PDA

View Full Version : Question

Johnny nocash
06-07-2019, 00:01
Question to mods;
On other forums you can select to 'ignore' certain members/comments etc so you don't have to read the bollox. Is there a facility on AoS to 'ignore' some threads?
Cheers

Beechwoods
06-07-2019, 05:31
You can choose to 'Ignore User' if you go their Profile (click on their username > View Profile), you'll see the option on the left under their Avatar.
You can't ignore whole threads, AFAIK.

Marco
06-07-2019, 09:38
Hi Richard,

I see that Nick's answered your question. However, I'd be curious to know what the "bollox" in question is and/or whom it is you wish to ignore?:)

In terms of the latter, if it's a personal matter, then fair enough, but if someone's being unpleasant to you, or in terms of the "bollox", you're reading stuff here that you really dislike and/or find upsetting, then we should know about it, so we can try and do something to fix it.

I've always been a great believer in tackling problems head on, rather than simply applying a sticking plaster, and using the ignore function is unfortunately an example of the latter.

Marco.

Johnny nocash
06-07-2019, 10:25
Thanks for the replies gents, fortunately it's nothing serious at all. I'm certainly not bothered by any individuals, it's a good vibe on here. It's certain threads which are contributed to everyday, (which suggests they are popular) but I find .... err... tedious. I just wondered if there was a setting to use so they didn't appear on my screen but Nicks already answered that. Maybe bollox was too strong a word (a vino too many maybe) & I'll have to continue with the gargantuan task of scrolling threw 'em:eek:
No probs.:cool:

Marco
06-07-2019, 10:43
Ah, lol... Say no more, you're referring to 3WD!:D Soz...

Marco.

struth
06-07-2019, 10:50
you can always improve the sanity and quality by putting better ones :) i try but am outnumbered

Alex_UK
06-07-2019, 11:03
I know Marco's not a fan, and I couldn't use it all the time but I use Tapatalk on my my mobile now to scan through the unread threads, and then its a simple task to mark the one's I'm not interested as read, but leave the ones I want to read, and then go back to my PC and hit "New Posts" and voila, only the ones I want to read. But of course they'll come back again once we post more bollox! :lol:

YNWaN
06-07-2019, 12:43
Ah, lol... Say no more, you're referring to 3WD!:D Soz...

Marco.

Or it could be the 2WD..... or even the 1WD! Seriously, what is the value of these three threads?

struth
06-07-2019, 13:41
3wd... views...1,702,697. seems popular

Marco
06-07-2019, 13:51
Or it could be the 2WD..... or even the 1WD! Seriously, what is the value of these three threads?

A lighthearted giggle for those who enjoy posting on them? Seems so. The fact is, no-one's forcing anyone to post on the those threads [or indeed read them;)], so if folks decide not to use them, then they'll naturally die a death. No sign of that so far, so that suggests they still fulfil a purpose for some:)

Marco.

YNWaN
06-07-2019, 14:00
No, I don’t post on them, or read them - I honestly can’t imagine why anyone would be interested in doing either unless it is just to raise their post count, or they suffer from some kind of posting compulsion. Whatever the reason, surely the forum doesn’t need three, near identical, threads?

Macca
06-07-2019, 14:01
Seriously, what is the value of these three threads?

Five pounds and sixty-three new pence. Approximately and as of today's date. It may decline in the future due to uncertainty caused by Brexit.

Joe
06-07-2019, 14:03
Five pounds and sixty-three new pence.

Is that with or without VAT?

Joe
06-07-2019, 14:04
No, I don’t post on them, or read them - I honestly can’t imagine why anyone would be interested in doing either unless it is just to raise their post count, or they suffer from some kind of posting compulsion. Whatever the reason, surely the forum doesn’t need three, near identical, threads?

Anyone who cheats on these threads by using hyphens to sneak more than one, two or three words into a post should be banned from the forum.

walpurgis
06-07-2019, 14:07
Whatever the reason, surely the forum doesn’t need three, near identical, threads?

That's a point. I wonder if adding 'Four Words Daily' would provide more scope for people to express themselves?

struth
06-07-2019, 14:07
would probably be easier just banning the complainers :ner:

Marco
06-07-2019, 14:27
That's a point. I wonder if adding 'Four Words Daily' would provide more scope for people to express themselves?

Now *there's* an idea!:idea::D

And you're due to start the next one!:eyebrows:

Marco.

Marco
06-07-2019, 14:32

"Need" is of course subjective, Mark. The fact is, however, as long as people continue posting on them, they'll form a purpose/need, and so will continue to exist - and as soon as they don't. they won't. It's that simple:)

Every thread here has a finite lifespan, not just the various 'words' threads, and unless there's a very good reason, it's not up to us to interfere in their future or otherwise.

Marco.

Macca
06-07-2019, 15:32
Is that with or without VAT?

VAT exempt as they count as books. Or children's clothing. I forget which.

Johnny nocash
06-07-2019, 23:38
Crap weather for...
Great

Roy S
07-07-2019, 00:07
One wonders what you're hoping to gain from this thread Richard? (I see you started the 'Bullshitting' thread back in February).

Just my observation, no offence intended.

Johnny nocash
07-07-2019, 00:48
One wonders what you're hoping to gain from this thread Richard? (I see you started the 'Bullshitting' thread back in February).

Just my observation, no offence intended.

No offence taken at all taken Roy. My OP & post 4 tells ya what I mean. Don't bother reading after

post 5 cos everyone's on drugs:ner:...... & not the right ones.

Roy S
07-07-2019, 00:56
I was looking at post 20 & feeling aggrieved having recently contributed to the thread mentioned.

As has previously been observed if you're not keen on the thread subject matter don't bother looking at it - simples!

Johnny nocash
07-07-2019, 01:17
Hi again Roy,
Self loathing is toward the end of post 4.

Roy S
07-07-2019, 01:29
I get that Richard & it seemed things had settled down, then you hit us with post 20, which to all intents & purposes indicates you think the 'Crap weather' thread is, erm, crap (or did I misread your sarcasm?).

You just seem to be a little 'provocative'? (But then questioning the norm is healthy?)

alphaGT
07-07-2019, 06:46
I read the forum in Tapatalk too, the print is much larger, seems easy to navigate.

But I have no problem ignoring any of the threads. I just keep scrolling on past them, many items for sale that I know I can’t buy, etc. There are other threads that have posts in the thousands, some I find interesting, some not. But scrolling on past them takes no time at all! No aggravation, no extra steps, just keep scrolling.

I don’t make a habit of reading the latest 2WD or 3WD, but on occasion I too have left an entry, to express a thought that’s been on my mind today, or some other creative outlet, or to relieve some frustration, in a subtle way that doesn’t require a lengthy conversation, it really doesn’t matter to me if anyone else ever read my post. The sheer number of entries shows that it does indeed serve some purpose, whatever it may be.

Russell

thingfish
07-07-2019, 06:52
One, two or three sentences daily might have been better.:cool:

Marco
07-07-2019, 06:58
How long can you make a sentence run for though, particularly if you're good at punctuation?;)

Marco.

alphaGT
07-07-2019, 17:10
How long can you make a sentence run for though, particularly if you're good at punctuation?;)

Marco.

I’m famous for getting those sentences and paragraphs mixed up. I could write a book in three sentences.

Russell

Marco
07-07-2019, 19:23
:D:eyebrows:

Marco.

jandl100
08-07-2019, 13:19
Sometimes what gets me a bit 'off-piste' is looking at the "What's New" feature - which I find handy to see what is err, new - and 90% of it is N-words-daily posts. :steam:
I'm mean wtf is this forum about?.... :doh:

:D

Marco
08-07-2019, 16:13
Lol... Interestingly, I never use that function, and instead go straight to the areas of the forum (or specific threads) that interest me, which I find quicker!:)

Marco.

struth
08-07-2019, 16:17
i either use the whats new or on phone its new posts, or i just check my subscribed ones depending if im doing my duty or not :eyebrows: it doesnt bother me what gets posted as long as its forum legal. if im not interested i dont read unless i have reason to check things