PDA

View Full Version : How Much....??? (Don't make me laugh)

thingfish
12-06-2019, 11:36
Thought I would start this thread .... It's for you to let us know if you find things fairly priced or otherwise......Ta.

Example I can buy a similar DAC from China for £50 but a respectable UK company flogs same at £5000.....

Etc etc etc........I don't know, is it a snob thing, a brand name thing,
Or just the way it is....(Hooty and the Blowfish).?

Don't jump.......You Bruce Hornsby fans.

Things can be receptive.

Or is that deceptive.

Macca
12-06-2019, 12:12
Free market dictates that anyone can ask whatever ridiculous price they want for whatever tat they are pushing. Doesn't mean I have to pay it so I don't. Fair or unfair doesn't really enter into it.

DACs do amaze me though. You can pay from five pound up to fifty thousand pounds all for a simple device that should perform its duty faultlessly at pretty much any price point. Still, keeps the economy going I suppose.

Lawrence001
12-06-2019, 12:15
Free market dictates that anyone can ask whatever ridiculous price they want for whatever tat they are pushing. Doesn't mean I have to pay it so I don't. Fair or unfair doesn't really enter into it.

DACs do amaze me though. You can pay from five pound up to fifty thousand pounds all for a simple device that should perform its duty faultlessly at pretty much any price point. Still, keeps the economy going I suppose.Agreed but freedom of expression means we can also have whatever view we want on those prices and comment on them as long as it's not libel. Or rude about someone with a trade account on here!

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

thingfish
12-06-2019, 12:22
Of course.. Laurence...God forbid we send a wee shiver of remorse up a reputable dealers back.

Barry
12-06-2019, 12:31
Audio interconnects and mains cables come to mind. :D

thingfish
12-06-2019, 12:37
Well Mark Grants a Monkey....£50 +

Or

Nordost vallhala, the entire Zoo....£5000+ to you sir.

Macca
12-06-2019, 12:37
You can pay crazy money for any item of hi-fi kit or accessory, not just cables. Check out these, £750 for three! https://www.futureshop.co.uk/entreq-es-pad-ultimate-equipment-speaker-support-pack-of-3?msclkid=51f636f9ed961b1ddbe66bf91c8f7783&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Entreq&utm_term=%5BEntreq%20ES%20Pad%20Speaker%20Support&utm_content=Accessories

Cable lifters are my favorite but they all tend to be price on request, presumably to stop people like me linking to it in ridicule. Imagine if everything was reasonably priced, how boring would that be?

thingfish
12-06-2019, 12:50
Fuses.....gotta be prepared to splash out on them though.

Because it's a safety thing......I would rather spend £65 on a top notch audio 13A fuse than tuppence for a 13A out of poundstrecher.

Barry
12-06-2019, 13:37
Fuses.....gotta be prepared to splash out on them though.

Because it's a safety thing......I would rather spend £65 on a top notch audio 13A fuse than tuppence for a 13A out of poundstrecher.

Beware of cheap fuses (as you might find in pound shops). They are Chinese copies of reputable brands such as Bussmann: virtually identical in appearance so it is hard to spot the counterfeits - but they weigh less than genuine items, are often slightly shorter and the finish of the end caps is also different. Despite being marked as conforming to BS1362, these counterfeits can explode under fault conditions.

thingfish
12-06-2019, 14:04
Thanks for that Barry, I will try to be vigilant.

I guess anything can be faked in this day and age.

:cool:

Spectral Morn
12-06-2019, 14:17
The price of Jammy Dodgers has got crazy recently. Never mind the increasing down grading in the size of stuff in the packets. Paying more, for less.

thingfish
12-06-2019, 14:24
Neil .....Alas this is a true reflection of most biscuits.

The wrapper grows the content shrinks

When did you last measure yer head.....!!!!

:D

Spectral Morn
12-06-2019, 14:25
Neil .....Alas this is a true reflection of most biscuits.

The wrapper grows the content shrinks

When did you last measure yer head.....!!!!

Its amazing how much is revealed by so little ;)

thingfish
12-06-2019, 14:41
Ah tis perhaps revelations and not the truth you seek Neil........

Ponder yon.......

Behold, I have set before you an open door, which no one is able to shut. I know that you have but little power, and yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name.

:ner:

Marco
12-06-2019, 14:58
Huv ye seen the price of boiler suits these days, especially cheeky wee red ones like these:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/Kx4ASy.jpg

:D:eyebrows:

Marco.

Marco
12-06-2019, 15:00
Not tae mention pure gorgeous grey 'taps', like these, fae Matalan:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/fZjQ0V.jpg

Now sold with packs of sports socks, for more than two fivers!

:lol::lol:

;)

Marco.

Gaz
14-06-2019, 21:43
In my opinion it's up to the individual what they want to pay for things.
What does annoy me is when somebody who has paid a lot for something tries to.
A. Influence others to do the same by insisting it must be better because it cost more
B. Suggesting any similar product below a certain price point is inferior.
C. Anyone disagreeing with A and B is blind/deaf/stupid.

Avoiding hifi for an example, it's pretty much a quantifiable fact that Japanese and Korean cars are more reliable than German cars. Yet German car owners (and motoring journalists) still harp on about their quality.

mad-moon
14-06-2019, 22:14
A. Influence others to do the same by insisting it must be better because it cost more

Avoiding hifi for an example, it's pretty much a quantifiable fact that Japanese and Korean cars are more reliable than German cars. Yet German car owners (and motoring journalists) still harp on about their quality.

Change the record

Joe
15-06-2019, 09:37
We need some new cliches!

Seriously, though, the whole price/value for money thing is such a can of worms. Above the most basic food, shelter and clothing, price ranges are determined by what the market will bear, which in turn is driven by supply and demand. If no-one bought £65 fuses, no-one would sell them. Ditto £100 pairs of jeans, £500 shoes, £5,000 watches and £150,000 cars.

Personally, I couldn't care less what other people choose to spend their money on, and I would expect them to be similarly unconcerned about my spending choices.

Marco
15-06-2019, 13:22
Totally agree with this, Gary:

Indeed, fighting the war against overpriced/underperforming 'badge-fi', expensive for the wrong reasons, is fundamentally what AoS is all about. However, this:

...it's pretty much a quantifiable fact that Japanese and Korean cars are more reliable than German cars. Yet German car owners (and motoring journalists) still harp on about their quality.

...is more an educated generalisation than a fact, as it it depends on a whole raft of factors, and crucially on comparing like for like within a certain price range. Also, define "quality", in the context of the above? That largely depends on what the car is being used for and what kind of driver you are.

In reality, "quality" means different things to different people, and if you're a genuine car enthusiast and love driving nice, sporty cars with high-performance engines [count me in], what's likely to be ultimately more important to you: driving a boring car that's reliable and lasts for years, or one that lasts for not quite as long, but puts a BIG GRIN on your face, every time you get behind the wheel?;)

BMW 330i M Sport vs. Toyota Camry Hybrid 2.5? I know which one I'd choose, even if it didn't last as long or needed more work to maintain!:eyebrows:

Marco.

Shovel_Knight
15-06-2019, 13:48
£500 shoes

I bought a pair of Red Wings that were very close to this price and they're flippin' amazing, the most comfortable pair of footwear I have ever owned AND I'm pretty sure they will be fine for many, many years to come.

A much better investment than buying cheap footwear every season.

scotty38
15-06-2019, 14:13
BMW 330i M Sport vs. Toyota Camry Hybrid 2.5? I know which one I'd choose

Marco.

Didn't have you down as a Toyota man....

Marco
15-06-2019, 14:36
Ha - very good!:D

Marco.

mad-moon
15-06-2019, 15:59

Indeed, fighting the war against overpriced/underperforming 'badge-fi', expensive for the wrong reasons, is fundamentally what AoS is all about. However, this:

...is more an educated generalisation than a fact, as it it depends on a whole raft of factors, and crucially on comparing like for like within a certain price range. Also, define "quality", in the context of the above? That largely depends on what the car is being used for and what kind of driver you are.

In reality, "quality" means different things to different people, and if you're a genuine car enthusiast and love driving nice, sporty cars with high-performance engines [count me in], what's likely to be ultimately more important to you: driving a boring car that's reliable and lasts for years, or one that lasts for not quite as long, but puts a BIG GRIN on your face, every time you get behind the wheel?;)

BMW 330i M Sport vs. Toyota Camry Hybrid 2.5? I know which one I'd choose, even if it didn't last as long or needed more work to maintain!:eyebrows:

Marco.

so you'd pick the BMW because you have to spend more money to buy it and a lot more money to run and maitain it...as the leader of the site, you shouldn't be advising people to buy the money pit, just because that's what you prefer and your bank account is a bottomless pit.....shame on you....:nono:

Alex_UK
15-06-2019, 16:05

Marco.

Well, you have to go down to #20 in this list (https://www.reliabilityindex.com/top-100) of the top 100 most reliable cars in the UK before you get to a German car, (VW Polo) and there's not even a BMW in the whole top 100...

But I agree with you, I'd still buy the BMW!

mad-moon
15-06-2019, 16:15
Well, you have to go down to #20 in this list (https://www.reliabilityindex.com/top-100) of the top 100 most reliable cars in the UK before you get to a German car, (VW Polo) and there's not even a BMW in the whole top 100...

But I agree with you, I'd still buy the BMW!

crawley pants

Alex_UK
15-06-2019, 16:23
crawley pants

:lol:

I had a 1980 Mitsubishi Colt Gallant back in the late '80s and it put me off Japanese cars for life - rear wheel drive and in the wet it was an absolute nightmare - spun it twice, 2nd time managing to remove the sump by smashing over a fire hydrant sign... Put me off Japanese cars ever since!

mad-moon
15-06-2019, 17:13
Oh bloody hell...I'm driving a Mitsubishi Eclipse.....:whistle:

Alex_UK
15-06-2019, 17:50
Well, back on to "how much?" - I've just got the washing in, and fed up of cheap plastic pegs that break or come apart, or wooden ones that rot and stain, decided to find "the World's best Clothes Pegs" (I know, First World problem...) and apparently these are they - https://stainlesssteelclothespegs.co.uk/product/pincinox-stainless-steel-clothes-pin/ £17 for 20 pegs, but, they have a lifetime guarantee, and can be left out all year round. For utilitarian items like this I'm a strong believer in "buy cheap buy twice". My wife thinks I'm crazy spending this much on clothes pegs, but as I get older, for stupid stuff like this I want to buy something that will last me the rest of my life. Maybe they'll become a family heirloom! :lol:

Ninanina
16-06-2019, 16:19
:rfl:

However did we get to clothes pegs..... :doh:

They do look great though...:eyebrows:

Marco
16-06-2019, 21:11
I'm more impressed with Alex bringing the washing in!:D

I can just picture him in his pinny and hair rollers, chatting to a female neighbour across the fence about the price of mince:lol:

Marco.

Alex_UK
16-06-2019, 21:45
https://media2.giphy.com/media/S8oTOZY8RyIve/giphy.gif

mad-moon
17-06-2019, 07:43
You're a proper Queen...:eyebrows:

mad-moon
17-06-2019, 07:45
I'm more impressed with Alex bringing the washing in!:D

I can just picture him in his pinny and hair rollers, chatting to a female neighbour across the fence about the price of mince:lol:

Marco.

Are you suggeting that he is a mincer??

Marco
17-06-2019, 07:50
I'm not suggesting it - just stating facts!:lol:

And he lurves it.....

Marco.

Alex_UK
17-06-2019, 08:58
https://media.giphy.com/media/XmiTYLQ5qXTqM/giphy.gif

Marco
17-06-2019, 09:11
:D:eyebrows:

mad-moon
17-06-2019, 19:33
the boy can dance

Marco
17-06-2019, 19:39
He knows how to sashay like Sasha :dance::dance:

:eyebrows::eyebrows:

Marco.

Pigmy Pony
20-06-2019, 17:57
Well, back on to "how much?" - I've just got the washing in, and fed up of cheap plastic pegs that break or come apart, or wooden ones that rot and stain, decided to find "the World's best Clothes Pegs" (I know, First World problem...) and apparently these are they - https://stainlesssteelclothespegs.co.uk/product/pincinox-stainless-steel-clothes-pin/ £17 for 20 pegs, but, they have a lifetime guarantee, and can be left out all year round. For utilitarian items like this I'm a strong believer in "buy cheap buy twice". My wife thinks I'm crazy spending this much on clothes pegs, but as I get older, for stupid stuff like this I want to buy something that will last me the rest of my life. Maybe they'll become a family heirloom! :lol:

If I paid 17 bones for 20 clothes pegs, I certainly wouldn't be leaving them outside - round here they'd disappear overnight.

Alex_UK
20-06-2019, 18:01
If I paid 17 bones for 20 clothes pegs, I certainly wouldn't be leaving them outside - round here they'd disappear overnight.Damn I should have thought of that and climbed over a few garden fences before I spent all that money! And now I'm going to have to see if there's such a thing as a lockable peg basket. [emoji38]

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Joe
20-06-2019, 18:06

We've still got the wooden clothes pegs we bought from Woolworths twenty or so years ago for a fiver. To be fair we rarely hang clothes outside to dry.

Ninanina
20-06-2019, 18:10
I just use the tumble dryer... I've never put any clothes out on the line..

Joe
20-06-2019, 18:13
Our pegs are mainly used to seal up opened packets of cereals these days.

Barry
20-06-2019, 18:15

Moi aussi, though hanging out washing to dry costs much less than using a dryer - it's free.

Alex_UK
20-06-2019, 18:17
Must admit there's nothing worse than towels dried on the line - even in the summer they need a spin in the tumble. Apparently the Pincinox pegs are perfect for cereal packet duties too, but then they would say that as they want me to keep splurging money on them!

Pigmy Pony
20-06-2019, 18:22
Must admit there's nothing worse than towels dried on the line - even in the summer they need a spin in the tumble. Apparently the Pincinox pegs are perfect for cereal packet duties too, but then they would say that as they want me to keep splurging money on them!

Do they sell them separately? I might get one to hang up outside the toilet.

Pigmy Pony
20-06-2019, 18:25
Damn I should have thought of that and climbed over a few garden fences before I spent all that money! And now I'm going to have to see if there's such a thing as a lockable peg basket. [emoji38]

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Lockable peg basket - good idea, though you'll need a good quality ground anchor to prevent the basket getting nicked. Getting to be less and less of a bargain

Alex_UK
20-06-2019, 18:29
Do they sell them separately?

No, but maybe there's a business opportunity here for me, I could bulk buy sell them singly along with little bunches of lucky heather. That might work outside the toilet, too?

Pigmy Pony
20-06-2019, 18:52
No, but maybe there's a business opportunity here for me, I could bulk buy sell them singly along with little bunches of lucky heather. That might work outside the toilet, too?

You could be onto something there Alex. Also sitting down and listing all the possible applications should widen their appeal. I'm not saying you should use the words 'nipple clamps', or even comment on their electrical conductivity, but some other uses we have already touched on.

Ninanina
20-06-2019, 18:53

:rfl:

Marco
20-06-2019, 19:10

Indeed... Beware the midnight washing-line raiders. Alex was once a champion!:D

Your knickers could be at risk (but only after the hot weather's over)....;)

Marco.

Ninanina
20-06-2019, 19:17
Funny but I'd find my nicks being nicked quite sexy... oops... :doh:

struth
20-06-2019, 21:02
Funny but I'd find my nicks being nicked quite sexy... oops... :doh:I'd find mine being nicked, perverted lol

Ninanina
20-06-2019, 21:09
We are all different I guess

Alex_UK
20-06-2019, 21:26
In that case I promise not to nick yours, Grant. Bev on the other hand had better watch her smalls! :eyebrows: :lol:

struth
20-06-2019, 21:29
Mine are probably more use as a tent

Alex_UK
20-06-2019, 21:32

:rfl: Draught proof, then? :D

Pigmy Pony
20-06-2019, 21:34

Only if they come with a wipe-clean groundsheet...

Joe
20-06-2019, 21:37
We are all different I guess

I'm not. I'm exactly the same.

struth
20-06-2019, 21:37
Reversible to avoid dampness

Marco
20-06-2019, 23:17
Didn't think you bothered with scants now, and just went in your adult nappy:D

Marco.

perlogalism
02-07-2019, 10:43
Well after reading this I had to go and have a look and, as there was a few quid in the Amazon account I made an impulse buy. ' have to say I'm VERY impressed (you'd hope so at that price wouldn't you) more to the point, the missus is too! We live in a very windy area but these keep even heavy towels secure in a gale. Money well spent!

Alex_UK
02-07-2019, 11:32
Ha Ha! Nice one Mike, good to meet another peg aficionado! :D I think my Mrs still thinks I'm mad, but secretly she loves them too! :lol: I ended up buying more so now have enough to fill the whole line and banish all the old plastic ones to the recycling! More to the point, I'll hopefully never have to worry about clothes pegs again in my life! :)