a car could be parked to unload with no issue).

The venue is only a few yards from London Road which is Sheffield’s main food and drink street. There are dozens of restraints and fast-food establishments of all kinds - there are also a number of local pubs.

10:00 am to 5:00 pm is likely to be the proposed time span (perhaps 9:00 till 7:00 - I’ll have to check when they will need us out).

Sorry John but I find the last bit of your post a bit confusing but we can’t really give a schedule for the day yet without having an idea of who is coming and what they are bringing. Three dates are listed but this is for the convenience of attendees, only one of these dates will be chosen, depending on popularity.Superb, I love a nice restraint [emoji38][emoji38]

YNWaN
24-08-2019, 14:24
Oops, I’ll change that ;).

Bigman80
24-08-2019, 14:42
Oops, I’ll change that ;).Owwwww. lol.

gninnam
24-08-2019, 22:41
Added my details now:)

SAP7
25-08-2019, 09:41
Happy to come if I can.
Depends on work and I’ll only know much closer.
My sig has my kit and I can consider taking some if needed.

Ali Tait
26-08-2019, 16:01
Added myself and gear to the list, let me know what you want me to bring if anything.

ijrussell
26-08-2019, 18:32
I've signed up. I'm not going to bring any kit as there is plenty already listed.

Bigman80
26-08-2019, 19:58
Added myself and gear to the list, let me know what you want me to bring if anything.Tannoys.
I've never hard a pair.

mayebaza
26-08-2019, 20:20
Added myself to the list.

walpurgis
26-08-2019, 20:25
Tannoys.
I've never hard a pair.

No excuse for that. I suggest you buy Martin's 12" HPD's immediately and build some boxes for them! :D

Bigman80
26-08-2019, 20:28
No excuse for that. I suggest you buy Martin's 12" HPD's immediately and build some boxes for them! :DLmao, doesn't he need them? [emoji848] [emoji23][emoji23]

walpurgis
26-08-2019, 20:31
Lmao, doesn't he need them? [emoji848] [emoji23][emoji23]

Ask him, he won't mind. I have a feeling things are a little slow on that front.

Bigman80
26-08-2019, 21:03
Ask him, he won't mind. I have a feeling things are a little slow on that front.Could do but for funding.

Ali Tait
27-08-2019, 04:41
Tannoys.
I've never hard a pair.

Haven’t got any. 😀

Bigman80
27-08-2019, 07:08
Lmao, wrong person [emoji1787]

Was tired lol

Blackmass
27-08-2019, 08:11
Name added to file. If I've bugged up the file please let me know.

I won't be bring anything.

Cheers
Rob

EDIT: I could bring the LOW album Double Negative on vinyl to blow the speakers?

itskeith
27-08-2019, 08:13
Tannoys.
I've never hard a pair.

I'd be interested in hearing some also.
Will have a look at diary and add to spreadsheet later.
Cheers.

Bigman80
27-08-2019, 08:24
I'd be interested in hearing some also.
Will have a look at diary and add to spreadsheet later.
Cheers.He hasn't got them, wrong Al lol

YNWaN
27-08-2019, 08:48
Chaps, do you think you could keep it reasonably relevant to the bake-off please - otherwise the thread just gets strung out and difficult to follow.

Hap Hazzard
28-08-2019, 09:07
Name, gear, date added to list. :)

itskeith
29-08-2019, 08:01
Hi Guys,

Please can someone add me to the list with dates I can make (haven't a google account).
Not planning on bringing anything (that will add value and speakers unlikely to be finished by then).

Dates are:
13th Oct: Yes
20th Oct: Yes
17th Nov: No

Fingers crossed / really hope it's one of the Oct dates.

Many thanks.
Keith

Blackmass
29-08-2019, 13:43
Hi Guys,

Please can someone add me to the list with dates I can make (haven't a google account).
Not planning on bringing anything (that will add value and speakers unlikely to be finished by then).

Dates are:
13th Oct: Yes
20th Oct: Yes
17th Nov: No

Fingers crossed / really hope it's one of the Oct dates.

Many thanks.
Keith

Added you mate.

itskeith
29-08-2019, 14:03
Many thanks Rob :)

freefallrob
30-08-2019, 11:41
I've stuck my name on the list.

JohnG
09-09-2019, 11:13
Is there any movement on a firm date to be proposed for the event ?

itskeith
11-09-2019, 15:26
Is there any movement on a firm date to be proposed for the event ?

Seconded, and request for it to be put on the front page if possible!
Many thanks.

Jimbo
11-09-2019, 15:39
Is this actually going to happen ?

Macca
11-09-2019, 15:41
I think we're in the gestation phase.

YNWaN
12-09-2019, 18:30
Is this actually going to happen ?

It looks like Sunday the 20th of October is the most likely date (the one that most people have expressed an interest in).

However, now you mention it ‘Jimbo’ I’ve just looked at the signing in sheet and can’t see your name on it... I wouldn’t expect to be kept too up to date if you aren’t even thinking of coming (seems fair to me).

Bigman80
12-09-2019, 18:54
It looks like Sunday the 20th of October is the most likely date (the one that most people have expressed an interest in).

However, now you mention it ‘Jimbo’ I’ve just looked at the signing in sheet and can’t see your name on it... I wouldn’t expect to be kept too up to date if you aren’t even thinking of coming (seems fair to me).Bit of an unnecessary reply there 'Mark'

YNWaN
12-09-2019, 20:33
Ditto ‘oliver’!

I answered a direct question, albeit from an apparently disinterested party....
————
Hang on a minute, according to the sign up sheet you aren’t interested in coming either, so is this just some kind of insider troll fest? Seriously, if you are interested then please sign up, if you aren’t interested then please don’t waste your time.

Bigman80
12-09-2019, 20:56
Ditto ‘oliver’!

I answered a direct question, albeit from an apparently disinterested party....
————
Hang on a minute, according to the sign up sheet you aren’t interested in coming either, so is this just some kind of insider troll fest? Seriously, if you are interested then please sign up, if you aren’t interested then please don’t waste your time.Insider trolling? Good grief.

I was on the list, I'm not now.

Lawrence001
13-09-2019, 09:28
Come on guys this is supposed to be a friendly forum and the bake off a bit of fun surely?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

JohnG
13-09-2019, 18:10
I am looking forward to this, the Tribute AVC is off much interest, as well as a chance once more to be with the ModWright and Paradise under the same roof.
My friend seems to be on the mend from his Operation, he thinks he can return to driving a vehicle in about three weeks, so the VAS II might be available as well.
I am going to inform the few members of my Local East Anglia Group about the date of the Event being the 20-10-2019.
If there is a interest shown to attend,
are there any objections to a few +1's as a addition to the audience ?

Qwin
14-09-2019, 10:28
Just pulled the trigger on a Nuprime CDT-8 Pro (CD Transport) so will bring that along instead of my Stello CDT-100.
Updated the spreadsheet to show this.

"Is this going to happen"
Patience guys, it's only a little over 5 weeks since Mark first asked if anyone was interested in a gathering.
Seems to be firming up nicely, you have to give folks a chance to see the posting, not everyone checks out AoS daily.
And a few folks who said they were interested have not put their names down yet, or expressed a preference for a date, so you have to give them a chance. :)

Gazjam
14-09-2019, 10:42
Just pulled the trigger on a Nuprime CDT-8 Pro (CD Transport) so will bring that along instead of my Stello CDT-100.
Updated the spreadsheet to show this.

Really interesting bit of kit that Nuprime Ken, i2s output too.
I know website has a disclaimer on its compatibility, but do you know off hand if it’s PS Audio compatible?

Qwin
14-09-2019, 11:16
Really interesting bit of kit that Nuprime Ken, i2s output too.
I know website has a disclaimer on its compatibility, but do you know off hand if it’s PS Audio compatible?

The pin out diagrams look the same, for the pins that count and there's at least one posting on PSA forum saying it works with his Stellar GCD, several have used it with DS jr etc.
The i2s was the big draw for me, that and the fact it is a front loader.
The Jays Audio with i2s HDMI socket was favourite but its a full size top loader and I just don't have the space for it. I'm not sure about pin out on this, if it had been a goer I would have asked them for a diagram.
Still not built my i2s music streamer/server, would you believe, I have lost the HDMI socketed i2s line driver board I purchased. Had the house upside down looking, will have to buy another.

You should team up with Ali and get yourself down to Sheffield to hear mine. :D

Edit: Nuprime are supposed to be launching a CDT-10 model this Month, no sign of it yet, they've been promising it since January. Problems debugging the firmware, apparently.

Qwin
18-09-2019, 14:12
Gaz - I tried to PM you but your inbox is full.

My Nuprime CDT-8 Pro arrived this afternoon from Germany.
Just plugged it into my Stellar GCD, HDMI i2s Input, using the provided 2 foot HDMI lead.

DSD output works great on all sampling levels.
PCM output has a massive amount of background mush and distortion on all sampling levels. Not sure why that should be, but native DSD over i2s is supposed to be the way to go anyway, so I'm happy with the result. I may have some settings wrong for PCM.

I can only test the sound using some 4" PRV full range drivers, one for LF one for HF on my active set up, as my main speakers are being varnished.

Sounds very good on the PRV's as much as I can tell, put it this way, its the best they have sounded.

Can't wait to get my main speakers finished and set up for Sheffield.

Hap Hazzard
19-09-2019, 10:47
When can we expect a firm date for this and what kit is to be brought, as there is no point dragging kit along for it to just sit vulnerable in peoples cars. :)

Jimbo
19-09-2019, 11:18
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popc orn:

maverick2000
19-09-2019, 11:37
:partytime:

Macca
19-09-2019, 11:44
Date is 20th October - doors open at 0900 hrs although you can drop off kit there from 1200 hrs on the 19th.

maverick2000
19-09-2019, 11:47
Date is 20th October - doors open at 0900 hrs although you can drop off kit there from 1200 hrs on the 19th.

many thanks, I'm out 'cos date blocked personally - will remove from s/sheet - have fun guys and plenty of photos please

Bigman80
19-09-2019, 13:06
I'll bow to your greater experience as I've probably been to only just over 30 now over the last 5 years or so, the last one was in blazing sunshine and as far as I know, nobody dropped out.The irony of being the first to drop out [emoji23]

Macca
19-09-2019, 13:27
Well drop back in then.

Bigman80
19-09-2019, 13:35
Well drop back in then.Who me?

I didn't drop out, I just don't know what I can take ATM so thought it best to remove my list of gear.

I've sold my BigBottle phonostage to someone in need of Valve goodness, my DCB1 is in bits and the SP10 was being refurbed at the time.

Qwin
19-09-2019, 13:47
Who me?

I didn't drop out, I just don't know what I can take ATM so thought it best to remove my list of gear.

I've sold my BigBottle phonostage to someone in need of Valve goodness, my DCB1 is in bits and the SP10 was being refurbed at the time.

Sounds like the state of my system Oli, Danish Oiled my speaker cabinets today, many coats of Polyurethane Varnish to come before they can be re-assembled.

Bigman80
19-09-2019, 13:50
Sounds like the state of my system Oli, Danish Oiled my speaker cabinets today, many coats of Polyurethane Varnish to come before they can be resembled.Yep,

It was absolutely stunning so I don't know what ever possessed me to mess with the DCB1 LOL.

The phonostage was booked to go out on loan but now it's been sold, I haven't got time to build another before the event. The PCB is getting a little tweak so all that takes time.

Hopefully you get your speakers sorted. They will be very interesting to a lot of people.

Qwin
19-09-2019, 13:56
Yes, I noticed quite a few NS-1000m owners attending.

Bigman80
19-09-2019, 14:10
Yes, I noticed quite a few NS-1000m owners attending.I'm also looking in that direction for my next move so it's of interest

Ali Tait
19-09-2019, 14:12
Yep,

It was absolutely stunning so I don't know what ever possessed me to mess with the DCB1 LOL.

The phonostage was booked to go out on loan but now it's been sold, I haven't got time to build another before the event. The PCB is getting a little tweak so all that takes time.

Hopefully you get your speakers sorted. They will be very interesting to a lot of people.

LOL that’s what happens, can’t help fiddling. :-)

Bigman80
19-09-2019, 14:12
LOL that’s what happens, can’t help fiddling. :-)Yup, learned my lesson!

maverick2000
19-09-2019, 15:07
The irony of being the first to drop out [emoji23]

IF a firm date had been set from the beginning then I wouldn't have put my name down as my sister is coming to the UK for the first time in 25 years and will be with us that weekend, I have known this for months (even before this BO was first mooted)

as a range of dates was offered I was clear on the spreadsheet that I couldn't make one date, so I say that I am NOT, repeat NOT, "dropping out" so I call foul on criticising me - or perhaps you have pearls of wisdom on how else I could approach this earlier?

I haven't dropped out of any BOs in many years and the only one perhaps 5 years ago I had a very heavy cold and thought it courteous to not share with others! However, a sarcastic type I see, but in the trade, so no surprise there IMHO

Bigman80
19-09-2019, 15:13
IF a firm date had been set from the beginning then I wouldn't have put my name down as my sister is coming to the UK for the first time in 25 years and will be with us that weekend, I have known this for months (even before this BO was first mooted)

as a range of dates was offered I was clear on the spreadsheet that I couldn't make one date, so I say that I am NOT, repeat NOT, "dropping out" so I call foul on criticising me - or perhaps you have pearls of wisdom on how else I could approach this earlier?

I haven't dropped out of any BOs in many years and the only one perhaps 5 years ago I had a very heavy cold and thought it courteous to not share with others! However, a sarcastic type I see, but in the trade, so no surprise there IMHOI'm not criticising, I was merely pointing out the irony based on our previous interaction where you flaunted you vastly greater experience of bake off attendance and likelihood of attendee numbers.

It was light hearted old boy, not criticism.

Don't take yourself so seriously. I thought it was very funny [emoji6]

maverick2000
19-09-2019, 15:41
I'm not criticising, I was merely pointing out the irony based on our previous interaction where you flaunted you vastly greater experience of bake off attendance and likelihood of attendee numbers.

It was light hearted old boy, not criticism.

Don't take yourself so seriously. I thought it was very funny [emoji6]
only responding to line that at least 25% drop out and that shows like Scalford are much less risky to put on (I paraphrase)

anyone who knows me can attest that I do anything but take myself seriously and if I ask for a place then I attend. Why it's so amusing that I can't attend on one of 3 dates suggested weeks ago I am lost to understand, actually I was gutted but am democratic. As I say please would YOU explain what you think I COULD have done otherwise than be open and honest upfront, if I had flounced at the one date I couldn't make being chosen you'd have a point, I didn't
But I did wish all good luck/fun (read my post)

As I said in the trade so my experience of such is yet again confirmed, over the years I have had some really horrible dealings, which to somebody as polite and honest as me leaves me bemused.
But our hobby does seem to attract them, or maybe it's me where my approach makes me look like a soft touch.

Bigman80
19-09-2019, 15:46
only responding to line that at least 25% drop out and that shows like Scalford are much less risky to put on (I paraphrase)

anyone who knows me can attest that I do anything but take myself seriously and if I ask for a place then I attend. Why it's so amusing that I can't attend on one of 3 dates suggested weeks ago I am lost to understand, actually I was gutted but am democratic. As I say please would YOU explain what you think I COULD have done otherwise than be open and honest upfront, if I had flounced at the one date I couldn't make being chosen you'd have a point, I didn't
But I did wish all good luck/fun (read my post)

As I said in the trade so my experience of such is yet again confirmed, over the years I have had some really horrible dealings, which to somebody as polite and honest as me leaves me bemused.
But our hobby does seem to attract them, or maybe it's me where my approach makes me look like a soft touch.Paul,

If I were you, I'd have a nice cup of tea and relax.

It was humorus to me that you poo pood my statement about 25% dropping out then you're the first one to drop out. Not that you can't attend. Why would I be pleased about that or find that funny? I don't know what you could do differently and regardless of your reliability elsewhere, you flaunted your magnitude of experience and took a sarcastic pot shot at me. Now it's smacked you on the arse, you don't like it.

As for all the "trade" nonsense, I'm not in the trade at all, I am a trader here because I make and sell cables and the odd phonostage. I don't make a living out of it and do not class myself as a trader at all. It was a necessity to take that title here due to Marcos request.

You can call me what you like, but you started out with the sarcasm, so if you don't like it when it smacks your arse, don't dish it out.

Anyway, as I said, it was light hearted.

Seems to have hit a nerve though.

maverick2000
19-09-2019, 16:10
don't drink the stuff

I thought that the comment that shows are easier / less risk that bake-offs an interesting view.
I have organised massive events over 6 years (not hifi) where due to being outdoors there is a very high risk of financial loss so I would never say any shows are easy, nor less risk. I delayed one with 5 days to go, snowdrifts were 6 foot on the planned day (April). Phew.

I am still waiting on your advice on what I could have done differently? To date, nothing has smacked my a*** as I have been consistent.

If you want to make an offer to Marco to run the AoS show, I'd bury the hatchet and offer to help. Seriously, I am quite good at that stuff.

Macca
19-09-2019, 16:41
don't drink the stuff

I thought that the comment that shows are easier / less risk that bake-offs an interesting view.
I have organised massive events over 6 years (not hifi) where due to being outdoors there is a very high risk of financial loss so I would never say any shows are easy, nor less risk. I delayed one with 5 days to go, snowdrifts were 6 foot on the planned day (April). Phew.

I am still waiting on your advice on what I could have done differently? To date, nothing has smacked my a*** as I have been consistent.

If you want to make an offer to Marco to run the AoS show, I'd bury the hatchet and offer to help. Seriously, I am quite good at that stuff.

We did do a big AoS bake off back in November 2016 https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?47529-MiBO-2016-Photos-Videos-and-Comments and more people turned up then said they would. About 50% more. We'd have done it again but the venue - which was massively suitable (car park, beer, food and accommodation on site) closed down soon afterwards.

Putting a show on like Wigwam have is a massively bigger undertaking plus you have to charge people to get in and hope you don't make a huge loss. Even so the main drawback to doing something like that is finding somewhere suitable where they don't want stupid money for renting it. Also Wigwam have been doing it every year since about 2010 and arguably there isn't enough demand for two of them a year. If they stop then I'll look at it again and if so your experience and assistance would be invaluable and much appreciated.

Bigman80
19-09-2019, 16:45
don't drink the stuff

If you want to make an offer to Marco to run the AoS show, I'd bury the hatchet and offer to help. Seriously, I am quite good at that stuff.You were sarcastic about my comment in regard to folk dropping out, siting your absolutely vast experience.

You are the first to drop out, proving my point that people will drop out. I have laughed at the irony that your comment has smacked your arse.

It's very simple to follow and understand.

AFAIC there is no hatchet to bury, or any need to continue banging on about your experience. It was just very funny that you dropped out first, when you suggesting I was talking out of my arse.

Anyway, I won't be organising an AoS event anytime soon due to the lack of interest I have in doing so. Feel free to crack on with one.

Should we not let the thread get back on track? If you'd like to discuss it further, drop me a PM and we can explore how your attitude (in that message) came back to bite you on the arse in private.

maverick2000
19-09-2019, 16:46
We did do a big AoS bake off back in November 2016 https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?47529-MiBO-2016-Photos-Videos-and-Comments and more people turned up then said they would. About 50% more. We'd have done it again but the venue - which was massively suitable (car park, beer, food and accommodation on site) closed down soon afterwards.

Putting a show on like Wigwam have is a massively bigger undertaking plus you have to charge people to get in and hope you don't make a huge loss. Even so the main drawback to doing something like that is finding somewhere suitable where they don't want stupid money for renting it. Also Wigwam have been doing it every year since about 2010 and arguably there isn't enough demand for two of them a year. If they stop then I'll look at it again and if so your experience and assistance would be invaluable and much appreciated.the offer was real
if the wam show had been at Scalford the 1st year it went to Kegworth then due to the area being remote and well deep in snowdrifts that I think would have killed it

my guess (it is only thus) is that finding a venue that would allow us to do what we do is far from easy, there is a view that only those venues financially struggling would agree because they are desperate for the income (look at Scalford Hall's troubled history), As a former CFO I can smell cash troubles a mile off.

maverick2000
19-09-2019, 16:51
Ywhen you suggesting I was talking out of my arse.

you may have not noticed that I feel no need to resort to profanity

agree, thread back on track, I really hope it's a great event as I'd be interested in a repeat when it happens but will just lurk until a date is set to avoid this

EOM

Bigman80
19-09-2019, 16:54
you may have not noticed that I feel no need to resort to profanity

agree, thread back on track, I really hope it's a great event as I'd be interested in a repeat when it happens but will just lurk until a date is set to avoid this

EOM'Arse' is bare-ly profanity [emoji23]

maverick2000
19-09-2019, 16:55
We did do a big AoS bake off back in November 2016 https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?47529-MiBO-2016-Photos-Videos-and-Comments and more people turned up then said they would. About 50% more.
If they stop then I'll look at it again and if so your experience and assistance would be invaluable and much appreciated.
missed that, the benefits of working full time with a December year-end looming!
health allowing I plan to still be around!

my experience is with other events not the 'wam show but I do exhibit

Macca
19-09-2019, 16:55
the offer was real
if the wam show had been at Scalford the 1st year it went to Kegworth then due to the area being remote and well deep in snowdrifts that I think would have killed it

my guess (it is only thus) is that finding a venue that would allow us to do what we do is far from easy, there is a view that only those venues financially struggling would agree because they are desperate for the income (look at Scalford Hall's troubled history), As a former CFO I can smell cash troubles a mile off.

It's a lucky place that don't need the business but I suppose there must be a few. Agree about Scalford, it worked first time for them and that was enough to establish it.

I do have a venue lined up that might tick all the boxes but as I say as long as Wigwam are doing an enthusiast show every year I don't know that it would be worth it so I haven't been along to check it out in any detail. The amount of organisation involved puts me off as I still work full time so not keen on taking on what would be the equivalent of a part time job for six months on top of that.

But it will happen at some point and if people with more time available are interested in helping me out it would make it much more likely to happen sooner.

JohnG
19-09-2019, 19:01
Sunday 20-10-2019 is Greaat !!, So we have a event :respect:
I will bring all the kit on the spreadsheet, and keep it on display in the venue.
If anybody would like to audition any of the devices, I am happy to fit in on a as and when basis.
I would like to put the LDA Speed Controller and NSC out for a comparison, as my main contribution.
I could bring my custom built valve regulated power supply/ valve output Philips 1541 DAC along, if this is off interest to any attendees, it has Coax and USB Connection.
I did not receive any response to wishing to offer the experience to a few of my local HiFi Group to attend as +1's. Any Objections ?

itskeith
23-09-2019, 08:56
Sunday 20-10-2019 is Greaat.

Qwin
23-09-2019, 12:14
Sunday 20-10-2019 is good for me. :)

Modified NS-1000M on course for completion.

One thing I would love to try........
Is any one taking a 2 channel valve power amp that could be used to power the mids/tweeters?
Something along the lines of an EL34 or similar providing 25w or more into 8ohms.

I would love to hear these speakers run with Valves + class D for Bass duties.

There's a KT88 on the list, that might work if its going.

I think it would make a really interesting combination for the NS-1000M owners out there. ;)

Ali Tait
23-09-2019, 13:14
Yes, should have a Beard P35 by then, I’ll bring it along.

Qwin
23-09-2019, 14:10
Yes, should have a Beard P35 by then, I’ll bring it along.

Cheers Ali

:thumbsup:

Wakefield Turntables
23-09-2019, 14:43
Well I will be at Disneyland on the day of the bake off, BUGGER!!!!!

karma67
23-09-2019, 15:51
Sunday 20-10-2019 is good for me. :)

Modified NS-1000M on course for completion.

One thing I would love to try........
Is any one taking a 2 channel valve power amp that could be used to power the mids/tweeters?
Something along the lines of an EL34 or similar providing 25w or more into 8ohms.

I would love to hear these speakers run with Valves + class D for Bass duties.

There's a KT88 on the list, that might work if its going.

I think it would make a really interesting combination for the NS-1000M owners out there. ;)

the kt88 is mine,at 115 watts it powers the ns1000's fine :)

Qwin
23-09-2019, 15:53
the kt88 is mine,at 115 watts it powers the ns1000's fine :)

Mine are semi active, so it would only be required for Mid/Twt.
700w/channel class D runs my bass drivers. :D

karma67
23-09-2019, 16:30
thats me out then :)

Qwin
23-09-2019, 17:35
thats me out then :)

Why so?
It should work fine.

I have adjustment pots on my active crossover to balance LF/HF output to match amplifier gain and driver sensitivity, the Yam Mid and Twt are 93dB/1w/1m.
Note: I normally use 2 identical Class D stereo amps 700w/4ohm for the woofers and 400w/8ohm for Mid/Twt combination, which retains a passive crossover.
The two amps have identical gain, but the bass driver is less sensitive than Mid/Twt, so I have to turn down the Mid/Twt output at the active cross over, so it matches bass output at the drivers.

karma67
24-09-2019, 05:47
Just kidding,No probs, I’m happy to give it a try.

Qwin
24-09-2019, 07:24
Excellent!
I just hope we have time to fit everything in. Mark has his work cut out, sorting out some kind of running order.

At the NEBO meets we tend to run through the more complete systems that folks have gone to the trouble of bringing first, leaving the box swapping and system lash ups to the end. The lash ups are the most interesting part for me, with some unlikely combinations having great synergy.

It's Mark's party though, so I will go with what ever he chooses to do, just glad to participate.

Qwin
01-10-2019, 16:12
Got the speakers completed this afternoon, ready for the meet, just putting a few hours on them as I changed a couple of parts in the active crossovers.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/Yam_Rev/YamRev_06F.JPG

Bigman80
01-10-2019, 16:37
Got the speakers completed this afternoon, ready for the meet, just putting a few hours on them as I changed a couple of parts in the active crossovers.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/Yam_Rev/YamRev_06F.JPGLovely stuff. We'll done Ken.

JohnG
01-10-2019, 18:38
I'm looking forward to hearing this speaker build too.
I've been slow on Speaker Demo's for quite some time.
The cabinetry looks very professional, and the use of the Dark Vignette of colour on the fascia is stylish, it guides the eye onto the Drivers, giving them Pride of Place

Qwin
01-10-2019, 19:01
Thanks Oli/John

I thought the silver drivers needed something dark to set them off, but didn't want to go with Black. This look was inspired by a pair of NS-2000 in Walnut, which I thought looked really nice. Adding the Veneer, with R10 edges and then this finish, took twice as long as making the cabinets, but I feel it was worth it. I wanted to get away from sharp edges.

Ali Tait
01-10-2019, 19:35
I'm looking forward to hearing this speaker build too.
I've been slow on Speaker Demo's for quite some time.
The cabinetry looks very professional, and the use of the Dark Vignette of colour on the fascia is stylish, it guides the eye onto the Drivers, giving them Pride of Place

John, could you clear your inbox please?

Floyddroid
02-10-2019, 16:02

Wow! Well done Ken. Some of your best work. Would love to hear them

Qwin
02-10-2019, 16:41
Wow! Well done Ken. Some of your best work. Would love to hear them

Thanks, I'm taking them to Sheffield Steve, give you a lift if you want (PM me), if you can't make it, you'll have to wait till the next NEBO meet. :D

By the way, there is nothing wrong with my Pre-Amp (phew), I think it was just the rats nest of cables we had going on at the Wellington. Something must not have been routed correctly and it wasn't easy to spot.

Edward
02-10-2019, 16:59
Ken, I've been following your active xover project with lots of interest. So glad you have pulled it all together. Be interested to read your listening notes sometime. Perhaps you could update your project thread sometime. :cool:

Qwin
02-10-2019, 17:23
Ken, I've been following your active xover project with lots of interest. So glad you have pulled it all together. Be interested to read your listening notes sometime. Perhaps you could update your project thread sometime. :cool:

Hi Edward
The project meandered through many paths over the 3 years or so that it has taken me to get here.
I have created a new project on my website "Upgraded NS-1000M" which is a concise version concentrating on just the final version. There are listening notes and Bass measurements in the final section. Find it here:
http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/YamRev_HTML/YamRev_Thumbs.html

Shahrin of this parish has followed what I did and with a bit of hand holding has completed two pairs, one for him and one for his friend Ranjit.
He actually finished them before I did.
They are both very happy with the results.
No one has commented on his thread over on the drawing board, give the man some encouragement, it was by far the most complex thing he has tackled, he did a great job. Link:
https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?66034-Semi-Active-upgrade-of-the-Yamaha-NS1000

misterdog
02-10-2019, 20:01
Booked for Sunday October 20th.
9-4.30

Portland Works
Randall Street
Sheffield
S2 4SJ

50 Metres from Bramall Lane football ground.
Free parking.

Qwin
02-10-2019, 21:50
What does 9-4.30 mean ?

Is that 9:00am to 4:30pm ?

Edit: If so, is that 4:30 finish playing, or have to be out by 4:30 ?

It takes a while to pack up and leave the room as we found it.

mikmas
02-10-2019, 22:20
Would love to pop in - unfortunately the earliest train on a Sunday wouldn't get me to Sheff before 11:30 :(

Ah well ..

Have a great day folks :thumbsup:

Halfway Tree
06-10-2019, 12:58

Brilliant, Ken. They look just great, your attention to detail is impressive as ever! Looking forward to hearing them.😃

Gordon

Qwin
06-10-2019, 20:57
Brilliant, Ken. They look just great, your attention to detail is impressive as ever! Looking forward to hearing them.��

Gordon

Thanks Gordon, we will have to hook up after the Sheffield Meet and have a mini session.

gninnam
14-10-2019, 19:35
All gone quiet............

Just checking that it is still on??

JohnG
14-10-2019, 21:30
I'm all boxed up ready to go, So I hope so.

YNWaN
15-10-2019, 07:40
It is.

Qwin
15-10-2019, 08:31
Still no word on clarifying the time?

Is it entry to the building from 9:00am and have to be out of it by 4:30pm?

Or is there setting up and dismantling time either side of this?

itskeith
15-10-2019, 11:01
Same question - ish.
Just checking is setting up starting at 9am.
In which case we'll be starting at 9.30 ish (optimistic!).

Would be good to know.
Cheers.

YNWaN
15-10-2019, 17:55
Unfortunately you guys are asking these questions on the wrong forum as the two primary organisers of this event (I am a tertiary aspect) don’t post here (or post very rarely).

However, for what it’s worth, I think the start and finish times are guidelines and someone will be there earlier and later than the times indicated.

gninnam
15-10-2019, 17:59
Unfortunately you guys are asking these questions on the wrong forum as the two primary organisers of this event (I am a tertiary aspect) don’t post here (or post very rarely).

However, for what it’s worth, I think the start and finish times are guidelines and someone will be there earlier and later than the times indicated.

But the invite was made on this forum and I don't frequent the other forums so have been blind as to what is happening.
OK - will sort out the gear I promised to take and aim to get to the venue on Sunday in plenty of time (need to decide which car I can use though as my wife's is bigger so the speakers will fit, may not in mine....)

YNWaN
15-10-2019, 18:51
I totally appreciate all of what you are saying - please don’t think I am criticising, I’m just telling you how it is.

gninnam
15-10-2019, 21:08
I totally appreciate all of what you are saying - please don’t think I am criticising, I’m just telling you how it is.

Nothing worse than being the man in the middle ;)

itskeith
16-10-2019, 07:44
Many thanks for the reply, good to know.

Qwin
16-10-2019, 07:52

It's a bit late in the day to be finding this out, a link to it should have been in the first post.
Who is organising this meeting, on what forum is it detailed and can you post a link to the thread, I've just flipped through the first five pages and can't see anything.

karma67
16-10-2019, 16:38
audioflat or pfm ken.
http://www.audioflat.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=900

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/interest-check-sheffield-uk-bake-off.230645/page-4#post-3784130