PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Mullard Experts

Hypnotoad
30-05-2010, 19:03
I have a nice little ProJect Tube Box II phono preamp and have been using some NOS Phillip/Amperex 12AX7 valves which have a very detailed, forward sound.

I was wanting to get opinions of the various Mullard valves, particularly the difference between the long plates and short plates.

What experience do you guys have with these tubes and what are the main sonic differences?

These tube sell for a premium on ebay and the like. I would like to pick up a pair but need some feedback before I buy.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

alfie2902
30-05-2010, 22:32
Hi Phil,

Firstly I'm no Mullard or tube expert but I have had a play with a few tubes over the last few months. My P10 phono stage uses one 12ax7/Ecc83 along with one 6922/Ecc88 & I've tried an hand full of each.

The Philips Miniwatt 12ax7 I tried was a fairly balanced sound, good detail, with good bass & nice sweet treble but just a little forward in the mids.

I've tried 2 Mullards a CV4004 & a 12ax7 'long plate' both similar sounding, a warmer, smoother sounding tube. The CV4004 the smoother of the 2 & just a little more detailed but 12ax7 is slightly richer in the mids with slight better vocal, both have good bass.

I've got a Ecc83 Telefunken 'Smooth Plate' in the p10 atm. It's not as rich sounding as the Mullards & a little more detailed but still has a good midrange but more extended highs & sounds more open with more air.

A cheaper option & well worth a try would be a pair of 5751 's I picked up a single Sylvania 5751 for just a few quid from ebay & to my ears sounded as good as any of the above warm but lively & detailed with lovely smooth treble, lovely mids with the vocal pushed well into the room, perhaps a little forward though! the only problem with the 5751 is that it has less gain than the 12ax7 & not quite enough in my P10 in my present set up.

Hope this helps a little.

Rare Bird
30-05-2010, 22:35
I have a nice little ProJect Tube Box II phono preamp and have been using some NOS Phillip/Amperex 12AX7 valves which have a very detailed, forward sound.

I was wanting to get opinions of the various Mullard valves, particularly the difference between the long plates and short plates.

What experience do you guys have with these tubes and what are the main sonic differences?

These tube sell for a premium on ebay and the like. I would like to pick up a pair but need some feedback before I buy.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Try get some old Telefunken 12AX7 with blue tips, they are medical grade ;)

DSJR
31-05-2010, 10:30
I bought some tested & matched Mullard long-plate ECC82's for the Croft and didn't care for them overmuch, finding them too old fashioned "valvey." However, the mil spec versions are fine and thanks to a certain Mr Shiels, I now have CV4003's and 4004's in the Croft and the sound is fine, being open enough without any obvious bass bloat or treble softness. I also have some JAN5814a's for the line stage, which sharpen the sound up a bit too much, but are incredibly clear.

John
31-05-2010, 10:39
Be worth speaking to Anthony TD his knowledge around tubes is very good and is a great person to buy in confidence from

Mike
31-05-2010, 11:31
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270586078467&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT ;) :)

anthonyTD
31-05-2010, 16:24
hi all,
most of the traits you guys have commented on here i would agree with, however i will add one from my own prefrence,,, if you want a real good all-rounder, then i would take the CV4004/M8137 [box plate] in most applications.
their not cheap now but they have a long life [typicaly 10,000 hours] so probably the last ECC83 some of you will ever need!!!:eek::lol:
A...

Marco
31-05-2010, 16:29
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270586078467&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

That one's not mine - but I've got one of the Tech-Tube E813CCs for sale (near) brand new and boxed for sale at a bargain price if anyone is interested :)

As for Phil's question, I'd agree with the comments made so far. Most Mullard ECC83/32/35 types I've heard are somewhat boom 'n' tizz and exhibit quite a pronounced sonic signature. If you like this, that's fine, but personally I prefer valves which impart as little of their own 'sound' on the music as possible....

In that respect, the best I've encountered is the Telefunken ECC803S:

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6051/803s574top.jpg (http://img85.imageshack.us/i/803s574top.jpg/)

Truly the king of ECC83/12AX7s - at a price! :eek:

Marco.

Mike
31-05-2010, 17:49
That one's not mine.

Coz it's mine yer numpty! :ner:

Marco
31-05-2010, 17:58
Hahahahahahaha...... :lol:

Marco.

Mike
31-05-2010, 18:06
Hahahahahahaha...... :lol:

There's a bit of a clue in the sellers name..... ;)

anthonyTD
31-05-2010, 18:18
There's a bit of a clue in the sellers name..... ;)
:eek::doh::lolsign:

Marco
31-05-2010, 18:33
I didn't even get that far (no need to) - I just looked at the picture of the valve! :)

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
31-05-2010, 19:38
if you want a real good all-rounder, then i would take the CV4004/M8137 [box plate] in most applications.
their not cheap now but they have a long life [typicaly 10,000 hours] so probably the last ECC83 some of you will ever need!!!:eek::lol:
A...

I'd agree with Anthony here - those were the best I found for my phono stage, Marco's Telefunken's being a bit too 'Knopfler' compared to the 'Hendrix' of the Mullards!

WMXqigNLkQM

Rare Bird
31-05-2010, 20:30
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6051/803s574top.jpg (http://img85.imageshack.us/i/803s574top.jpg/)

Truly the king of ECC83/12AX7s - at a price! :eek:

I've not had all that much experience with tube rolling but the Telefunken tube are fantastic, miles better than the overrated ones people recommend from time to time. :)

alfie2902
31-05-2010, 20:59
I've not had all that much experience with tube rolling but the Telefunken tube are fantastic, miles better than the overrated ones people recommend from time to time. :)

I think it's horses for courses though Andre! I think it can depend on the amp or whatever it's used in.

I shelled out a pile of £s for a NOS Telefunken ECC801s (12at7/ECC81 varient) after being told it's the dogs b*****ks for my headphone amp. I found it to be quite shrill & not a patch on my favourite 1959 Philips Miniwatt 12at7 or even my reserve Mullard M8162/CV4024. Perhaps in another application the Telefunken ECC801s may well live up to the hype.

As I said earlier an Ecc83 Telefunken 'Smooth Plate' sounds great in my phono stage!

Barry
31-05-2010, 23:05
Hi Phillip

Your enquiry gives me the opportunity to remind members of the AoS Library. In this library there is much useful valve data :

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3285.

I cannot speak from experience, as I have only a few items that use valves (three tuners and one reel-reel tape deck), none of which are being used at the moment. All use Mullard brand valves and all the spare valves I have are Mullard NOS. I have not had an opportunity to do any 'tube rolling', though this is a planned activity I intend to try out on one of the tuners.

Two sites which might interest you are:

www.tube-classics.de/indexen.htm

and

www.tubeworld.com.

See how you get on with these sites.

I would add that valve connoisseurs talk about valves in much the same way a wine connoisseur will talk about wine - and all will have their favourites.

Briefly, however, it seems that the Mullard brand ECC83 was made between 1959 -1969, and came in two versions: short plate 14mm and long plate 17mm. The long plate is thought to be better. All Philips brand (including Mullard) ECC83 are of good quality.

Regards

anthonyTD
01-06-2010, 14:26
hi all,
barry is right to a point, there are two main diffrences in the plate structure as far as size, they are 15mm and 17mm, but there are also a multitude of other unique diffrences in physical contruction to take into acount, some of which are; copper or steel grid pins, halo or D type getters, diffrent anode/plate coatings etc,etc... MULLARD, BRIMAR, PHILIPS valves were all part of the BVA [british valve association] so for eg; a valve branded as PHILIPS or BRIMAR could infact be a re-branded MULLARD. the type of structure will tell you a lot if you know what to look for! of course date codes go a long way in defining where and when a valve was made.
hope this helps.:)
A...