PDA

View Full Version : Thorns td 160 super

moodybuilder
23-06-2019, 20:04
Hi all I’ve been trying a few times mats on my thorens so far tried the funk firm mat my crystal glass 6mm mat a cork mat and felt mat but none seem as good as the thorens mat that came with it just wondering if anyone has found the perfect mat for this tt or have I already found it
Cheers

Wakefield Turntables
24-06-2019, 07:43
I did a mat shout out on my garrard 301 and I found that the stock rubber 301 mat was excellent and only toppled by something costing several hundred pounds. I also found a similar result on my Lenco 75. I wouldn't put anything too heavy on the delicate Spring system as you can overload it and then knacker then effects it has from protecting the platter from motor vibration.

tlscapital
24-06-2019, 08:57
The mat thing takes into account 4 factors if ever. Not taking into account it's effective thickness that which is to compensate for non VTA adjustable tonearms.

The first one being the dampening factor that can be more or less relevant into regard of the turntable drive system and/or to the cartridge sensibility to magnetism.

This should affect playback as is the density of the mat. The denser it is the better the coupling of it's surface to the record flip-side. That which is preferred by most.

Then you have the static build-up and exchanger that most are logically struggling against. There the surface material of the mat can have a drastic impact.

Finally you have one's use with their records. For instance I play mainly 45's and need a soft enough surface to drop and pick up my singles while the platter is spinning...

So you can either purchase the expensive thing made of undisclosed NASA material or test with cheap bits of cork and soft leather first if it works for you or not.

curry49
09-08-2019, 23:39
I use a Lenco mat on my TD125. Deep-bass OK, and midbass especially tight and realistically 'punchy' (with the kickdrum in particular). Might work on a 160.

walpurgis
10-08-2019, 07:15
Hi all I’ve been trying a few times mats on my thorens so far tried the funk firm mat my crystal glass 6mm mat a cork mat and felt mat but none seem as good as the thorens mat that came with it just wondering if anyone has found the perfect mat for this tt or have I already found it
Cheers

There are turntables where the standard platter mat seems to give best results or at least very good results without spending on an expensive one. I've noticed this myself with Thorens TT's.

Wakefield Turntables
10-08-2019, 09:07
There are turntables where the standard platter mat seems to give best results or at least very good results without spending on an expensive one. I've noticed this myself with Thorens TT's.

linn lp12 springs to mind I remember massive discussion on the old linn forums about weave pattern etc. The garrard TTs also have extremely good mats.

struth
10-08-2019, 09:13
For what its worth, the double (2 thin mats)cork/rubber blend mats(with top disc cut out for label) I found to be best overall on my 160. followed by the 3mm funk.

johnN
10-08-2019, 11:40
Although no longer available, I have been using an Audioref mat on my Thorens 125 for the last 20+ years. This is a flat softish rubber/polymer type mat and was well regarded in the "flat earth" days.

I assume something similar may still be available today.

The Spectra and Dumpa mats, also from the 1980`s were of similar construction, if they are ever available s/h.

YNWaN
10-08-2019, 11:50
I’m really surprised you were able to try the glass mat at all as the Thorens suspension is too compliant to cope with that much mass. I’m also surprised you didn’t prefer the cork mat to the rubber one. In general, unless the platter needs the mat to stop it ringing, I’ve never liked soft rubber mats (hard ones are better but still not great).

curry49
10-08-2019, 14:32
Although no longer available, I have been using an Audioref mat on my Thorens 125 for the last 20+ years. This is a flat softish rubber/polymer type mat and was well regarded in the "flat earth" days.

I assume something similar may still be available today.

The Spectra and Dumpa mats, also from the 1980`s were of similar construction, if they are ever available s/h.

Very interesting!!! :)

johnN
11-08-2019, 11:37
Very interesting!!! :)

It`s probably not that interesting !, but if anyone is bored today there is some info on turntable mats, including the Audioref, in the following website. www.soundfountain.com/amb/ttmat.html.