PDA

View Full Version : FS Audio Research Ref75 amp

farflungstar
10-06-2019, 12:22
I will regret this but I've decided to put my Audio Research Ref 75 up for sale. Gulp. I need the money. Simple.

I've had it since November of 2017 and it had a complete service and retube a short while ago and has been in storage some of the time since (I moved house). The service was 800€ not including tubes. I believe I have the receipt for this in the box but if not will have it by email.

It's been set up and running on and off this past few months and is in A1 cosmetic and functional spec. It sounds superb though the tubes have had very few hours on them.

It has the original shipping boxes, paperwork etc. It also comes with Cardas RCA/Balanced input connectors (120€) so it can be used with a conventional unbalanced preamp.

The box is big and this beast is heavy. Shipping would be with UPS Priority fully insured and will not be cheap (it's the insurance). But this can be arranged separately once destination is known. If the buyer prefers a cheaper option it is their responsibility.

There are a few for sale online and the average price is circa €5000. Mine comes with new tubes (300€), service (800€) and peace of mind that it's in perfect condition.

I'd always wanted to own an Audio Research reference product, so this isn't a happy sale for me. But I need the cash, simple as. No I won't be replacing it for the foreseeable future - and I have no idea what it will be when I do.

Looking for €3,900, postage aside. PM if interested.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190610/631bf8597713874a58e8e0f8889c68c4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190610/9b171eb6e39f3c4496d366da35adc146.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190610/4aa450120cee36afc2bc92404bd6b6ed.jpg

farflungstar
11-06-2019, 08:33
I will take some internal shots today and post.

If you're looking for an end game valve amp from the most respected in the business look no further. A quick Google will reward with some excellent reviews.

Adey

WESTLOWER
11-06-2019, 09:17
A beautiful looking Amp Adrian.
Price looks very fair to boot
GLWTS

farflungstar
26-08-2019, 08:18
Okay so I need to raise cash asap, sooo I'm going to drop the price to a ridiculous €2900 - an absolute bargain for a class act, mint condition and fully serviced and retubed reference amp. Postage to be agreed.

PM if interested.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190826/7928bb064d6767cdb007ad4a9a1f9f87.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190826/8345789ab22596326b4c26294bb2084b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190826/f06bdd0c21fda83acfe77408f302d7e0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190826/c8a6cf4a6804e50b3ed51db64c0edb40.jpg

Old boy
26-08-2019, 17:02
That is ridiculous !

Haselsh1
26-08-2019, 17:47
Absolutely stunning piece of hardware :thumbsup:

Discopants
26-08-2019, 20:45
Whats that dark circle on top of the gold and black capacitor ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

farflungstar
27-08-2019, 08:12
It must be a slight shadow, the caps are perfect.

It was fully serviced and works beautifully. There's no catch, no hidden problem - just a need to raise cash.

Discopants
27-08-2019, 08:19
It must be a slight shadow, the caps are perfect.

It was fully serviced and works beautifully. There's no catch, no hidden problem - just a need to raise cash.

No doubt it looks mint and superb, but that still doesn’t look like a shadow. Was thinking it might be something they added to improve the performance, possibly some damper..... just interested.

Anyway sorry to comment on your sales thread. Looks like a genuine bargain at this latest price. GLWTS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

farflungstar
27-08-2019, 08:24
Ah the gold and black cap - there are two - both have the little black dot. Part of the design - not sure why unless it marks the positive/negative.

Holy Moses
27-08-2019, 13:16
PM'd (I think)

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Barry
27-08-2019, 14:20
Joe you need to make 5 posts before you can use the PM facility.

farflungstar
27-08-2019, 14:29
No PM...

STD305M
27-08-2019, 15:11
Hi
Fantastic amp at an incredible price.
Wish you had posted a month ago, i paid
Quite a bit more and would have snapped your arm of at the price your offering.

Quite a superb amp and price....

S.

Holy Moses
27-08-2019, 15:45
Drat!
Apologies all for being a numpty, and thank you for your generous direction.
Hopefully be back shortly. Just off to be cyber sociable.

Holy Moses
27-08-2019, 15:59
In the meantime, please may I ask; Are there any differences at all, no matter how small, between this unit and a UK one?
Apart from the shape of the plug on the end of the mains cable of course.

farflungstar
27-08-2019, 16:06
In the meantime, please may I ask; Are there any differences at all, no matter how small, between this unit and a UK one?
Apart from the shape of the plug on the end of the mains cable of course.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TapatalkIt's exactly the same as a UK model 240v AC. It came from a UK dealer. The service was done here by the authorised dealer in Valencia.

Adey

Non-Smoking Man
27-08-2019, 18:26
PM sent on behalf of new member Batteredhaggis.

batteredhaggis
27-08-2019, 21:57
Hi Adrian. I've been trying to contact you through various channels since about 9.30 this morning, but ran head first into the AoS Welcome policy.

No fault of AoS whatsoever but it does mean that as a long term member of another forum, you can't just respond immediately to an ad on this forum, no matter what. Fair enough! I don't sign up to most things rapidly :-)

Having been through the not-especially-unpleasant hoops to join (and if still available) I am indeed interested and willing to talk about shipping options. Jack is my friend beyond mere hifi matters and I know you and he had very successful dealings. I'm sure he will vouch for me.

Regards,
Jamie

graham67
27-08-2019, 22:38
Hi Adrian,
You can be assured that Jamie is a gent and a top guy to deal with.
ATB
Graham

batteredhaggis
27-08-2019, 23:58
Thanks Graham, thanks chaps. I'm slightly in awe of the thing that is 'social media for nerds'.

First thing this morning I saw an ad for an amp I've dreamed of for a long time. The next thing I came up against is that although I registered on AoS quite a while ago, I hadn't realised I had to make a proper introduction of myself to the forum before I could post. Not a problem, but hardly conducive to answering this gentleman's advert. The next thing I realise is that the seller is known to me through a dear friend (Jack, NSM) who bought his Cary monoblocks from him (Adrian) in Spain. Various of my Wam friends have been trying to contact Adrian throughout the day while I stumbled through the AoS initiation process, and although I love a joke and could happily join any thread, I will not butt into this forum on a pretext, so it has been an interesting afternoon catching up with people I genuinely know in order to accrue the coveted five posts necessary to be able to contact the original poster of the ad. Glad to see some familiar faces here.

Having done all that, I'm amused and somewhat delighted that the other gent interested in this amp is in a similar situation, having not been a member until yesterday. According to his introductory thread he immediately appealed to the mods for a direct line to Adrian, the seller (and it would appear, to have been instantly granted such). I don't mean this to sound like sour grapes. It's a piece of kit and not important in the scheme of things (although the seller may well think it is). Others might take umbrage at this but what particularly aligns me to my 'competitor' is that he and his family are making their tortuous way back from 'the wilds of Scotland' and as someone who has been denied his fix of said wilds this year, I empathise in every way with that statement. There is no finer place on earth. It's bloody hot. May you and your family return home safely.

In the end, it's just stuff. I'd dearly love to hear a Ref 75 one day.

Lawrence001
28-08-2019, 01:32
Thanks Graham, thanks chaps. I'm slightly in awe of the thing that is 'social media for nerds'.

First thing this morning I saw an ad for an amp I've dreamed of for a long time. The next thing I came up against is that although I registered on AoS quite a while ago, I hadn't realised I had to make a proper introduction of myself to the forum before I could post. Not a problem, but hardly conducive to answering this gentleman's advert. The next thing I realise is that the seller is known to me through a dear friend (Jack, NSM) who bought his Cary monoblocks from him (Adrian) in Spain. Various of my Wam friends have been trying to contact Adrian throughout the day while I stumbled through the AoS initiation process, and although I love a joke and could happily join any thread, I will not butt into this forum on a pretext, so it has been an interesting afternoon catching up with people I genuinely know in order to accrue the coveted five posts necessary to be able to contact the original poster of the ad. Glad to see some familiar faces here.

Having done all that, I'm amused and somewhat delighted that the other gent interested in this amp is in a similar situation, having not been a member until yesterday. According to his introductory thread he immediately appealed to the mods for a direct line to Adrian, the seller (and it would appear, to have been instantly granted such). I don't mean this to sound like sour grapes. It's a piece of kit and not important in the scheme of things (although the seller may well think it is). Others might take umbrage at this but what particularly aligns me to my 'competitor' is that he and his family are making their tortuous way back from 'the wilds of Scotland' and as someone who has been denied his fix of said wilds this year, I empathise in every way with that statement. There is no finer place on earth. It's bloody hot. May you and your family return home safely.

As far as I can see he posted for help but someone pointed out that he should have had enough posts to send a PM. There's no indication I can see that he was granted special status to send PMs before making the necessary number of posts.

Audio Al
28-08-2019, 01:46
I'm waiting for a shipping cost as well gents :D

I did as requested by the seller , sent a PM ;)

batteredhaggis
28-08-2019, 09:18
Indeed, Lawrence, I'm sure you are right and I misinterpreted it. I'd like to hear this amp but I'm not going to squabble over it!

Bigman80
28-08-2019, 09:36
Mad how a couple of weeks back there was not a sniff at this amp and now it's being hunted like a virgin at a swingers party.

WHOEVER gets it, well done! . These is an endgame level piece.

struth
28-08-2019, 09:41

Then You would be in error .. Anyone can use pm once introducing themselves and posting the requisite amount of times. that is the way the program works.

batteredhaggis
28-08-2019, 11:31
Hi Grant, thanks for that. I inadvertently read Joe's post asking for PM permission as his first (it was the first post on the second page of his welcome thread). A simple mistake on my part. I don't know if you spotted it but I did say I was in error above.

I wish whoever buys this marvellous amp all the best and I hope Adrian gets a smooth sale.

Best regards,
Jamie

struth
28-08-2019, 11:39
no bother jamie. it was just for the record.

Audio Al
28-08-2019, 11:39
Mad how a couple of weeks back there was not a sniff at this amp and now it's being hunted like a virgin at a swingers party.

WHOEVER gets it, well done! . These is an endgame level piece.

Did you not notice the price drop from £3900 down to £2900 > I did :eyebrows: thats why I am on it :)
Hopefully it will be mine all mine , :D

Bigman80
28-08-2019, 11:43
Did you not notice the price drop from £3900 down to £2900 > I did :eyebrows: thats why I am on it :)
Hopefully it will be mine all mine , :DOh, that'll explain that then lol.

Good on you Al.

Holy Moses
28-08-2019, 12:27
Oh well in for a penny......
I've just tried to send something along these lines twice to Adrian now. However as his inbox is full I may as well take the unusual step of posting it up here. Since I copied it the second time round, after losing a better worded first attempt and much swearing :). Hopefully it still manages to clarify my position and feelings to both Adrian and other contributors.
Thank you all. Keep enjoying your systems. Both as they are, and the upgrades you treat yourselve's to.
In particular, keep up the good work Lawrence. Don't know how you manage to be so active across so many forums. You always have a positive and helpful input to give. I don't know how you find the time. Hope the family are well:
Peace out all.

Hello Adrian,

Just sent a lengthy and far better put reply. But appear to yet again have cocked it right up!
Oh well. Some things really are not meant to be are they. At least it saved you the trouble of reading it.

To summarise:
Should the power amp still be available, then I would very much like to take it for your asking price. I simply and sadly cannot stretch to the combo with the Luxman pre right now. Much as i would love to.
No worries if not, completely your prerogative to sell to whomever you choose. If so, then I wish you all the best with it and even more so with the noble venture that the funds are earmarked for.

I also apologised profusely for any part that i may have unwittingly played in the ugly scramble and kerfuffle being played out on your sales thread. Sorry.
To clarify, and as others have kindly pointed out. I have done nothing wrong. As has been assumed and claimed by another. I have not risen to his barely veiled and unfounded accusation, in an attempt to keep your thread on track.
Sadly I find this keyboard warrior mentality from a minority to ruin most of these well meaning forums. So typically keep my head down.

On the off chance you require my address for shipping, just let me know.

Otherwise apologies once again.
Stay safe and have fun out there.
Happy listening,
Joe

Audio Al
28-08-2019, 12:38
Oh No , did you need to post this on the forum a PM is just that A PM , I can see it kicking off now :sofa:

batteredhaggis
28-08-2019, 12:43
Hi Joe,
I think you have rather misunderstood my post and in no way meant it as any sort of attack on you. As I said above, I made the mistake of assuming your post asking for PM permissions at the top of Page 2 of your thread was in fact your first post. I was wrong and I'm deeply sorry if I have caused you offence. You haven't done anything wrong. I personally don't mind who ends up with the amp and have said so in a PM to Adrian. Those that know me personally know I would never set about stirring up an ugly scramble. I was in the same position as you joining the forum and didn't get my five posts in quick enough to be able to PM Adrian.

I hope you got back from Scotland safely and if you do end up with the amp, I really hope you enjoy it.
Very best wishes,
Jamie

Holy Moses
28-08-2019, 12:45
Oh No , did you need to post this on the forum a PM is just that A PM , I can see it kicking off now :sofa:

Probably not. Have never done anything like it before.
To be fair no crime has been committed here (at any stage) and it is just a (very nice) amp at the end of the day.
Sadly, I simply don't have the time right now should it 'kick off'.
However, if anyone in particular would really like to then just extend me the courtesy of delaying kick off until the weekend. When I might have a few minutes spare, and I'm all yours....

Holy Moses
28-08-2019, 12:55
Cheers Jamie.
TBH it was the claim that I immediately asked for assistance that grated.
To clarify: I initially never asked for help. I PM'd Adrian and waited a day (as he never received it). I tried again, this time adding PM to the thread, in case he had missed it.
Some kind soul then explained the 5 post criteria without request.
Having surpassed this, I was receiving a message that I still could not PM and to contact Admin. This is the stage I asked for help, since try as I might, I could not fathom how.

I have no doubt that you are a thoroughly decent chap. I also apologise, keyboard warrior is no doubt a bit OTT.

Everyone has been very helpful through this whirlwind introduction to the forum.
BTW has anybody an interest in watches? If so you should see how they behave over on TZ-UK, in a particularly savage corner of the forum known as 'the bearpit'
Nothing like this civility.

Hope you all have a great afternoon and that the sun is shining, with music sounding good, wherever you are.

batteredhaggis
28-08-2019, 13:00
I'm enjoying being on this forum, Joe, not that I'm going to abandon the Wam, it's just good to have a change of view. Much as I would love a chance at the Ref75, I'm happy to give up my place in the queue (wherever that is) to you. On one condition - if I'm ever up near Cambridge - I'd love a listen!

ovlov854
28-08-2019, 15:30
So............is it sold or not and if so which lucky bugger won?????

Audio Al
28-08-2019, 16:26
Who knows ? :confused:

Seller was on the forum >Last Activity Today 16:04

Audio Al
28-08-2019, 16:42
OK Gents , I have had a think on this and am withdrawing my offer to buy , Not sure where i was in the order ?

Hope the new owner is happy with the amp :)

farflungstar
28-08-2019, 20:20
What have I missed lol. I've only been offline 24 hours and all hell seems to have broken out. Guys please don't fall out with each other over a bloody power amp - who knows when we might need each other.

I've been offline because it's coming up to the new academic year next week and I've a zillion things to sort out at school (s).

As I said before, I've sold my beloved front end and vinyl to help fund my second school and also a huge tax bill - there really is no other motive. I'm extremely reluctant to let the amp (or luxman) go as my plan (for solace) was to buy a great CD player in the autumn and be happy with a top notch CD based system.

A few have asked for postage to be included, or for couriers id prefer not to use (this is an 11k€ amp and deserves the best shipping), which whittles it down to two serious offers.

I am currently deciding what to do about that - as my family have given me a lifeline (tax bill) which means I'm okay for around ten days before I may or may not need funds. I have spoken with one of the parties about this and asked that they give me till then to say one way or other if the amp is leaving my system. I will do the same with the other party now.

Again, please don't fall out - it's so easy to misconstrue a load of text on a screen - but knowing how genuine and great 99% of members are on here I know no one means to offend.

Right - now I'll try and empty my bloody mailbox!