PDA

View Full Version : CDP Upgrades

Rare Bird
29-05-2010, 11:27
Just bought myself another Sony 'ES' machine in which i'm over the moon with. I love the higher quality sony plyers they sound good..I was listerning to it all last night with & without Maverick Audio 24/96 DAC! I can absolutly live with this player & will do, no edginess, no muddling but i do detect that the bass lines are not ultra clear.

Now it's nothing to do with any other part of the system, cabling etc as i monitored through the machine & the DAC headphone output with various sets of can's.

Would re-clocking the Machine with dedicated clock PSU help do you think? & who's the better the Trichord or the Audiocom variants or any others i don't know about? I recon this would sort the issue out.

Sorry didnt mean to say who's the better but would like input

Audiocom AV
29-05-2010, 13:38
Just bought myself another Sony 'ES' machine in which i'm over the moon with. I love the higher quality sony plyers they sound good..I was listerning to it all last night with & without Maverick Audio 24/96 DAC! I can absolutly live with this player & will do, no edginess, no muddling but i do detect that the bass lines are not ultra clear.

Now it's nothing to do with any other part of the system, cabling etc as i monitored through the machine & the DAC headphone output with various sets of can's.

Would re-clocking the Machine with dedicated clock PSU help do you think? & who's the better the Trichord or the Audiocom variants or any others i don't know about? I recon this would sort the issue out.

Sorry didnt mean to say who's the better but would like input

Hi Andre

Which Sony ES player did you buy?

I cannot give you an unbiased opinion on clocks but if you have any specific questions relating to Superclock 4, etc, please ask.

For you Sony ES player, as a start I recommend you buy a bottle of Kontak cleaner to clean all the power, signal connectors as well as the internal PCB connectors.

Best,
Mark

leo
29-05-2010, 22:56
Depending on the CDP an upgraded clock can really elevate performance , some clocks fitted as stock can be real shite so an upgrade can be a real ear opener

The Superclock 4 is the best I've tried so far (tried in the Duet) it should bring just as good results with a CDP as it does a Duet

Mike
29-05-2010, 23:04
The Audiocom Superclock 2 I fitted to my Denon DVD2900 made very large and very positive improvement to performance in all respects.... The 4 is supposed to be in another league altogether! :)

I have no experience of other clock upgrades but I can confirm that it's a mod that works, and works well!

Rare Bird
29-05-2010, 23:21
Depending on the CDP an upgraded clock can really elevate performance , some clocks fitted as stock can be real shite so an upgrade can be a real ear opener

The Superclock 4 is the best I've tried so far (tried in the Duet) it should bring just as good results with a CDP as it does a Duet

i can't bring myself to pumping that amount of money into a CD player, never noticed the prices, maybe a snip for others but that is a lot of money for me.. i'll put up with the not mega clear bassline first. Thanks anyway.

Macca
29-05-2010, 23:24
Andre

Do you prefer that ES to the XB930QS? You said you had two of them, I guess you sold them also?

Rare Bird
29-05-2010, 23:28
Hi Martin
I still have my Sony players..Theres nothing in the sound between em. I prefer the larger scale built quality, the variable output & the wooden side cheeks (when i get em) on the ES but you can't beat that fixed laser mech on the 930...I'll be using the 'ES' as primary tho..

I purposley bought this certain ES machine cos the lazers are plentyfull, cheap & the machine doesnt have the overrated 1541 that everyone has in there head sounds best..:mental: pay hundreds for second hand machines just for this chip...

Macca
29-05-2010, 23:36
Hi Martin
I still have my Sony players..Theres nothing in the sound between em. I prefer the larger scale built quality, the variable output & the wooden side cheeks (when i get em) on the ES but you can't beat that fixed laser mech on the 930...I'll be using the 'ES' as primary tho..

I purposley bought this certain ES machine cos the lazers are plentyfull, cheap & the machine doesnt have the overrated 1541 that everyone has in there head sounds best..:mental: pay hundreds for second hand machines just for this chip...

Good that you didn't sell everything! I keep going back to the Sony because it's just such a pleasure to use and to look at:) Just been playing Dusty in Memphis on it, lights down and I'm in the studio.;)

Rare Bird
29-05-2010, 23:46
Good that you didn't sell everything!

I know which side mi breads buttered :lolsign:

Barry
30-05-2010, 00:41
Good that you didn't sell everything! I keep going back to the Sony because it's just such a pleasure to use and to look at:) Just been playing Dusty in Memphis on it, lights down and I'm in the studio.;)

Cool - You hedonist! ;)

Regards

leo
30-05-2010, 01:05
i can't bring myself to pumping that amount of money into a CD player, never noticed the prices, maybe a snip for others but that is a lot of money for me.. i'll put up with the not mega clear bassline first. Thanks anyway.

Well you did ask :)