PDA

View Full Version : Power amp puzzler

Iain Sinclair
01-06-2008, 21:36
I am puzzling over what to do about a power amp. My current one is a Border Patrol SE 300B model. I like the sound a lot, but worry about replacing valves; inadvertently leaving it switched on, burning the house down as a result etc etc.

So, for peace of mind, I'm pondering a move back to solid state. Speakers are easy to drive floorstanders; preamp is a Music First passive pre. I listen to almost every type of music except free jazz and rap. Budget is up to £1k -ish, though less would be good. No hang-ups re brand names, but must be idiot-proof and guaranteed not to blow up.

Comments/suggestions gratefully received.

Neil McCauley
01-06-2008, 21:53
I am puzzling over what to do about a power amp. My current one is a Border Patrol SE 300B model. I like the sound a lot, but worry about replacing valves; inadvertently leaving it switched on, burning the house down as a result etc etc.

So, for peace of mind, I'm pondering a move back to solid state. Speakers are easy to drive floorstanders; preamp is a Music First passive pre. I listen to almost every type of music except free jazz and rap. Budget is up to £1k -ish, though less would be good. No hang-ups re brand names, but must be idiot-proof and guaranteed not to blow up. Perhaps a Sansui 719 or a Luxman 507X or 308.

My vote is for a Meridian 101b/103d pre/power combo. Fast, dynamic, elegant visually, bullet proof, reliable, still serviced by the makers, dirt cheap on e-bay. They built bigger and they built more complicated BUT they never in my view EVER built any amp more musically satisfying. Not even close.

Or more up to date, a Musical Fidelity X-T100. Truly a classic in the making. Perhaps a Sansui 719 or a Luxman 507X or 308? From time to time I use an Audiolab 8000Q; another damn fine unit. I'd even give a home to a Naim NAIT-1. Really rather good, even today.

WikiBoy
01-06-2008, 21:54

So, for peace of mind, I'm pondering a move back to solid state. Speakers are easy to drive floorstanders; preamp is a Music First passive pre. I listen to almost every type of music except free jazz and rap. Budget is up to £1k -ish, though less would be good. No hang-ups re brand names, but must be idiot-proof and guaranteed not to blow up.

Nothing is guaranteed not to blow up. A guarantee is a contract to sort you out if it does.

The product doesn't exist where none have failed.

Filterlab
02-06-2008, 10:32
Well, I do love my Audiolabs, they may be worth a listen. I currently just have an 8000P which seems to happily drive anything - even electrostats. You should be able to pick up a pair of 8000M monoblocks for well within your budget, oh, folk will tell you the newer ones aren't as good as the originals - this is nonsense as there are a couple of upgrades on the newer ones.

What sort of sound do you like?

Marco
02-06-2008, 12:11

Hi Iain,

I know where you're coming from but I would think long and hard before reverting back to solid-state as, quite simply, there is no solid-state amplifier that will sound anything like your BP, especially as you like its sound a lot. I personally couldn't live with solid-state amps now having got used to the more natural way valves reproduce musical information. Unfortunately I predict a tale of woe should you do go down this road, but it's up to you.

Worrying about leaving your valve amp switched on is one matter, but I wouldn't worry about replacing valves as there are a multitude of places where you can buy them from these days, even NOS ones, so that shouldn't really be an issue.

However, if you are determined to go down the solid-state route again then I would aim for something Class A, which will help ease the transition. A second-hand Sugden A21 would be ideal, as it sounds 'valve-like' but also has some of the valued attributes of solid-state. M.A.X have one for sale just now for £599. It is shown in their sale list in this month's Hi-Fi World but you should check direct with M.A.X for details:

sales@midlandaudiox-change.co.uk or Tel: 01562 731100.

Another Class A option, should one be available second-hand or ex-demo at the right price, is the Usher Class A power amp. I have heard one of these and they are absolutely fantastic. See Sound Hi-fi for details:

www.SoundHiFi.com (or 01803 833366)

Apart from the Class A options, another one to consider is the Albarry M408 monoblocks, which were discussed on the forum recently. Check out the thread and pictures therein (pictures are on page 2 post #15):

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=473

Midland HiFi studio in Wolverhampton have a pair of M408s for sale at the moment, including the AP4 preamp, for £425. Contact: 01902 380083 or email: hifi3.zone@blueyonder.co.uk

I heard the M408s recently at a friend's house and they were superb. You can read my thoughts on the thread above. And then of course there is NVA, if Richard has got anything suitable at a price you can afford.

Hope this helps :)

Marco.

Togil
02-06-2008, 12:30
Also consider Nuforce 9SE

Forget everything you've heard or read about them as they are highly dependent on the speakers used e.g. they work well with Quad ESLs

Filterlab
02-06-2008, 12:40
Also consider Nuforce 9SE

Forget everything you've heard or read about them as they are highly dependent on the speakers used e.g. they work well with Quad ESLs

Not really available for £1000 though, fantastic amplifiers nevertheless! I heard a pair of these amps in Manchester, knocked me sideways!

Togil
02-06-2008, 17:02
Not really available for £1000 though, fantastic amplifiers nevertheless! I heard a pair of these amps in Manchester, knocked me sideways!

Oops , sorry. It was meant more as an alternative to Marco's Class A idea.

alb
02-06-2008, 18:23
Iain.

Best advice from me would be to buy something very saleable just in case you don't feel like keeping it long.
Don't sell your BP till you are sure.
I swapped between valves and solid state for a few years, but when i discovered efficient speakers there was no going back.
Good luck.

Ali Tait
02-06-2008, 19:02
If you are set on getting a sand amp then I'd agree with Marco about the Sugden.I used an original wooden-sleeve a21 for quite a while and it's a very good amp,and you can pick one up for peanuts.AFAIK the more modern versions may use more up to date components,but the circuit is still identical to the original,a testament to the design in the first place IMHO,since it must be around 40 years old by now.I think it will suffer in comparison to your BP though.In fact I would say you will find it very difficult to find a satisfying sand amp if you like what valves do,especially in SE.I still have my Sugden,to use as a benchmark as I know it's sound very well,but it doesn't hold a candle to my 845SE to my ears,or indeed the WAD 300b PSE I used to have.I'm not a valve evangelist,I just use them because they simply sound far better than any solid-state amp I've heard to date to my ears.If I found one,I would buy it! To me,even a mediocre valve amp still does things no sand amp I've heard does.I'll duck behind my parapet now! :)

Filterlab
02-06-2008, 21:01
Oops , sorry. It was meant more as an alternative to Marco's Class A idea.

That's ok, I was going to ask you to get me four at that price! :lol:

Iain Sinclair
02-06-2008, 23:08
Thanks all for the advice. I'm finding myself becoming persuaded to stick with what I've got; listening this evening the BP sounded better than ever!

With regard to some specifics; the sound I like is open, airy, with plenty of depth; not bothered about tiny details, but the music must 'flow'. I also want something that sounds good at low volumes and which doesn't rely solely on loudness to make its point.

Of the several amps suggested, the only ones I've heard are the Audiolabs, which didn't really 'work' for me, and the Nait, which I heard so long ago I can't really comment on.

I think the best bet will be for me to borrow something on spec for a few weeks, for comparison, but I have a sneaky feeling that for the money I've got, I'm unlikely to better, or even equal, the BP.

Thanks again chaps, your comments have been very helpful, even if, or perhaps because, no single solution has emerged.

tfarney
03-06-2008, 00:28
Excellent! You got through that one without spending money. Always a positive.

Tim

Filterlab
03-06-2008, 21:09
I'm glad we could be of help, even if it means you do nothing - proof that what you have is what you want of course. ;)

Iain Sinclair
03-06-2008, 21:38
I'm glad we could be of help, even if it means you do nothing - proof that what you have is what you want of course. ;)

Doing nothing is easy and cheap. Of course, if the house burns down it'll be all your fault!

Filterlab
03-06-2008, 22:18
D'oh! I'm just wondering if my contents insurance covers your house. :scratch:

jandl100
04-06-2008, 08:19
Well, if you do decide to re-visit your decision .....

As an (ex-)owner of NVA A80 solid state monoblocks, I can heartily recommend them.

Easily among the best ss amps I've heard, they have quite a few traits of valve amps, too - a including a natural, fluid misicality, but with a 'grip' that will bring a grin to your face that most valve amps cannot even dream of! The 'lesser' power amps in the NVA range are good too - and your passive pre would be perfect for any of them.

OK, so I've 'moved on' to a Krell KSA50, but that's just the box-swapper in me, I really enjoyed my time with the NVAs.

(Oh ... and don't be put off by Richard's forum persona :doh: - he's the height of pleasant, helpful professionalism when he has his Sales Hat on. :))

Marco
04-06-2008, 08:29
It's a pity, Jerry, he can't be "the height of pleasant, helpful professionalism" when he's on forums, too! I don't understand why he can't be the same as he apparently is in real life :confused:

That said, his amps obviously have something very good to offer, as their reputation is excellent.

Marco.

Iain Sinclair
05-06-2008, 18:24
I don't know why people get themselves banned from fora. It's never happened to me!

Filterlab
05-06-2008, 20:17
I don't know why people get themselves banned from fora.

Nor me Iain. Some folk just can't go on a forum without causing trouble.

Thankfully though it is rare and the vast majority of people just enjoy themselves chatting about their hobby / passion with like minded folk. :)

Iain Sinclair
05-06-2008, 21:07
Thankfully though it is rare and the vast majority of people just enjoy themselves chatting about their hobby / passion with like minded folk. :)

Speaking of which, the Border Patrol is weaving its magic as I type. I've definitely decided it's a 'keeper' after my wobble earlier this week!

alb
05-06-2008, 21:18
Great news. Keep the faith.

Filterlab
05-06-2008, 21:25
Speaking of which, the Border Patrol is weaving its magic as I type. I've definitely decided it's a 'keeper' after my wobble earlier this week!

Blimey, you were never going to beat a Border Patrol for £1000, unless you got a serious bargain. Glad you're happy with it though, nice when one is really able to appreciate a hi-fi without worrying when/where the next upgrade will be. :)

Marco
06-06-2008, 07:53
Excellent, Iain. You've definitely made the sensible and right decision. I was a bit worried for you before!

Marco.