PDA

View Full Version : Valve Class A new to Firebottle towers

Firebottle
17-07-2019, 07:39
Very recently took delivery of a single ended pentode Class A, a Ming Da Piccolo Mk2.
It is an integrated amp with selector and remote control volume, KT90 output operating in ultralinear.

http://i66.tinypic.com/f0cmmw.jpg

It has already been upgraded with Audyn coupling capacitors by Mark at Ming Da UK and sounds very good.

http://i67.tinypic.com/281wnk9.jpg

However it now sounds spectacular after fitting direct input sockets and completely bypassing the cheap volume control.
I am extremely pleased with the performance into my Quad ESL57's, it's a great match.

walpurgis
17-07-2019, 07:46
Looks nice. I like Ming Da (Meixing) gear.

Bigman80
17-07-2019, 08:47
Just uploaded my thoughts on this on my BigBlog lol.

The Black Adder
17-07-2019, 09:03
Looks like a fabulous amp, Alan.

What valves does it use?

Jimbo
17-07-2019, 09:14
Nice one Alan, your hunch for these little Chinese amps has paid off with a few adjustments!:)

ReggieB
17-07-2019, 10:49
I heard one of these at Mark's and they are very nice.

However it now sounds spectacular after fitting direct input sockets and completely bypassing the cheap volume control.
I am extremely pleased with the performance into my Quad ESL57's, it's a great match.

Does that mean you are effectively using it as a power amp? If so what are you using as the pre-amp or do you just have a single source with variable input?

scotty38
17-07-2019, 11:00
Just uploaded my thoughts on this on my BigBlog lol.

I have a Ming Da Cadenza so would be interested to read your thoughts... Where can I find this?

Scrub that, I found it :-)

scotty38
17-07-2019, 11:02
I heard one of these at Mark's and they are very nice.

Does that mean you are effectively using it as a power amp? If so what are you using as the pre-amp or do you just have a single source with variable input?

I understand that Mark offers this as an option to some of the integrated amps. As it happens I am using a passive pre as a switchbox to feed the amp and a separate headphone amplifier but had assumed the pre-amp option was bypassing more than just the volume pot. Does this mean that in effect the integrateds have a passive pre anyway?

Firebottle
17-07-2019, 13:52
Yes it's now being used as a power amp.
As built it has 3 sets of inputs running to a selector switch, then to an inferior volume control, then to the input stage grid.

I have fitted a relay to isolate the inputs and volume control, with additional sockets feeding the input stage directly.
It is surprising how much a conventional volume control strangles the performance, I and others have moved on to quality stepped attenuators, either Khozmo or Acoustic Dimension. These let the music through, the pre I am using is my active KIN which now sports an Acoustic Dimension attenuator.

It's a shame that Ming Da don't fit a quality attenuator as the performance cries out for it.

Firebottle
17-07-2019, 13:53
Looks like a fabulous amp, Alan.

What valves does it use?

KT90 output, 5Z3P rectifier and ECC82 driver/input.

Firebottle
17-07-2019, 13:54
Nice one Alan, your hunch for these little Chinese amps has paid off with a few adjustments!:)

It's not actually so little James, I think it weighs 22 kg.
It has quality iron on it which gives the great performance.

STD305M
17-07-2019, 19:08
Hi Alan

That looks like a really nice peice of kit
Keeper ???

hifinutt
19-07-2019, 18:13
Heard marks stuff at shows and always good , seen a bit about the piccolo and glad it is sounding good . look forward to hearing it one day

Malvern Audio Research
20-07-2019, 18:57
Yes it's now being used as a power amp.
As built it has 3 sets of inputs running to a selector switch, then to an inferior volume control, then to the input stage grid.

I have fitted a relay to isolate the inputs and volume control, with additional sockets feeding the input stage directly.
It is surprising how much a conventional volume control strangles the performance, I and others have moved on to quality stepped attenuators, either Khozmo or Acoustic Dimension. These let the music through, the pre I am using is my active KIN which now sports an Acoustic Dimension attenuator.

It's a shame that Ming Da don't fit a quality attenuator as the performance cries out for it.

As a note, I agree with Alan, The pot is slightly inferior!
Sadly not everyone will pay for something better, they want easy remote etc. But Like Alan, I do offer an upgrade with a stepped pot, using little Dale resistors, but I agree relay and direct input to the grid is favourite!
Great Amps to "Pimp":):)