PDA

View Full Version : Aerials !!

SteveW
02-06-2008, 17:10
I'd known for a couple of years that my Linn Kremlin wasn't receiving the signal it should.

I even got a local installer to put up what should have been a better aerial than the circular thing I originally had installed. Same bloody strength signal as before. Would have had more fun throwing a couple of hundred quid in fivers in the air in Nantwich square on a Saturday to watch the mayhem.
Anyway..then I discovered that Ron Smith was still making his galaxie aerials.
This afternoon, my wife rings to ask if I'd ordered a new ironing board..cos a box of that size had just been delivered. Funny sense of humour, that one.

No...just my new galaxie 17. :mex:

Ron's often galavanting round the world, but his charming daughter sorted it all out for me. I have all the details should anyone be interested.

Mike
02-06-2008, 18:11
I have all the details should anyone be interested.

Ah!... maybe!

I'm expecting a Leak Troughline soon(ish) so it may come in handy. Expensive?

Cheers,
Mike.

SteveW
02-06-2008, 18:28
Well...I don't think so.
I paid £160 plus £17 Fedex for the Galaxie 17
You could go for the Circular 5 which is £75 or go up to the Galaxie 23 which is £260.
They have produced a small brochure. Those prices were fixed to this last April...so I don't know if he plans any increases.
Phone number is 01582 736561...I had to leave messages, but his daughter was very good at getting back, especially once I remembered to leave my number.

SteveW
03-06-2008, 19:59
Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bald-headed men are uptight.

Mike Reed
03-06-2008, 21:58
I'm quite surprised he's still making them; he was getting on a bit when I last visited his shop in Luton well over a decade ago. Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted, but as an ex owner of a G23 on rotator (put up by Ron in '87 after the hurricane) there are a few points.

Use a two-inch, thick-wall ally scaffold pole (or steel if your chimney can cope) with at least double lashing, and CT100 or similar very low-loss coax cable.

Don't know the Kremlin (I have a Naim 01 which is VERY insensitive), but I guess this needs a good strong signal too. However, you must be in a poor reception area to warrant a G17.

My friend has had his up high on his chimney for well over ten years now overlooking the English Channel in Ramsgate, with his only problem being the crap mast put up originally by local oiks. He's suffered at least two other aerial failures in those prevailing gales but his G17 soldiers on unscathed.

Enjoy

SteveW
04-06-2008, 07:25
Cheers Mike

Ron's daughter was an absolute delight to deal with, and sent me a great brochure on the lines Ron does, and was packed with fantastic advise and recommendations on all aspects of aerial installation.
For the Galaxie 17, Ron has quoted an experiment carried out by Malcolm Steward in 1992 where he was getting 39-40 db signals from a Magnum Dynalad omni arial compared with 67 to 73 db on the same stations with the G17- and resulting in greater clarity, soundstage depth and substance.
This really reflects the signal strenth I am getting at the moment. Broadcasts sound OK..but always suspect there is a load more to be had.
As an experiment I'm going to try it out in the loft first...just to see what signal strength I can getr. Reason really is that we can see a move possible in a few years, and I'd rather have it easily re-located.
On CT100...I found this on a web-site.

The price of copper has almost doubled in the last few months (June 2007). Some cable, such as CT100 coax (no longer made) H109F (no longer made) and CAT5E shielded twisted-pair, is almost impossible to obtain and we apologise for any inconvenience. Please use WC100 or WF100 in place of CT100. In most cases CAT5E unshielded will give adequate performance even if you think shielded would be better! CT63 "shotgun" cable is also no longer manufactured. The equivalent that we offer is WF65 and is available only in black.

Marco
04-06-2008, 08:58
Nice one, Steve :smoking:

I hope you have lots of fun with it. Ron Smith aerials are quality, just like your tuner which I rate very highly!

Enjoy...

Marco.