PDA

View Full Version : Audiocom Superclock 4

leo
26-05-2010, 21:43
After the great results of upgrading the Duets external psu to a Paul Hynes PR3, adding Bybee's from Audiocom on the Spdif output and adding a few simple tweaks to the decoupling and spdif buffer I thought it would be worth upgrading the stock clock. The main problem with the stock clock is that the XO isn't the best quality and it also shares the same Hex inverter IC as the spdif out circuit. The plan was to use a better quality XO with low noise regulation and then run straight to the main Xilnx IC direct

I started off using a Burson clock which I've had a while, I added attenuation on the output because it was set for 5v where as the one needed for the Duet is 3v3
I then upgraded the onboard XO to one from Trichord, I then changed that to one from Tent labs which was also tried with a PFM flea module for regulation (set to 3v3).
The improvement with this mod was worthwhile . It improved details and focus of the sound, the stock unit sounded almost compressed in comparison.

I've now had chance to try an Audiocom superclock 4 just to see how it compares against my clock. I felt this clock deserved mentioning on here which is why I started this thread :) its also easier than faffing about trying to cobble your own clock together.
Details can be found here http://www.audiocominternational.com/product_info.php?products_id=31

Anyway fitting the Superclock 4 is pretty easy, it comes with instructions which are easy to follow, I've added a few pics underneath to give an idea, its a snug fit with a little care and the lid of the Duet can be used.

Mark from Audiocom also sent me a piece of mini 50ohm co-ax to use on the output which I wired underneath the pcb. The screen of the co-ax was fitted to the clock ground only, the main ground of the clock was ran to one of the Duet's VIA's (blue wire) as seen in the pic . DC input came from a pad running straight to the DC input socket of the Duet which is supplied by the Paul Hynes PR3 based PSU.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj220/kingbusoms/duet1.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj220/kingbusoms/duet2.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj220/kingbusoms/clock4c.jpg

Dacs used was Modified Buffalo32s (ES9018 Sabre) , Beresford Caiman and Audial AYAII

The Superclock 4 has only had a few days run in but already the difference this brings is more than noticeable. Mark advised the clock reaches 80% of performance after 160 hours, the last 20% can take as long as 300 hours.
In comparison to the other clock I was using the Superclock 4 soundstage is wider , bass is noticeably deeper but the biggest difference is the mids :eek: the other clock seemed to have a slight dip in the mid-range where as with the Superclock 4 theres more fullness and voices sound more organic without any loss of detail, the other clock seemed more mechanical (this was noticeable with all dacs)

I'm going to allow to run in some more but so far this is proving to be a very good quality unit , the Duet used as a transport performs seriously good after some work and effort

The stock Touch would have to be bloody good to better this on normal 44.1 material, I can say with confidence it trounces both stock Duet and SB3 (I have both here to compare)

Gazjam
26-05-2010, 22:20
Given the good write ups (and the sound hitting my ears!) of how good the Touch is, a comparison between your modded Duet and the Touch would be a great read!

leo
26-05-2010, 22:36
Yes, I hope to do that soon Gaz although honestly it'll have to be damn good to better this ;)

If you heard the dynamics coming out of this Sabre dac you'd shat yourself :lol:

John
27-05-2010, 04:27
The superclock 4 is great I got Mark to upgrade a mf nu-vista and it gave it so much more resolution

Audiocom AV
27-05-2010, 09:13
Hi Leo

Thanks for your feedback on the Superclock 4.

An important factor with clocks is the method used to generate the ‘square wave’ output and the ‘phase noise’. We feel that the oscillator used in Superclock is the most ideal because it generates a Pure Sine Wave (analogue) which is then converted to square. Using a Pure Sine Wave oscillator allows circuit and parts to be optimised for lowest phase noise (jitter). This is different to the method used by a TCXO, or canned oscillator which digitally generates the clock signal.

Also, we realised with earlier generation of Superclock that it is the low frequency noise which is crucial to audio performance. This is the sub 10 Hz noise, even as low as 0.1 Hz! The problem with this band of noise is that no commercially available regulator can provide low noise below 10 Hz. The Superclock 4 uses a MAX6126 at the heart of the regulation, this with some circuit tweaking gets down to 1.3µV @ 0.1 to 10 Hz.

OK, enough technical talk; great that you like the sound.

I purchased a Squeezebox Touch for the purpose of evaluation, both with the stock PSU and Teddy Pardo power supplies. The Touch was running for a week 24/7 before I did any serious listening. Used only via the S/PDIF out to a few different DAC’s I was not overwhelmed with the sound quality.

Certainly compared to a fully modified Duet the sound of the Touch playing the same files was tonally harder, grainer, with less depth and flatter sound-stage. I must buy another and try again, perhaps 1 week of burning-in was not enough.

Best,
Mark

Ali Tait
27-05-2010, 11:26
Will you be offering mods to the Touch Mark?

Gazjam
27-05-2010, 12:30
now THAT got my attention, hope so!

and Leo, this Sabre Dac of yours...was there a thread on AOS about it, its piqued my curiosity. :)

Ali Tait
27-05-2010, 12:37
It's a nice dac,we heard one at Owston with a 6n1p output stage using Sowter trannies.Very good.I'll probably end up making one myself.

Audiocom AV
27-05-2010, 13:50
The superclock 4 is great I got Mark to upgrade a mf nu-vista and it gave it so much more resolution

Thanks John.

Audiocom AV
27-05-2010, 13:53
Will you be offering mods to the Touch Mark?

Hi Ali

When I initially looked at the Squeezebox Touch I asked, "How can we mod this, it's so thin".

I expect we can do certain upgrades like Bybee, capacitors, connectors, maybe even a Super-regulator, but not the clock. There is not enough space.

We need to revisit the Touch and work out what can be done.

Best,
Mark

Mr. C
27-05-2010, 14:22
I would agree with Mark, the space inside the touch is some what limited, however a slaved master clock input would solve the immediate issue of this. Some what easier to engineer too.
Taking the performance further you then slave up the dac to the touch too.
Prehaps Mark could design a dedicated master clock generator around his ultra clock, trick psu, bybees, decent cabling, sure helps.

Ali Tait
27-05-2010, 14:39
I was going to suggest a separate box connected with an umbilical.I thought this might be a problem,hence the question.

Mike
27-05-2010, 15:34
I use a Superclock 2 in my Denon 2900, and it sounds pretty nice actually. How does the Superclock 4 compare to the 2 and would it be worth an upgrade I wonder? :)

Cheers.

Audiocom AV
27-05-2010, 23:21
I would agree with Mark, the space inside the touch is some what limited, however a slaved master clock input would solve the immediate issue of this. Some what easier to engineer too.
Taking the performance further you then slave up the dac to the touch too.
Prehaps Mark could design a dedicated master clock generator around his ultra clock, trick psu, bybees, decent cabling, sure helps.

Hi

Yes, an external master clock would be a neat solution.

Steve Nugent of Empirical Audio makes the Pacecar reclocker;
http://www.empiricalaudio.com/products/pace-car-reclocker

I will get one across and see what can be done.

Best;
Mark

Rare Bird
28-05-2010, 10:21
Can i just ask would it be wise to fit a new Clock & Power supply in an outboard case or is it important to keep the wires as short as possible from CDP's PCB to new clock board?

Mr. C
28-05-2010, 10:26
Mark,

We have been using the Black lion unit for a few years very good for the outlay for those clients who wish to chase a decent upgarde.

Black Lion Master clock (http://www.blacklionaudio.com/content.php?p=3)

For those looking towards to one of the very best then the neat studio clocks from the UK guys Drawmer are a very worth while choice.
We have compared them abx with the Apogee big ben, the UK versions is some what more coherent sounding and has improved bass and stage depth too. The Apogee gives a more mechanical feel to the sound. (IMHO)

High quality master clock (http://www.drawmer.com/news/2/85.php)

Our reference systems use Rubidum ( 2nd level atomic clocks) to slave, the Sever<>Puremusic tarnsporter<>Dac or S/D transporter<>dac.
Do not under estimate the the importantance in an all digital system of 'slaving' all the clocks from a central master, the more pieces of equipment in the chain the more critical it is they all talk at the same time.
The differences are quite something when implimented in a full sorted system.

Rare Bird
28-05-2010, 10:33

Our reference systems use Rubidum ( 2nd level atomic clocks) to slave, the Sever<>Puremusic tarnsporter<>Dac or S/D transporter<>dac.
Do not under estimate the the importantance in an all digital system of 'slaving' all the clocks from a central master, the more pieces of equipment in the chain the more critical it is they all talk at the same time.

Hi Mr C

The Drawmer factor Coleman Street is a 5 mins from where i live

http://www.drawmer.com/c_drawmer.php

Mr. C
28-05-2010, 10:46
Hi Andre,

It is very good equipment and for once British lol!

Rare Bird
28-05-2010, 11:03
Hi Andre,

It is very good equipment and for once British lol!

Yes i used to use a lot of Drawmer outboard gear during my Studio Engineering courses years back. Brilliant gear..

leo
28-05-2010, 16:38
Hi Leo

Thanks for your feedback on the Superclock 4.

An important factor with clocks is the method used to generate the ‘square wave’ output and the ‘phase noise’. We feel that the oscillator used in Superclock is the most ideal because it generates a Pure Sine Wave (analogue) which is then converted to square. Using a Pure Sine Wave oscillator allows circuit and parts to be optimised for lowest phase noise (jitter). This is different to the method used by a TCXO, or canned oscillator which digitally generates the clock signal.

Also, we realised with earlier generation of Superclock that it is the low frequency noise which is crucial to audio performance. This is the sub 10 Hz noise, even as low as 0.1 Hz! The problem with this band of noise is that no commercially available regulator can provide low noise below 10 Hz. The Superclock 4 uses a MAX6126 at the heart of the regulation, this with some circuit tweaking gets down to 1.3µV @ 0.1 to 10 Hz.

OK, enough technical talk; great that you like the sound.

I purchased a Squeezebox Touch for the purpose of evaluation, both with the stock PSU and Teddy Pardo power supplies. The Touch was running for a week 24/7 before I did any serious listening. Used only via the S/PDIF out to a few different DAC’s I was not overwhelmed with the sound quality.

Certainly compared to a fully modified Duet the sound of the Touch playing the same files was tonally harder, grainer, with less depth and flatter sound-stage. I must buy another and try again, perhaps 1 week of burning-in was not enough.

Best,
Mark

Hi Mark,

No probs, I think any upgrade which brings more than a worthwhile improvement to a product deserves its own thread for others to see. I've tried a lot a stuff and only post about things which I feel is worthwhile .

Its a shame the Touch may make modding more awkward because of space etc, one of the things I like about the Duet is that its pretty easy to work on.
Majority of my music is 44.1 so the Duet after the mods for me is the best way so far for playing most of my music collection from the pc .
If the Touch was capable of 24/176 and 24/192 I'd be more tempted, for higher res I may wait or just get a Hi-face sometime and mod it .

BTW I for one like to see some tech details for the Superclock so thanks for sharing them , it then provides plenty of info for everybody
The Superclock still seems to be benefiting from more run in

Regards,
Leo

leo
28-05-2010, 16:52
now THAT got my attention, hope so!

and Leo, this Sabre Dac of yours...was there a thread on AOS about it, its piqued my curiosity. :)

The problem with this diy dac is that its by far the most picky regarding regulation, it sounded pretty good in stock form but after the mods its something else.
I've not finished with the Sabre dacs yet :whistle:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1152&page=14

Audiocom AV
28-05-2010, 17:10
I use a Superclock 2 in my Denon 2900, and it sounds pretty nice actually. How does the Superclock 4 compare to the 2 and would it be worth an upgrade I wonder? :)

Cheers.

Hi Mike

When we released Superclock 3 to our distributors, they reported back that version 3 made Superclock 2 sound broken.

The Superclock 4 is another considerably step-up from version 3.

Cheers,
Mark

Audiocom AV
29-05-2010, 07:08
Hi Mark,

Its a shame the Touch may make modding more awkward because of space etc, one of the things I like about the Duet is that its pretty easy to work on.
Majority of my music is 44.1 so the Duet after the mods for me is the best way so far for playing most of my music collection from the pc .
If the Touch was capable of 24/176 and 24/192 I'd be more tempted, for higher res I may wait or just get a Hi-face sometime and mod it .

Regards,
Leo

Hi Leo

I cannot see the attraction with 24/96, as you say the majority of music is 44.1 so why limit the performance of the player to accommodate 24/96 files that are in the minority :scratch:

Now 24/192, or 24/384 would be interesting.

Best,
Mark

Audiocom AV
29-05-2010, 07:25
Mark,

We have been using the Black lion unit for a few years very good for the outlay for those clients who wish to chase a decent upgarde.

Black Lion Master clock (http://www.blacklionaudio.com/content.php?p=3)

For those looking towards to one of the very best then the neat studio clocks from the UK guys Drawmer are a very worth while choice.
We have compared them abx with the Apogee big ben, the UK versions is some what more coherent sounding and has improved bass and stage depth too. The Apogee gives a more mechanical feel to the sound. (IMHO)

Hi

Interesting, thanks.

The Black Lion looks interesting because of the price in relation to the cost of the Touch, I could not find a price on the other one.

The quoted jitter, PPM, will not give any real indication of sound quality. You can take 10 different clocks with quoted jitter around 10 ps, Temp. co 1-25 PPM, and they will all wildly sound different because of how the clock signal is generated (digital or analogue domain), noise & speed of regulated supplies, etc. For audio it is low frequency jitter, 0.1 – 10 Hz that is the worst and most audible.

Best,
Mark

Mr. C
29-05-2010, 10:37
Hello Mark,

The Black Lion unit is pretty good and gets very close to its spec on our AP test kit, however it is purely the fact that you can slave ALL of the devices within a genuine 3ppm (quality cables and connectors) with very minimal drift even after a couple of years.
The Drawmer unit is also an SRC/Master word clock too price is around £900, which is £200-£300 better value than the big ben.

Would agree on the varying performance issue of clocks, right across the price spectrum.
Though we have found you can fit the most desirable specification of clock available, the performance it gives is in direct proportion to the supplying feed, using a high specification totally isolated ultra low noise floor stiff power supply that has ultra tight regulation and stability will bring far greater benefits then just fitting the replacement clock alone.

As for limiting the unit to 24/96 I am sure that's purely a marketing issue I feel, is this purely down to the receiver chip performance?, current draw, space issue or dac chip, or a combination of both do think.

Ali Tait
29-05-2010, 10:51
At least there is a certain amount of 24/96 material around.There is very little of higher resolution available as far as I can see.

Audiocom AV
30-05-2010, 08:12
Would agree on the varying performance issue of clocks, right across the price spectrum.
Though we have found you can fit the most desirable specification of clock available, the performance it gives is in direct proportion to the supplying feed, using a high specification totally isolated ultra low noise floor stiff power supply that has ultra tight regulation and stability will bring far greater benefits then just fitting the replacement clock alone.

As for limiting the unit to 24/96 I am sure that's purely a marketing issue I feel, is this purely down to the receiver chip performance?, current draw, space issue or dac chip, or a combination of both do think.

Hi

Absolutely, we found the quality of clock power supply right back to AC is a major factor in sound quality.

I think the limitation to 24/96 is a mix of marketing and receiver chip performance. Most current DAC's are 24/192, Burr Brown have 32 DAC's capable of 192 KHz, and only 8 for 96 KHz.

Best,
Mark

Marco
30-05-2010, 09:41
Hi Mark,

How's it going, mate - can you remember which Superclock mod is in my DAS-R1? :)

Marco.

Audiocom AV
30-05-2010, 15:10
Hi Mark,

How's it going, mate - can you remember which Superclock mod is in my DAS-R1? :)

Marco.

Hi Marco

It's going very well, thank you.

Your DAS-R1 has the Superclock 4 :)

I hope it is still performing well.

I have seen a couple of Sony CDP-R1 or CDP-R1a transports become available lately, are you still interested in one of these?

Best,
Mark

Marco
30-05-2010, 20:18
Hi Mark,

Glad it's going well. Thanks for the info - I wasn't sure which one it was I had. Is that your best clock mod then, or have you improved on it further? :)

I'm just interested in whether I have some 'tweakage' left in the DAS-R1, apart from the bullets and bybees you mentioned before ;)

I still plan to come down with Ian sometime later in the year :cool:

Marco.

Rare Bird
30-05-2010, 20:35
Hi Mark,

Glad it's going well. Thanks for the info - I wasn't sure which one it was I had. Is that your best clock mod then, or have you improved on it further? :)

I'm just interested in whether I have some 'tweakage' left in the DAS-R1, apart from the bullets and bybees you mentioned before ;)

Marco.

Thats a good lad takes yours out & give it me :lolsign:

Marco
30-05-2010, 22:25
Swapsy for the Ferrograph? :eyebrows:

Marco.

Rare Bird
30-05-2010, 22:37
Swapsy for the Ferrograph? :eyebrows:

Marco.

:D Blimey everyones after it :lolsign:

Marco
30-05-2010, 22:40
Hamish has as good as nabbed it, I believe :)

While Dave (DSJR) has gone for one of these instead:

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9237/anotherinflatabledoll.jpg (http://img33.imageshack.us/i/anotherinflatabledoll.jpg/)

:eyebrows:

Marco.

Rare Bird
30-05-2010, 23:03
Hamish has as good as nabbed it, I believe :)

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9237/anotherinflatabledoll.jpg (http://img33.imageshack.us/i/anotherinflatabledoll.jpg/)

Marco.

:lolsign:

Na i'm now keeping it, i posted on board earlier, i know i'll kick myself getting shut i did last time, i was maybe a bit hasty listing it before putting my brain in gear, was easy getting shut of the Jap vintage gear but not stuff like this. Anyway it's gonna get a total rebuild..A few areas of the circuit that need uprating a bit looking at the Schematic.

Marco
30-05-2010, 23:08
Nice one, dude - that's good news! I was shocked when I saw you selling it :eek:

Marco.

Audiocom AV
31-05-2010, 11:05
Hi Mark,

Marco.

Hi Marco

The Ultraclock mk2 is the best clock, combined with the matching Ultraclock power supply.

IMO, you would need to use the CDP-R1 with ‘Twin-Link’ to benefit from the Ultraclock system.

Aside from the Bybee, there are still room for improvements in the analogue stage, the LME49720HA for current-to-voltage conversion, AD825 for the analogue filter. This is the best combination I found for the DAS-R1 analogue stage.

I welcome your visit later in year :)

Best,
Mark

Marco
02-06-2010, 14:25
Hi Mark,

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I got caught up with a few things.

I take your point about the Ultraclock mk2, combined with the matching Ultraclock power supply; however I may still take the plunge and see what happens ;)

How much is that particular modification, and is there any other clock mod between it and the Superclock 4 I currently have in the DAS-R1? :)

Also, how much would it be to have the LME49720HA for current-to-voltage conversion and AD825 for the analogue filter mods fitted, and could this be carried out when Ian and I visit, presuming we arrived early enough and allowed you sufficient time to do the job? :cool:

Marco.

DSJR
02-06-2010, 16:45

Marco.

I don't need inflatables dear, me bits dropped off ten years ago.....:eek:

Audiocom AV
03-06-2010, 06:52
Hi Mark,

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I got caught up with a few things.

I take your point about the Ultraclock mk2, combined with the matching Ultraclock power supply; however I may still take the plunge and see what happens ;)

How much is that particular modification, and is there any other clock mod between it and the Superclock 4 I currently have in the DAS-R1? :)

Also, how much would it be to have the LME49720HA for current-to-voltage conversion and AD825 for the analogue filter mods fitted, and could this be carried out when Ian and I visit, presuming we arrived early enough and allowed you sufficient time to do the job? :cool:

Marco.

Hi Marco

No problem.

The Ultraclock mk2 & Ultraclock PSU costs £910.63 including VAT, but excluding installation.

We have two clocks, the Superclock 4 or Ultraclock mk2, nothing in the middle.

The clock & PSU would require any overnight stay for surgery, maybe two.
I will send you an e-mail about pricing to you as a return customer, and Superclock 4 to trade-in. :)

When you visit I hope to be able to demonstrate more than one option, including Bybee products, and then we can go with your preferred choice.

The LME49720HA & AD825 parts are not expensive, approx. £30.00 inclusive. This modification may also require an overnight stay since the entire audio board has to be remove to install the parts.

BTW, I should have 2 new DAC’s for you to listen too when you visit; the Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 which uses the Sabre ES9018 32-Bit DAC. Also the Zodiac + DAC with its 64-bit algorithms and Oven Controlled Clock. I hope to report on the sound of both of these DAC’s soon in a separate thread.

Best,
Mark

Marco
03-06-2010, 12:23
Hi Mark,

That sounds really good! So would you be willing to put us up at your place for discounted B&B rates whilst the work is carried out? ;)

We'll bring the wine and beer! :cool:

Marco.

Audiocom AV
04-06-2010, 17:51
Hi Mark,

That sounds really good! So would you be willing to put us up at your place for discounted B&B rates whilst the work is carried out? ;)

We'll bring the wine and beer! :cool:

Marco.

Hi Marco

My turn to apologise now for the late reply :)

I see you have sent a PM so I will have a read and reply to that.

Best,
Mark

leo
04-06-2010, 19:00
Should be a fun couple of days for you Marco ;)

BTW the Superclock continues to improve, I even tried a few different PSU's to supply it, the differences are quite noticeable :eek:
The Ultraclock & its psu should prove very interesting if its even better

John
04-06-2010, 19:37
my experience was it took a good 250 hours to sound at its best

Marco
05-06-2010, 10:35
Hi Leo,

BTW the Superclock continues to improve, I even tried a few different PSU's to supply it, the differences are quite noticeable :eek:

It should be - I'm looking forward to it. People such as Anthony TD and Stan often get praise for their particular abilities, and deservedly so, but Mark is a master of all things digital and capable of transforming merely good equipment into something truly exceptional! :)

We just need to agree a mutually suitable date :cool:

Marco.

Audiocom AV
07-06-2010, 09:15
Hi Leo,

It should be - I'm looking forward to it. People such as Anthony TD and Stan often get praise for their particular abilities, and deservedly so, but Mark is a master of all things digital and capable of transforming merely good equipment into something truly exceptional! :)

We just need to agree a mutually suitable date :cool:

Marco.

Thanks Marco.

I have sent you a PM :)

Audiocom AV
07-06-2010, 22:21

Hi Leo

Glad to learn the sound continues to improve.

I cannot stress enough the importance of clock power supply.

Which type of power supplies have you tried?

BTW, the Ultraclock power supply combined with Superclock 4 is a killer sound :)

Best,
Mark

leo
08-06-2010, 15:52
Hi Leo

Glad to learn the sound continues to improve.

I cannot stress enough the importance of clock power supply.

Which type of power supplies have you tried?

BTW, the Ultraclock power supply combined with Superclock 4 is a killer sound :)

Best,
Mark

Hi Mark,

I first tried the stock SMPS just to see how much it affected performance, definitely a drop in sound quality
I then tried basic LM317 which was better than the SMPS , I then added a cap multiplier which improved things further, I then tried ALW super reg and standard Teddy reg which was also pretty good but for me so far I got best results running from the 9v PH PR3 used to run the Duet, I just added an inductor onto the lead feeding the input of Superclock4, I was even going to try a battery

I'm going to build a Superteddy reg supply and see how this compares, I want to try it with the Caiman dac , Duet etc anyway , I've got most of the components so just need the bare pcb .
Its fun trying all this stuff out comparing results :)

Cheers,
Leo

Audiocom AV
10-06-2010, 18:30
Hi Mark,

I first tried the stock SMPS just to see how much it affected performance, definitely a drop in sound quality
I then tried basic LM317 which was better than the SMPS , I then added a cap multiplier which improved things further, I then tried ALW super reg and standard Teddy reg which was also pretty good but for me so far I got best results running from the 9v PH PR3 used to run the Duet, I just added an inductor onto the lead feeding the input of Superclock4, I was even going to try a battery

I'm going to build a Superteddy reg supply and see how this compares, I want to try it with the Caiman dac , Duet etc anyway , I've got most of the components so just need the bare pcb .

Cheers,
Leo

Hi Leo

Did you go back to square one to try the SMPS with the Duet, or do you mean you used the SMPS to power the clock directly?

The Paul Hynes supplies are high performance and worth every penny.

Best,
Mark

leo
11-06-2010, 14:24
Hi Mark,

Sorry I wasn't very clear:) I tried going back to square one mainly because I'd like to see which mods bring the biggest gains, I also have a stock Duet receiver which is mainly used for reference.

Comparing the Superclocked Duet + Bybee on spdif against the stock Duet (both using SMPS ) is quite interesting, the modded one is noticeably better all around than the stock one to my ears.
Removing the SMPS and using a PR3 improves both units but now I find the gap between PR3 powered stock Duet and PR3 powered Superclocked Duet much greater .

So far, modding stock Duet with Superclock + Bybee on spdif or just PR3 with stock Duet prove to bring worthwhile gains but used together gives a real performance boost!
Whats even more interesting is comparing stock Duet + SMPS against Superclocked/Bybee Duet + PR3, IMHO the stock Duet with SMPS sounds rather poor.
The other regs I tried was mainly to try and add more isolation from the Superclocks input and Duets input DC from the external psu , theres still a few things to try yet after the Superclocks fully run in.

Ali Tait
12-06-2010, 07:30
Agreed Leo.I had a quick listen to an unmodded one a while back and was very underwhelmed.Was the main reason I didn't get into this streaming malarky sooner.

James G
13-07-2010, 13:36
Hi Mark,

Cheers,
Leo
Hi Leo,

How are you coming along with your different power supplies? Have a new favorite? Have you ever tried a Never Connected power supply?

leo
13-07-2010, 20:24
Hi James,

I've not tried the Super Teddy regged supply with the Duet or Superclock4 yet, its currently being used with the Caiman but I will try it when I get time , its not hard adjusting the voltage etc.

I have tried the NCPSU but not with Superclock4

James G
17-07-2010, 23:25
Hi guys,

What does the adjustment screw on the top of the Superclock do?

leo
18-07-2010, 11:01
Hi guys,

What does the adjustment screw on the top of the Superclock do?

I think its for setting the frequency or voltage so DO NOT TOUCH IT !!!! :lol:

James G
19-07-2010, 00:33
I think its for setting the frequency or voltage so DO NOT TOUCH IT !!!! :lol:

Roger that! :)

leo
10-09-2010, 19:37
Finally got around to trying the Super Teddy regged supply with the Superclock 4 , it seems to work well . Even though this is an excellent clock the pre regged supply supplying it has an influence sonically so go for the best you can :)

Audiocom AV
11-09-2010, 09:18
Finally got around to trying the Super Teddy regged supply with the Superclock 4 , it seems to work well . Even though this is an excellent clock the pre regged supply supplying it has an influence sonically so go for the best you can :)

Hi Leo

Good work!

The clock power supply is very important, the better the power supply, the better the performance of the clock and resulting sound quality.

Cheers,
Mark

leo
23-09-2010, 22:15
Thanks Mark, I have been sent one of those QA550 card readers to play about with, it uses the same frequency as the Duet so I could try the Superclock4 with that too just to see how much it improves things, tbh I'm quite impressed with this SD player although its not the most user friendly of devices :)

Alkerion
27-06-2011, 22:26
Hi,

Just received a week ago my SC4 to mod my SB Receiver, but I'm not 100% sure how to install it.
No instructions about how to install it was delivered.
No mention of the clock speed or supported voltage indicated on the device.
No answer from Audiocom support for nearly a week.
etc...

I will appreciate if any of you can help me avoiding doing something wrong :
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/6546/sc4rp.th.jpg (http://img59.imageshack.us/i/sc4rp.jpg/)

Can I simply solder the clock like this ?
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/599/sc41y.th.jpg (http://img6.imageshack.us/i/sc41y.jpg/)
Found here :
http://www.lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/Squeezebox/SQB-Transport/squeezeboxtransport.html
That will avoid lots of parts removal and simplify the soldering.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BR

leo
27-06-2011, 23:29
Hi Yves, welcome to AOS.

Can you pop into the welcome Section of the forum and say hello before the forum owners nab you :)

You can use an unshelded cable from the Superclock4 output but keep it short as possible, I'd personally take out any not needed Receiver stock XO parts which are seen on the output of the new clock, I can't say how things will react if leaving the stock parts in.
I just run a single red wire for DC input (taken from a point near the DC input socket ) and run a single blue wire to the nearest ground to keep it short

BTW Audiocom may be a little busy, Marks always provided excellent service so I'm sure he'll be in touch soon as possible

leo
28-06-2011, 00:11
I'd be very cautious about how most of those mods have been implemented :doh: http://www.lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/Squeezebox/SQB-Transport/squeezeboxtransport.html

Alkerion
28-06-2011, 06:17
Hi Leo,

I'll use the shielded cable that comes with the SC4, and for sure will keep it as short as possible.

I'll also use a shielded power cable and connect the ground as you suggest to a nearest point.

What's the benefit of soldering a cable between bottom pad of Y2 and right hand side of R104 ?

Some people also connect the clock directly to the Xilink, did you try that solution ?

Did you use an insulation part between the clock and SB board ? I don't see anything.

BR

leo
28-06-2011, 20:46
Hi Leo,

I'll use the shielded cable that comes with the SC4, and for sure will keep it as short as possible.

I'll also use a shielded power cable and connect the ground as you suggest to a nearest point.

What's the benefit of soldering a cable between bottom pad of Y2 and right hand side of R104 ?

Some people also connect the clock directly to the Xilink, did you try that solution ?

Did you use an insulation part between the clock and SB board ? I don't see anything.

BR

Hi Yves,

I run separate regulation to the spdif buffer IC etc, these get their supply from near the DC input socket too. I need to update the thread when i get time.
I run the Superclock4 directly to the Xilinx (as in no circuitry inbetween), its just in a different position to make use of the larger pads on the pcb, soldering onto the Xilinx pin would be best but I thought some may find this way easier. If you feel confident , soldering it directly onto the Xilinx pin would be good:)
Regarding insulation, I fitted a couple of plastic spacers with sticky pads one side and a tie wrap on the other, for now the clock just sits on them to allow easy removal for trying in other stuff , its enough to stop it shorting anything .

BTW, hurry up and get it fitted then let us know what you think :eyebrows:

Alkerion
28-06-2011, 21:46
Hi Leo !

I've fitted the clock :
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/8606/55830603.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/6/55830603.jpg/)

Connected the + IN directly to V IN of J1 and used the GND to shield the cable.

Connected the clock GND IN to the nearest SB GND, just 2cm of cable (the green one).

Removed the useless parts around the original clock and soldered the clock to R104.

Added a 470uF caps to pin 3 and 9 of J9 as it's done here :
http://www.lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/Squeezebox/SQB-Transport/sqb-21.jpg

I was a bit anxious to turn power ON and face some smoke, but everything went OK and music is playing :-)

In term of sound quality I haven't yet noticed any differences between original clock and SC4, will see the next few days if things change.

BR

leo
30-06-2011, 01:47
Hi Yves,

Thats surprising, feeding an external dac I noticed a difference soon as Superclock4 had been fitted , the sound quality was up and down during the first few days, things then started getting much better after about a weeks run in. I think those Oscon caps take time to bed in, Anyway see how you go with it and keep us updated:)

Crom
14-02-2015, 19:35
...I started off using a Burson clock which I've had a while, I added attenuation on the output because it was set for 5v where as the one needed for the Duet is 3v3

I realise I am resurrecting an old thread but a comment you made in this very interesting post (thank you, by the way) makes me think that you may be able to help me with a query that has been bothering me for a while: I have swapped out a couple of the clocks on a motherboard that I am using as an audio streamer to good effect - a significant uplift in sound quality - but the southbridge XO input requires a much lower waveform voltage that the TCXO that I am using gives out.

You mention that you attenuated the clock output. I need to do the same but I have tried various methods without success (Rod coleman kindly suggested I use a capacitor divider on diya but the waveform refuses to budge) - how did you do it?

Many thanks,
Crom