PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Impact T-Amp

horace
21-05-2010, 07:20
Bought one of these to try with my horns while the valve amps are out of commission.

In spite of the positive reviews, I didn't dare hope for too much from twenty quid's worth of cheap plastic lump.

However....

:stalks:

Excuse me while I pick my jaw up from the floor!

I must be imagining it (surely?), but I'm tempted to say that this is one of the best amps I've heard!

Nah, that can't be right....

Can it?

Truly shocking!

:)

Martin

Ali Tait
21-05-2010, 07:45
Yes these Tripath amps are very good.I have a Hlly T-amp 90,and I've just managed to get hold of the amp Duncan built with the same chip.Should get it next week sometime.The SQ is astonishing for the money.If you want something even better,try the Hlly T-amp 10,which will be plenty powerful enough for the Jericos.Some folk say it's the best sounding of all the Hlly amps.

horace
21-05-2010, 08:09
Yes these Tripath amps are very good.I have a Hlly T-amp 90,and I've just managed to get hold of the amp Duncan built with the same chip.Should get it next week sometime.The SQ is astonishing for the money.If you want something even better,try the Hlly T-amp 10,which will be plenty powerful enough for the Jericos.Some folk say it's the best sounding of all the Hlly amps.

Cheers Ali - it will be a couple of months until my amps are fixed, so I was wondering about getting a better T-Amp (with decent connectors). Ebay is full of them - The Chinese Hlly ones work out about the same price as the Brit built Temple Audio Bantam ones (once you take import duty into account). Is there likely to be much between them?

I'm actually very happy with the bog-standard T-Amp, but a smidge more power wouldn't go amiss, and those crappy speaker clips are horrid.

Cheers

Martin

Ali Tait
21-05-2010, 08:30
I don't know about the Bantam,I've read some folk love them,and some think they are crap.I can only speak for the Hlly I have,which uses a different chip to the lower powered ones.I think it's a very good amp for the cash,and it drives my statics really well.I havwe read that the t-amp 10,the lowest powered one,has a sweeter sound than the rest.

The Vinyl Adventure
21-05-2010, 10:07
horace, i have a bantam t i would happily loan you untill you get back on your feet amp wise

The Vinyl Adventure
21-05-2010, 10:09
... i think its good... im just using an old b&o 1500 instead at that mo

Ali Tait
21-05-2010, 11:17
Be interesting to compare the bantam to the Hlly sometime.

Ali Tait
21-05-2010, 11:19
BTW Martin,have you managed to get the OTL's repaired? I know someone who could do it.

horace
21-05-2010, 11:58
BTW Martin,have you managed to get the OTL's repaired? I know someone who could do it.

Not as such. I have spoken to a very nice chap who can rewind the transformer, but he is miles away and can't do it for ages as he's away on hols.

I'll drop you a PM.

Cheers

Martin

horace
05-06-2010, 15:17
A very long listening session last night.

There is definitely something special about the relationship between my horns and Hamish's Bantam T-Amp. I experienced imaging and transparency that I haven't heard before.

Not a bad result from a £200 pair of speakers, a £50 ancient high-end DVD player and an amp worth £100! My old Linn system cost more than 10 times that and didn't do many things as well.

Jawdropping.

Class-T has been a true revelation to me.

:)

Martin

Ali Tait
05-06-2010, 15:22
Agreed.For the money it's unbeatable.

aquapiranha
05-06-2010, 20:03
Welcome to the club Martin! I was using a trends TA10.1 a couple of years ago with my Sachiko RLH's and I was bowled over by it. So much so that I did a bit of modding on it and it was even better. Then I made the mistake of selling it and trying all sorts of amps. I then changed to the OB speakers I use now and I have used a four channel Tripath amp on them fron Sure electronics and they sound great, cosidering the amp costs £40! I am not suggesting they are the BEST amps of course, but for the money they are just bloody silly good and I enjoy the 'valve like' lucidity too.

Steev