PDA

View Full Version : GARRARD 401 - Restoration thread!!

Wakefield Turntables
26-05-2019, 18:14
The Garrard 401 (39432) Restoration Pt I - Am I nuts...

I've always wanted a 401 and after restoring a 301 I thought I'd have a crack at one of these. The resto must be easier than my Goldring G99 which over 2 years to finish. This 401 (39432) does have some problem with the paint work but that's pretty easy to fix and I can see I'm going to have fun stripping this down and getting a decent finish. This project is going to be a complete nuts and bolts restoration with everything being stripped and re-assembled, I'll be plonking this in a nice plinth and then comparing against my 301. I've already got a Phoenix Engineering Tachometer and PSU system organised so this will be completely stable to within 0.001 RPM!

The mat and metal disc are looking a bit worse for wear but these are easy fixes. The grey top plate is shot and so are switches and legends :eek:.

The wiring is the typical rats nest of crap! I'll be rewiring all this. I do know that the thing turns on and spins!!

The deck should be showing up sometime next week, so as ever stay tuned! :cool:

Bigman80
26-05-2019, 18:20
Sweet Christmas thats a right state.

I enjoy your threads. Looking forward to it!

brian2957
26-05-2019, 20:52
Aye looking forward to this thread too . You don't half like to give yourself some work Andy :)

Wakefield Turntables
27-05-2019, 06:32
Thanks Gentlemen, should be a fun ride.

Columbo
27-05-2019, 09:24
I was looking at that. Can I ask how much it went for?

Wakefield Turntables
27-05-2019, 10:44
I was looking at that. Can I ask how much it went for?

Peanuts and fair words!!

Primalsea
28-05-2019, 07:10
These are solid machines. I’ve had mine for quite a few years and bear in mind how old it is all I’ve had to replace is the neon strobe lamp, the spring on the idler wheel armature and the idler wheel bearing. Runs dead smooth as well.

Chas B
28-05-2019, 14:46
The 401 is a lovely thing, really enjoy mine!

Wakefield Turntables
02-06-2019, 17:59
The Garrard 401 (39432) Restoration Pt II - It's landed.

The 401 is now sitting unpacked in my office. It arrived late last night, it was extremely well packed but boy does it need some work. It's also got that just stored in a barn for twenty years smell, lovely. I will be fetching the thing home tomorrow so with a little luck I should have some better photo's. It already looks like the mat is a complete bin job. So, it looks like I'll be looking over the web for bits and pieces. The spare parts market for the Garrard's seems to be very heavily biased towards the 301. Ah, well, until next time.

Stay tuned.... :cool:

brian2957
02-06-2019, 18:14
Good luck Andy , and remember the piccies :)

Wakefield Turntables
06-06-2019, 19:52
The Garrard 401 (39432) Restoration Pt III - Lets begin...

A bumper update tonight. So lets start with the platter mat.

The platter mat is quite a flimsy thing compared to the beefy 301 offering. My example was encrusted with 20 years of barn storage crap. Warm soapy water only gets you so far!

The central metal disc had lost it's mojo and had actually fallen off. Heavily corroded and generally not looking very good.

6 hours, yes SIX hours of elbow grease, wet and dry paper 60 all the way to 2500 grit and we end up with this.

It's still not perfect and it does have some small scratches and pits but I'm keeping all the original parts. A new mat would have an easier option but I preferred to save the £60 for other bits the deck may need.

The bearing needed quite a lot of work. I removed small nuts, bolts, screws and gave them an ultrasonic clean.

I then needed to dismantle the bearing.

See Part IV

Wakefield Turntables
06-06-2019, 20:03
The Garrard 401 (39432) Restoration Pt IV - Bearing up...

The thrust pad is showing typical wear. The paper gasket is in good condition but the felt ring which protects the top of the spindle is knackered. I have ordered replacement parts for these.

The base of the spindle is showing signs of wear. The spindle will be going to Martin for a shaft polish and the base reground.

I've polished the spindle head and removed all the corrosion that can be seem in the pictures in part 1.

And this is what the cleaning fluid looks like after cleaning the bearing.

The bearing will ultimately be going to Martin Bastin for polish and assessment. There are still parts of the bearing which need cleaning but that's for another session. I'm currently working on the platter but that's for another update!

TAD12
09-06-2019, 14:47
Hi, just sent a PM. Please advise if you wish to take further. Thank you.
T.

Wakefield Turntables
09-06-2019, 18:38
The Garrard 401 (39432) Restoration Pt V - Naked.

Lots of progress today. The platter is now fully restored. Last night it received several coats of primer and eventually I settled for a matt black outer rim finish. I had to then file away (very gently) the strobe markings and this took all morning! The platter mat is also fully restored I fixed the central metal disc in place with double sided 3M stick tape. The bearing is also party refurbished but if still needs some work doing to the screw and case to make it more cosmetically presentable. I'm awaiting a new thrust pad and paper gasket before it goes for a diamond polish to Martin Bastin. The 401's faceplate has also been refurbished. The faceplate is held onto the outer chassis by 6 small grub screws, needless to say they had rusted into place but with a little WD40 they eased free. I ultrasonically cleaned them and ground away and remnants of rust. The three main selector switches on the 401 needed some attention. The outer faceplates are badly corroded so I have ordered 3 of these and they should arrive next week and should very easily provide a quick cosmetic fix. I also took the time to clean the three copper mounting washers and ultrasonically cleaned and polished the three mounting screws. The three selector switches look as good as new. The faceplate also needed cleaning and this was achieved with a little diluted surgical spirit to cut through the grime. Cotton buds were used so as not to scratch the delicate chrome finish. The faceplate has suffered badly from corrosion so I have had to wet and dry it down to remove excess corrosion. I have had to order a new faceplate to replace the speed selector, on/off, and break speed markings. The "Garrard 401" writing on the right of the faceplate was sanded and primed it will be sprayed the Garrard grey colour.

The 401 is now completely broken down. Here is a shot of the Chassis, completely naked :stalks:. Next week's job is to strip this down to bare metal and get ready for priming. I've put all loose screw, nuts, bolts etc into loads of envelopes with copious notes detailing the correct parts sequences this has also been backed up with over 200 pictures to act as assembly guides. Finally the linkages, wiring loom and motor, all are waiting for refurbishment.

And here's a quick picture of 20 hours worth of work, not much to show!! These are the completed bits. The faceplate will be resprayed and lacquered tomorrow.

Well that's it for tonight. I'll be spending the rest of this evening looking for new springs and bit's for the motor. As ever, stay tuned! :cool:

TAD12
09-06-2019, 22:15
Excellent work, Andrew. You may know already, but you can look up any colour in a Pantone chart to get just the right shade of Garrard grey. Literally hundreds of shades to choose from. Thanks for the pm.
Tad.

Wakefield Turntables
10-06-2019, 20:32
Excellent work, Andrew. You may know already, but you can look up any colour in a Pantone chart to get just the right shade of Garrard grey. Literally hundreds of shades to choose from. Thanks for the pm.
Tad.

Thanks TAD. I'll be updating the thread soon.

sph
12-06-2019, 11:50
Nice work Andrew.

Wakefield Turntables
12-06-2019, 15:36
Nice work Andrew.

Thanks Sien, I might try your Garrard bearing on it for a but of experimentation.

Wakefield Turntables
16-06-2019, 19:43
The Garrard 401 (39432) Restoration Pt VI - All scrubbed up!

Another boat load of work done on the 401 today. The first picture shows the 401 as it is now. The chassis has been completely stripped, primed, painted and lacquered. It will be another 24 hours before I started bolting things back onto the chassis. The faceplate has been completely restored and the three switches have three new scratch free face plates. The strove light is missing and none of the linkages have been attached yet to the underside of the chassis.

A little more work today on the bearing. The pic shows some of the new replacement parts. As you can see a new thrust pad, paper gasket and wool oil ring for the top of the bearing. The bearing still need some work. I will be yellow zinc plating at some point. The bearing casing needs some cleaning but otherwise it's nearly finished.

I started work on the motor today. I removed all the e-clips holding the motor suspension in place. I also replaced all the motors springs with new parts and I recycled the motor spring rubbers. I cleaned them up and they look as good as new. I have replaced all the e-clips with new and I'm in the process of cleaning all the spring clips. I also scrubbed and cleaned the motor cage, it's now looking very clean indeed.

I've also restored part of the idler wheel mechanism, check out these two photo's. A before and after shot. This took several hours of hard graft. I've also cleaned down the magnet holder and resurfaced the magnet in the idler wheel mechanism.

The motor is a complete wreck at this moment and it still need further breaking down and repainting. The wire loom needs cleaning and the spark suppressor case is looking quite manky! There are also many components from the motor which need cleaning and rust removal and then re-plating. All in all good progress is being made and I'm hoping to get the motor finished by this time next week.

As ever stay tuned....... :cool:

Shovel_Knight
16-06-2019, 20:27
Looks great!

How did you transfer new decals to the faceplate?

Wakefield Turntables
17-06-2019, 18:36
Looks great!

How did you transfer new decals to the faceplate?

Thanks for your kind words, Pavel. I used a brand new face plate and no decals.

Wakefield Turntables
26-06-2019, 19:52
The Garrard 401 (39432) Restoration Pt VII - The most boring post of all time!

I've been busy. Here's my diary of progress so far :-

18/6/2019
- Motor chasis stripped, cleaned and polished.
- All motor tension springs replaced with new, old motor dampeners refurbished.
- All motor tension springs remounted, with all the E-clips to replace corroded e-clips.
- All motor tension spring pins ultrasonically cleaned and polished, now corrosion free.
- Magnet break mount cleaned and magner resurfaced.
- The chassis mounted cable tie holder with dismantled, ultrasonically cleaned, polished and then mounted onto the chassis.

19/6/2019
- Cleaned wire loom.
- Replace x2 wire ties that had perished.
- Cleaned and degreased motor case.
- Spray motor case matt black and then clear laquered.
- Power lead mount on brown motor board stripped, ultrasonically cleaned and polished.
- Spark supressor components checked and cleaned.
- Spark supressor casing cleaned, old holding tape removed and replaced.
- Strobe light dismantled, cleaned and reassembled.

20/6/2019
- Cleaned all earthing spades
- Removed old power lead cable from power supply housing.
- Power supply housing board cleaned.
- Power supply housing nuts and bolts stripped out, ultrasonically cleaned, polished, and resprayed when needed.
- Removed corrosion from top of idler brake spindle.
- Motor bolts cleaned, nuts polished and black washers resprayed.
- Replacement Idler wheel bushings and bearings purchased.
- Replacement motor bushings and felt pad resorvoirs purchased.

21/6/2019
- Degreased all linkages and gave them a primary clean and lubrication.
- Polished bearing case.
- Soaked bearing spindle, new thrust pad and wool washer in Martin Bastin oil for 24 hours.
- Replaced bearing spindle E-Clip with new one.

22/7/2019
- Dismantled and cleaned the idler wheel housing mechanism.
- Removed idler wheel bushes and installed new replacements.
- Resprayed idler wheel thrust plate.
- Cleaned idler wheel edge and polished idler wheel spindle.
- Started to soak new motor bushes and felts in oil for 24 hours.
- Fresh oil in new idler wheel bushes.
- Assembled the bearing for postage to be polished.

23/7/2019
- Resprayed platter break assembly.
- Ultrasonically cleaned, and polished strobe screws.
- Attached unit label.
- Ultrasonically cleaned and polished spark supressor screws, resprayed washers.

24/7/2019
- Ordered M6 threaded rod to start to make new mounting bolts.
- Resprayed mounting bolt e-clips
- Ordered m2.5 hex bolts to finish motor restoration.
- Polished mounting screws for motor frame
- Resprayed washes to mounting screws.
- Bearing mounted onto Garrard 401 chassis.

25/7/2019
- Reassembled the magnetic break together.
- Reattached the speed selector linkages.

26/7/2019
- Polished and removed corrosion from magnetic break linkages.
- Replaced springs in the break linkage.
- Re-assembled part of the motor cage.
- Polished corrosion away from transport screws.
- Replaced new E-Clips into transport screws.
- Reattached the transit clamping plate.

No pictures today. I'm hoping to get all the linkages attached and maybe even the motor rebuilt before the end of the week. I will post some pictures towards the end of the week!

Stay tuned....:cool:

Alex_UK
26-06-2019, 20:52
OMG - I thought mine needed work! (It clearly didn't.) Bravo, Andrew!

(PS - You might want to change the dates on the last few, unless you've got a DeLorean. :) )

RobbieGong
26-06-2019, 21:53
Thorough or what Andy ! Impressive stuf :thumbsup:

Wakefield Turntables
30-06-2019, 19:33
The Garrard 401 (39432) Restoration Pt VIII - Nearly finished already!!

The 401 has been very quick in getting finished. I've included some more pictures to show the progress.

The linkages have been bolted on except the eddy break linkage which has been dismantled and packed away (see later in the post)!

The motor has been completely rebuilt, stripped, repainted. Every component has been polished and ultrasonically cleaned. All solder has been replaced with 10% silver content. The motor received new bushes and felt oil pads from Audiosilente in Italy. It's also received new motor springs and dampeners. The motor has had a fresh oil change.

Photo 3 just shows the 401 as it stands with the bearing installed.

I've decided to get this 401 hot rodded so it's going to Martin Bastin. He's going to be tweaking and fine tuning. I will also be getting a Bastin Plinth which should also decouple the motor. Martin does a number of other mods which should improve the cabling, spark supressor, the bearing and a few other bits. The 401 will also be running a Phoenix Engineering PSU and Tachometer which should be modified to decrease the number of IEC and jacks. I have no idea how long this lot is going to take but it should be pretty cool. Then the really stuff starts as I get to compare against my stock standard Garrard 301!!! :yay:

OMG - I thought mine needed work! (It clearly didn't.) Bravo, Andrew!

(PS - You might want to change the dates on the last few, unless you've got a DeLorean. :) )

Thorough or what Andy ! Impressive stuf :thumbsup:

Thanks guys!

As ever stay tuned!!!! :cool:

Mikeandvan
30-06-2019, 20:26
Restoration is very satisfying, I should do my van sometime!

A.Grail
07-07-2019, 16:41
"I get to compare against my stock standard Garrard 301"

More detail, less pace. One was designed for MONO and had to be constantly tweaked during the production timeline to meet the demands of STEREO transcription. The other was engineered with all that was learned from these efforts (Sadly they missed out on the aesthetic joy of the 301). The 401 was in many ways thwarted by a struggling market position and subsequent buy out by Plessey who cut back on all peripherals and cosmetics in cost saving exercises.

Wakefield Turntables
07-07-2019, 16:48
"I get to compare against my stock standard Garrard 301"

More detail, less pace. One was designed for MONO and had to be constantly tweaked during the production timeline to meet the demands of STEREO transcription. The other was engineered with all that was learned from these efforts (Sadly they missed out on the aesthetic joy of the 301). The 401 was in many ways thwarted by a struggling market position and subsequent buy out by Plessey who cut back on all peripherals and cosmetics in cost saving exercises.

Should be fun when both are sitting next to each other.

Wakefield Turntables
12-07-2019, 17:49
The Garrard 401 (39432) Restoration Pt IX - Going on holiday to Ludlow!

This is a list of what's been done since the last update :-

- Replaced old platter break with new felt break pad.
- Replaced old motor dampening rubbers with new.
- Replaced x3 isolation grommets on idler wheel platform
- Decided to replace all three pivot bushes on linkages.
- Removed further corrosion from the cable retention spring.
- All solder joints in the 401 have been redone but this time with 10% silver solder from Audionote.
- All corroded wshers replaced for new yellow zinc plated washers.
- Motor springs have recieved new damping rubbers.

This first picture shows ~66 old replaced components, altogether I've replaced 82 components in this deck, I've not included the pivot bushes for the linkages, the new fascia on the 401 nameplate and the new chrome covers for the selector switches, or the rivets in the idler wheel housing or motor. The second pictures shows the deck as it is now and I can no longer go any further it will now be driven down to Martin Bastin to get my work checked over, fine tuned and then ultimately re-plinthed in one of his plinths. I've heard that these plinths are not in the same league as the Cushworth plinths but one above the standard birch ply fare which populates eScum.
You will see that this 401 will be graced with a full Phoenix Engineering PSU + Tachometer. Platter stability will be rock steady between +/- 0.001-2 RPM. I have a few other goodies to try out like the beefed up SPH bearing and the the SPH 2.4kg platter mat.

There are further upgrades which could be tried for the 401 including the Audiosilente (AS) Eddy brake disc and replacement idler wheel. AS also produce replacement motor coils for the Garrard 301 but I have seen nothing for the 401 and I have no idea what improvements (if any) they would have over older motor coils. There are several thrust-pad upgrades. The Kokomo which is now on Mk 3, some claim it's ok, some claim it ruins the bearing. Some thrust pad "upgrades" rip-off Martin Bastin's idea's although they don't fully implement his full design. The restoration has been one of love and not financial gain. I could have bought better for the money I've invested but it's mine now and will remain in the collection. I will never sell.

Don't expect any upgrades now for a while as the deck is going on holiday and I'm not sure how long it's goiung to be away. But as ever, stay tuned.. :cool:

Alex_UK
12-07-2019, 18:00
Another great update Andrew, really does look like a labour of love!

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Wakefield Turntables
14-07-2019, 15:47
Another great update Andrew, really does look like a labour of love!

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Thanks Alex. The next update will be something special.

Wakefield Turntables
03-09-2019, 20:08
401 finished. Plinth being made. Nearly completed. Now excited. :eek:

Wakefield Turntables
29-11-2019, 21:39
One week and then the presentation of the restoration. Phew!!

13-03-2020, 10:09
Great thread, any update/photos on the finished 401?

Made in 1968
13-03-2020, 10:13
Hope its exciting & not like all the other same old same old we see, Been on a knife edge for nearly a year now

:D

Wakefield Turntables
13-03-2020, 12:48
Ok I will see what I can do tonight over a whiskey

Wakefield Turntables
13-03-2020, 20:43
The Garrard 401 (39432) Restoration Pt X - Finally....

OK, so rather embarrassed I decided to take a few shots and write a little about the 401 project. So this is what it looks like.

It has 2 arms. An Alphason HRS1000, silver rewired , this take care of MM cartridge duties. The second arm is the SME V-12 which takes care of MC cartridge duties. I've yet to order the Phasemation PP500, but I shall at the end of the month. Vinyl playing duties are being taken care of with either my Garrard 301 or Technics 1210. The plinth is a 25KG Martin Bastin birch ply construction. The Martin Bastin plinth enables 9" and 12" tonearm boards to be mounted quite easily. I've included a close up of the tonearm board for good reason.

If you look closely you will see that the tonearm board design enables good coupling to the plinth. You'll also notice that you can add decoupling rubbers under the screws if you want and even bugger about with different tonearm board materials. I gave the 401 a new paint job. As you can see everything (and I mean everything) has been cleaned, polished, ultrasonically cleaned and re-assembled. The bearing is the original 401 but with Martin Bastin modifications (TOP SECRET)!!!

If you look very carefully you'll notice that the screws holding the motor cage are missing. That's because we have decoupled the motor!

Finally a quick shot showing complete speed stability at 33.3 RPM!

The 401 is silent in operation. It sounds fantastic and has oodles more detail than the 301.

OK, that's it another resto complete!

Made in 1968
13-03-2020, 21:50
Andy why has it took a year to do that?

RobbieGong
13-03-2020, 22:00
The Garrard 401 (39432) Restoration Pt X - Finally....

OK, so rather embarrassed I decided to take a few shots and write a little about the 401 project. So this is what it looks like.

It has 2 arms. An Alphason HRS1000, silver rewired , this take care of MM cartridge duties. The second arm is the SME V-12 which takes care of MC cartridge duties. I've yet to order the Phasemation PP500, but I shall at the end of the month. Vinyl playing duties are being taken care of with either my Garrard 301 or Technics 1210. The plinth is a 25KG Martin Bastin birch ply construction. The Martin Bastin plinth enables 9" and 12" tonearm boards to be mounted quite easily. I've included a close up of the tonearm board for good reason.

If you look closely you will see that the tonearm board design enables good coupling to the plinth. You'll also notice that you can add decoupling rubbers under the screws if you want and even bugger about with different tonearm board materials. I gave the 401 a new paint job. As you can see everything (and I mean everything) has been cleaned, polished, ultrasonically cleaned and re-assembled. The bearing is the original 401 but with Martin Bastin modifications (TOP SECRET)!!!

If you look very carefully you'll notice that the screws holding the motor cage are missing. That's because we have decoupled the motor!

Finally a quick shot showing complete speed stability at 33.3 RPM!

The 401 is silent in operation. It sounds fantastic and has oodles more detail than the 301.

OK, that's it another resto complete!

Well done that man ! :)

Wakefield Turntables
14-03-2020, 08:35
Andy why has it took a year to do that?

Apathy towards the hobby.

Made in 1968
14-03-2020, 15:57
Apathy towards the hobby.

That i can relate to.

scotty38
14-03-2020, 16:24
Nice plinth. Ant of BTE Designs built me something similar, including armboard, for my G99

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49080530282_50edc8ff28_h.jpg

Marra
14-03-2020, 16:56
I like the look of that.

Wakefield Turntables
14-03-2020, 19:02
Well done that man ! :)

Thanks a lot.

Wakefield Turntables
14-03-2020, 19:04
Nice plinth. Ant of BTE Designs built me something similar, including armboard, for my G99

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49080530282_50edc8ff28_h.jpg

I've restored one of these as Well!

Bigbird
17-03-2020, 01:12
Just had a good old read through Andrew and it was fantastic to see the attention to detail and thoroughness you went to. I’m sure it’s paid dividends.

Did you end up using the SPH bearing at any point?

Ive got one here to compare with the new CTC brass offering but Ray seems to think that balls are a big no no in the bearing as they screw the spindle and pad over time? Any thoughts? Surely this would take years of normal usage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

struth
17-03-2020, 01:24
Yeah lovely job

Wakefield Turntables
17-03-2020, 09:10
Just had a good old read through Andrew and it was fantastic to see the attention to detail and thoroughness you went to. I’m sure it’s paid dividends.

Did you end up using the SPH bearing at any point?

Ive got one here to compare with the new CTC brass offering but Ray seems to think that balls are a big no no in the bearing as they screw the spindle and pad over time? Any thoughts? Surely this would take years of normal usage

Thanks very much Karl for your kind words. No I didn't use the SPH bearing although I still own one as a spare. The SPH is good but I think the modded Bastin Bearing bearing (to my ears) is better. I've not tried one of Ray's bearings even though he lives less than two miles from me!! I've heard conflicting opinions about each approach to Garrard bearings, but then you would wouldn't you. I suppose every party has an agenda and ultimately that's to sell a bearing. I have done a LOT of research into Garrard's probably too much! I've spoken to a lot of the current luminaries on the subject, these include Martin Bastin, Terry at Loricraft, Matt at Audiograil, and a few others. The overriding consent of opinion seems to be that the original Garrard bearing when fettled works best. I suppose you might need a larger bearing if your going for over sized platters but I doubt one man in a shed with a lathe will have spent as many man hours or pounds experimenting or listening than a paid laboratory full of staff and designers with infinitely more complex gear for the job. I suppose the big take away is trust your ears.

Yeah lovely job

Thanks Grant, appreciated.

Bigbird
18-03-2020, 07:57
Yeah that’s exactly what I thought to be honest.
I read that Ray said he’d done experiments with balls but after 1000-1500 hours or so they always damaged the spindle/thrust I’m sure my oversized platter and Tenuto would speed that up a touch as they are very heavy .
That amount of hours would equate to a few years worth of spinning for me so if I had to replace the bearing every few years I wouldn’t mind too much anyway.
What exactly does Martin do to the bearings to give such an improvement?

Cheers

Wakefield Turntables
18-03-2020, 17:10
Yeah that’s exactly what I thought to be honest.
I read that Ray said he’d done experiments with balls but after 1000-1500 hours or so they always damaged the spindle/thrust I’m sure my oversized platter and Tenuto would speed that up a touch as they are very heavy .
That amount of hours would equate to a few years worth of spinning for me so if I had to replace the bearing every few years I wouldn’t mind too much anyway.
What exactly does Martin do to the bearings to give such an improvement?

Cheers

Hi Karl,

I'm not sure what Martin does with the bearing. Your bound to get some wear and tear on the thrust plate. I use my 401 2-3 hours every Sunday to listen to Jazz so thar's about 100-150 hours a year, so I'd be looking at taking 10 years to show some wear on my thrust plate if I went for the Kokomo design (the ball bearing mod). So, I'd buy three Kokono thrust plates and that would probably see me to my wooden box! :deceased:. I used a Tenuto and standard platter on my 301 for 5 years and never had any wear on the standard Garrard thrust plate. Thrust plate wear usually means scraping of the platter and a metallic sound when the platter is slowing down when you switch it off, so you could listen out for these noises if you do wear down your thrust plate.

Bigbird
18-03-2020, 18:59
Yes will do. All these thoughts are a long way off for me anyway . My deck is brand new and I have two bearings to see me through now but it’s just nice to speak to the men on the ground that have had experiences with such things to see if there is a general consensus . Cheers Andrew . I look forward to any more updates and thanks for the replies

Karl

Jimbo
13-04-2020, 08:20
Another superb project completed Andy. I had a good read from start to finish this morning and I can see you have done a very thorough job again!

Well done and I am sure this deck will give you years of great analogue listening pleasure!

Could I ask how it compares to your Lenco GL75 and in terms of a restoration project was it easier to do?

Wakefield Turntables
14-04-2020, 20:00
Another superb project completed Andy. I had a good read from start to finish this morning and I can see you have done a very thorough job again!

Well done and I am sure this deck will give you years of great analogue listening pleasure!

Could I ask how it compares to your Lenco GL75 and in terms of a restoration project was it easier to do?

Cheers Jim! I think I answered your question last night on the phone!!

Jimbo
14-04-2020, 20:38
Cheers Jim! I think I answered your question last night on the phone!!

You did indeed!

dahdit
30-06-2020, 13:43
Superb job Andrew and an excellent, informative and very generous thread. It has inspired me to get a 401 out of the loft and have a go at it myself. I bought it from a junk shop in the early 80's on a piece of plywood with a Neat tonearm. It hasn't been spun since apart from a half hearted attempt a few years ago to oil it in the right places more for preservation that anything else. It spins now though... after all those years!

When I can work out how to post pictures I'll start a thread. Thank you!

RobbieGong
30-06-2020, 14:00
Superb job Andrew and an excellent, informative and very generous thread. It has inspired me to get a 401 out of the loft and have a go at it myself. I bought it from a junk shop in the early 80's on a piece of plywood with a Neat tonearm. It hasn't been spun since apart from a half hearted attempt a few years ago to oil it in the right places more for preservation that anything else. It spins now though... after all those years!

See post #14 here Steve https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?52863-Photobucket/page2

I was the same until Al provided this ever so useful and simple to follow post/guide:

(Btw - where it says sing, he means sign. Also when you copy the BBC code, only copy your name in that if you want your name to show, otherwise dont include your name in the copying)

dahdit
30-06-2020, 14:20
Thanks Robbie, does this work...

https://www.flickr.com/gp/88030672@N06/tJa3q7

dahdit
30-06-2020, 14:23
Hmmm... it looks from here that it doesn't. I'll keep trying!!

Sorry Andrew for trashing your most excellent thread. I'll experiment on my own thread!

RobbieGong
30-06-2020, 14:40
Thanks Robbie, does this work...

https://www.flickr.com/gp/88030672@N06/tJa3q7

I got a Flickr site link for logging in to Flickr ....

dahdit
30-06-2020, 14:52
Sorted now Robbie, thanks for your help.

RobbieGong
30-06-2020, 15:53
Sorted now Robbie, thanks for your help.

You're welcome, anytime

Wakefield Turntables
30-06-2020, 18:56

Ah, that's pretty cool thanks, that's what the thread was about. Good luck with the resto.

Wakefield Turntables
24-06-2023, 20:57
The Garrard 401 (39432) Restoration Pt XI - 3 Years and now we see some more updates..........

I've been tweaking my Garrard 301, again! And so I needed a TT to play my Jazz on Sundays, the 401 fitted the bill. It has been a long time since I did any work on the 401 and this post and a few others will hopefully update this thread and detail how my system sounds. I own three systems and currently I'm listening to System 3 (see my signature to see what's in it). I'm using system 3 because my SME 3012 is going on holiday upto Scotland for some surgery. Surgery is needed because the cartridge pins in the tonearm are stuck which is really common on these old SME's and as a consequence we have lost a channel which in this instance is the right channel. The 401 has replaced the Heybrook TT2 which I own and think is one of the best spring suspension TT's ever devised, it's good, but not as good as the 401. I'll post more tomorrow and some pictures......

Stay tuned...:cheers:

Jimbo
25-06-2023, 05:56
look forward to the pics and a continuation of this project Andy:cool:

Wakefield Turntables
25-06-2023, 08:59
Thanks Jim, no-one seems to be posting anything like this anymore. A bit sad really!! :(

Jimbo
25-06-2023, 09:22
Thanks Jim, no-one seems to be posting anything like this anymore. A bit sad really!! :(

It is a bit thin on the ground for posts like this, but this is not the only forum that has gone a bit quiet. I think the great heyday of audio forum participation and enthusiasm is waning. Lots of folk now fall into the following categories.

1. Create interesting content and participate enthusiastically in forum content.
2. Occasionally add a comment.
3. Lurk and very rarely contribute anything.

I feel that the majority of folk on forums are now in category 3.

Maybe most folk are either very happy where they are or couldn't be bothered?:)

Wakefield Turntables
25-06-2023, 18:38
It is a bit thin on the ground for posts like this, but this is not the only forum that has gone a bit quiet. I think the great heyday of audio forum participation and enthusiasm is waning. Lots of folk now fall into the following categories.

1. Create interesting content and participate enthusiastically in forum content.
2. Occasionally add a comment.
3. Lurk and very rarely contribute anything.

I feel that the majority of folk on forums are now in category 3.

Maybe most folk are either very happy where they are or couldn't be bothered?:)

I try to be option one but admit to being too tired most nights to make any decent contributions!

Wakefield Turntables
25-06-2023, 18:46
The Garrard 401 (39432) Restoration Pt XII - System 3

I have added a few more photo's so that people can see what System 3 looks like. So, here it is in all it's glory.

https://i.ibb.co/7RbGvwd/IMG-0620.jpg

I really need to do more with the 401 as the Martin Bastin plinth is just sitting on top of the rack and not really being isolated from any of the vibration coming from any of the other components in the system. I do have some very thick Sorbothane in the garage, I'll be making some nice feet when I have a spare 30 minutes in the garage.

https://i.ibb.co/YTF2RJG/IMG-0621.jpg

The above picture shows a couple of upgrades. Firstly JICO SAS/S stylus for the SC35C and secondly a Panzerholz SME tonearm mount I made for the SME V-12, it's a bit rough and ready but fits perfectly and no-one see's the rough edges!!!

https://i.ibb.co/kDbdXXD/IMG-0623.jpg

Finally, not a very good shot but here's the JICO SAS/S fitted to the SC35C.

I have more things planned for this system so, as ever, stay tuned..... :cheers:

Jimbo
25-06-2023, 18:56
Great photos and update Andy:thumbsup:

Wakefield Turntables
25-06-2023, 19:13
Great photos and update Andy:thumbsup:

I thank-you very much.

kirstysdad
26-06-2023, 16:42
I very much regret selling mine...

Wakefield Turntables
26-06-2023, 18:06
I very much regret selling mine...

Find a knackered one like me and do it up!